PDA

View Full Version : Movie Discussions

Endy Ends
27th April 2009, 08:12 AM
Well just thought this would be a cool thread. Have you ever seen a movie and then had the urge to tell everyone? Well here is a place to do so.

I don’t usually like scary movies, but recently when I was hanging out with some friends I didn’t want to be the only one to be scared. So they agreed on The Strangers . This movie is terrifying, and had me up at night. It has a major focus on the psychological side of slashes. The film revolves around a young couple, who spend the night in their remote country house. The couple are terrorized by three masked assailants, who break into the house and damage all means of escape. I highly recommend this movie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4a/Strangersposter.jpg/200px-Strangersposter.jpg

Weasel Overlord
27th April 2009, 09:50 AM
Oh my god, is that the one that had the posters everywhere with the TERRIFYING people with sack-heads?! Cos if it is, sweet jesus, just looking at that poster gave me the willies. No, I will certainly NOT be watching that film. Brr, horror. Weasy no likey.

However, I HAVE seen something I adore lately. Watchmen. Oooh controversial! I read the g-novel before I went to see it, and the first time I was just... awed by how alike they were! I know a lot of reviews seem to have thought that it lacked heart, whatever that's supposed to mean, but as someone who always complains about book-to-film adaptations, just seeing all that attention to detail on screen was fabulous. I was forever noticing cool things - like the poster in Hollis' garage, and the sheer amount of shots that are near identical to their panels in the g-novel. I thought it was stellar work - plus, mmm Rorschach and Comedian. And Dan was sort of pretty too, even if he DID have a bum-chin-holder. XD The casting was perfect - Rorschach looked just like Rorschach (but hotter), and mmm the effects. I loved how certain parts were slowed down, it felt very artistic.

So far, I've seen it three times at the cinema. And I'm off again when it shows at my uni cinema... Obsessed much?! Ahahahah...

As for films I'm looking forward to:

Coraline
Wolverine
STAR TREK ZOMG ♥

Jeff
27th April 2009, 01:49 PM
Oh yeah, the one with the sackheads. The preview for that was really creepy, so I never saw it.

I haven't seen anything lately, but I'd really like to see Star Trek, Transformers 2, Harry Potter, Xmen, and Angles and Demons.

PNT510
27th April 2009, 04:31 PM
I saw the strangers last halloween. It wasn't bad, I would have liked it better if the didn't give away the ending at the start.

Blademaster
27th April 2009, 06:52 PM
Dragonball: Evolution is out. I went to watch it just because I wanted to see a movie that was so horrible that it'd amuse me in traditional so-bad-it's-good style.

I raged and walked out demanding a refund 21 minutes in.

Roy Karrde
27th April 2009, 06:55 PM
I saw The Soloist on Saturday. Robert Downey Jr was amazing, Jamie Foxx went full retard and was freaking amazing doing that. That being said the Director and Editor should be dragged out into the street and beaten with clubs and uncircumcised penis'. Do NOT see this movie unless you have a huge tolerance for bad scene choices that absolutely ruin what could be a great movie.

Weasel Overlord
27th April 2009, 07:51 PM
I saw The Soloist on Saturday. Robert Downey Jr was amazing,

Mmmm Robert Downey Jr.

So is anyone looking forward to Iron Man 2?? I KNOW I AM. Not for any particular reason of course... ¬_¬ No but really, I loved the first one, RDJ was an added (SUPER SEXY) bonus. ♥

Roy Karrde
27th April 2009, 09:27 PM
Mmmm Robert Downey Jr.

So is anyone looking forward to Iron Man 2?? I KNOW I AM. Not for any particular reason of course... ¬_¬ No but really, I loved the first one, RDJ was an added (SUPER SEXY) bonus. ♥

I absolutely loved the first one, I got the movie on Blu Ray next to the Dark Knight. RDJ's performance was just something fun to see. He wasn't broody like Bruce Wayne, he wasn't a nerd that gets beat down like Peter Parker. He was a grown boy with lots of cool toys that had his eyes open. There is just something unique and fun about that, especially when he had his Press Conference while eating a Whopper and sitting on the floor.

So umm Yeah I can't wait for it! Especially since they will be slowly moving his character into Alcohol and Drug Abuse, something RDJ knows about.

Endy Ends
27th April 2009, 10:18 PM
I personally like Iron Man better then Dark Knight.

