PDA

View Full Version : The Daily News 2.0

Heald
31st March 2009, 12:00 PM
The Daily News

BREAKING STORY!

Daily News thread becomes too large! Second thread created!

---

Also, the last news story was Dragoknight posting about Some kid being starved to death for not saying Amen (http://bigpondnews.com/articles/World/2009/03/31/Mum_pleads_guilty_in_US_cult_death_317440.html). Tragic.

And here's some news from me:

British Army preparing to leave Iraq (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7973403.stm)

This is the first good news I've heard for a long time; finally, after years of being bogged down in this farce, our government has pulled its head out of its arse and is bringing the boys out of a war they never should have been in in the first place.

By May 31st, most of the 4000 UK troops in Iraq will have been withdrawn. 179 UK personnel has died so far, and hopefully no one else will have to die. Those deaths are on the heads of Tony Blair and the rest of the useless government that decided to throw thousands of lives at risk in such a haphazard fashion, plus the countless lives of innocent civilians killed in Iraq through the total mismanagement of this war by this government. May all those murdered in this fiasco rest in peace.

Mew Master
31st March 2009, 03:57 PM
In response to Dragoknights comment.

This just makes me mad. Similar to the parents who do nothing but pray for their child to get healthy instead of taking them to trained medical professionals who can save their child, instead doing nothing but wishful thinking and their child dies.

It frankly pisses me off.

Roy Karrde
1st April 2009, 09:27 PM
Okay so is this just ego? Is he just a bad gift giver? Is it a April Fools Joke? What?!

Obama's bad gift giving strikes again (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/04/what-does-one-g.html)

So this has been batted about all day as a possible April Fools Joke, and I really hope it is. He gives the Queen a Ipod...which she apparently already has one. And it contains pictures of her from her trip over here. As well as....Pictures of himself, and....Audio of his speeches.

Because as we all know, the Queen of England just so wants to hear a very good speech in between her songs.

Jeff
1st April 2009, 09:44 PM
Well, the gift exchange with the prime minister wasn't exactly even either. I'm thinking Obama is just a bad gift giver.

Heald
2nd April 2009, 04:49 AM
To be honest, there is almost nothing the Queen hasn't got, so no matter what Obama could give her, she probably has already got one. Even if he rolled a cigar using the original US Constitution as paper, she would probably have one already.

And honestly, I found it hilarious Obama gave our Prime Minister Gordon Brown a set of DVDs that are unplayable in our DVD region. Considering Brown is one of the worst Prime Ministers in one of the most corrupt governments that wasn't even elected, Obama should not have treated him any differently than an African dictator or a warlord.

Pichu Luver
2nd April 2009, 06:19 PM
A bit of ridiculousness,

Canadian PM misses G20 photo (http://www.thestar.com/article/612344)

¬¬''' He says he was talking to officials but I'm more inclined to believe the bathroom story. *cough* Lol, I wonder what's worse, that he missed it or no one noticed XD.

Course then the Italian PM missed the second. So maybe third times the charm? :sweat2:

Drago
2nd April 2009, 11:11 PM
Funny how everyone has such a fervent opinion on how silly the Canadian is for missing the photo opportunity, and then gets so defensive whenever someone mentions the ills of their country. No doubt he just didn't want to stand there with all the plebs. :D

Also, Lorn from Angel died (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/5472637/angel-actor-hallett-dead-33/). I had liked him in Angel, and would have liked to have seen his career continue to flourish in some capacity. A real shame. :(

Katie
4th April 2009, 09:28 PM
Re: Obama's gift, I don't think it's that bad of a gift. I believe the pictures were of her on her visits, it's always nice to have pictures of yourself when you visit interesting places or people. The songs were show tunes, old people love show tunes. Plus a "rare musical songbook signed by Richard Rodgers" which isn't exactly easy to come by. I think it shows more thought than a signed photograph of herself; seriously, who does that?

I think we'd all enjoy it if world leaders gave each other tigers and jewelry with gigantic gems and ridiculously priceless art, but times are achangin'

classy_cat18
4th April 2009, 10:11 PM
Also, Lorn from Angel died (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/5472637/angel-actor-hallett-dead-33/). I had liked him in Angel, and would have liked to have seen his career continue to flourish in some capacity. A real shame. :(

Dude, he was my favorite character! That totally sucks!

Roy Karrde
4th April 2009, 10:12 PM
North Korea just launched their rocket. Shit has hit the fan.

Edit: There is a video up by the Writer/Producer of Angel as a tribute to The Host/Lorne

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=61819946724&ref=mf

Heald
7th April 2009, 05:17 AM
EU to force ISPs to spy on their customers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7985339.stm)

A new EU law coming into effect this week means all ISPs will have to store data on everything their customers do, I guess so the EU can make sure no one is speaking ill of their wonderful super-state. I can't wait until the EU gestapo turns up at my door arresting me for thought-crimes.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
7th April 2009, 06:37 AM
Hehe, one more thing to unite me and Heald. My beloved neighbour Sweden has the eagerness to ignore the change, but they can't just pretend they haven't noticed a thing, can they?

Jeff
7th April 2009, 05:10 PM
Wisconsin man charged with arson says he was cleaning with gasoline while smoking (http://www.startribune.com/nation/42611282.html?elr=KArks7PYDiaK7DUvDE7aL_V_BD77:Dii %20%20UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aU7DYaGEP7vDEh7P:DiUX)

Yeah, I'm sure that was a cigarette he was smoking.:rolleyes:

Heald
8th April 2009, 05:41 PM
WHY SO ECSTASY? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7990927.stm)

lol...just lol.

Drago
8th April 2009, 08:39 PM
LULZORS. Fantastic article - I love the fact that it took actual pills in his game to realise that perhaps his 12-year-old shouldn't be playing GTA. Also...
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45647000/jpg/_45647783_007147519-1.jpg
£25 is a bargain for four of them. Ungrateful bastard.

EDIT: I bring news from the world of entertainment. Billy Bob Thornton is weird (http://www.bigpondmovies.com/libraries/article_library/aap_newsml/5f6a0be4-f0b2-4214-ba77-f4bd4bcca88b/). There's nothing quite like seeing uncomfortable interviews with eccentric celebrities. Video contained, plus bonus footage that I hadn't been aware of; Joaquin Phoenix being completely rude and spaced out on Letterman.

Heald
9th April 2009, 10:40 AM
FOX News on '4chon' (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512957,00.html)

FOX once again shows how hilariously inept and out of touch it is with the modern world with a rather pathetic and error-filled report on everyone's favourite image board.

EDIT This just came up for me :

UK inmates to earn voting rights (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7992045.stm)

...this is just...incredible. I honestly cannot believe this is happening. All aboard the crazy train!

Ultimate Charizard
9th April 2009, 02:24 PM
On a more sombre note...
Woman Shoots her own Son (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPnMbLr5nc)

A woman, diagnosed with mental illness turns a gun on her Son and then herself. Its played down on the news story above but in the press it says she left a note saying 'She heard the voice of God telling her she was wicked. The Devil and God had corrupted her and that she had to send her son to heaven and herself to hell'

Another example of what happens when Religion is beat relentlessy into someones psyche with no chance of a concious choice or the excuses of a depressed woman?

What i find amazing however (and again this isnt mentioned on the clip, only in the press) is that she was actually Barred from that same range for trying to kill herself the same way 7 years ago, yet was able to get in with her son.

