PDA

View Full Version : Heart Gold/Soul Silver Announcements

Roy Karrde
2nd May 2009, 06:40 PM
Next Saturday there is supposed to be a huge announcement as shown on Bulbapedia today (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Major_Pok%C3%A9mon_game_to_be_announced_this_month )

The hints are: "worldwide first announcement and a worldwide first big scoop" and "much-talked-about big title". Depending on where you are in the world, this announcement could come out for you early Sunday morning, or some time next Saturday.

Possibly a Gold/Silver Remake? The Next Pokemon Generation? We have one week till we find out!

Drago
2nd May 2009, 06:52 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, if it was indeed a G/S remake I'd probably end up getting it. They were my favourite titles of the series, and besides I never got a chance to plant a Meganium on my team (hehe plant).

kainashi
2nd May 2009, 07:18 PM
i hope they're remakes of gold and silver. best games in the series, imo. :)

Jeff
2nd May 2009, 10:05 PM
Ooh, that's close. Come on GSDS!

Nintendo has denied the possibility of GS remakes in the past, but I guess with all the fan speculation, including the fact that several people said they'd buy the games if they were released, pushed them to do this. I'm definitely picking up the Silver remake!

Poryhedron
2nd May 2009, 10:44 PM
That and the fact that there is evidence in the game coding of Diamond/Pearl that Nintendo was planning a 4th-gen GS remake. The data for where you first met a pokémon has a possible value of "Johto".

Jeff
2nd May 2009, 11:11 PM
True but the speculation dates all the way back to FireRed and LeafGreen. Nintendo probably decided to do this during Diamond and Pearl's development, thus all the hints thrown into those games.

By the way:
-Several recent references to Pichu
-This announcement being referred to a widely discussed game
-Gold and silver balls

All signs seem to be pointing to this being GS remakes.

Also, what does everyone make of this (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18219)? Would Christmas be too soon after the announcement? Nintendo has been quicker with releases lately. After all, Animal Crossing was announced at E3 last year and had a Christmas release. It would be nice, I've been waiting for this for a long time.

Blademaster
2nd May 2009, 11:36 PM
I saw this on /v/ earlier. Everyone was hoping for G/S/C remakes, but they're not putting much stock in anything so far. This could be G/S/C DS, or it could be Pokemon Snap Wii...

Or it could be Pokemon Battle Revolution 2.

Don't raise your expectations and you won't see them toppled like Jenga blocks. That's all I'm saying, crew.

Roy Karrde
2nd May 2009, 11:51 PM
Don't forget that the Johto Starters are in the new movie Jeff

But Blade is right, it could be anything, although the words used to promote it. All I can think of is Pokemon G/S, or a Pokemon Wii Game. They have had enough development time to do either one really, and still have it out by Christmas. Hopefully the hype is worth it!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
3rd May 2009, 01:07 AM
Or it could be a definitive proof of the Legendary Birds' existence.

OK, lame joke. But I'm looking forward to this. May 10th will also be 6 years since I had the only date in my life.

OK, off-topic. It seems I have nothing to contribute. Years ago, when Nintendo was announcing something, TPM went down because it was too crowded. At least that won't happen.

When I looked at the article, my first impression was "What the heck is the game named Pokemon Sunday" but then realized it's just the name of the big day.

Heald
3rd May 2009, 06:41 AM
Maybe they've done something really amazing and made a new game that doesn't have Water/Grass/Fire as the starters, and doesn't have the first 5 hours filled up with Pidgey-clones and Rattata-clones.

But that's really unlikely.

Otherwise, maybe a GS remake. However, if they make it so it is DSi only, that will be a masterstroke of a marketing move. Think how many they'll sell.

Blademaster
3rd May 2009, 06:52 AM
That would be both hilarious and... well, for me it'd just be hilarious some more given that I'd have a chance to laugh at everyone else that'd be going apeshit over having to buy the DSi.

I on the other hand still have yet to fully complete Fire Red (Gotta catch 'em all, you know.) and even get a second Badge in Platinum, so I'm sure I can wait the four month until my birthday to get the thing if it IS a GSC remake and it's on the DSi.

But that's still all speculation at this point. :P

firepokemon
3rd May 2009, 07:21 AM
I have yet to get a single badge in any 3rd gen game. I have just 3 badges on Diamond which has taken me 8 months to do. Mind you I got stuck on seven badges for RBY and just one badge in GSC. I dont really care just as long as I'm fully caught up by 5th gen.

BTW the Pokemon Sunday preview for next week showed a gold and a silver ball.

Rossymore
3rd May 2009, 09:03 AM
It's about bloody time! I've been waiting for a GS Remake for ages. Now I can do my dream teams.

I suspect you'll be able to trade from Gen III to GSDS using some sort of Pal Park, compatibility between D/P/P will be likely. I'm happy now.

Roy Karrde
3rd May 2009, 10:15 AM
Pokebeach has pictures of the party balls

http://pokebeach.com/news/0509/gs-remake-balls.jpg

Also! This November is the 10th Anniversary of Gold/Silver.... Hmmmmmmm.....