Also, I saw Coraline in 3D when it was in theaters, and it was awsome!

ps: posting this at 11: 18 pm , hope the strangers dont come get me...

classy_cat18
27th April 2009, 10:25 PM
I absolutely loved the first one, I got the movie on Blu Ray next to the Dark Knight. RDJ's performance was just something fun to see. He wasn't broody like Bruce Wayne, he wasn't a nerd that gets beat down like Peter Parker. He was a grown boy with lots of cool toys that had his eyes open. There is just something unique and fun about that, especially when he had his Press Conference while eating a Whopper and sitting on the floor.

So umm Yeah I can't wait for it! Especially since they will be slowly moving his character into Alcohol and Drug Abuse, something RDJ knows about.

Anyone else liked the cool computer system he had? The nerd in me was having a freaking orgasm over it.

But Dark Knight was still slightly better IMO due to the phenomenal performance of the late Heath Ledger. That Joker rocked.

EDIT: Last bit of data erased due to misinformation.

Roy Karrde
27th April 2009, 11:26 PM
Anyone else liked the cool computer system he had? The nerd in me was having a freaking orgasm over it.

But Dark Knight was still slightly better IMO due to the phenomenal performance of the late Heath Ledger. That Joker rocked.

EDIT: Last bit of data erased due to misinformation.

You know its weird but I kind of liked Iron Man more, yes Dark Knight was amazing and comes close to one of the greatest movies of all times. But those freaking Cell Phone Sonar Eyelids seemed like too advanced technology for that world. That one scene irks the hell out of me because it just takes me out of the world that for nearly two movies was crafted around a "Batman that could be created using modern day tech"

Weasel Overlord
28th April 2009, 05:38 AM
Also, I saw Coraline in 3D when it was in theaters, and it was awsome!

OMG it's not out here yet!! I've been looking forward to that film for AGES! Admittedly, I am a bit of a Neil Gaiman groupie, but still. What was the 3Dness like?

Also, I preferred Iron Man to Dark Knight too. I think. Only seen DK once but I've seen Iron Man twice now. I want that special edition dvd with all the shiny stuff! Plus it didn't have Mr. My-Growl-is-so-Deep-only-Dogs-can-Hear-It Bale. And the suit was sexy.

DarkestLight
28th April 2009, 06:08 AM
XD Oh man Being the Joker for Hallowen was excellent last year, so many Super Growling Batman's afloat.

Yes Iron Man 2 needs to occur. Now. So DOES Captain America. I'm not so keen on Wolverine though. I also want that computer system Stark had. My god, the things I'd build X_x

But-back on topic...the last movie I saw that I wanted to tell people about immediately was this kung fu film called Chocolate. S'about a Autistic girl that learns Kung Fu.

This movie is Ong Bak III (Since II is in production, might already be released even...)-its unbelievable what she pulls off, and well I still haven't seen everything u_u!

Endy Ends
28th April 2009, 06:40 AM
The 3Dness helped to enhance it, once you start the film it just seems like it was the natural choice.

Roy Karrde
30th April 2009, 09:55 PM
Speaking of Iron Man 2, first picture of it has been released!

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/IM2pic.jpg

Jeff
1st May 2009, 09:52 PM
Heard on the radio this morning that Xmen isn't getting very favorable reviews. Anyone see it yet? Also, Transformers preview (http://jalopnik.com/5234950/new-transformers-2-trailer-now-in-high+res). Looks pretty good. Don't know if it's worthy of joining Star Trek and Harry Potter on my must see list, but definitely a maybe see.

Ultimate Charizard
1st May 2009, 10:43 PM
Wolverine was good but the writing was a little off.

A little too stereotypical action movie. Much throwing head back while down on knees roaring at the sky kinda stuff, muscle bound hero walking away from huge explosion smoking a cigar etc.

Also, unless i missed it, they dont explain why he calls himself Logan. Beginning of the film he's James (and stays that way to Sabretooth), then halfway through (basically when he joins weapon X) they start calling him Logan. Some reviews have assumed thats his Surname but his parents are credited as Mr/Mrs Howlett (his real Surname). Just one of those little things that bugged me. Gambit seemed a little 'shoe horned in' at the last min too.

Also, Deadpool = The shit. Seriously, deserves his own film.

