PDA

View Full Version : What is your worth here? [Discussions]

Dark-San
17th April 2009, 11:24 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/2488976843_17bbf81f67.jpg?v=0
WE WANT YOU ...

... to tell us your worth in TPM. Even the kid in the picture demands that he has the right to know.

Everyone here knows that TPM has been in existence in the Internet community for at least nine years. TPM has also witness the birth of epic members, whether young or old, tracing from their humble beginning and to the day they left. The board has witness their glory, their failures and their posts.

For many of the veterans here, it would only be a matter of time that they picked up our pace in life and graduate from this board entirely. For the newer ones like Rossymore, there is still a long way to go if they want to call themselves epic.

One could remembered the achievements made here when a new moderator gets elected. Accompanying with it would also be disappointments, when the other candidates failed to make into staffs. Dramas can be found in every inch of the board. And of course lately, who can forget the politics we have here.

Many of us are involved in these. Most of the activities we can prided ourselves on. But when we leave the board, what will board or the community here remembered us as?

** ~ **

Questions, Quiz and Chatters

1) Many of us are here for quite some long. There should be a few things that you can be proud of here. What the notable achievements have you made in TPM? Describe the details please.

2) Leaving the board is only a matter of time. Would you prefer leaving the board in a bang or would you prefer leaving the board without anyone noticing?

3) It is no doubt that TPM will continue to exist even after we leave. But once we leave, how would you want the community here to view you as?

4) If you had left the board, would you still be part of the Internet community somewhere or would you leave the Internet world altogether?

5) For those still staying in the Internet community, what are the likely forums that the rest of the members are likely to find you in? For those not, what is the next step for you?

** ~ **

So what do you think of your worth now?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th April 2009, 12:43 AM
1) Some of the achievements I'm very proud of include
Translations (more or less wanted, I have translated for instance Team Rocket mottos, TVTokyo Yokoku, Pokedex entries from English to Finnish)
Completing two rounds of Whack-a-TPMer (it never was so popular after the first round by kitsun, but come on)
Poems for Poetry corner (Gimmicks and flames I have seen here, I'm proud of my epic poem, only a pity that mr_pikachu has left)
My own games, The Girl Game, 20-100 word Pokemon and now, From Answers To Questions (I hope you've enjoyed)
TPM Youtube videos (I enjoyed making those, I watched them one night and felt ready good)

2) My leaving is not a matter of time. I'm going to be here, even if it ends up I'm the only poster. Seriously. Only if my mental health goes down again and/or I end up in a hospital, then maybe. However, if I did leave TPM, I'd at least hope someone noticed. Somewhere between a bang or quietly would be my leaving.

3) See previous. I want to be integral.

4) I'd probably change to other forums and Facebook. I'm sure I wouldn't quit the internet, unless, again, my health went down.

5) If I understood this correctly, I will be where I have been this far. Plus ASB I'm planning to start. And perhaps RPG one day.

firepokemon
18th April 2009, 07:18 AM
A bit of a strange thread. Interesting questions. Since my history dates back to 2000 and likely my best achievements were back in 2000. They're not exactly things people today remember or recall. Indeed, for most of you my main achievements predate when you actually came here.

1) Many of us are here for quite some long. There should be a few things that you can be proud of here. What the notable achievements have you made in TPM? Describe the details please.

* Original Misc Mod. Appointed to modship directly by the members of TPM. Four spots were available. I managed to score second. Too Cool Scyther got more votes. PokeMasterMisty and ThunderTheTalkingRaichu were the other two. Prior to us misc mods and Magmar in General Discussion. Other mods were either staff members of the site. Chat operators or acted in some capacity via the reports TPM use to do. Thus, for us misc mods and Magmar. We came directly from the board itself.

* Pushing for new mods and stricter rules at TPM. One of the problems, this board initially had was that the mods were from the site. For many of them, they actually didn't care for the board and thus weren't doing their jobs as mods. Myself, along with PokeMasterMisty and others questioned the authorities here and pushed for rules to be applied and for the boards to be properly moderated. I'd like to believe I played my part there.