Pokemaster Ash
3rd May 2009, 08:10 PM
Well if it really is the long-awaited G/S remake, there's only one real thing I want them to do, and that is not half-ass it on the soundtrack like they did with FireRed/LeafGreen's soundtrack. G/S/C's music rocked, and I want it to sound just as awesome now as way back then. FR/LG's soundtrack was such a disappointment. It sounded like they took R/B/Y's music and copied it to FR/LG, leaving the GBA's sound hardware to fend for itself.

Aside from that, there's not too much. If they include the Sevii Islands, that would be a nice touch. Maybe finally give the US Celebi (preferrably WITHOUT an event for the damn GS Ball)? Oh yeah, leave the Safari Zone and those fun things in that were missed so much in G/S/C originally.

Jeff
3rd May 2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah, they need to flesh out Kanto in this game. It's like how they added the Sevii Islands to FR/LG. The MIA sections of Kanto would be the extra things that can fit in because of increased storage.

It's like I said in another thread, they should still respect the story by keeping Cinnabar destroyed, etc., but anything that was cut back without an explanation should be brought back. Make the caves bigger, replace that patch of small trees that was supposed to represent Viridian Forest with Viridian Forest, etc. I would like to see them bring back the Safari Zone though. Maybe they could keep it closed at first, but after you have reached a certain point, have the warden come back and reopen it.

Phoenixsong
3rd May 2009, 10:20 PM
Why even wait? You had to wait through all of Johto to get the Safari Zone. Isn't that enough punishment time? :P

Having the bug contest and the SZ would be great, IMO, as would finally having easy access to Ho-Oh and Lugia again. I hope it is GSDS--as Jeff said, I'm not going to get my hopes up no matter how obvious it might seem (remember the Pichu?), but GSDS would be great. Amazingly enough all of my Gen 2 games seem to have held out this long, but the poor old dears are probably on their way out... and every time I try to restart Crystal I lose interest part of the way through, mostly because going back to the old graphics and the old systems is so jarring. :/ I could really use some GSDS right now, man.

DarkestLight
3rd May 2009, 11:58 PM
o.O My god really..

I'll have more substantial posts once I go to sleep and let my body rest x_X

I'm leaning toward GSDS only cause of Movie 10 and the refocus on the Johto starters.

But a new Pokemon game for Wii wouldn't be bad

OMG DSi only-yes I would lead the charge in apeshit angered people having to buy one >>.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
4th May 2009, 02:06 AM
This is me again yearning for unattainable, but they should do a co-operative Pokemon game for Wii. Like you could travel with a friend via internet. They haven't done that before, have they?

Oh you others post such meaningful replies...

Number1ChanseyFan
4th May 2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for posting this info, Roy!!

Yeah, a G/S remake woould be cool, or even a game for Wii that kinda follows up on Pokemon Colosseum and XD wouldn't be bad either. If they do remake G/S though, I don't necessarily think that they should take Kanto out of it, but a little storyline to go with it would be great.

Roy Karrde
4th May 2009, 10:52 AM
Since we have a week until it happens, I'll add in my own ideas of what should/could be in the game soon. But guys, there are programs that stream Japanese TV live, if you want I can post a set of instructions so that everyone here can watch the announcement live, and find out what it is before well nearly anyone else.

Dark-San
4th May 2009, 12:00 PM
Update me too. ^.^

Although I should be busy, but I will take time off just to watch it.

Jeff
4th May 2009, 03:09 PM
Something to chew on:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15698464&postcount=141
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15698505&postcount=145

Supposedly this guy is reliable. The release dates sound about right and the breeding changes sound interesting. The good thing is that E3 is a month away so we'll know if this guy is full of it or not soon enough.

Rossymore
4th May 2009, 03:23 PM
Hmm...not that much evidence. We'll find out in a week or so, speculating what it will be shall make the waiting worse.

I shall ignore this thread until the announcement has been made.

Charles Legend
5th May 2009, 05:31 PM
I would not be serprised if they made it so that this time around you can go into the Past threw Celebi's Shrine, I mean they must have planned it for the Original games just like Leaf and maybe even the Sevii Islands,for Red and Green.

No really why did Game freak have you leave Cinnabar from the East Shore to go to the Sevii Islands for the fist time when Cennabar's East cost is wear not not only the most used spot to find Missing No. but also the most used Spot to get to Glitch City.

Or perhaps they were going to have a Volcano on Cinnabar, which woud have explain the eruption Story a little better I mean it would not have been that ard to make a Volcano on Cinnabar all they would have to do is use the moution tiles and add a cave.

I mean it did not make any Scene to have Moltres in Victory Road, but then again they could have also had it in the Pokemon Mansion, but I guess they at first did not like the Idea of Legendary Pokemon being so close to each other at that time...

~Charles Legend

Master Rudy
6th May 2009, 02:15 AM
Hmm.....while there is a chance we are reading way too deep into things and it may turn out to be something else I think I'm with everyone else on this one. In fact I think I'll be more surprised if it turns out they are NOT doing a GSDS. Why the hell would Nintendo program in the value to show a Pokémon was caught in Johto if they didn't have the plans to do something with it? Plus if you think about it every generation thus far has either been backwards compatible with the previous gen in some way or has had a remake to account for the multiple large areas that are explored:

2nd Gen/GSC (GBC)
Backwards compatible with 1st gen games (RBY) by way of GB/GBC link cable or the N64 with Pokémon Stadium 2.