Ryan Reynolds was awesome in that role. Not too sure about the version of him later in the film (i dont count that as Deadpool...cant spoil it).

Endy Ends
2nd May 2009, 12:25 PM
I liked Origins. One of its strong points was the action sequences, although the part when Logan was walking away from the explosion was kind of cheesy and, the way he escaped from the facility where he got the super skeleton was also kind of unsatisfying.

It had a great cast, even Will I Am of the black eyed peas did a great job as the teleporter. Also, I have read the origins comic book, and unlike Watchmen it wasn’t a panel to scene direct copy so if you an Xmen super fanboy try not to get to upset.

Houndoom_Lover
4th May 2009, 05:00 PM
Over the weekend I wanted The Haunting in Conneticut, The Grudge, The Ring, The Excorsit, Carrie, Prom Night, Silent Hill, The Exscorist the Beggening, and The Omen...So much was spelled wrong.

I recomend all those moives, if not for the sheer entertainment value, then the cultural impant they have on the soiciety. But, one thing...There's something wrong with the Omen...I just can't put my finger on it. There's something missing....My spelling is horrible today.

Weasel Overlord
4th May 2009, 05:07 PM
OMG I SAW CORALINE!! Not in 3D though. D: Our cinemas suck. But I totally loved it. It was so... magical! I loved every single part of it. Good old Henry Selick.

PNT510
4th May 2009, 06:18 PM
This movie is Ong Bak III (Since II is in production, might already be released even...)-its unbelievable what she pulls off, and well I still haven't seen everything u_u!

Ong Bak 3 has already been announced. Ong Bak 2 hasn't been released yet because it ran into some production troubles but the movie looks absolutely amazing.

And Ultimate Charizard the reason Wolverine goes by Logan is Logan is the surname of the man he kills at the start. There is a scene in the comic origin where the girl he is with tells someone that's his name. I am assuming the scene wasn't in the movie because the girl wasn't in the film.

Ultimate Charizard
4th May 2009, 07:42 PM
Ive read the comic, what i mean is they make no explanation of it in the film.

They dont even give him a surname except in the credits which is why ive read half a Dozen reviews that state his name as James Logan.

Then again there was another review that named him as Silvan Gray.... god knows what he was smoking lol.

DarkestLight
4th May 2009, 07:49 PM
It's not even James Logan. The Origins Comic shows that he was called Logan cause that was the ranch boy (Dog's) fathers name, and it was the first name Rose thinks of when they're asked. As for the movie, yeah there was no need to transplant that from the book so they opt to skip it and go straight to " random bar/street/canada fight", lol. Hell in a way, I appreciate it, since none of us old time Logan fans knew Logan HAD a surname until what..2006? When did he get his memory back? Whatever year that was...hell i dun have that issue ::Puts that on shopping list:: So its ok for them not to divulge that for new fans, unless they read the comic.

I'm not a Wolvie OMG MUST BE PERFECT! fanboy-but more of a "I grew up with Wolverine and kinda get mad when they tear him apart and do stupid thing that dun make sense" type fan. The ending just... Omfg ><.

I'm not happy with the writing as it leaves no tangible way for the X series to have even occurred.

PNT: My god Ong bak III? I cant even begin to tell you my excitement for that.

Roy: *SQUEEEE* IM2!!!! Oh so great :D! It can't suck because everyone kinda lied low on it in theaters! In fact..no :;Goes to watch it right now.::

Ultimate Charizard
4th May 2009, 08:06 PM
The only thing in the X-series it interferes with is Sabretooth's appearance in the first film. Infact it seems they went to great lengths to tie it into X-2 more than anything.

It actually gives a nice little explanation of how Cyclops ended up with the X-men too.

DarkestLight
4th May 2009, 08:46 PM
Nu cause teh ..grr cant spoil it. But Cyclops...Cyclops would not have made any sense >>...

Endy Ends
4th May 2009, 09:13 PM
Is it just me or did the mess with Deadpool a little?

Ultimate Charizard
4th May 2009, 09:47 PM
Deadpool at the beginning was awesome. They changed the costume but they did that with all the charachters but they got the personality/style dead on and Reynolds was perfect for the role.

The 'thing' at the end was a little too Darth Maul for me. Hell the scene where he's revealed is an exact copy of the hangar scene from Episode 1. I dont consider that Deadpool, more that they he was the one they chose to experiment on.