Roy Karrde
15th April 2009, 05:43 PM
Idiot Governor talks about Texas leaving the Union (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/ap/TX_Perry_Tea_Party.html)

Well Tea Parties are happening all over the US today as we reach tax day, with possibly millions protesting Obama's spending policies. But the rhetoric from Rick Perry is getting kind of scary. He is against Kay Baily in a Governor election next year and the "Anti Washington" tone is helping his poll numbers. But this type of rhetoric as well as Texas quickly becoming the "Go to" place for major companies is not good for any of us.

Heald
15th April 2009, 06:17 PM
Rebecca Knowlton, 45, of Smithville, said she took the day off of home-schooling her three children and brought them to the rally to teach them about civic duty. She felt camaraderie at the demonstration.

I don't think any more really needs to be said. Also Glenn Beck approved, and by rule of thumb, anything Glenn Beck approves of or agrees with is automatically wrong.

Roy Karrde
15th April 2009, 06:32 PM
I don't think any more really needs to be said. Also Glenn Beck approved, and by rule of thumb, anything Glenn Beck approves of or agrees with is automatically wrong.

Funny how you choose that, there is nothing wrong with homeschooling children. I have a aunt that does so.

Anyway the White House Tea Party was broken up after 3,000 people stood outside in the cold and rain, when some one threw a package of tea bags over the fence.

Heald
15th April 2009, 06:35 PM
Perhaps if you are qualified, yes, but I find it hilarious that a woman who homeschools her 3 kids thinks teaching them that if you disagree with the government over a particular policy, you ought to scream 'secede' is teaching them about civic duty. It wasn't intended as a jibe against home-schooling.

Roy Karrde
15th April 2009, 06:48 PM
Perhaps if you are qualified, yes, but I find it hilarious that a woman who homeschools her 3 kids thinks teaching them that if you disagree with the government over a particular policy, you ought to scream 'secede' is teaching them about civic duty. It wasn't intended as a jibe against home-schooling.

You might be a bit confused. The protest wasn't about seceding, it was the Governor that has brought that up. The tea party was in protest of the out of control spending Washington has done and their inability to listen to the people. The woman brought her children to a protest of Government programs which is what this country was founded on.

Ultimate Charizard
15th April 2009, 06:57 PM
The thing is though Roy is that no matter who is in power, theres always someone who isnt happy. Just because the ruling party isnt your party (and i mean generally here not specifically you) then you cant all of a sudden turn your back on your government because u dont happen to like the decisions its making.
Saying 'they arent listening to the people' isnt right. There are obviously people who support what theyre doing and how theyre spending. Because these people shout their opinion and it isnt immediately obeyed they claim they arent being listend to? There would be no point to government if they immediately bent over and followed every demand made of them by their people.
Its called Democracy. You keep bleating about how America is a free country and founded on morals and ideals but that seems to stop for Some Americans when its the other guy in charge.

Heald
15th April 2009, 07:06 PM
The woman brought her children to a protest of Government programs which is what this country was founded on.
So instead of allowing her children to make their own minds up, she's decided to drag them to a protest that they probably don't understand and might not agree with if they had the education under the pretence of 'it's your civil duty'.

That said, 99% of Americans probably don't get what the hell they're protesting about. They probably think, 'Some Conservative commentator told me to protest about taxes and stuff', just like those idiots who invaded London last week.

Roy Karrde
15th April 2009, 07:09 PM
The thing is though Roy is that no matter who is in power, theres always someone who isnt happy. Just because the ruling party isnt your party (and i mean generally here not specifically you) then you cant all of a sudden turn your back on your government because u dont happen to like the decisions its making.

That is right, but I do want to remind you that this is a Bi Partisan event, with hundreds of thousands from both sides of the ideological spectrum showing up.

Saying 'they arent listening to the people' isnt right. There are obviously people who support what theyre doing and how theyre spending.

That is true, but there are millions who do not and that is what today is for.

Because these people shout their opinion and it isnt immediately obeyed they claim they arent being listend to? There would be no point to government if they immediately bent over and followed every demand made of them by their people.

True, but then again there was not popular support for trillions of dollars of spending in either the Stimulus or Obama's new budget. The price is so high, and so utterly destructive, that more and more people are getting fed up with it, and yes their representatives should obey.

Its called Democracy. You keep bleating about how America is a free country and founded on morals and ideals but that seems to stop for Some Americans when its the other guy in charge.

Excuse me but I believe there were protests against Bush, maybe not on this massive of a scale but there were protests against him. I have no problem with that happening, but with the damage and spending that has gone on, on this scale, is very very dangerous.

Ultimate Charizard
15th April 2009, 07:28 PM
The thing is though, and im sorry if im wrong (im not that knowledgeable about American Politics) but Bush was 'your party'. I can understand why you would have no problems with people demonstrating against him. Because you could say 'Tough shit, he's in office, deal with it' then sit back and smile, despite the entire world knowin he was about as smart as a box of Dog biscuits.

Now again im not too upto date but what is all this money being spent on? If its hookers and parties on the White House lawn then fair enough. If its on things that will benefit the country (if not the world) but you dont agree with for whatever reason then again i think thats just something u should accept. If representatives should obey then Bush would have gone and sat in a play-pen and left the country to someone who knew what they were doing.

Lets not forget that there are other reasons some are protesting. Basically the fact that Obama isnt a White, God-fearin kinda person and his name is suspiciously close to both 'Osama' and 'A Bomber'. From what ive seen he's a very intelligent guy who isnt just gonna squander billions on nothing but hes being hounded by the ignorant and the bigoted whipped up into a fear frenzy by the last regime.

Roy Karrde
15th April 2009, 08:07 PM
The thing is though, and im sorry if im wrong (im not that knowledgeable about American Politics) but Bush was 'your party'. I can understand why you would have no problems with people demonstrating against him. Because you could say 'Tough shit, he's in office, deal with it' then sit back and smile, despite the entire world knowin he was about as smart as a box of Dog biscuits.

These protests are basically the cumulative anger of Bush's last year and Obama's first. Which is why you are getting so much Bypartisan support. Thing is that the Government is spending trillions and trillions of dollars, that the Anger toward it is finally boiling over.

Now again im not too upto date but what is all this money being spent on? If its hookers and parties on the White House lawn then fair enough. If its on things that will benefit the country (if not the world) but you dont agree with for whatever reason then again i think thats just something u should accept. If representatives should obey then Bush would have gone and sat in a play-pen and left the country to someone who knew what they were doing.

It being beneficial is pretty much relative, as for some things like Parks and Roads will probably be taken up by Illegal Immigrants and will not stimulate anything. There is also the very sizeable amount of money that will not be spent until 2011 which most likely the recession will be over with. And then there is the stupidity of spending it to produce Universal Health Care, which in the middle of a Economic Crisis should not be a priority.

Lets not forget that there are other reasons some are protesting. Basically the fact that Obama isnt a White, God-fearin kinda person and his name is suspiciously close to both 'Osama' and 'A Bomber'. From what ive seen he's a very intelligent guy who isnt just gonna squander billions on nothing but hes being hounded by the ignorant and the bigoted whipped up into a fear frenzy by the last regime.