3rd Gen/RSE (GBA)
Had remake of 1st gen in the form of FrRd/LfGn allowing for exploration of Kanto and capture of 1st and 2nd gen Pokémon.

4th Gen/PDP (NDS)
Thus far has allowed for transfer of 3rd gen Pokémon via the Pal Park by use of the GBA slot on the DS and DSL.

Now granted the series has always had strong sales. After all who hasn't heard the joke that Pokémon is Nintendo's license to print money. However I think I speak for a ton of people when I say that I believe GSC had perhaps the strongest sales of the whole series. It was also the most well recieved and I believe showed the biggest jump in the whole series as far as new features went. Plus the sheer fact that you had a very good portion of Kanto to explore following the original game along with a total of 16 gyms......to this day I still can't figure out how they fit so much into that old GB cart.

I guess in short if this is the route Nintendo goes I'm gonna have to eventually pick up Silver DS.

EDIT-On another note Kanto has always been playable in some way, shape or form in EVERY SINGLE GENERATION! GBA had the Red and Green remakes and you could go there in GSC. Now there's something to get you thinking ^_~

Jeff
7th May 2009, 08:59 AM
Here's the latest piece of the speculation puzzle. Supposedly there's this guy who works for The Pokemon Company, and has been tasked with dropping hints on new games to generate buzz (he was dropping hints about platinum before that game was announced). Now, he's been talking about Gold and Silver remakes (http://diehardgamefan.com/2009/05/04/pokemon-a-return-to-johto/), and it's certainly been generating a buzz. He even mentioned the exact date of the announcement two months ago.

Roy Karrde
7th May 2009, 12:16 PM
Alrighty guys, here is how to watch TV Tokyo.

First since I doubt anyone wants to download a program I am going to use the wonderful website known as Freeverse TV.

Step 1: http://www.freshverse.com

Step 2: Register for Freeverse

Step 3: Log in

Step 4: Select Low Quality on the Television Tab on the Upper Right hand corner.

Step 5: Scroll down to the bottom where the program is streaming, and select TV Tokyo from the list above the TV

Edit: Here also is a link to the stream if you have already registered: http://www.freshverse.com/tv_analog_ch12.php#live

You should now be streaming TV Tokyo!

Pokemon Sunday streams at 7:30 - 8:30 A.M. according to their website.

If it is A.M. then as of this post it is 2:14 in the morning in Tokyo, meaning that it would stream in the U.S. Saturday at

EST: 6:30 - 7:30 PM
CST: 5:30 - 6:30 PM
MST: 4:30 - 5:30 PM
PST: 3:30 - 4:30 PM

I would suggest doing a test run today or tomorrow in preparation of this.

Jeff
7th May 2009, 09:08 PM
Ladies! Gentlemen! Pokemon of no gender!:P

The names of the GS remakes have been revealed, they are *drumroll*

HeartGold and SoulSilver (http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/game/g090508_01.html)

Thoughts?

I think they sound OK. At least SoulSilver doesn't sound as girly as Diamond or Pearl. HeartGold on the other hand...

Dark Scizor
7th May 2009, 09:20 PM
God damn it.

I wanted to get that in first.

You ass.

Roy Karrde
7th May 2009, 09:55 PM
Would it have been too freaking much to name it Golden Smile/Silver Tears, or Golden Sun/Silver Moon?!

Phoenixsong
7th May 2009, 10:25 PM
Golden Sun is the name of another Nintendo series. They wouldn't call it that.

Indifferent toward the names, I guess. They might not be the same in English anyway. Eh. It's the game's content that matters, not the title.

Rossymore
7th May 2009, 10:46 PM
Guess who won't be getting Heart Gold...that just sucks.

Still, now I can get SoulSilver...and do somthing with it!

Dark Scizor
7th May 2009, 11:10 PM
Dusk Silver and Dawn Gold would have been nice.

Heart Gold will sell about twenty copies, worldwide.

Pokemaster Ash
7th May 2009, 11:23 PM
Can't say I'm impressed with the names, but finally we have our long-awaited Gold & Silver remake. As I said before, I just hope they don't half-ass this like they did FireRed and LeafGreen. I want a quality game this time.

You know, I hope they keep the old Apricorn balls. Moon Ball was kinda useless even then, admittedly, and Level, Friend, and Fast kinda have mass-produced counterparts in Nest, Luxury, and Quick (albeit with slightly different effects). Lure, Heavy, and Love are still somewhat unique. However just the nostalgia factor of having them would be cool.

Blademaster
8th May 2009, 09:30 AM
Soul Silver, huh...? Well, the first time around, I got Gold and Crystal... Guess I'll finally be getting the secondary of a set... Aside from Pearl, that is.

firepokemon
8th May 2009, 09:34 AM
HORRIBLE GOLD STUPID SILVER.

Roy Karrde
9th May 2009, 11:32 AM
Okay guys anyone watching Pokemon Sunday today for a real time report of the announcement?

Jeff
9th May 2009, 12:48 PM
God damn it.

I wanted to get that in first.

You ass.

Heh, I bet that's how Pokemon Sunday must feel right now.:P

Speaking of which, I won't be watching it live, but I'll certainly be hanging around waiting for all the news. Better yet, would anyone who is watching it mind hopping in the IRC channel to give the play-by-play?