Roy Karrde
5th May 2009, 01:43 PM
For those that liked Wolverine....

A Sequel has been Green Lit (http://movies.ign.com/articles/979/979654p1.html)

DarkestLight
5th May 2009, 05:16 PM
Why for the love of...jeezus >> Where the hell is my Avenger movie -.-...

Heald
5th May 2009, 05:22 PM
They need a film about Lobo. Best. Comic Book Character. Ever.

Roy Karrde
5th May 2009, 05:44 PM
Why for the love of...jeezus >> Where the hell is my Avenger movie -.-...

After they make Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man 2 ( Not in that order ).

Heald
5th May 2009, 06:08 PM
After they make Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man 2 ( Not in that order ).
Iron Man 2 is due 2010.

The Avengers movie is due 2012. Confirmed superheroes are Iron Man, War Machine, Captain America, the Incredible Hulk and Thor.

So, there's your wish.

Roy Karrde
5th May 2009, 06:12 PM
Iron Man 2 is due 2010.

The Avengers movie is due 2012. Confirmed superheroes are Iron Man, War Machine, Captain America, the Incredible Hulk and Thor.

So, there's your wish.

Yep, Thor's Production begins in 2010, as well as Captain America: The First Avenger ( Which they really need to change the name ).

So I guess we get a Marvel movie each year, with Captain America and Avengers coming out the same year. Or Thor and Captain America coming out in 2011.

Endy Ends
5th May 2009, 08:50 PM
Never liked Thor, can't see his movie being as successfull as the others.

DarkestLight
5th May 2009, 09:02 PM
Thor? Really? They're really going for the iconic Avengers, and not using the New Ones pre-Civil War

Thor..is gonna be like Hulk. In fact its gonna be like the FIRST Hulk if they don't think of something good.

Cap A...*sigh* I like Cap A, and then I don't, you know? It'll be nice to see him acted by a respectable actor.

Back tracking here. Lobo would make a fantastic movie. Hell, the Maxx would also make a fantastic movie.

Roy Karrde
5th May 2009, 11:51 PM
By the way a Deadpool movie has also been Greenlit it seems. I would guess Fox has just found it's money whore and wishes to milk it for as much as it can.

Blademaster
6th May 2009, 04:11 PM
Considering this topic seems to have gone from "Movie Discussion" to "Marvel Comics Discussion," I suppose I might as well chip in what I thought of Origins.

Or better yet, I can save some time and have Yami Marik do it for me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg8xdis9SVk)

Heald
6th May 2009, 04:23 PM
Considering this topic seems to have gone from "Movie Discussion" to "Marvel Comics Discussion," I suppose I might as well chip in what I thought of Origins.

Or better yet, I can save some time and have Yami Marik do it for me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg8xdis9SVk)
I came.

Ultimate Charizard
6th May 2009, 04:39 PM
Hugh Jackman AWAY!

Blademaster
6th May 2009, 04:40 PM
^Egg-ZACTLY. :cawg:

Roy Karrde
6th May 2009, 04:43 PM
To get off the Marvel topic, is anyone going to see Star Trek this Thursday? In the Americas they are showing a 7 PM showing of the movie instead of the usual Midnight one.

Ultimate Charizard
6th May 2009, 04:47 PM
Im gonna see it but i think im gonna have to wait till next Monday now....damn cashflow problems.

Endy Ends
6th May 2009, 06:17 PM
Seeing it on friday with friends.

DarkestLight
6th May 2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah, Star Trek looks fantastic, so I'll definitely see it. I took a Sci Fi Films literature course, and we watched a bunch of Star Trek. Easiest A EVER..

Anyway, yeah, I'm also looking forward to seeing Up. I'm a Pixar nerd. The only movie I hated of there's was Nemo, and I don't know why I hate it, I just do. Though the turtles were gnarly.

Jeff
6th May 2009, 08:02 PM
I wish I could see Star Trek this weekend, but I'll be busy. Saturday will be filled with Mother's Day festivities and checking the Internet for the big GSDS announcement and Saturday will be my sister's graduation, which also happens to be what pushed Mother's Day to Saturday. I guess I'll have to wait until next weekend.:(

Weasel Overlord
6th May 2009, 09:21 PM
Well, I liked Wolverine. Don't really get why everyone jizzes over Deadpool though, but then, I was rather distracted by Victor.

