PDA

View Full Version : Your mobile telephone

Andrew
31st March 2009, 06:45 PM
So.... mobiles... we all have them.

I've had 3 in my life. A shitty cheap red one. A Nokia 7600 I loved to the bitter end. Now a schmick iPhone which is still good.

Do you think you could live without yours?

Networking tool, radiation brick, alarm clock, watch, music player, camera...

Blademaster
31st March 2009, 08:13 PM
I use my phone as a phone. 'Cuz every other feature either confuses me or makes me wanna throw the phone out a moving vehicle because the buttons are too close together. :sweat:

Drusilla
31st March 2009, 10:15 PM
I still have the phone I got three years ago for my birthday, mostly because it still works, but also because I'm cheap. It's an old "candybar" Nokia... Not fancy, but it calls and texts. That's all I really need.

MToolen
31st March 2009, 10:40 PM
I feel so sorry for my current phone. I haven't even had it a year and it's already in a suicidal depression. I stopped trying to drop it but it's almost like it wants to fall in the vain hope that it could end its own miserable existence. Half the paint has chipped off and the top third of the screen has either lost its pixels or melted in. It's still usable, though.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
31st March 2009, 11:04 PM
My mobile phone history dates only back to 2003, when I got my first one as a present. It was old even back then, and I don't even know what it was called, Nokia, however. I used to be pretty much against mobile phones. I didn't like thew idea to be approachable everywhere and I also thought some of my friends' lives were circling around their mobile phones too much. And when I saw girls, especially the red-haired one, fingering their mobile phones I thought they should have fingered something else!!

But then I wanted the phone, only because I thought I had a girlfriend. Yes, I had one date with the red-haired girl and summer holiday was approaching. A mobile phone looked like a way to keep in touch with her. BUT she answered only once and finally sent a text message where she told me we shouldn't keep in touch. I was flooded with thoughts but the main one was that I had got the phone and bought my prepaid extension in vain. Since that night, I didn't use my mobile phone for 6 months or so. It ended when my current family found out I had the phone and I began to use it, but wasn't actually hooked and regarded it as a quite trivial thing. Let me tell you, if I had been hooked, I would have used the thing much much more.

That situation kinda continued and I got some new friends. Then, I finally bought a new mobile phone in June 2008. It was my Nokia 3500 Classic (http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/nokia-3500-classic-fcc-approval-1.jpg) (it is like in this picture, but the behind is blue) and I'm proud of it. I use it mainly as a phone, an MP3 player and a camera. I'd like to have better sound and ability to use different earphones but other than that, I like my Nokia 3500 and use it!

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
1st April 2009, 12:46 AM
I've had two cell phones so far and all you can use them for is calling someone. No camera, no e-mail, no games (well, real games), no music player. I don't even use it often, it's nice to have now and then. My first cell I had for a good six years till I got a new one two years ago. I'll keep it till it stops working.

But I think I could live very well without it. I mean I've lived without on for 20 years just fine.

Dark-San
1st April 2009, 01:25 AM
I lost count on the number of mobile phones I have used after 4. I had to change mobile phones several times due to other obligations and also change of preferences. My first phone if I can remember is a bulky Nokia 3310. It's blue and probably the smallest of its kind at that time. 0.o; I believed I was around 15 or 16 at that time.

My previous mobile before the current one is Nokia N70. It is the better ones of its generation. Probably known for its stability and multiple uses. Mine can watch movies, play gba games, listen to songs and has a good organizer. The function that it lacks is sadly the lack of ability to surf the net using WIFI and also when it tries to connect to other listening peripherals using Bluetooth, it could disconnect without any warning given. And please don't ever get me started on the batteries. I have battery problems with all the Nokia models I used. >.<;

My current phone is a PDA phone, namely HTC Touchcruise. Many people might not heard of this phone but it came from the same company that bought over Dopod. It has all the functions that satisfied me and it's intelligence features never failed to amaze me too. And also this phone has MSN features! Which means I am relatively contactable anywhere I go in Singapore. ^.^

I have hold other models such as Motorola, Sony Ericsson and Sam Sung before. Besides that I have also tried my hands on the Iphone, LG models and Panasonic. LG models are generally every unstable and the battery life is the worst. Panasonic are probably the hardest phone to use if you are so used to Nokia's configuration. Iphone well, I could never get around its must- synco requirement, I prefer a drag and drop file easy usage PDA phone.

firepokemon
1st April 2009, 06:41 AM
I used a cellphone up my arse then it did a flip flop and I landed on my ass.

Magmar
1st April 2009, 12:57 PM
last Friday, I broke mine at the club whilst starting trouble, damn it...