* Fanfic rater for the site. One of the things that happened as a result of myself being a message board user was the chance to help on the site itself. An opportunity opened up rating fanfics. I applied and thus got it.

* Chat operator. Being an aop on the chatroom which at the time was hugely busy and popular was itself an achievement.

* Remodded at misc and for some weird reason being an Other Anime mod. Not exactly proud of these. The other misc mods pushed me out. Silver_Espeon, Little_Pikachu and someone else. Other Anime was weird and I still can't work out why I was put there.

* Questioning authorities. 2000 had Dodrio and PokeChamp. Both corrupt and together with others were rather nasty beings. I'd like to think that standing up to them despite knowing it would get me banned and deleted was something to be proud of.

* Memorable posts. I'd like to think that some of my posts I made particularly in 2000 and 2001 were memorable. I know some of them such as what members will be doing in 10 years time were popular at the time. My constant rantings on corruption and the abuse Dodrio and others did. My attempts at causing notorious flamewars. My topics that focus on the history at this board.

* The ability to evade bans. Jay has likely beaten my record now. But throughout 2000 and 2001 despite being banned multiple times I could always get myself back in.

* There may be other things. But my real years were 2000-2002/2003. After that my impact has been rather small.

---

2) Leaving the board is only a matter of time. Would you prefer leaving the board in a bang or would you prefer leaving the board without anyone noticing?

In many ways my computer blowing up in 2003 meant I had left the board. Sure I've posted every year. But my activity has never been the same post 2003. I won't be leaving TPM.It uses up less time now and sometimes I may not frequent for a month or so. But I'll never leave. I've tried numerous times to leave usually with some attention-seeking topic but it never works.

---

3) It is no doubt that TPM will continue to exist even after we leave. But once we leave, how would you want the community here to view you as?

An interesting question. I suspect since the majority of users now existed either in forums I didn't particularly go to or weren't even around in the early days. I would guess I'm likely seen as an annoyance. Someone that tends to bitch a lot, reminisce too much and a bit of a trouble maker.

I'd like to think people view me as something other than that. But you can't actually change what you've done. For those members who were active in 2000 etc. I'd like to think they remember me for what I use to be. For those that have come since. It would simply be that there is something more to me what you see today.

4) If you had left the board, would you still be part of the Internet community somewhere or would you leave the Internet world altogether?

5) For those still staying in the Internet community, what are the likely forums that the rest of the members are likely to find you in? For those not, what is the next step for you?

I don't quite get what you're asking for 4 and 5. I can't imagine my life without TPM. In regards to the internet world. I'm active in some political blogs as well as active in a Figure Skating community. I guess you could say. I lost my internet contacts years ago. I don't use aim, I don't use MSN. I haven't spoken to a TPM member except over irc for months. I'm rather reclused online. Participate in message boards etc but don't exactly connect. I'm also in #spp regularly and #bulbagarden. I've never found another TPM and I don't think I ever will.

Drago
18th April 2009, 09:54 PM
I don't have a whole lot under my belt... I like to think that I can bang out a useful utility topic every now and then, the kind that sticks around because it's broad enough for more info to be chucked in there. I've been part of the whicked awesome misc mod trio for a few months now and we've been keeping everything pretty schmick...
I guess if I had to list things that I objectively see as achievements, it'd be the things I did that other people took notice of, in which case it would be creating the fic Minty Thrill (which I'll no doubt update soon), as well as the popular TPM Memories and TPMers you miss topics a while back.

Last time I left (what was it, 2004?), I quite intentionally did it without anyone noticing - a great success because in the six months I was gone nobody noticed. Nowadays I'm enough of an adulation whore to want to do it with a bang. Not like crazy destroy misc bang, more like a create big topic and receive your loves kinda bang. I think at this point though, there's not much chance of me leaving TPM to begin with. The thing is... it's not that hard to commit to. I come in, I check to see that there's nothing that should be brought to my attention, then I just participate in threads just as I always have. There's no pressure to post stuff, so if I find it worthwhile to reply to, then I will. I come here for fun, not as a chore, and though it ain't what it used to be, it's still fun for me.