Am totes off to see Star Trek this weekendy. Woop!

DarkestLight
6th May 2009, 09:46 PM
You would be distracted by Victor, wouldn't you 9_9.

Weasel Overlord
7th May 2009, 05:58 AM
Whassat supposed to mean!? -_-

PNT510
7th May 2009, 07:05 AM
Well, I liked Wolverine. Don't really get why everyone jizzes over Deadpool though, but then, I was rather distracted by Victor.

Am totes off to see Star Trek this weekendy. Woop!

Everyone jizzes over deadpool because in the comics he's a great comedy character in an industry filled with a bunch of bad ass Batman and Wolverine clones.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/deadpool%20vegetarians/xxriotsparkxx/deadpool.jpg

Heald
7th May 2009, 07:47 AM
Star Trek fans: Check it (http://www.cracked.com/article_17316_instruction-manuals-uss-enterprise.html)

Weasel Overlord
7th May 2009, 07:54 AM
That is pure genius. Especially the flowchart. DEPLOY CAPTAIN!! XDD It amuses me that the only non-original series reference is to Tasha Yar(r?). People are really still sore about that, aren't they?

Blademaster
7th May 2009, 09:16 AM

You would be distracted by Victor, wouldn't you 9_9.

Whassat supposed to mean!? -_-

If I may...

I believe it means something along the lines of that drooling fangirls like you allow bad movies like Origins to get good ratings and spawn unholy sequels because you all cream yourselves over whatever dolled-up nobody appears in them, no matter how abysmal the film itself is, or how many canonical inconsistencies may arise, or how many other movies in the genre are ripped off in the process, etc., etc., etc....

But that's just my interpretation. I could be wrong.

Roy Karrde
7th May 2009, 10:21 AM
If I may...

I believe it means something along the lines of that drooling fangirls like you allow bad movies like Origins to get good ratings and spawn unholy sequels because you all cream yourselves over whatever dolled-up nobody appears in them, no matter how abysmal the film itself is, or how many canonical inconsistencies may arise, or how many other movies in the genre are ripped off in the process, etc., etc., etc....

But that's just my interpretation. I could be wrong.

Hey come on, some people just like the movie, there are a few reviews over at Aint it Cool, a website that was very Anti Wolverine, which said it was a good movie.

Besides, being on a Pokemon Website, I don't think any of us have a right to talk about fans allowing bad movies to be made. ~.^

Weasel Overlord
7th May 2009, 10:26 AM
drooling fangirls like you

Tell that to the cinema that's been packed out with guys since Wolverine started showing here. There wasn't a seat left in any of the showings since it's started.

fans allowing bad movies to be made

Snerk. Like the hordes of complaining fans would stop a film being made anyway.

Ultimate Charizard
7th May 2009, 12:12 PM
Quite odd.

Fangirls and Fanboys, two very different sides of the same coin lol.

Fangirls like the film as long a it has someone to fawn over...
Fanboys despise it because Wolverines claws werent the right length..(insert other random non-fact)

Weasel Overlord
7th May 2009, 12:26 PM
For the record, I liked the film cos I thought it was a great film. NOT because of the hot. That's an added bonus. I went in biased towards Liev Schreiber, but really didn't expect to like him that much. I thought he was bloody brilliant as Sabretooth (so I've never read the comics, sue me) and I really liked his and Logan's super-dysfunctional relationship. Especially when they fought together, all back to back. ^_^

Roy Karrde
7th May 2009, 10:11 PM
Back from Star Trek!

Good:
McCoy: Oh God McCoy, I don't know who the actor is, but he is FUCKING PERFECT!

The Ships: They Battlestared those suckers up, instead of always having crisp clean hallways on every ship, and everything looks sterilized, they made it look like something Humans would build, ESPECIALLY the Kelvin

Spock: Great Great acting for most of it, the love story annoyed me. Child Spock was freaking awesome.

Kirk: He had a swagger, and gravitas of Shatner, ESPECIALLY in the Kobiashi Maru *sp * simulation. LOVED the Apple bit.

Bad:
There were a few scenes that stretched a bit, some of the fight scenes had me going "Okay this is a bit un needed"

A major character finding Kirk on the ice planet seemed a bit well, lucky.