Well it is pretty ignorant to dismiss them like that. But there have been some very very horrid things Obama has been doing these last few months. And I mean nauseating horrible things that I would rather not get in discussion with. I would rather not turn this discussion into Obama as so far he has been a nightmare of a President and I would rather not spend pages venting.

Ultimate Charizard
15th April 2009, 08:21 PM
Did you just say Universal Healthcare (which i assume is similar to the NHS), where anyone can be seen and treated as a human being, not only those that can pay the bills, is a stupid idea?

I got into this kind of argument with some Christian Extremists nut the other day quoting that Obama's ideas to take money in taxes from the rich to fund national programs for the less well off was ungodly. As soon as i pointed out that he was infering that the Rich have a greater priority in the afterlife than the faithfull he shut up. Is this really what im seeing? People so obsessed with the fact its 'the other sides ideas' that theyre doing their best to ridicule anything they come up with? Even if its blatanty a good idea?

Blademaster
15th April 2009, 08:21 PM
Of course if BUSH was the one doing these mysterious horrible atrocities on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Roy Karrde
15th April 2009, 08:25 PM
Did you just say Universal Healthcare (which i assume is similar to the NHS), where anyone can be seen and treated as a human being, not only those that can pay the bills, is a stupid idea?

Seeing how we are in a Economic Crisis, and do not have the trillions to pay for it. Yes right now it is a stupid idea.

I got into this kind of argument with some Christian Extremists nut the other day quoting that Obama's ideas to take money in taxes from the rich to fund national programs for the less well off was ungodly.

Sick me on them, that kind of stupidity really....well I believe castration would benifit this world greatly

As soon as i pointed out that he was infering that the Rich have a greater priority in the afterlife than the faithfull he shut up. Is this really what im seeing? People so obsessed with the fact its 'the other sides ideas' that theyre doing their best to ridicule anything they come up with? Even if its blatanty a good idea?

Those people tend to be at the fringe of society, and I mean absolute fringe.

Of course if BUSH was the one doing these mysterious horrible atrocities on the other hand...

If Bush had lifted the ban on news organizations covering coffins of servicemen coming off aircraft, or tried to pass the idea that Veterans injured in a war should pay for their own Health Care for the injuries. I promise you I would be just as pissed.

Ultimate Charizard
15th April 2009, 08:32 PM
or tried to pass the idea that Veterans injured in a war should pay for their own Health Care for the injuries. I promise you I would be just as pissed.

Thats called politics. If hes wanting to push for Universal Healthcare, and it gets instated they wont have to pay for it anyway...

Roy Karrde
15th April 2009, 08:35 PM
Thats called politics. If hes wanting to push for Universal Healthcare, and it gets instated they wont have to pay for it anyway...

I think you picked the wrong quote.

As for paying for it, Obama's budged already has a "Down payment" of 600 Billion dollars for Universal Healthcare. If that is just a down payment, you can imagine how many trillions the actual number goes to, to finance it.

Now I don't mind Health Care Reform, as long as it is a original idea and not a copy and paste of Britain or Canada. But we just can't afford it right now. I mean that is what these tea parties are about, the anger of so much out of control spending.

MToolen
16th April 2009, 06:52 AM
I realize this is a serious conversation with dire consequences, not only to us here in the states but also as a ripple effect to our friends beyond our borders, but this was just too good to pass up (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_re_au_an/as_odd_australia_snakes_on_a_plane).

Drago
16th April 2009, 07:44 AM
Thank you for that MToolen. Thank you very much. Good to see that Australia retains its reputation as the wild and crazy nation of snakes and stuff - I don't mind having that, actually.

Not the best piece of news, but it makes you ponder - the poorly trained state of 000 operators (http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2009/04/16/000_operators_insufficiently_trained_322560.html) (911 for some of y'all).

Heald
17th April 2009, 05:11 AM
Pirate Bay founders found guilty (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8003799.stm)

It's a scary day when big business is allowed to legislate from the courts. Maybe I'd have sympathy if they actually had a case, but frankly, it was an appalling sham trial.

Blademaster
17th April 2009, 10:51 PM
Serves the bastards right. Every game that gets pirated is a game that detracts from sales. That means game devs lose more money. That means I have to spend more money. Let the fuckers share a cell with Bubba for the next twelve months. I doubt it'll detract from anyone else pirating games, but at least that's one less group out for themselves ruining things for the rest of us.

Heald
18th April 2009, 06:09 AM
Pirate Bay is not doing anything illegal, it's the people who are illegally downloading games without license who are the real criminals. Saying you should prosecute people for providing a frankly wonderful infrastructure (torrents can be used for legal reason too and torrenting is one of the greatest forms of file-sharing) that a certain number of people use for illegal reasons is like saying you should prosecute the people who build roads because people use roads for illegal reasons (smuggling, car chases, speeding etc.), which is frankly appalling.

There are ways for developers and musicians to deliver products that are near impossible to pirate. Look at Steam: one of the greatest success stories. No DRM, no secret software that spies on your computer, no malware, no bullshit, and frankly, it works.

The best thing, and quite a likely outcome, that pirating will bring about is the destruction of the corrupt music producers and games publishers who exploit decent musicians and developers. If they collapse, then music and games will be cheaper, because its the producers and publishers who take the largest cut from the profits in the first place.

And even if you disagree with pirating, then fine, but this trial was an entire sham. It was brought about by a collection of businessmen not interested in protecting music, games or any other form of art or entertainment but making money who are entirely clueless about how the internet works, much like the court, so they just screamed 'INTERNET EVIL PIRATES BLAH BLAH BLAH' for a week. It stops being about piracy any more and sets a dangerous new precedent: Big businesses being allowed to legislate from the courts. Never mind the stranglehold big business has over government in the first place in the form of lobbying and paying off politicians and committees, being able to win court cases by presenting lies, mis-truths and misleading the court on all counts by going after people who possibly have not enough money to hire any sort of decent defence against their own legal teams and they are effectively allowed to set legal precedents.

A few years ago, Norway set a fantastic legal precedence: the film industry brought a case against some guy who had been ripping his DVDs onto his PC for storage reasons. The court ruled in favour of the guy, saying that because the DVD was his physical property, he could do whatever he wanted with it. If we see that kind of progression in other countries, we could finally get rid of stuff such as those horrible EULAs and SecuROM.

Blademaster
18th April 2009, 11:37 AM
Hey, in my defense, the place is called The PIRATE Bay, so can you blame me for assuming that the place was BUILT around the illegal practices that have made it (in)famous?

Heald
18th April 2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I bet that probably didn't help their case. I imagine most of the court thought they were Somalian.

Blademaster
24th April 2009, 09:55 AM
Astronomers discover what could be the oldest galaxy in the known Universe. (http://news.aol.com/article/space-blob/443146?icid=main|aimzones|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fn ews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fspace-blob%2F443146)

OK, that ain't EXACTLY what the article says, but it's still interesting to find something 40 billion times the size of the Sun and have no damn clue what it is.

Roy Karrde
24th April 2009, 05:49 PM
Some more scary news from today is whats happening in Mexico.

A deadly flu strain has broke out in Mexico (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53N22820090424?sp=true)

From what I heard it is most deadly for victims between 25-45, and that the CDC says it is already too late to stop it. Between this, and the drug violence, Mexico is crumbling before our eyes. If this gets any worse President Obama needs to seriously consider closing the border.

BTW there are close to 1,000 suspected cases in Mexico already, and some cases already appearing in California and Texas.