DarkestLight
9th May 2009, 01:09 PM
Hrm. Since there will be no third counterpart, I'm grabbing Gold. I had gold before, so what the hell I may as well get it again. Unless the unobtainables in either are of some interest, but then again..I have..every..other...Pokemon >.>..

Ah. Might buy both. Just cause

Rossymore
9th May 2009, 01:25 PM
I'll definately gonna get it, I'll be able to have a Ho-oh and Lugia on my (soon to be) Platinum game.

I have a horrible feeling that we'll have some roaming Pokemon in the game.
Now with Lugia, Ho - oh and maybe Celebi, they'll be 485 Pokemon you can get if you own the main series games and you go to no events.

Now that there's the DS, they'll have more stuff in it. They managed to get quite a bit on a GBA game but the DS can have so much more. A larger Mt. Moon, Viridian Forest...and others.

I'll bet that Entei will be in the Cinnabar Volcano (which for some reason disappeared!)

DarkestLight
9th May 2009, 01:28 PM
Im sick of roamers. Hell, it'll be the damn dogs again -.- I still havent caught the roamers in Platinum, because I need to trade a Zapdos and a Moltres over so I can see them in order to chase them. Screw that random find bull..

Rossymore
9th May 2009, 01:32 PM
Isn't there a Marking Map in Platinum? Though I suppose with Mespirit and Cresselia included as well, five would be a bit difficult.

Or did the Gamefreak guys go "F**k you! You have to encounter them to find out where they are and they can flee on the first turn so you up your only Master Ball"

It seemed such a waste using it on Cresselia

firepokemon
9th May 2009, 06:55 PM
So Chikorita is seen following the trainer.

Pocketmonsters has This (http://www.pocketmonsters.net/imageboard.php?action=viewthread&threadid=789)

Rossymore
9th May 2009, 07:12 PM
Nice one FP, this is probably going to be the feature that the starter doesn't like its Pokeball and will follow the trainer around like Pikachu. It also tells us what the game will look like and the male protoganist's overworld sprite.

Sweet, imagine a Cyndaquil following you.

EDIT: Sweet, 500 posts. That makes me a cool trainer right?

firepokemon
9th May 2009, 07:16 PM
Yes you are a Cool Trainer now. In the pics you can also see the rival entering the Pokemon Lab.

Jeff
9th May 2009, 07:18 PM
Apparently it does.

There's been an alleged map of Johto going around. Here it is. (http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/11/johtohgss.png) Not sure if it's real, but if it is, it confirms the return of Kanto (through Mt. Silver being detached) and a new island south of Johto.

Edit: make that two new islands, and a small area west of Cianwood

firepokemon
9th May 2009, 07:20 PM
I very much doubt that Map is real. But it would be fine if it was. I'd be happy with it.

Rossymore
9th May 2009, 07:22 PM
Hrrm...it looks realistic but quite...amateurish. Plus it doesn't really fit in with the map from G/S/C as Route 37 is MUCH longer.

I don't believe it's real.

Phoenixsong
9th May 2009, 08:08 PM
Imagine having a Cyndaquil behind you? Imagine having a 7'7" Feraligatr behind you. I dunno, that seems like an odd feature to reintroduce--I know a lot of people seem to want it, but it was really only to be a specific throwback to the animé for Yellow. I'm really not sure that's what that is, unless someone's already had confirmation of it?

New Sugi starter art is cute, though.

Jeff
9th May 2009, 09:06 PM
Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvatNAUKFmQ&feature=channel_page)

The game footage wasn't much, just a little walking around New Bark Town with Chikorita following the main character and Silver peeking in the window. Also it looked like the wind was blowing, pretty cool.

Rossymore
9th May 2009, 09:59 PM
Footage is footage, the music seems to have been changed a little bit, the wind seems good though. Can't wait to try it!

The_Missing_Link
9th May 2009, 10:05 PM
Crap, I may have to buy this. I never finished Diamond and am bored with Pokemon but I did love Silver/Gold

Mikachu Yukitatsu
10th May 2009, 04:24 AM
Would it have been too freaking much to name it Golden Smile/Silver Tears, or Golden Sun/Silver Moon?!

In case someone is wondering, this is a reference to the original Japanese Johto Journeys opening OK!

Gloden Smile and Silver Tears
Yorokobi to kuyashisa to
Joy and chagrin

Colden Sun and Silver Moon
O-hi-sama to o-tsuki-sama
The sun and the moon

Or is it?

And thanks for the links!

Blademaster
10th May 2009, 11:11 AM
Pokemon following you around like in Yellow - the first Pokemon game I ever owned?

Fuck me, I'm buying it.

Roy Karrde
10th May 2009, 11:12 AM
Or is it?

Yep! Love that song.

Heald
10th May 2009, 11:40 AM
Pokemon following you around like in Yellow - the first Pokemon game I ever owned?

Fuck me, I'm buying it.
Yellow was the first one you owned?

Hahahahahaha.

But seriously, I might get this. I didn't really like GSC first time round, but I might warm up to it this time.