The Love Story between Spock and Uhura seemed wasted, and really seemed like just a chance to get two pretty actors to kiss. And Spock's line of "If I don't make it tell Uhura" seemed very very unSpock like. That being said all is forgiven just for "The Look" Kirk gives the two on the Transporter pad.

Overall: Probably the best movie of the Summer, my favorite movie of the year, it doesn't beat Khan, but it is the freaking closest any Star Trek movie has come.

DarkestLight
8th May 2009, 08:12 PM
That comment Weezy, was just me teasing you . Nothing to do with teh movie at all, really.

STAR TREK=GOD :O. Im not gonna say best movie yet, cause Im' still waiting on Terminator IV (Im not even a fan and I wanna see it)

Weasel Overlord
8th May 2009, 08:30 PM
it doesn't beat Khan

KHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Ahem. Had to be done. I don't think I can actually wait to see this film tomorrow. *shifts around excitedly* I nearly hyperventilated the first time I saw the advert. o.O And I was much the same the other oh, four times I saw it, lol. :dance:

It's okay DL, I was just being silly too. ^_^

Roy Karrde
8th May 2009, 08:35 PM
STAR TREK=GOD :O. Im not gonna say best movie yet, cause Im' still waiting on Terminator IV (Im not even a fan and I wanna see it)

I am soooo worried about T4, I heard so many good things about it originally, and the trailer looks amazing. And then the first early reviews come in, and it sounds like the PG-13 rating slaughters it. Not to mention the Opening and Ending need work.

pokemonrazer
8th May 2009, 08:41 PM
I had never seen x-men but my my Uncle Jason and his room mait. took me and my sister to x-men 4!!!!!!!!!!!! it was the BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO 1,2 OR 3 OF X-MEN TO SEE IT (11 OF 10 RATING OF ME!!!!!!!!!)

RedStarWarrior
8th May 2009, 11:46 PM
I have yet to see Star Trek, but when I have Star Wars fans telling me it's awesome, I'm very excited.

Roy Karrde
9th May 2009, 12:23 AM
I have yet to see Star Trek, but when I have Star Wars fans telling me it's awesome, I'm very excited.

There was a review I saw that pretty much put it perfectly. This movie is more Star Wars'ish than the Prequels!

Ultimate Charizard
9th May 2009, 10:49 AM
Saw it today.

It was absolutely Awesome. No ifs/buts, it was brilliant.

I was worried when i noticed the Writers/Producers were the same guys that did Transformers but luckily the Director had more sense on this one unlike Michael Bay's "Lets blow shit up prime directive".

The Cast too knew they were in a biggie and they did their research well. Karl Urban was more like DeForest Kelley than DeForest Kelley. Pine and Quinto seem to have that same on screen Chemistry that Shatner and Nimoy had and every now and then you see the Charachter rather than the actor and beleive that it could be the young Shatner playing the role etc..

Ok there is a rather forced love interest in there but its not over the top and theres a few recognisable faces in the background cast. Wynona Ryder is Spocks Mother for example.

All in all i cant reccomend this enough and it will definitely be in my DVD collection come Christmas.

Weasel Overlord
9th May 2009, 07:27 PM
Star Trek = EPIC. Epic winnity. I loved it sooo much. Especially all the fan shout-outs XDD.

"DAMNIT JIM, I'M A DOCTOR, NOT AN ENGINEER!!"

Bones was amazing. I loved him just as much as I loved Deforest, if not MORE (and man, I love Deforest!) Pine was an amazing Kirk - he had the perfect amount of swagger and pushing-his-luck, and it was so awesome to finally see the famous test-cheating. :D

Scotty = perfection. I will admit to having a major Simon Pegg bias, but still. He was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. And omg, the ending. THE ENDING. Made me feel like I was 8 all over again. *happy sigh* Excuse me as I go and steal the bf's original series boxsets. ^_____^

All I need now is to see Wolverine again and this will be the best week ever. ♥ (And man, how I had to resist the temptation to steal off with one of the gigantic Wolverine posters, eheh.)

Endy Ends
11th May 2009, 07:09 AM
Saw Trek saturday. This coming from somone who has never seen any other Star Trek content I thought it was awsome. I understood everything without having a huge background of it.

One question. How could somone see the explosion of a planet from a planet in another star system, and with no other planets in sight?

I know there are probally bigger things to gripe about, but that one annoyed me because it seemed to completley be illogical.