Drago
2nd April 2009, 11:28 PM
I sport an iPhone and, as aforementioned, I got burnt worth of $60 credit on Internet usage. And more recently, $76 mysteriously disappeared in one day. So that sucks.
And additionally, I handed it to my girlfriend's four-year-old nephew for all of five seconds, and he somehow managed to get me locked in the phone section of the menu, a scary situation where I had to force a reset to get it to work again.

...But I still love it. Even if it frightens me sometimes.

PancaKe
3rd April 2009, 12:30 AM
And when I saw girls, especially the red-haired one, fingering their mobile phones I thought they should have fingered something else!!

Anyway.

Up until last year, I had never ever in my life bought myself a phone. I started off with a no name barely digital mobile phone in 2001 when I started going out to the shops with my friends. That was terrible, it rang, stored 5 text messages, didn't tell the time, and was massive. Like a cordless phone.

Then I upgraded to a Nokia 3310. Those were the days when everyone had a Nokia 3310 and if you didn't you were super weird. And people could change the cases etc. Mine was indestructable. It had been through everything. I got it 2nd hand from my dad, and only upgraded when it got to the point where I had stickytape holding down the lcd screen and holding in the battery, and when I had lost half the cover. That was a good phone.

Then I acquired a Nokia 2100. That was even better. It was so fantastic. It allowed me to text like a speed demon. I was amazing. Faster than fast. I love that phone. One time I dropped it in the sink and everything.

Then my best friend decided to buy me a Motorolla Razor for my birthday. Worst phone ever. It had the worst camera, it was thin but awful to use, and it just disgusted me. I hated using it and the only good thing about it was it was bright pink. Then one day, after a year almost, I plugged it into charge and it said "Unable to charge". I felt so ripped off and angry at it.

So I began using my Nokia again, but then that died when I thought it would make a great torch in a thunderstorm while camping. It rusted and I was sad.

So I began using a Sharp phone. Pretty crap, didn't store numbers properly, it would store numbers under other peoples names. I could only handle it for six months or so. So that's what I did.

Then I bought my Sony Walkman w910i. It is fantastic. Its my alarm, my phone, my text machine, my mp3 player, my camera (2mp), my video camera, its waht I use to make all my youtube videos, its my usb drive, its everything!

:) The end.

RedStarWarrior
3rd April 2009, 11:26 AM
I love my iPhone. It's much better than my previous iPhone (which I shattered the screen on).

I use mine as an alarm clock, making it a valuable part of my life.

midnightangel
3rd April 2009, 03:40 PM
I've had 2 Nokias earlier--the first one was kind of boxy and had the buttons right on the front. Got rid of it because it quit working after a year. The next one I bought was a flip phone that had internet access, but no camera. (I still have that one somewhere in my apartment in a drawer)

My final phone is a Samsung SGH A707 3G flip phone that has everything--from internet and a camera, to access to TV shows and XM Radio, though I only use the phone for making calls and sometimes paying my bills by phone :P

The reason I got the cell phone in the first place was my mom wanted to reach me in an emergency, and depending on where I went, I could be reached with no problem. The other reason is if I get stuck somewhere and need transportation, I could call a taxi right then (If the bus was finished for the day) and just wait for them.

shazza
3rd April 2009, 08:25 PM
I first got a mobile phone back in 2001, a really cheap shitty one that I got for free from a friend. It only lasted a few months before I got bored of it. Then I got a Nokia 6260 in August 2005 which I had until April 2008 which I replaced with my current phone, Nokia N95.

Katie
7th April 2009, 02:22 PM
I didn't get my first cell phone until about 2004 I think, it was a hand-me-down Nokia something or other from my dad. I've seen people refer to their own phones as "Nokia bricks" but this thing was twice the size of those. It was a POS, and I was only given it to use in emergencies. No conversations allowed. These days you'd be laughed straight out of high school if you had an emergencies-only phone. Sigh. The only good thing about it is that it had a few ghetto games - Snake and something else.

Then around New Years 2005 I got a new phone with my mom who had to renew her contract or something, so I got a (at the time) very nice small silver flip phone with camera, internet access, texting, a calculator... lol. The only part that bugged me was that it didn't come with many ring tones, and zero games. It had the option to download whatever you wanted, but you had to pay for the games and you needed the internet to download ringtones. For the longest time my mom was telling me we didn't pay for internet access on the phones so don't use it. So I just used a generic ringtone, no big deal.

I respected the no-internet rule, cell phone bills can get expensive so I behaved. Turns out, four years later we were in the Sprint store and out of curiosity I asked the dude to look up our contract and tell me what all we had. We had internet. And had been paying $20 per month for it on two phones for the past 4 years. Do the math. Yeah. Lesson: READ YOUR CONTRACT and if you aren't sure on something, ASK! rofl I love my mom but christ woman! :)

I still have that phone and it's still running like a champ. Unlike all of my friends who break, lose, or accidentally go swimming with their phones every few weeks.