Blademaster
10th May 2009, 08:22 PM
Up yours Heald. :sweat:

Drago
10th May 2009, 10:03 PM
Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvatNAUKFmQ&feature=channel_page)
That video is fantastic. They're all so happy to be playing Pokemon. It's beautiful. Especially the guy with the Hitler mustache. It's his dream come true!!

And then, they reveal... Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile! Yes! Yes! They're still there! Wonderful!! Hoooooooo!!

Then... giant card battle! Massive fan attack!! Ninja suplexed into cardboard boxes!! Poooookayyyymoooonnnn....

...Japan is weird, man.

Poryhedron
11th May 2009, 11:54 AM
Imagine having a Cyndaquil behind you? Imagine having a 7'7" Feraligatr behind you. I dunno, that seems like an odd feature to reintroduce--I know a lot of people seem to want it, but it was really only to be a specific throwback to the animé for Yellow. I'm really not sure that's what that is, unless someone's already had confirmation of it?

New Sugi starter art is cute, though.

Bearing in mind the sequence of events in GS, I suppose it's possible that Elm sends your starter to accompany you to Mr. Pokémon's house, and only when you return with the Pokémon Egg, Oak's Pokédex and news of beating the rival do you get Pokéballs. From that point on, your starter would stay in one like any other pokémon.

The Blue Avenger
13th May 2009, 10:17 AM
Poryhedron: These Corocoro scans (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/2/2e/HGSS-Corocoro.jpg) show your starter following you past Mr. Pokemon's house - and one of the pictures shows a Pichu following you in Ilex Forest. So not only does this extend past Elm's quest, it could possibly be extended to more than just your starter.

Dark Scizor
13th May 2009, 01:44 PM
So, the new trainer designs.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7586/1242229720716.png

Crystal has been replaced. Isn't it sad?!

Rossymore
13th May 2009, 02:28 PM
Seems that the Poketch is still there. But seriously, what are they wearing? That hat does not go well with her stockings...

Jeff
13th May 2009, 02:32 PM
Whoa. OK, important question. Where'd you find those? If we're allowed to use them, that would be a great thing to include in the site's HG/SS section, which I'm going to start working on as early as tomorrow.

Dark Scizor
13th May 2009, 02:54 PM
Scans and stuff are all over 4chan's video games board.

I'm pretty sure nobody would mind/care if you used them :)

Roy Karrde
6th June 2009, 06:14 PM
Well I decided to start watching Pokemon Sundays, hopefully we can use it to get scoops on stuff before Serebii does.

I don't know if this has been reported before, but they showed off a new toy during the opening segments that can connect with Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1549/pokemonwalker.jpg

I believe it is called Pokemon Walker, while I may be off, it seems like the old Pikachu Pedometer, and isn't bigger than a Gigapet/Tamagachi, but it also has minigames including Pokemon battles. One they showed off was you choosing a grass patch, and going into battle with a Sentrent. I'll post more updates on other stuff if I see them.

Like I said, they made a big deal about this being with Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, so possibly some kind of connection with it.

Edit: They held a Starters Battle where Shinoh starters faced off against Johto Starters, the results went like this
Piplup versus Chikorita
Piplup is KOed

Chimchar versus Chikorita
Chikorita is KOed

Chimchar versus Totodile
Totodile is KOed

Chimchar versus Cyndaquil
Chimchar is KOed

Turtwig versus Cyndaquil
Turtwig is KOed

Johto Starters win.

Jeff
6th June 2009, 06:29 PM
Wow, I saw something on upcoming game releases and it included something on that kind of thing. It also said the release date for HG/SS was September '09.

It kind of reminds me of the Pokemon Pikachu 2, which was compatible with the original GS. Maybe it'll be able to communicate with the DS/DSi wirelessly, and allow you to transmit items to those games like the Pokemon Pikachu 2 did.

Roy Karrde
6th June 2009, 06:38 PM
Since I am not fluent in Japanese, I checked over at the Serebii forums for confirmation, you can take one Pokemon out of your HG/SS game, and walk with it, it's friendship rating and actual EXP will grow with every step.

Blademaster
6th June 2009, 08:15 PM
Whoa whoa whoa.

It's EXPERIENCE grows, too?

I'll take 28 plz thank you Japan.

classy_cat18
6th June 2009, 09:34 PM
Sounds awesome, but I hope there's a way we could raise its happiness and not its EXP. I still need to effectively EV train my pokes.

Roy Karrde
6th June 2009, 10:02 PM
There is confirmation that the game will be bundled with the Pokemon Walker. Obviously you can buy the game seperately, but you can also buy the game and the Walker in Japan, and most likely in other nations.

DarkestLight
7th June 2009, 11:34 AM
EV train it first, then dump it in the walker C_C >> No worries there-that's actually awesome. Word I ned 28 as well, The way I run, my god I'd have lvl 100s in NO time

Rossymore
7th June 2009, 11:42 AM
You're going to be so heartbroken if they were only released in Japan! XD

DarkestLight
7th June 2009, 02:58 PM
Import :O.

Rossymore
7th June 2009, 03:16 PM
XD
I saw that coming

Roy Karrde
12th June 2009, 09:12 AM
It has now been confirmed that ALL Pokemon will be able to follow your character, you will be able to turn to them from time to time and talk to them like you were able to with Pikachu. You also will be able to receive items from them.

Also Kanto has now been confirmed for the game.