Weasel Overlord
11th May 2009, 07:23 AM
Nero left Spock on a planet that was near Vulcan, with the sole intent of making him watch. It was close enough to see it implode, cos that'd be a massive um... thing. Yes.

Blademaster
11th May 2009, 09:19 AM
Seeing a planet explode from another star system?

Let'd be like trying to see Pluto and Charon exploding from Earth. You might see a new star for a few nights at the maximum. And that's talking about a planet 3 billion miles away. We're nowhere even CLOSE to the light-year differences between nearby star systems to ours like Alpha Centauri. Star Trek or not, I gotta call bullshit on that one.

Weasel Overlord
11th May 2009, 09:43 AM
He wasn't IN another star system, he was on Delta Vegas, which is close enough to Vulcan to be able to see the implosion thinger. If they could see the planet not imploding from the surface (which they could) then they'd be perfectly capable of seeing it implode, too.

Endy Ends
11th May 2009, 09:04 PM
I might of misunderstood, not trying to start a flame war here cause I will definatley lose due to my lack of Trekiness.

Weasel Overlord
12th May 2009, 07:29 AM
Nah man, no flame war going on here. No worries! I'll stop talking about Trek now, lol. I'm off to see Wolverine again next Wednesday :D

Crazy Elf Boy
12th May 2009, 07:52 AM
Star Trek = Awesome. As Weas is I am also a huge Simon Pegg fan and he made the movie awesome.

Also I watched Wolverine the day after I saw Star Trek and it is also a very good movie which I recommend that everyone should see it.

Little_Pikachu
12th May 2009, 01:10 PM
I saw Wolverine, it was ok, but I had wanted so much more from it. It really wasn't as good as i'd hoped or expected.

Saw Star Trek last Wednesday, I don't like the Star Trek TV series and have never watched a movie, I said there was no way I was going to see it unless someone paid for me to see it... So they did. The magazines and reviews will all say "even if you don't like Star Trek you will still like it just as a sci-fi movie" but I'm not even that keen on many spaceship movies, they're just very dull to me...

Anyway, Star Trek...

Loved it. That is all.

Rossymore
12th May 2009, 01:17 PM
It's an admin! Those things are rare these days. *writes in notebook*

The most recent film I've seen is Wolverine...meh...
It has some good moments and some action scenes...but it was a bit too weak and slightly on the cringe side. I prey they do nothing more.

I've yet to see Star Trek...perhaps this weekend...

Roy Karrde
22nd May 2009, 04:01 PM
Night at the Museum 2 and Terminator 4 comes out this week. Probably a good bet that Museum will win the weekend box office. Anyway seeing Terminator tonight, anyone else going to see any of the two movies this weekend?

Blademaster
22nd May 2009, 07:54 PM
My dad likes sci-fi. I'm gonna try taking him to see T4 (Yes, T4. Seriously. Numbers are all you need. Put "Salvation" as a damn subtitle like the old days. Bastards.) for Father's Day.

I hope it'll still be in theatres by then. :(

Roy Karrde
23rd May 2009, 01:36 PM
Some of us were kept alive... to work. Loading bodies. The disposal units ran night and day. We were that close to going out forever... but there was one man...who taught us to fight. To storm the wire of the camps. To smash those metal mother-fuckers into junk. He turned it around...he brought us back from the brink. - Kyle Reese The Terminator (1984)

This line kept going through my head as I saw the movie, and the further into the movie I got, the more I realized something. The Producer, the Script Writers, they don't give a damn about the established history of the previous movies.

T4 or... Terminator Salvation is a good action movie, with pretty special effects. It's a popcorn flick where you turn your brain off, because, you have to turn your brain off. If you don't the movie crumbles under the weight of it's own history, as well as logic. The acting isn't as bad as others make it out to be, but the editing is. I am watching it, and there are scenes in which the character says one line, and then we are off to the next scene. I heard that McG cut out 30 minutes from this movie and I honestly believe it.

So if you are going to see Terminator Salvation, do not, I repeat do not, think about the movie, do not think about other movies in the series, do not ask. "Why does a sub holding the rebel's top leaders have no defenses?" do not ask "Why is Skynet's plan so stupid that it hinges on a variety of factors outside of it's control?" do not ask "Why the hell does Humanity have air crafts or even a runway for that matter in a war in which the machines would have taken out military targets first?"