Valued member and efficient moderator. I'm not expecting a whole lot more than that.

My presence on the Internet is pretty frequent. It's not like my Internet life lives and dies on TPM.

About the only other forum I frequent is goTitans.com, but as we don't have a particularly robust Titans fanbase here, y'all aren't likely to come across me anywhere else.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th April 2009, 01:20 AM
I feel that, in my first post, I posted something that contradicts what I have said earlier here at TPM. Yes, I left three times. But at least the reason for the first leave won't happen again. I left because I prefered Sailor Moon to Pokemon but there won't be another Sailor Moon. That's true because even if I lost all my interest in Pokemon now, I believe I would still go to TPM because TPM is more than just a Pokemon forum, especially now. I could discuss other things here. Like I said, the only exception is if my health went down again, but still, I could return later.

I'm an active PCG poster now. If I left, some of the games might die. Of course it can be argued if they are important. Only I, Fett One and Crazy Elf Boy frequently post in some of them. But I can call myself active and if those games eventually died, I would have other things to do at TPM. Even if I run out of ideas, I could repeat old threads made by other members. I know what you're thinking, in case all the other members left, I would then have nobody to chat with. You well realize this is insane, but only then we could say TPM is dead for good.

Mew Master
19th April 2009, 04:04 AM

I made a RPG that lasted over a year and caught the attention of the mods for how long it lasted, rivaling a few other RPGs at teh time

Bang. Why else do you think those packages of C4 are glued to the support beams that hold this place up... and my FINGER'S ON THE BUTTON BABY!

Legends are something that are determined by those that have witnessed greatness, and tell the stories to those who come later. I would be more interested in seeing how other people view me, than how I wish to be viewed.

I'd probably find somewhere else to slack-off in. Currently Facebook and DevArt are running a pretty close race for second place.

You'll probably find me more and more in ASB than RPG or Fan Fic. ASB's been pretty active lately and I have my own duties and responsibilities there. In RPG... I dunno... it seems to be losing it's drive and I guess I'm tired of seeing good RPGs die in their early stages.... but then again that's not a new problem. Fan fic... well... no one really replies to much of mine. Some of my older work had some constant watchers, however it seems that at the very mention of a trainer fic everyone ignores it, save for the ppl I pester about it.

I dunno though, things could change. And if they do, good. If they don't *shrugs* Meh.

So what do you think of your worth now?

About $6.32 and a plucked chicken bout covers my worth. I'm tired, sarcastic and sleep deprived... might as well let the sarcasm flow a bit.

shazza
19th April 2009, 07:31 AM

My mind is somewhat hazy in these areas, so I can't be sure if I'm completely accurate. I believe I played a huge part in making PCG a more structured place. I think I was the one who decided all tags should be compulsory and I enforced some rules to do so. I remember helping a lot of people adjust from UBB5 to UBB6 which resulted in me becoming a mod of UBB Help.

Just as I did my part for the rules and moderation of TPM, I also did my part in rebellious and rule breaking times; I contributed to PBS SPAM topics, I purposely flamed and trolled, I acted immature for then lulz and was a significant member of the hidden forum of 2004 or 2005.

I've tried leaving before on my own free will but I ended up lurking and then contributing rare posts to what would result into semi-regular visits. I've been banned before and I somewhat did miss this place, but I was fine without it. If TPM is existing and I have the internet, I'll always browse it from time to time and make posts where I see fit.

However, if I did leave it would probably just because I would lose interest rather than make a conclusive decision to leave.

What makes you say it is no doubt? Anything is possible, my friend. I'd like to be viewed as a member who has made a significant impact in both ways - a rule follower and a rule breaker. The fact that I grew up on TPM (joining at 11, now I'm 20) and spent most of my developed years on this forum, I hope people have noticed how I went from a child, to a teenager and now an adult.

I'd hope that my posts are considered somewhat intellectual and always worth reading.

TPM is just one aspect of my internet usage, I'll be using the internet until the day I die.

These days I still use IRC, I like to go on 4chan and 420chan and I'm a member of a fair few forums which I mainly lurk and occasionally post at: GameFAQ's, WWE forum, weight loss forum, Australian political forum and forums designed for specific TV shows. Probably more too but I forget.

