PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Platinum out! What's new, what's not?

Dark-San
21st March 2009, 06:09 AM
By the time you finished reading this post, the long awaited Pokemon Platinum would out in US major departmental stores this weekend. As a customer waiting outside the United States, it will only be up to three months before we get the goods sadly. So you Americans get to have a lead in building up your team and experimenting with them before us.

I have not been busy catching up with the Pokemon community business for a long time since Pearl first came out. Been busy for quite a while but it is for personal reason. However just Platinum's release alone has generated quite a hype here amongst my friends. I am not very sure of getting this one yet since it is still nonetheless the same map, which I had played under Pearl. Also, I have also heard that the Pokemons captured would be the same.

If that would be the case, there should not be much difference from playing Pearl or even Diamond itself. So would purchasing Platinum be even worth it? In this case, maybe I will leave it to the real experts here to deliver the verdict and their expectations. Just maybe I might change my mind to get one.

DarkestLight
21st March 2009, 01:07 PM
There's no reason to buy it EXCEPT for the Tournament >>

And for those people that dun use altering devices on their games-the chance to get the stupid flower for Shaymin and to have transforming Giratina. But that's me.

Jeff
21st March 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm sticking with Diamond. The only reason I'll get Platinum is if I lose Diamond, considering the only reason I got Emerald was because I lost Ruby. The few upgrades over DP aren't enough to interest me. The new Rotom forms do look cool, but I'm sure we'll have an easier way to get them in the 5th gen as with the Deoxys forms in Gen 4.

Oh, by the way, threads don't belong in this main forum, they have to go in one of the subforums.

Dark-San
21st March 2009, 01:27 PM
Oh, by the way, threads don't belong in this main forum, they have to go in one of the subforums.

I figured out that Brian will move it when the Platinum subforum gets created. But at the current moment, there isn't such subforum to start off with.

Poryhedron
21st March 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm guessing the Diamond/Pearl subforum will be renamed the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum subforum.

By the way, you say the pokémon captured will be the same...let me post some info I found I-forget-where. Probably Serebii. It's the version-exclusives for Platinum.

MURKROW AND MISDREAVUS
These pokémon are counterparts in Diamond and Pearl. Platinum has NEITHER.

GLAMEOW AND STUNKY
These pokémon are counterparts in Diamond and Pearl. Platinum has NEITHER.

TRAPINCH
This pokémon in not in Platinum.

CLAMPERL
This pokémon in not in Platinum.

THE LEGENDARY BIRDS
These legends, unobtainable in DP, will wander Sinnoh in Platinum's post-game.

THE LEGENDARY GOLEMS
These are obtainable only if you have a promo item from the 11th Movie. Pbbth.

Blademaster
21st March 2009, 07:13 PM
I'll probably buy this solely for the purpose of having a Wi-Fi compatible game/DS. Then I'll trade all my Pokemon to someone, have that someone trade them back to me, and-

Oh wait. I can't trade my Pokemon because of the non-compatible DS/game. :sweat: Gamestop, here I come. At least Diamond will net me some more store credit.

Chris 2.1
21st March 2009, 07:57 PM
I always got one of the two main games then the counterpart, and tended to find Crystal and Emerald more enjoyable than their main counterparts. Graphically they do a bit more, Platinum has some fantastic move tutors and from what I've seen some areas (Eterna Forest springs to mind) is fantastic.

I have neither Diamond or Pearl yet, so if I were to get a game logically I'd grab Platinum. But after seeing the unavailable Pokemon....I'm not convinced! I really like Murkrow, Misdreavus and Stunky, and even Glameow is ok. Having acceses to none of them is a bit lame :/

Jeff
21st March 2009, 08:54 PM
The GTS is a wonderful thing Chris.

Telume
5th April 2009, 02:19 AM
Warning: IF you choose to keep Diamond and Pearl, you will NOT be able to compete.

JP Tournaments have already banned Diamond and Pearl from being used, US tournaments will probably do the same.

Why?

1 word: Hypnosis.

(The accuracy for this move was lowered in Platinum back to 60 iirc.)

Starry Might
9th April 2009, 02:41 PM
^- Really? :o

Anyhow, even though I already have "Diamond", I went ahead and got "Platinum", and I'm liking it! :keke: (Right now, I'm level grinding my Pokemon in the Eterna Forest with Cheryl.)

Chris 2.1
9th April 2009, 04:21 PM
Jeff: Oh shit yea...ha! I completely forgot about that whole thing. Would be a great way to get my hands on the Pokemon I can't get (Slowpoke, Deoxys, Jirachi, Mew etc). Whats the GTS like for reliability?

DarkestLight
9th April 2009, 04:32 PM
Really reliable, actually :o Usually get the Pokemon I want within a few hours. Jut finally started Platinum. Already different to me...

classy_cat18
9th April 2009, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty glad I got Platinum. For one thing, you don't have to wait until the National Dex to get Scyther! There are Pokemon in Platinum that I don't have in Diamond (Duskull) that I can trade, and vice versa (Trapinch). And any Pokemon I don't have in either, I can get from other people and the GTS.

And there'll be little chance that I have loads of spare shards like I do on Diamond. If I'm not using the Move Tutors, I'll be giving them to the guy at Fuego Fireworks.

Anyway, I'm currently at Snowpoint. Thought that I wanted a change from Charizard so now I'm training my Flareon.

Chris 2.1
9th April 2009, 06:15 PM
Is the GTS a bit like "Weedle 4 Deoxys anyone" or is it kinda easy enough to do. I have loads of Feebas and 1/2/3rd gen starters. Even a Shiny Growlithe and a spare Mewtwo.

Man I need a DS first.

classy_cat18
9th April 2009, 06:22 PM
They do have quite a bit of those crazy offers (Combee for Deoxys) but you'll get what you need as long as you offer a good Pokemon. For example, I offered a male Eevee and got a female Dratini in return.

Chris 2.1
9th April 2009, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know if the Uk Shaymin event works on Platinum or if its just D/P?

Muffin
9th April 2009, 08:57 PM
Is the GTS a bit like "Weedle 4 Deoxys anyone" or is it kinda easy enough to do. I have loads of Feebas and 1/2/3rd gen starters. Even a Shiny Growlithe and a spare Mewtwo.

Man I need a DS first.

Yeah the GTS is pretty bad about that its hard to find a pokemon you want... there are people who put a lvl 47 Dialga up asking for a lvl 100 Dialga

It is kind of sad really but sometimes you will find people who just practically give stuff away.

Also a Sh-SH- SHINY Growlithe! I am truly Jealous when you get a DS I will totally trade you my Shiny Golem for it!

classy_cat18
9th April 2009, 11:19 PM
Does anyone know if the Uk Shaymin event works on Platinum or if its just D/P?

It's specifically for Platinum.