Just sit back, enjoy the pretty 3D Models ( I sure did ), and the big explosions, and do not think when you see this movie. You will be much happier in the long run.

Blademaster
23rd May 2009, 06:50 PM
Extremely epic sadface. :(

Crystal Mew
24th May 2009, 01:24 AM
Saw Star Trek, it was awesome. Saw Wolverine, that was also awesome. Saw T4 tonight, and it was pretty good, I forgot what happened in the other movies so...I just watched it for the sake of watching it. (oh...my bf wanted to, thats also a reason. lol.......)

I wasn't shocked that Star Trek was the most amazing though, the director of Lost directed it ;)

Zak
24th May 2009, 06:22 AM
I just saw T4... was a little disappointed in it being hard to follow at first but it was a fun ride. :)

EDIT: Yes Roy, I made the mistake of trying to get what was going on the whole movie, it hurt my brain... haha, and the distracting action sequences didn't help.

Crystal Mew
28th May 2009, 10:36 PM
Was it just me, or did anyone else get a lot of deja vu during T4?

I swear it was like I was watching one of the old movies again towards the end..

Zak
30th May 2009, 08:19 AM
Funny you say that... I actually thought that it was VERY different from the other three movies, the whole way through.

Hence why I prefer calling it TS instead of T4... hah.

Drago
1st June 2009, 07:23 AM
Just sit back, enjoy the pretty 3D Models ( I sure did ), and the big explosions, and do not think when you see this movie. You will be much happier in the long run.
*sigh* I had an outside hope that maybe this movie could somehow live up to the brilliance of the first two; the subtitle 'Salvation' was incredibly appropriate, because it would have to save the series from the incredible damage the third piece of crap did to its legacy. I'm not too surprised, but fairly disappointed to hear that my hope was not met. Because when I get a Terminator movie, I'm not hoping for just an action flick; I'm hoping for a movie that will stand the test of time. And by the sound of things, that's really not the case here. I guess I should just continue to sever the existence of the series following number two, and pretend that anything that followed just never happened.

Anyhow, I don't see that many new movies, but I've watched a fair few lately (sister visiting, gives us a chance to cycle through some crap that she brought with her). Some reviews are better than others and don't expect to see any new films here, but hey, this is the movie discussion topic, not 'what's out now'.

(Mild pseudo-spoilers ahead; nothing too big)

Zombi 2, aka Zombie, aka Zombie Flesh Eaters (1980)
Appallingly plodding and predictable. By the time it comes to the final showdown, you've really stopped caring - there's no feeling of tension throughout, just bits of gore sandwiched between poor acting and stock-standard characters.

And though the concept of a shark fighting a zombie sounds pretty cool (and, in a stupid way, it is fun to watch), but it's more of a ridiculous oddity than anything else.

1 out of 5

Wes Craven Presents Wishmaster (1997)
A fun 80s style B-grade horror film made in the late 90s. As long as you know what to expect (bad acting, flimsy storyline and a few dumb one-liners), you shouldn't be disappointed.

2.5 out of 5

Thinner (1996)
It does enough to keep you interested, but it's just far too silly to be taken seriously.

1.5 out of 5

The Mist (2007)
Gripping from start to finish. One of the best dynamics is of course the growing tension as you begin to wonder who's more dangerous; the monsters outside the building or the monsters within it.

There are a few plot elements that don't seem to event to anything much, but overall the build-up towards the end doesn't feel as though it leaves too much unanswered. Though some characters are basic stereotypes, they're all fairly realistic interpretations of the kind of personalities that develop in a state of chaos.

4 out of 5

Jeff
25th June 2009, 09:31 PM
The trailer for the Avatar adaptation "The Last Airbender" has been released, link (http://www.starlog.com/franchises/fantasy-worlds/307-first-last-airbender-news-a-trailer).

Looking pretty good, but that's about all that can be gathered from a teaser trailer. I just hope the movie preserves the comedy and lighthearted feel of the cartoon, and also stays true to the story unlike a certain other movie (http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonball_Evolution).

Also, anyone else heard about Toy Story 3? Last I heard it was shelved, but now, apparently it's back on and slated for July '10.

Little_Pikachu
28th June 2009, 08:40 AM
Please see Misc Announcement, you're now free to make new topics about movies that you think should be discussed!