Razola
24th April 2009, 10:06 PM
We need to legalize drugs and viruses don't obey borders what the fuck.

EDIT: In other news, we tortured some brown people.

MToolen
25th April 2009, 12:09 AM
Hey, I know that fella. Glad to have you back around.

Sticking to the topic at hand though, that is pretty gruesome news. With any luck, it'll blow over, though. The human will is amazingly strong.

Master Rudy
25th April 2009, 04:38 AM
If this gets any worse President Obama needs to seriously consider closing the border.

Heh.....close the border. That was nice for a laugh. Not trying to be an ass Roy but do you honestly think the illegals will ignore a "closed" border? I say shoot 'em in the knees so they can't run and throw them back :P

Blademaster
25th April 2009, 05:18 AM
That news article honestly sounded like it was being overblown. I mean they have 60 people dead and declare a nationwide pandemic? What the fuck people?

I mean this may just be my limited scientific knowledge (AKA movie knowledge) at work, but I'd think a "pandemic" would be something more akin to 71,000 people in a 200 mile radius dropping dead within a 4 hour time-period... Could be wrong, but geez...

Master Rudy
25th April 2009, 05:36 AM
I mean this may just be my limited scientific knowledge (AKA movie knowledge) at work, but I'd think a "pandemic" would be something more akin to 71,000 people in a 200 mile radius dropping dead within a 4 hour time-period... Could be wrong, but geez...

History lesson! :P

During the Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918 some 50 million people were estimated to have died in about six months time. You figure if six months is about 183 days then on the average you had roughly 273,000 people dying per day from it.

The creepy fact is some numbers believe that as many as 100 million may have died and as many as 1 billion were infected. The world population hit 2 billion in 1927. In 1920 that number of infected would have been slightly over half the population of the planet! :eek:

Now THAT is what I call a pandemic!

Roy Karrde
25th April 2009, 10:36 AM
Heh.....close the border. That was nice for a laugh. Not trying to be an ass Roy but do you honestly think the illegals will ignore a "closed" border? I say shoot 'em in the knees so they can't run and throw them back :P

I would think Militarizing the border would be a obvious step if you closed it.

That news article honestly sounded like it was being overblown. I mean they have 60 people dead and declare a nationwide pandemic? What the fuck people?

Well it doesn't help that Mexico is really no better than a 3rd World Country. And really is not equipped to handle it.

Anyway in other news....

What....the fuck (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/5214985/Barack-Obama-administration-seeks-to-change-police-questioning-law.html)

Heald
25th April 2009, 10:47 AM
From the comments most of you guys make about Mexico anyway, it already sounded like you considered Mexicans themselves to be a disease that needed to be controlled, so when there is an actual disease present, I wouldn't imagine that would've made much difference.

Allowing defendants to face questioning without a lawyer present if they want to (as they also retain the right to remain silent) is hardly the biggest infringement of civil liberties in the world, in fact, it is rather minuscule compared to the leviathan of infringements that was the PATRIOT Act.

Roy Karrde
25th April 2009, 10:56 AM
From the comments most of you guys make about Mexico anyway, it already sounded like you considered Mexicans themselves to be a disease that needed to be controlled, so when there is an actual disease present, I wouldn't imagine that would've made much difference.

The country is a disease, seeing how much of the border is lawless, and most of the Government is corrupt. Many of the people there are just stuck in a horrible situation.

Allowing defendants to face questioning without a lawyer present if they want to (as they also retain the right to remain silent) is hardly the biggest infringement of civil liberties in the world, in fact, it is rather minuscule compared to the leviathan of infringements that was the PATRIOT Act.

A: Michigan vs Jackson protects the defendant from being questioned during the time it takes for the lawyer to get up there. Overturning it would allow for Police to continue to question and press even harder as they wait for the lawyer to arrive. Not to mention as the article already says, it protects the mentally disabled, poor or juveniles who could be easily swayed by the police.

B: That is a pretty piss poor defense man. "Oh its not as bad as this so its not that bad". I mean if it was the Bush Administration I could see you arguing this. But this is the Obama Admin, the people who are "Supposed to respect Civil Rights" and all that BS.

Heald
25th April 2009, 11:02 AM
Oh, so it's okay for one President to roll right over civil liberties as long as he slaps the word Patriot on it, but when another guy does something incredibly vanilla in comparison, suddenly he's a bad man? I agree with the problems faced by the vulnerable groups, and hopefully there would be provisions for those who shouldn't be questioned without a lawyer present, such as children. Also, a man does have the right to remain silent, so if he doesn't want to talk, the cops can't force him. If the cops do try to force him, they ought to be suspended/fined/fired for mistreatment.

Also, I'd thought you'd be happy there would be a concrete law about this, considering how much you hate the Supreme Court legislating from the bench.

Roy Karrde
25th April 2009, 11:11 AM
Oh, so it's okay for one President to roll right over civil liberties as long as he slaps the word Patriot on it, but when another guy does something incredibly vanilla in comparison, suddenly he's a bad man?

No but then again I am not defending Bush's use of the PATRIOT act, you are the one that brought it up. Not to mention the Patriot act was created by Congress, during a time of extreme fear that caused them to pass it with fear. There is absolutely no excuse with this.

I agree with the problems faced by the vulnerable groups, and hopefully there would be provisions for those who shouldn't be questioned without a lawyer present, such as children.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Also, a man does have the right to remain silent, so if he doesn't want to talk, the cops can't force him. If the cops do try to force him, they ought to be suspended/fined/fired for mistreatment.

This... has to be one of the most idiotic statements you have ever made. Either that or you are unaware of police interrogations in the United States. Yes a man has the right to remain silent, during that time the Police can hold him in a small room for 20 or more hours, they can intimidate him or her, they can tell mothers that they will lock them up so that they will never see their children again. They can tell men that they are going to put them in jail and inform the jail that he is a child rapist so that he gets killed in prison. They can use any number of tactics to get the man to talk.

Which is why this law is so very important. That the lawyer protects the person from this kind of questioning. The police are tasked with getting a confession out to use at trial. They will do everything they can to bring about that confession.

Also, I'd thought you'd be happy there would be a concrete law about this, considering how much you hate the Supreme Court legislating from the bench.

This isn't to bring about a concrete law though, this is to over turn the law to allow abuse to happen. Not to mention this ruling pretty much is to provide teeth to a law already in effect called the Miranda Rights.

Heald
25th April 2009, 11:19 AM
This... has to be one of the most idiotic statements you have ever made. Either that or you are unaware of police interrogations in the United States. Yes a man has the right to remain silent, during that time the Police can hold him in a small room for 20 or more hours, they can intimidate him or her, they can tell mothers that they will lock them up so that they will never see their children again. They can tell men that they are going to put them in jail and inform the jail that he is a child rapist so that he gets killed in prison. They can use any number of tactics to get the man to talk.
Frankly that's abuse, and it shouldn't be tolerated. Those are the kind of tactics you'd hear secret police using in dictatorships and not in what purports itself to be 'The Free World'. So yes, I am unaware of how police interrogations work in the United States worked, but I didn't realise that what you call 'police', we in the UK call fascism. Sounds like the problem isn't in the Bill itself but your police system.