Oh, I use Facebook a fuck load! I have a fair few TPM'ers on it that have probably noticed.

Heald
19th April 2009, 08:10 AM

Should I be proud of anything I've done here? I've probably earned the ire of everyone here at least once and I've built up a reputation of generally being a dick who will argue with anyone about anything, no matter how insignificant or petty. Multiple bannings, several written warnings both in threads and through the PM channels and more recently I unearthed a conspiracy to get rid of me for good. So can I feel proud that at some point or another, there has always been someone on this board who has detested me? Why not, yeah, I can be proud of that. The fact that I got modded is just delicious.

Is it a matter of time? I guess I'll only leave the board if activity drops to a level where I can no longer consider it acceptable to remain part of this community, or if I somehow realise that I ought to be old enough to stop posting on a Pokemon forum. I'd like to think that I am a big enough contributor here to posting a leaving thread without getting too dramatic, but I have no plans to leave in the near future, although I nearly left 2 years ago, if only to be stopped because I received a flurry of messages telling me not to leave.

I don't really care. I know I won't leave a legacy like certain members who are thoroughly detested, but I doubt I'll be remembered as any of the greats who were real contributors to this website. I'll probably be lumped in with the likes of Raz, Mike, Tainted and such as being the Misc Marauders, the guys who made this forum great.

I doubt I'll ever leave the Internet. I'm a member of several other communities, but this is one of the main ones.

Some of the other members here may well see me posted under the name 'Anonymous' on a certain website, but I doubt they'll guess it's me.

MToolen
19th April 2009, 09:00 AM
I've been pretty quiet here. I believe I've killed more topics than anyone else that's still active.

I've actually done it a few times. It's always with a whimper, a wane of interest and a busying of real life. C'est la vie.

I want them to see that I have some good points, that I never faltered with my grammar and post quality, and maybe, just maybe, knew that God loved them.

Yeah, I'd stick around.

Facebook, The Christian Crew (http://ccgaming.com) (Christian gaming clan), and ubercharged (http://ubercharged.net) (Team Fortress 2 forum).

Crazy Elf Boy
19th April 2009, 09:17 AM

I don't know if I have really made an impact in the forums around here or not, but I like to think that I kept ASB alive in its short dry spell by reffing alot of the matches (with the help of DL of course) and am trying to do the same thing by helping keep PCG alive.

I would probably just slink away but I don't think I would leave the board. I will be standing here holding it up by myself.

I would want to be viewed as a nice guy who helped people when ever he could.

Hell no, if I lose the internet then I would probably go insane since it is one of my main ways of communicating with my friends and other people.

I don't frequent many other forums, maybe just signing up for stuff which I can use to download torrents from.

Magmar
20th April 2009, 09:06 AM

Well, I was the first elected mod, lol, and I remember being nervous about it like hell. I also remember losing my mod-ship due to closing a topic in Misc. because it was spam and getting the "OMFG THATS NOT UR JOB :emo:" spiel. I was like... what's the big deal, I deleted spam yippee! Then again people treated TPM like it was their career, which is laughable now because some people still behave that way. Nobody's exactly making money off this Web site right now.

I've always sorta been here, at least lurking, and I don't think that will change anytime soon. I kinda wanna hit the 10 year mark. I'll be first, so it'll be double-digits! I'd rather go quietly, though, I don't think I take this board seriously enough to warrant going out with a bang.

People here today could care less about anything I have to say even now while I am here, I'm not nearly snide or bitchy enough to get any attention. I'd be shocked if three people read this post.

I enjoy Facebook. I'll always be online, probably.

Meh, I'll still be a part of the Internet, just this is the only message board I'm on.

PancaKe
21st April 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm getting a kick out of what other people think their worth is. Haha it's quite interesting.

Achievements...