Enjoy!

Drago
12th June 2009, 09:26 AM
Aww damn man... Whenever they add stuff like this, I always want to revert back to the Pokemon from my original blue team. Being stalked by a gigantic Venusaur or Dragonite = comic gold!

Roy Karrde
12th June 2009, 09:46 AM
Just a little house keeping, since the announcement came and went last month. I am changing the name of the thread to reflect the true nature of the thread now.

Jeff
12th June 2009, 10:18 AM
Just think of how awesome it would be to be followed by the Red Gyarados!

This is just sounding better and better. I'm still hoping it's optional though, there still doesn't seem to be any confirmation that it is.

Also from the latest scans, the pokedex is going to be much easier to navigate, since it'll be touch screen-based and it will be organized differently. Instead of being organized as a list, it's a table with 5 entries to a row, so instead of having to scroll through 493 items, you only need to scroll through 99 rows. Oh yeah, and it looks like only pokemon available in the second generation will be obtainable in the Johto dex (like in FR/LG), so no, you won't be able to fight Whitney with a Togekiss :(.

Blademaster
12th June 2009, 11:38 AM
Awesome. After I beat the main game, I can have a team of 6 Magikarp follow me around everywhere for no evident reason.

Chris 2.1
12th June 2009, 01:41 PM
Lol at the Steelix following the trainer! I am so excited for these games. Ruins of Alph look amazing too!

Roy Karrde
12th June 2009, 05:20 PM
Since the image is so big I am just going to provide a link to the scan

http://nov.2chan.net:81/b/src/1244784671466.jpg

Things I noticed

Obviously there is the Pokedex so I can get to work on a 3D Model of it!

There is also a small area to the left of the Bug Catcher Area.

Other than that there is the usual stuff you have heard about.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th June 2009, 12:19 AM
I wonder if this means they will go back to Johto in the anime. Well, perhaps they would make the best of it this time.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
13th June 2009, 03:56 AM
HG/SS > Orgasm.

Heald
13th June 2009, 05:33 AM
HG/SS > Orgasm.
Warning: this thread may contain hyperbole.

SteelersFan
13th June 2009, 09:24 PM
it HAS to be a G/S remake.

Roy Karrde
13th June 2009, 10:12 PM
I missed Pokemon Sunday today * Should really put it on my schedule *

They showed off new video of the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIHrCK_x3fM

Even I gotta admit, that Lugia figurine looks like the shitz!

Drago
14th June 2009, 04:36 AM
Oh yeah, and it looks like only pokemon available in the second generation will be obtainable in the Johto dex (like in FR/LG), so no, you won't be able to fight Whitney with a Togekiss :(.
The latest video shows battles against a Milotic and Lucario, though. Indicative that we will indeed see 3rd/4th gen? Or had they shifted at that point to footage from a different Pokemon game and I just didn't realise it? I mean, they all look basically the same most of the time anyway...

Pokemaster Ash
14th June 2009, 10:06 AM
It is possible that the Milotic/Lucario fight might have been from later in the game when you have the National Dex (unless it's possible to trade for those sorts of things early on).

Unless they make it totally impossible to get Magmarizers, Shiny Stones, and the Incenses, though, I have a very hard time believing that the Johto Dex is going to consist of only the original 251 (if that). Not to mention in the cases of Yanma, Lickitung, Piloswine, and Tangela, they evolve based on the moves they know (unless they're gonna rip AncientPower and Rollout out of their movesets).

Jeff
15th June 2009, 07:14 AM
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgss/story/

Map of Johto!

A few interesting tidbits:
-The four paths near Mt. Silver have changed. Now the north path goes to the mountain, I'm assuming the right path goes to Indigo, but where does that leave the left path? It just seems to go off to nowhere.
-New areas near the National Park, and Cianwood
-Radio Tower's on its own platform out in the water
-Big gold cloud behind Ecruteak
-Magnet train track (if Kanto wan't confirmed before, it sure is now!)

DarkestLight
15th June 2009, 10:14 AM
Wasn't there a small area just left of Mt Silver that ended in a dead end? I dunno if my silver will start up again, but its worth investigating...

Pokemaster Ash
15th June 2009, 11:44 AM
Well keep in mind that this is map is official art. It may not completely match up with the in-game map. The new things here and there do look interesting, though. It does look like there's a bunch of stuff west of Cianwood now, which used to be as far west as you could go in G/S/C.

DarkestLight
15th June 2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah I'm thinking new Battle Frontier area. Which would be nice. That Gold Cloud has me intrigued. Pretty sure Ho-Oh is chilling up there. But as for Lugia, is that supposed to be in Tohjo falls?

Pokemaster Ash
15th June 2009, 05:01 PM
I've grown rather tired of Battle Frontier at this point. Not to mention, I have experienced nothing but absolute Hell at the hands of those trainers (not even the Brains, either, those damn hax'd trainers always get me when I get something good going).

And if HG/SS is going to follow Gold/Silver, then Ho-oh should still be atop Tin Tower while Lugia is deep in the Whirl Islands. As for where any of these other Legendaries that are gonna pop up are gonna hide...no idea.

Houndoom_Lover
16th June 2009, 04:21 PM
I agree with Pokemaster Ash on that one. I'd like it more if they handed out experiance or something worth while.