Roy Karrde
25th April 2009, 11:25 AM
Frankly that's abuse, and it shouldn't be tolerated. Those are the kind of tactics you'd hear secret police using in dictatorships and not in what purports itself to be 'The Free World'. So yes, I am unaware of how police interrogations work in the United States worked, but I didn't realise that what you call 'police', we in the UK call fascism. Sounds like the problem isn't in the Bill itself but your police system.

It is a problem in the police system, mainly because the Police pretty much assume you are guilty and their job is to get a confession using any means under the law. While calling it "Fascism" is a over reaction, it is how interrogations are handled. Now honestly I am not saying that every cop interrogator acts this way, but these guys are trained to twist your mind to the point that you will confess to anything. Which is what makes this court case so very important, and what Obama is doing so very dangerous.

Razola
28th April 2009, 01:49 PM
I would think Militarizing the border would be a obvious step if you closed itOr we reform immigration and legalize the best-selling drugs. Putting the lives of more military at risk is just absurd.

Roy Karrde
28th April 2009, 04:57 PM
Or we reform immigration and legalize the best-selling drugs. Putting the lives of more military at risk is just absurd.

Neither of those ideas would stop a massive out break of Mexico from being spread into the United States by thousands if not millions of fleeing Mexicans trying to out run the disease.

The idea of closing and militarizing the border isn't to stop Illegals, but to keep the virus from breaking out on a massive scale over here by so many people fleeing their country.

ChobiChibi
29th April 2009, 08:07 AM
Neither of those ideas would stop a massive out break of Mexico from being spread into the United States by thousands if not millions of fleeing Mexicans trying to out run the disease.

The idea of closing and militarizing the border isn't to stop Illegals, but to keep the virus from breaking out on a massive scale over here by so many people fleeing their country.

Those Mexicans are pretty dumb if they think they can outrun an airborn virus :P

And it's far too late for closing the borders since a kid has already died in Texas. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8024611.stm) Run, Ryan, run!

It's also not just gonna be spread by Mexicans trying to escape their country... Come on, the UK already has it (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8024690.stm) from people just flying back from their holidays, you can't just go blaming a pandemic on the Mexicans because you don't like them :P

Blademaster
29th April 2009, 03:56 PM
But you can blame it on them if their country is where the first cases arose, thus making it the prime suspect if you're looking for an origin point.

Razola
29th April 2009, 04:25 PM

The idea of closing and militarizing the border isn't to stop Illegals, but to keep the virus from breaking out on a massive scale over here by so many people fleeing their country.It'd be more rational if nativists hadn't been trying to close the border for decades.

This flu is short-term, the drug war and immigration is long term. We need to start a flu vaccination now as opposed to closing our doors and hoping we have a good seal on our windows.

Roy Karrde
29th April 2009, 05:09 PM
It'd be more rational if nativists hadn't been trying to close the border for decades.

This flu is short-term, the drug war and immigration is long term. We need to start a flu vaccination now as opposed to closing our doors and hoping we have a good seal on our windows.

Well granted closing the border to drastically eliminate Illegal Immigration and a influx of drugs and crime would be a great thing. But seeing how Mexico is going to quickly turn into a breeding ground for this virus, a short term closure may be needed. As for the flu vaccinations, I believe the news reported that the current vaccinations were not created to repeal the Swine Flu.

Heald
30th April 2009, 07:54 PM
Speaking of diseases...

Saudi marriage involving 50 year old man and 8 year old girl annulled (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8026545.stm)

The sickening thing is it wasn't annulled because it was morally wrong, but because it was attracting negative publicity. The judge even refused twice to annul it so it was annulled in an out-of-court settlement.

The Middle-East can say what it wants about Western culture, but frankly, the Middle-East itself is a disease that needs to be eradicated.

Roy Karrde
30th April 2009, 10:17 PM
Speaking of diseases...

Saudi marriage involving 50 year old man and 8 year old girl annulled (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8026545.stm)

The sickening thing is it wasn't annulled because it was morally wrong, but because it was attracting negative publicity. The judge even refused twice to annul it so it was annulled in an out-of-court settlement.

The Middle-East can say what it wants about Western culture, but frankly, the Middle-East itself is a disease that needs to be eradicated.

The UN needs to approach the Middle-East like a CPS agent would treat a abusive father. "Straighten up, or we will take your kids and women away from you". Let the pedos and psychos have their hell hole, and lets get the women, children, and responsible men out of there.

Fox News says the Internets are too full! (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518405,00.html)

Glad I only bought a one year deal on my website.

One of the most interesting parts: It will initially lead to computers being disrupted and going offline for several minutes at a time. Beginning in 2012, however, PCs and laptops are likely to operate at a much reduced speed, rendering the Internet an "unreliable toy."

Good bye PC Gaming!

Heald
1st May 2009, 09:23 AM
I saw this in the Times as well (both are owned by Rupert Murdoch).

Frankly, anyone with any sense will realise that it's horse-shit. It's just some nonsense made up by the mouthpiece of those who want to kill off net neutrality and makes millions off unwitting individuals.

Trust the bureaucrats to take one of the only resources where scarcity is hardly an issue and then try to enforce scarcity in an attempt to make money.

Jeff
1st May 2009, 10:24 AM
Beginning in 2012, however, PCs and laptops are likely to operate at a much reduced speed,

Did I really just read that? Honestly, the computer illiteracy of some people is absolutely astounding.

In other news, scientists created puppies that glow in the dark (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518309,00.html).

midnightangel
2nd May 2009, 12:19 PM
Only in Florida it seems (http://www.wftv.com/news/19348698/detail.html) :P

Didn't ever occur to those folks that we are invading on their turf?!?
And that means every critter that shows up that "doesn't belong" or is "not natural" to the precious new subdivision, golf course, etc.
Idiot people :rolleyes:

Heald
14th May 2009, 07:32 PM
Germany moves to ban anything remotely to do with shooting, such as paintballing (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8041320.stm)

I think the Germans just have a problem with moderation; they can never take the middle ground, it has to be one or the other, such as 'ban ALL the gun-related activities', 'take over ALL of Europe', 'kill ALL of the Jews'. It's sad, really.

Crazy Elf Boy
23rd May 2009, 11:37 PM
Australia to get rid of the 5 cent piece? (http://www.theage.com.au/national/5cent-piece-not-worth-a-cracker-20090522-bic4.html?page=-1)

I really hope this doesn't happen otherwise my 5 cent collection won't be worth anything at all, fellow Australian's discuss.

Jeff
24th May 2009, 12:03 AM
That sounds alot like the rumors that have been popping up from time to time here about our government getting rid of the penny (1-cent coin). It hasn't happened and I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Of course that's because, the last time the U.S. retired a coin denomination was when the 1/2-cent coin was retired in the mid 19th century. On the other hand, with Australia just recently dropping two coins, I wouldn't put it past them to keep going and drop the 5-cent too.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th May 2009, 01:07 AM
Pardon, I don't live in Australia as much as I wanted, but here in Finland 5 cents is the smallest coin. I have found small coins handy simply because you don't need to break them. And you can be helpful and help friends to break their bigger coins.

But don't worry about your collection, Crazy Elf Boy. When there are no 5 cents in markets, their value will actually rise and you can sell your collection to some rich collectors for a high price.