Pichu Luver
7th April 2009, 02:53 PM
I didn't have a cell until I started university in September 2005. So yes I went alllll through high school using those funny things called pay phones when I needed to call for ride home after band practice or anything else. Lol, didn't see the need for one really (aka no social life lol). My sis got one though, a year before I did.

Anyway still have and use that phone I got in 2005. This (http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/7/7445_MotImage.jpg) one and it has not been classed 'retro' by someone who gets a new one like every year. Has texting, Internet, camera, alarm... yadda yadda yadda. The charger has issues working now, I have to put a book on the end in the phone to force the prongs to touch and charge. It also has a crack on the outside from the left of the blue area up through the silver and then on through the screen and out the other side. Finally stopped spreading when it hit the circle. I accidentally threw it down the stairs (I forgot it was in my jacket) um... a year ago. ^^''' Screen's scratched on the inside and the paint has chips to. Meanwhile my mom and sis both have news ones and my contracts up so I could probably finagle for a new one but haven't bothered. Yes... I guess you could call me cheap. XD

As for if I could do without it... yeah. I've forgotten it at home and just used the pay phones on campus if I really needed to call. *shrugs* Not to mention I'm one of those rare beings who actually turns it off in class. Until my watch broke I only turned it on to call. Now it's basically an expensive watch.

Little_Pikachu
8th April 2009, 04:58 AM
I jumpped on the cell phone band wagon pretty early, before they were cool. I had my first one about 11 years ago when pay as you go had just come out and suddenly, Mobile phones weren't just a thing for snooty business men. My first was a bit of a brick, like, but over the years I did get progressivly smaller phones, apart from my last phone which was a PDA. I got it because it was quite a cheap deal and it lasted me a good couple of years until I dropped it and smashed up the screen.

I now have a Nokia 6600 Fold in purple, which is very sexy.

I hardly phone anyone from my mobile and I only text if it's important so I could probably live without mine, everyone just phones/texts me so I don't know how other people would cope if I didn't have one!

Crystal Mew
8th April 2009, 03:34 PM
I got my first cellphone back in...2004 I think. My grandparents had verizon, and decided to pay for my service, so I had this little silver flip phone. Then, verizon screwed us over, so my grandparents switched to qwest in 2005 I think, and I had this pink flip phone that I really loved.

I started paying my own bill later that year cause I got a job, and then 2 years ago my phone was in my jacket and I accidently slammed it in the car door, and it broke. Well Qwest is retarded and the same exact phone would cost me $200 to replace, which is ridiculous..so I just got out of my contract instead for the same amount.

I switched to tmobile and got this lovely samsung t629 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Merenwen18/samsung-t629-g.jpg) phone which I loved too, but it recently broke because it's a sliding phone, and whatever connects the top part of the phone to the base got messed up so I kept getting white screens. Very annoying....my warranty ended like a year ago so I couldn't get a new phone without paying for one, and since my contract is up in august I'm just waiting it out.

The good thing about tmobile is that you can switch your sim card to any other tmobile phone, so truthfully I dont even need to get a new phone cause I have 2 to use :D
this is what I'm using now (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Merenwen18/34205_pdi.gif)

and I also have this phone (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Merenwen18/sidekick-id-t-mobile.jpg) in case the pink one breaks.

The pink one isn't nearly as awesome as my sliding phone, but it'll do. I mainly just use it for text/pic messaging so it works fine. I'm trying to figure out what phone I'll get in August though, cause I'll get one super cheap for renewing my contract =)

Master Rudy
14th April 2009, 06:00 PM
Currently I'm using a Nokia 2660. May not be state of the art but it gets the job done as far as I'm concerned ^_~

PNT510
14th April 2009, 06:29 PM
I am still holding out and do not own a cellphone yet. Which is kinda bad because I take long road trips in an old car often enough.

Dark Scizor
21st April 2009, 01:15 AM
I'm waiting for the new iPhones when they come out.

Until then, I'm using some cheap £5 Samsung. It's quite depressing, but the battery lasts a good week.

The last phone I had was a Nokia N91, which was fantastic, apart from the battery life now lasting no longer than 3 hours on a full charge, it isn't worth the effort anymore.

Fett One
21st April 2009, 08:41 PM
I got my first cell phone in June of 2007. It was an old phone of my brothers that he no longer used. I used it until it broke in July 2008. When that broke I got a phone (I don't know it's name) made by Samsung. It's strickly just a phone, so it doesn't have any of the other extras that people usually have on their phones (camera, mp3, etc).