But Gold/Silver were my favorite. I look forward to day and night, plus weather, and hopefully the use of headbutt in the field :3

Starscream
29th June 2009, 02:01 AM
I felt very excited of this new rendition of G/S.
Honestly, Silver is my favorite version of Pokemon and I can say no one will ever beat that.

Starscream
3rd July 2009, 05:09 AM
Have you already seen the gameplay of Heart Gold and Soul Silver?
Check it out here: Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Gameplay (http://www.jefusion.info/2009/07/pokemon-heart-gold-and-soul-silver.html)

Master Rudy
4th July 2009, 04:48 AM
Awesome. After I beat the main game, I can have a team of 6 Magikarp follow me around everywhere for no evident reason.

Why is it I am not surprised by this? lol

Kurosakura
4th July 2009, 07:50 AM
Unless they make it totally impossible to get Magmarizers, Shiny Stones, and the Incenses, though, I have a very hard time believing that the Johto Dex is going to consist of only the original 251 (if that). Not to mention in the cases of Yanma, Lickitung, Piloswine, and Tangela, they evolve based on the moves they know (unless they're gonna rip AncientPower and Rollout out of their movesets).

They're probably going to do what they did with FR/LG, make you wait until you get a National Dex of some sort (which frustrated me, I was flipping out trying to get a Crobat until I read that you have to defeat the Elite Four first and BLAH BLAH BLAH). Anyway, most of the new evolutions in D/P/Pt were pretty fail, anyway, (with the new branch evolutions being exceptions, they were pretty awesome.)

But what're they going to do with Pokemon like Magneton and Nosepass? Don't they evolve in Mt. Coronet?

Jeff
4th July 2009, 08:56 AM
They evolve in the presence of a strong magnetic field. The most obvious thing to do would be to add a field or cave near the magnet train track somewhere and have you evolve them there. Seeing how the track seems to come above ground randomly at one point, that seems like a likely possibility.

Blademaster
4th July 2009, 03:06 PM
Why is it I am not surprised by this? lol

Heh heh heh heh heh... You know why...

But what're they going to do with Pokemon like Magneton and Nosepass? Don't they evolve in Mt. Coronet?

Like Jeff and a lot of other people said, I'm guessing it's either gonna be tied to the Magnet Train somehow, or they'll evolve in the Kanto Power Plant off of Route 10.

Kurosakura
5th July 2009, 07:18 AM
But what about Leafeon and Glaceon? Ilex/Viridian Forest and Ice Cave?

Poryhedron
5th July 2009, 10:24 AM
Ilex/Viridian and Ice Path/Seafoam, most likely.

Jeff
10th July 2009, 09:35 AM
Just reported this on the site. Info from the latest CoroCoro scans:

Scans of the latest issue of CoroCoro have surfaced and reveal some previously unknown info on HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Crystal fans rejoice, Eusine will be in the game! However, the Suicune plot from Crystal won't be. Instead, Eusine will simply be looking for Suicune. This also seems to confirm that the female playable character in these games is Kris from Crystal with a heavy redesign (why would they include Eusine without including Kris?). And one last bit on the characters is that the Kimono Girls' role in the games will be expanded. Instead of fighting them once, they'll appear multiple times in the story.

The scans also reveal info on the legendaries. You'll be able to catch all three beasts as you did in Gold and Silver; Suicune is NOT caught at the Tin Tower. Ho-oh and Lugia are found in the same places you find them in GSC, but are at level 45, not level 40, it's still unknown what their post-Kanto levels are however. The birds will also have "special abilities", whether this refers to their signature attacks, Aeroblast and Sacred Fire, or something new is unknown. As has been reported before, Red Gyarados will be in the game; it will be at level 30 at the lake of rage just as before. Finally, the Latis and Mewtwo will appear in the game as well, but we don't know anything else yet about how you catch them.

And finally, the last bit of info is that HG/SS will include nine minigames. One of them will be a racing game called Pokéathlon. Not much else is known about it.

Don't forget to watch Pokémon Sunday for even more info on the games, including footage of the aforementioned Red Gyarados!

Edit: link (http://209.123.162.177/~vash//tpm/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1247236221&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&)

Jeff
11th July 2009, 06:56 PM
Screenshots from Pokemon Sunday up on the site.

Shane
11th July 2009, 07:24 PM
I'll try to continue taking screencaps for you guys. ^^

Jeff
12th July 2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks!

Link
13th July 2009, 11:17 AM
I'll be looking forward to getting these games soon. They sound like they're going to be worth it.

EngiMatikul
13th July 2009, 01:27 PM
...And one last bit on the characters is that the Kimono Girls' role in the games will be expanded. Instead of fighting them once, they'll appear multiple times in the story.

I'm sold. SPREAD THE KIMONO MOE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD

Starscream
17th July 2009, 02:24 AM
Well, I'm just happy to see Red Gyarados again, the father of all shinies... :)

Shane
18th July 2009, 06:31 PM
Here I am, reporting what I saw. "XD375" (me) has no new pics but lots of news.

The video footage was Houou and Lugia encounters, although we already have some high-quality screens of those from the official site. It showed overworld encounters and battles.