Mew Master
24th May 2009, 01:26 AM
Human's earliest Ancestor (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Missing-Link-Scientists-In-New-York-Unveil-Fossil-Of-Lemur-Monkey-Hailed-As-Mans-Earliest-Ancestor/Article/200905315284582?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15284582_Missing_Link%3A_Scientists_In _New_York_Unveil_Fossil_Of_Lemur_Monkey_Hailed_As_ Mans_Earliest_Ancestor)

This is pretty cool, however I think we've known for a while that we're related to the animal kingdom before this find. However, it is still pretty fecking awesome.

We have the Fossils. We win.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th May 2009, 01:44 AM
They found the missing link? Well we have had T_M_L here at TPM for some time. This is not enough to make me go to Norway to see it.

Blademaster
24th May 2009, 03:17 PM
*scratches head* Uhhhhh... I don't get it. I figured that the missing link between humans and animals would look a bit more... human.

Roy Karrde
24th May 2009, 03:45 PM
*scratches head* Uhhhhh... I don't get it. I figured that the missing link between humans and animals would look a bit more... human.

Because it isn't the missing link between humans and animals. It's a missing link, but not "The Missing Link"

Stupid media is kind of blowing everything out of proportion.

Mew Master
24th May 2009, 06:30 PM
Besides "missing link" isn't really an appropriate term anyway. More accurately is "Transitional Form" and we have hundreds of those with more being found every day.

Blademaster
24th May 2009, 06:49 PM
So then you won't begrudge me if I continue to call Lucy the "missing link," wouldja Den?

Mew Master
24th May 2009, 08:09 PM
I'd correct you...but I won't hit you with a flounder.

Roy Karrde
25th May 2009, 01:00 AM
CNN: North Korea has just successfully test fired a nuke, and short range missile. More will be coming out soon.

Blademaster
25th May 2009, 02:48 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, Roy... You told me they fired another missile. You never mentioned NUKES were involved.

Fuck, World War III is starting. Time to say goodbye, everyone. Get under your desk and get the desk in a doorway.

Heald
25th May 2009, 07:27 AM
Yeah, North Korea just leapfrogged Iran in the list of 'Nations we need to destroy before they destroy us'. That's some scary shit. Either we let North Korea implode under the weight of it's own horrible agenda and hopefully some kind of democratic order will be resolved, or they'll join the nuclear club with a proper payload of nuclear missiles and be a very real threat to us. We can't allow the second one to happen, and if we have any chance of destroying them before they achieve this goal, we need to do it now.

Heald
25th May 2009, 07:52 PM
I'd say sorry for double-posting, but this is my forum, so you call all eat cake, plus it is a new story:

UK Graduates told to leave UK to find work (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8065615.stm)

So, let's get this straight:

1) As part of the 1997 pledge to have at least '50% of school-leavers to attend university', the Labour government allowed tonnes of colleges and sham-establishments to masquerade as universities, devaluing a degree to the equivalent of a wet sock.

2) Uncontrolled immigration means we have far more people entering the country than we do leaving, leading to millions of unemployed British people because firms can very easily hire cheaper foreign labour, whether legally or illegally, because the government simply has no idea how many immigrants are in the country.

3) Thanks to the government's horrible handling of the economic crisis, unemployment has skyrocketed and firms are recording record losses, discouraging them from taking on anyone.

So, all 3 of these cock-ups that have led to horrible levels of graduate employment are the fault of the Labour government. Their advice? Piss off and find a job in a country where they haven't completely driven the country into the gutter. Bang up job all round. I'm due to graduate next year, by which time this government would have still had one more year to completely ruin this country. I wonder what their advice will be then? Move to the Moon? Colonise Mars?

Drago
25th May 2009, 10:19 PM
It's old news, but nobody's said it yet, so... voice of Mickey Mouse for 32 years, dies (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/816259/voice-of-mickey-mouse-for-32-years-dies).
Yup. After manning Mickey since the late 70s, Wayne Allwine has passed away. We'll see who'll take on the reigns, after all Mickey isn't the hardest voice to master (Clarence Nash was a harder act to follow), but still, that's one generation of Mickey that's officially ended.

Roy Karrde
26th May 2009, 11:42 PM
Holy F***ing C*** full of F***ing S*** and several other cuss words!

North Korea says it is no longer considers itself bound by the armistice that ended the Korean War, (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98EBO2G1&show_article=1)

Looks like we got a good ole Cuban Missile Crisis stand off if one of the ships carrying North Korean nuke supplies is stopped.

midnightangel
27th May 2009, 11:02 AM
Only in Florida...part 2 (http://www.wftv.com/news/19577828/detail.html)

I laughed at the article.
And the comment below it was a hoot :P

But seriously who would want to deal with that when they have to pee? Good thing the employee was able to move it with no harm to the critter ;)

Blademaster
27th May 2009, 11:24 AM
Holy F***ing C*** full of F***ing S*** and several other cuss words!

North Korea says it is no longer considers itself bound by the armistice that ended the Korean War, (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98EBO2G1&show_article=1)

Yep, it's official. We're fucked.

Heald
27th May 2009, 11:35 AM
I don't think we need to worry just yet. They can't nuke anything more than a few miles from their coastline at the moment, so at the moment, only China and South Korea are really fucked. Or, if they can actually fire something slightly further afield, Japan, and maybe Hawaii. Whatever. I say we take them out now. We invaded Iraq purely on the basis that they had weapons of mass destruction and that they had a bad humanitarian record, threatened to invade neighbouring regions and were undemocratic and anti-West. North Korea fits this suit far better than Iraq ever did, so what's stopping us?

Blademaster
27th May 2009, 03:13 PM
A President with a cranial capacity greater than that of the monkey-men from the beginning of 2001: A Space Oddysey?

Roy Karrde
27th May 2009, 03:17 PM
A President with a cranial capacity greater than that of the monkey-men from the beginning of 2001: A Space Oddysey?

Which is what we need in this situation! We don't need a President who sits back and reads the dictionary every night. We need a psycho mother f'er who gets drunk and starts mashing buttons!

I miss having a President that scared the hell out of all the other countries ;.;

BTW we traded a Monkey Man President, for a Sock Puppet President, that isn't really a trade up...just moving over a bit to the left.

Heald
27th May 2009, 04:32 PM
All we need is a Chinese person to hijack a plane and crash it into a US monument and you'll have this whole thing all over again.

Roy Karrde
27th May 2009, 05:07 PM
All we need is a Chinese person to hijack a plane and crash it into a US monument and you'll have this whole thing all over again.

Meh the way they drive, they would miss it several times and then give up and fly back to the airport.

* Looks around *

I kid I kid!

Blademaster
27th May 2009, 07:04 PM
I miss having a President that scared the hell out of all the other countries ;.;

When did Ronald Reagan enter this discussion?

Roy Karrde
27th May 2009, 07:06 PM
When did Ronald Reagan enter this discussion?

Pfft Reagan was nothing compared to Bush circa 2002/2003. Now now don't consider the wussy Bush from 2005 onward. But the one back in 2002 when he had a shit load of angry Americans on his side, and the world knew that he was planning to smush another country after Afghanistan, we just didn't know which country it would be.

Blademaster
27th May 2009, 07:21 PM
...You were referring to Bush? As a fearsome ruler? As a MORE fearsome President than Reagan or Truman or...

You know what? Screw it. I'll just keep it simple:

>Bush
>scared the hell out of all the other countries

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/haha_oh_wow.jpg

Roy Karrde
27th May 2009, 07:24 PM
...You were referring to Bush? As a fearsome ruler? As a MORE fearsome President than Reagan or Truman or...