- FanFic Achievements:
* Somehow, Lapras Valley High has become one of those stories that people still talk about even though I wrote it 5 years ago. And it won heaps of awards. I like to think that achieved something.... Numerous fics that people strangely remember; like Living in Pichu's House and [b]Full Moon[b] and ummmm yeah I think that's it for famous fics.
* Being a mod of fanfic. That was like, happy days! Started Smilie Town and other various topics..... etc. I guess I didn't really change much - but yeah it was fun.

- Other Stuff:
* Was quite active in Dragon Tamers. Will be once again soon - writing stuff right now for it :)
* Started Charmander Central (apparently one of the biggest clubs around for a while) and the whole Plushie thing. Which was fun while it lasted.
* I think thats it. Maybe we should be naming other peoples achievements.

I left unwillingly kicking and screaming. My net got disconnected and then spambots infiltrated my account leaving me banned and helpless. So for two or three years, there I was, far far away, lurking only as unregistered. But I'm back yay! Don't plan to go anywhere

Apparently you all think Im really nice. Which is a nice way to be seen

Find me on facebook, youtube, myspace, twitter, blogger, lolz i'm such a n3rd.

Dark Scizor
21st April 2009, 01:05 AM
Not a lot to be honest. I never really thought that I should put myself out there on a message board.

I left when TPM died and became an eZboard because they're pretty bad. But as long as TPM is around, I intend to keep on posting. TPM was one of the first websites I visited regularly when I started using the internet, it's like a puppy some parents get for kids as lifelong playmates.

A nice person? Not too fussed about that.

Facebook, I couldn't live without that. Other forums and places like 4chan...which I've been going to for almost 4 years now, I doubt I'll stay anywhere (other than facebook) for as long as I have here.

There's the facebook TPM group.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st April 2009, 01:14 AM
* Started Charmander Central (apparently one of the biggest clubs around for a while) and the whole Plushie thing. Which was fun while it lasted.

The only clubs in 2008 and 2009 so far:

Club ~*Charmander Central*~
CLUB: The Movie Reviewers Society
The International [Club]

Sorry about my PCG splitting hairs.

Number1ChanseyFan
21st April 2009, 10:01 PM
1) Many of us are here for quite some long. There should be a few things that you can be proud of here. What the notable achievements have you made in TPM? Describe the details please. Well, all of the friends that I made. So many of them have just disappeared, I still think of them, wishing that they would stop by and say hello or something. As far as physical achievements, I would have to say becoming a mod, especially the second time. After I failed in my first stint as a mod, I never thought that I would have another chance, so I was very surprised when I did get another shot at it. It took a lot of hard work and getting people to have confidence in me again. My other big achievement was becoming a worker on Pokemon Hangman in PCG.

2) Leaving the board is only a matter of time. Would you prefer leaving the board in a bang or would you prefer leaving the board without anyone noticing? This is where my online personality differs a lot from my real-life personality. In real life, I just like to be quiet and anonymous, but I like being well known online. So yeah, if I left I would want people to notice!!

3) It is no doubt that TPM will continue to exist even after we leave. But once we leave, how would you want the community here to view you as? Hopefully TPM would just remember me as a good all around member. It really wouldn't matter if people remembered me for any particular achievements, I just hope that people would remember me and have at least one happy memory of me, that they would smile a little when they thought about me.

4) If you had left the board, would you still be part of the Internet community somewhere or would you leave the Internet world altogether? TPM always has been and always will be the online community that defined me. I really have very little to do with the internet outside of very occasional e-mails, doing homework, visiting TPM, and keeping track of my Cleveland Indians. So yeah, TPM is my biggest footprint on the internet. I could never imagine starting over again at some other forum and making over 5000 posts. I'm getting too old!! Not many people know this, but I do have a deviantart account which I registered because my friend Chicoslavocia's Revenge has an account, but I really never used it much, and it i s pretty much inactive now. I made like 3 oekaki piccies, none of which turned out especially well. Chico is far superior in her art skills!!

5) For those still staying in the Internet community, what are the likely forums that the rest of the members are likely to find you in? For those not, what is the next step for you? Well, like I said, I would pretty much fall off the face of the internet. The only place that I would be likely to pop up on would be my e-mail account. I would pretty much just surf the web occasionally, but it would be very unlikely that I would pop up on another forum.