PDA

View Full Version : Calling all gamers!

Telume
12th April 2009, 09:15 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this but since it relates to Website revival I may as well put it here.

I have a friend who runs a site called Gamerpedia and I just got struck by a thought. What if we had him be kind of like the encyclopedia for the site

Now I realize Bulbapedia already fulfills this niche, but what makes it interesting is that he wouldn't just be a wiki for pokemon, he'd be a wiki for all sorts of games. That way we're being sort of unique from the rest of the Pokemon sites out there on the internet.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh and of course most of the people on Pokemasters are knowledgeable on pokemon, but he's looking for a few good content writers that are knowledgeable on games. We're not focusing on the series as a whole here, just the games period.

And yes, if you're interested in being an article writer, this is also a recruitment thread.

Endy Ends
12th April 2009, 10:12 PM
Sounds cool

Blademaster
12th April 2009, 11:01 PM
Calling all gamers!

You rang...?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th April 2009, 12:52 AM
Encyclopedia on videogames? I am not right sure, but we can think about it. I'm not the one to say though.

Blademaster would be a very good article writer, I suggest him. We mentioned videogames, also other than Pokemon, earlier in this project but I don't know if it was kinda forgotten. Even if the site is going to be just about Pokemon we could still have comparison between Pokemon and other videogames. Blademaster has also a great exprerience on Pokemon.

We have also other people who would make excellent article writers. As for myself, I myself could only write about playing from my viewpoint, like how to play videogames even if you aren't good at them. But other than just writing articles, we'll have to wait for people to accept this so that nobody will write the articles in vain.

Heald
13th April 2009, 05:57 AM
The problem is, there are already wikis for more or less every major game series, including Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Civilization, Mario, Smash Bros. etc. that it would be incredibly hard to try to compete with them with original content. While I consider myself knowledgeable on a wide variety of games, I'd hardly call much of my knowledge of a encyclopaedic level. Besides, we'd never have anywhere near enough the man power to ensure the content we put up is true, reliable or noteworthy and not the man power to moderate this. If we're going to try and rebuild the site, we ought to ensure we have a strong core before even attempting a project such as this, where it would be incredibly difficult to compete with sites where they dedicated themselves to this one particular aim.

Telume
13th April 2009, 07:23 AM
Well obviously, this project won't get fully off the ground until the main page is revived. Right now, I know there's not a lot of man power. We're only looking for a few good people and then see where we go from there.

DarkestLight
13th April 2009, 09:58 AM
Sonic? :o. Right here. But yeah, we would need to ensure the base level of the site is up and running before we diversify that way.

Dark-San
13th April 2009, 12:37 PM
I must agreed with the part that we would need a niche for the main site. But the problem for now is that the main site isn't up yet and there are lots of possibilities that we can take on.

For now, I would say let the gamers here decide for themselves whether they want to contribute since there is also a possibility that we might go in that direction.

Telume
13th April 2009, 02:26 PM
Again: This IS an idea for when the main site is up and running, I'm not saying DO IT NOW, but if there are people who are knowledgeable in any games then this is a call up for if you're interested in article writing.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th April 2009, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah, now that I think of it, Heald is correct. In addition to what he said, TPM is a Pokemon site and we should focus on Pokemon. But I mentioned this idea: why not have a comparison between Pokemon and other videogames of our choice? Of course this wouldn't work with every game, but for example we could put there opinions and facts about Pokemon and Final Fantasy, like the differences and similarities in the battle system.

Telume
14th April 2009, 12:34 AM
Again, this isn't my site, I'm just putting the idea out there, I know the owner, you'd have to drop by the IRC chat (which is in my signature) and talk to him.

Phoenixsong
14th April 2009, 10:52 AM
It sounds like it could be interesting if pulled off correctly--very difficult to do, but not impossible with enough dedication--but it just doesn't strike me as something that a "Pokémon site" should be worrying about much at all, down the line or otherwise, unless the intent is to branch TPM as a whole out into other franchises. If the main TPM staff is interested in site affiliation, however, having this Gamerpedia as an affiliate, instead of an official part of the site, sounds like it could be a good idea. The two sites would still be supporting one another, and they might have an overlapping member base, but they wouldn't be trying to mash together in a slightly awkward mix of general coverage and narrowed focus.

Jeff
14th April 2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I like the idea of calling Gamerpedia an affiliate instead of considering it a part of the site.

Telume
14th April 2009, 09:33 PM
That's basically the idea.