You know what? Screw it. I'll just keep it simple:

Well remember this was back in 2002/2003 before he became a joke. Back then yeah he was feared as to which Muslim Country he planned to squish. Infact when we invaded Iraq to go after WMDs, Libya saw what was happening and instantly said they were giving up their WMD program. C'mon you gotta admit there was some fear there.

C'mon you gotta remember how after the "Axis of Evil" speech, you had Europeans fearing that Bush was going to bomb Iraq, Iran, and North Korea.

See everyone is remembering the jokes from 2004 onward, and forgetting how he was viewed as a nutty man back in 2003/2002 that was going to launch nukes at every Arab country.

Heald
27th May 2009, 07:28 PM
Blade, this isn't the random board. Stop infecting my forum and treating it as such.

And we could argue all day about which Republican leader was the craziest nut-job, but I gotta side with Roy here, when you've got an insane President with millions of crazy nuts bawwwing about 9/11 behind him who can simply point his finger at a big map, say 'bang', and send trillions of dollars worth of military at some poor chump's country, I'd be soiling my shreddies if I was in a country that even shared a common consonant with Al-Qaeda.

In this case the consonant was Q.

Heald
28th May 2009, 11:04 AM
French call D-Day Commemorations a 'Franco-American' event (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8072340.stm)

Not that I care about the Queen not going, but French officials have called these commemorations are Franco-American event. So, not only do we have uneducated Americans thinking that they won World War II all by themselves, now the French are so proud that they think the British, their oldest rivals, had nothing to do with their liberation. Fine. Next time someone takes over your country, don't come crying to us.

Lest we forget when you begged us to let you into the Commonwealth and we told you 'no' because we didn't want to be associated with a bunch of garlic-munching, sweaty surrender-monkeys. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6261885.stm)

Jeff
28th May 2009, 11:39 AM
Wow, I'm an American and even I think that's rude of the French. Wait, French, rude. Yeah.

Blademaster
28th May 2009, 03:21 PM
Oh, those lovable Frenchies. It's good to know that no matter how much the U.S. screws up, there's always at least one country in the UN that's a bigger dick than we are.

Roy Karrde
29th May 2009, 08:21 PM
British Media realizes how assholish Robert Gibbs is (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/nile_gardiner/blog/2009/05/29/robert_gibbs_should_apologise_to_the_british_press _for_his_sneering_rant)

In a Administration full of assholes, I gotta say Gibbs takes the cake, being a mixture of assholish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KugndY07Qoo) and stupidity, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4qEz1vea0) to bring about the worst Press Secretary EVARRR!

I do wonder, between this from the Obama White House, and France's Event, is it just "Pick on Britain" week? And if so why didn't anyone tell me?

Best Quote from the Article: For all its talk of "raising America's standing" in the world after the Bush years, the Obama administration is doing a spectacularly bad job of reaching out to its allies. Unfortunately this is the new face of America's public diplomacy, which will only serve to alienate public opinion across the Atlantic.

Crystalmaster Mike
30th May 2009, 03:35 AM
Frank De Winne back in space (http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/news/090527_New%2BBelgian%2Bin%2Bspace)

Just to give people some perspective. Our second astro/cosmonaut EVER people.

Heald
30th May 2009, 06:40 AM
Gibbs can insult the British media all he wants because frankly, it sucks. But the Telegraph is actually the one good newspaper we have left. Idiot.

Blademaster
31st May 2009, 10:55 PM
Final survivor of the sinking of the Titanic dies at age 97. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31030935?GT1=43001)

Such a shame... Less than 3 more years and she would've made it to the 100th anniversary of the disaster. I'm sure there's gonna be some huge memorial party or something, in England at least, maybe.

Ultimate Charizard
1st June 2009, 10:57 AM
Im still surprised noones mentioned (or maybe i just wasnt looking close enough) the whole Expenses row.

Basically it turns out the Majority of British MP's have been robbing the country blind for years by claiming on their expenses allowance and now its all gone public despite their best efforts to stop it.

Most of it comes down to claiming for second homes etc but then there are some that are claiming for their second home mortgage, which they paid off 2 years ago, right up to 1 guy claiming back for the cost of building an island in the middle of his large pond so his ducks have somewhere to avoid Foxes....

Oh and Susan Boyle came second lol.

Heald
3rd June 2009, 05:35 AM
The expenses row has been completely blown out of proportion, however, I am pleased that several of the worst members of the Government have been forced to resign over it.

Hazel Blears is the latest casualty (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8080777.stm)

In all seriousness, this really is a small issue compared to the scale of the recession and the other issues that this Labour government have brought about that have ruined this country. The fact is, everyone who is resigning is taking this opportunity now to, because they'd rather resign over something as stupid as expenses, rather than being incompetent, useless, corrupt, insane, nanny-state loving idiots.

Jeff
6th June 2009, 10:50 PM
Chances are, he's not paying off those tickets anytime soon... (http://wcbstv.com/local/ny.vehicle.ticketed.2.1032503.html)

Roy Karrde
10th June 2009, 04:28 PM
World biggest idiot now Mirandizing terrorists (http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/06/miranda_rights_for_terrorists.asp)

This story just broke on Drudge, if this is true, if we are telling some of the most high ranking terrorists that we capture, terrorists who have info that could save thousands of lives, terrorists who hold information that is incredibly time sensitive. Then we deserve to be attacked. It was stupid when we treated terrorism like a Law Enforcement Problem during Clinton's Administration, it is absolutely stupid to do it in a post 9/11 world.

“When they mirandize a suspect, the first thing they do is warn them that they have the 'right to remain silent,’” says Representative Pete Hoekstra, the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee. “It would seem the last thing we want is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed or any other al-Qaeda terrorist to remain silent. Our focus should be on preventing the next attack, not giving radical jihadists a new tactic to resist interrogation--lawyering up.”

“The problem is you take that guy at three in the morning off of a compound right outside of Kabul where he’s building bomb materials to kill US soldiers, and read him his rights by four, and the Red Cross is saying take the lawyer – you have now created quite a confusion amongst the FBI, the CIA and the United States military. And confusion is the last thing you want in a combat zone.”

We deserve another attack.

Blademaster
17th June 2009, 02:30 PM
Obama saves the nation from a crippling and persistent menace. (http://news.aol.com/article/obama-swats-fly/529745?icid=main|aimzones|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fn ews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fobama-swats-fly%2F529745)

Seriously.

THIS is news.

Jeff
17th June 2009, 02:51 PM
BREAKING NEWS:
Obama uses bathroom, more at eleven.

Seriously, there are better things to report on out there.

Houndoom_Lover
17th June 2009, 03:48 PM
"Heeeelp meeeee"

That's the stupidist thing I've ever read- And I surf through Fanfiction.net.

Edit: Wait! This makes Obama a murderer!!!! : o

Roy Karrde
17th June 2009, 03:59 PM
Edit: Wait! This makes Obama a murderer!!!! : o

Onion: Media Having Trouble Finding Right Angle On Obama's Double-Homicide (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/media_having_trouble_finding_right)

Heee, sorry I couldn't resist!

Houndoom_Lover
17th June 2009, 05:00 PM
XD That's just great!

Gosh, I love the internet...We've all seen the John McCain and Obama as Pokrmon, have we?

Roy Karrde
17th June 2009, 05:51 PM
Apparently this story gets worse, I shit you not, PETA is angry at Obama.

PETA is finally going after President Barack Obama for delivering capital punishment to a housefly on the White House grounds yesterday — a death that was caught on tape.

When asked for comment, here’s the statement PETA released:

“He isn’t the Buddha, he’s a human being and human beings have a long way to go before they think before they act.”

I would say this were a joke....but its PETA (http://www.tmz.com/2009/06/17/peta-swats-at-obama-for-killing-that-fly/)

On slightly different news, Tom Brokaw who interviewed Obama for NBC News just weeks ago, is now joining the Obama Administration. Between this and ABC News doing a infomercial for Obama, it's good to see that the media is finally coming out for their brown nosing.

Houndoom_Lover
17th June 2009, 06:31 PM
Oh, PETA.

Some kid as a Senior prank, let chickens out in the courtyard. Some girl-douchebag with an I.Q of pie. A stupid pie. Called PETA about the freakin' chicken. PETA is just re-dunk-u-lous....

On that note.

Obama.

Harbinger of death?

Drago
17th June 2009, 08:54 PM
Uh-uh, Mother-m-mother, uh, what is the phrase? She isn't quite herself today. (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/826876/fraudster-played-dead-mother-for-six-years)

The concept of this dude doing it for the money isn't that interesting; but the fact that he states that he inhaled her last breath and he is his mother? Now that makes it worthwhile.

Heald
19th June 2009, 09:37 AM
RIAA sue poor single-mother of four for $1.9million (http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_8108000/8108589.stm)

Classy guys, very classy.

Drago
25th June 2009, 05:49 PM
IS MICHAEL JACKSON DEAD? (http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2009/06/26/Michael_Jackson_has_died_-_reports_346062.html) I don't know yet. Conflicting reports. This is serious stuff here. ...More reports confirming it as true... I mean holy crap man... This is seriously not cool. ...Not cool at all... THIS FRIGGIN' SUCKS ASS THROUGH A STRAW. GOOD LORD WHY?

Fara Fawcett (http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2009/06/26/Farrah_Fawcett_dies_aged_62_345987.html) has been confirmed as dead.

Blademaster
25th June 2009, 06:01 PM
Michael Jackson confirmed dead. (http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/25/michael.jackson/index.html)

Good night, sweet prince. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Unless you come back as a zombie and do Thriller. That'd be fucking sweet.

Heald
25th June 2009, 06:02 PM
I'm still WTFing. This is the most bizarre thing ever.

Roy Karrde
25th June 2009, 06:03 PM
Its a sad day for pop, I wont call the guy a pedo because he was never convicted. But what a amazing voice, amazing talent, a messed up person.

Drago
25th June 2009, 06:09 PM
God fucking dammit. What a horrible thing to happen. Excuse me if I'm a tad over-dramatised here, but I'm a big MJ fan. He was one of the most talented men ever. I mean, everything he did, he just did it in style.

...What a miserable way to start my day. Dammitall.

Jeff
25th June 2009, 06:18 PM
How tragic. I know both of them were not in very good health lately. Farrah had cancer, and about 2-3 years ago the local news was reporting that Michael was looking at houses in Maryland so he could be near the world-class hospitals in Baltimore, just in case.

This, combined with Ed McMahon's death earlier this week has made for a pretty sad week in Hollywood. RIP to all of them.

Roy Karrde
25th June 2009, 07:09 PM
I can't believe I am seeing this but Entertainment Tonight, what I thought was a classy news organization, is showing a picture on their website dubbed "The last photo of Michael Jackson" its a photo of his dead body being wheeled into the hospital from the ambulance a few hours ago, a tube going down his throat used for CPR.

Just...disgusting.

classy_cat18
25th June 2009, 07:23 PM
*sighs* The things paparazzi do for money and publicity. We should be remembering him for his good years, not his bad.

...Fara's dead too? Aw man!

Jeff
25th June 2009, 07:34 PM
Now this is getting a little out of control... (http://blogs.tampabay.com/80s/2009/06/more-celeb-death-rumors-now-its-jeff-goldblum-and-harrison-ford.html)

Edit: As I expected, the reports of Jeff Goldblum's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Original report (http://jeff.goldblum.mediafetcher.com/news/top_stories/actor_new_zealand.php), note the fake links on the page. Apparently the Harrison Ford rumors started the same way.

It's pretty sick that people will do stuff like this just to get attention.

Houndoom_Lover
25th June 2009, 08:48 PM
MJ died and Fara Foset, and Jeff Goldblum. Holy crap.

And Extreme Makeover is HERE! Right in front of my house!!!! Sqwa! News!

Jeff
25th June 2009, 09:01 PM
MJ died and Fara Foset, and Jeff Goldblum. Holy crap.

The Jeff Goldblum thing was fake.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
26th June 2009, 07:58 AM
Really a shame about Michael Jackson but from several sources you can hear it didn't come as a surprise. I remember his glory days, he was one awesome musician though starting with the mid 90s it really went downhill with him. I guess you'll hear more of his music on radio again now.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
26th June 2009, 08:25 AM
Atleast for a while.

Yeah, michael, good times.

Heald
26th June 2009, 10:26 AM
This thread is closed until further notice. If you want to discuss anything, please make a new thread for it. First person to make a Michael Jackson thread gets a cookie.

Drago
27th April 2010, 06:11 AM
It's further notice, baby! The Daily News is back and open for business!! All of those strange little news tidbits you read but were to embarrassed to make a new thread for once again have a home!! If something is BIG news (like MJ's death last year, part of the reason this thread was put on hold), feel free to make a new thread for it.

Be jovial! Be newsworthy! All are welcome in the Daily News... All except gay dogs... (http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-freaky/gay-dogs-not-welcome-diner-in-south-australia-told/story-e6frflri-1225857878565)

Drago
30th April 2010, 07:46 PM
Now for some happy news... An ecstatic 72 year old woman has finally found true love, and through use of a surrogate mother, is going to have a baby... with her grandson (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100430/tod-granny-72-having-a-baby-with-her-gra-870a197.html).

...Yay!

Jeff
30th April 2010, 10:36 PM
So, for anyone who hasn't heard, the state of Arizona has recently passed a questionable bill. No, I'm not talking about that bill, I mean the one banning the creation of human/animal hybrids (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/04/30/20100430arizonabill-targets-human-animal-hybrids-politico.html#reply19965107) of course.

Ultimate Charizard
1st May 2010, 09:19 AM
War on Furries? lol

Roy Karrde
1st May 2010, 10:48 PM
Car bomb was found in Times Square right near Toys R Us, WNBC, is reporting that the police have found three propane & two gasoline tanks, burnt wiring, and "something resembling an IED" inside the vehicle.

MSNBC is now covering it, it's the first of the three news stations that has been covering it.

MSNBC Terrorism Analysis says it is like previous al Qaeda car bombs.

Blademaster
2nd May 2010, 11:11 AM
Allah, seriously. You're starting to be a real dick, man. Don't be a real dick. It's not coo'.

Drago
6th May 2010, 05:44 AM
As if Justin Bieber isn't stupid enough (http://health.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978218368&grpId=3659174697259616), it seems as though his fans just may be even stupider (http://bigpondmovies.com/libraries/article_library/news/bieber_fans_threaten_kim_kardashian/)...