The encounter with the legendary beasts was shown too, and like in Crystal, Suicune stopped in front of you before leaving. As we've seen in screenshots, we can assume Eusine then appears, claiming to have seen Suicune, just like in Crystal.

Battle footage against Entei was shown.

Music from the Burned Brass Tower and legendary battles was heard. It was amazing. :]

Kurosakura
18th July 2009, 06:34 PM
Looks like they redid the gyms too. I think it was Azalea and Goldenrod that they showed?

Jeff
8th August 2009, 08:21 AM
Latest news just posted to the main page: http://209.123.162.177/~vash//tpm/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1249737589&archive=&start_from=&ucat=8&

The latest issue of CoroCoro has been leaked and the scans reveal some previously unknown information on HG/SS. The one thing that pretty much nobody saw coming was that the original specialty pokeballs are going to make a return. Like in Gold and Silver, these balls will be made by Kurt from apricorns. Apricorns will also be grown like berries and stored in a new key item called the Apricorn case. Four of these balls were seen in one of the leaked scans, they are:

* Friend Ball: Made from a green apricorn, makes pokemon like you upon catching, as with the luxury ball.

* Heavy Ball: Made from a black apricorn, has a higher catch rate on heavy pokemon. Great for Snorlax and Groudon!

* Love Ball: Made from a pink apricorn, has a higher catch rate if the wild pokemon is of the opposite gender of the pokemon you're currently using.

* Fast Ball: Made from a white apricorn, has a higher catch rate on pokemon that instantly run from battle. Great for fleeing legendaries! Also, note that it's different that the quick ball which simply has a higher catch rate if you use it early in the battle

The scan was cut off so no other balls were seen, but we can only assume that the rest of the original balls are back as well:

* Level Ball: Made from a red apricorn, the lower the level of the wild pokemon is against your pokemon, the better its catch rate is, as with the Nest Ball.

* Lure Ball: Made from a blue apricorn, has a better catch rate if the pokemon was hooked on a rod.

* Moon Ball: Made from a yellow apricorn, has a higher catch rate if the pokemon can be evolved with a Moon Stone. This means its improved rate only works on 5 species of pokemon: Nidorina, Nidorino, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Skitty.

Also returning from Gold and Silver, is the Togepi egg mission, and the bug-catching contest in the National Park. A couple things that we already know that the magazine goes over are the return of Kanto and the ability to catch Raquaza after getting Kyogre and Groudon.

The last bit of info, actually two bits of info, is that Johto now has a Safari Zone and Battle Frontier! These are both areas that weren't in the originals, so it's great to see these new additions. The Safari Zone is the up-until-now mysterious area west of Cianwood City, and the Battle Frontier will be located outside of Olivine, where the Battle Tower was in Crystal. It's unknown what the inclusion of a Safari Zone in Johto means for Kanto's Safari Zone. Maybe it will remain closed, or maybe it will reopen an we'll have two safari zones.

With just a little over a month to go to the release of HG/SS, expect more information to come pouring out!

firepokemon
8th August 2009, 09:03 AM
Sweet. Bug-catching competition nice. I can get my Butterfree ^_^

Poryhedron
8th August 2009, 11:33 AM
Apricorns: Apricorns, in my mind, are just one part of a bigger picture that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: the function of Berries. GS introduced Berries, but they worked differently than they have ever since. In GSC, you didn't have to worry about planting and watering the Berries. There were Berry Trees that were permanent fixtures, and reliably and autonomously produced one Berry each per day. Apricorns are part of that system. Will Nintendo bring that back, or are we stuck with the modern-day requirement that you be a gardener in order to get Berries? And if so, will Apricorns be the exception that sticks with the old method or will we be planting and watering Apricorn trees in order to get Kurt's special Pokéballs? Honestly, I have some reservations about every side of this debate; I'm not sure what to hope for.

May 11th. Screw you and your "pretty much nobody".

That said, I had a feeling I was going to be disappointed by how Nintendo handled this issue, and I was very right. I am not a $@*&ing gardener and have no intention of being a $@*&ing gardener.

Blademaster
8th August 2009, 11:55 AM
I'm just glad Apricorns are back. I never grow Berries, anyway. I just loot them all and don't look back.

Also, Pory, your sig is misspelled. It's "feral," not "ferral."

Jeff
8th August 2009, 12:45 PM
May 11th. Screw you and your "pretty much nobody".

In the version I posted to the site, "original" was emphasized. I think everyone was expecting apricorns, but not nearly as many were expecting the original balls to make a return due to compatibility issues.

That raises an interesting question, how exactly are they going to get around the compatibility problem? The best solution is that if Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum have some way to gracefully handle a pokemon's ball data that they deem to be "invalid", like having the ball sprite display as another ball, or not displaying the sprite at all. If the sprite would display as a jumbled display of pixels, then there would have to be something on the HG/SS end like a ball changer or something.

Poryhedron
9th August 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm just glad Apricorns are back. I never grow Berries, anyway. I just loot them all and don't look back.

Also, Pory, your sig is misspelled. It's "feral," not "ferral."

It's also capitalized. That should have been your hint that something's not what it seems.

Jeff, are we certain there is no data in DPPl for what a Heavy Ball looks like? There's data in there for what to display for where you met the pokémon if it was traded from HG/SS...

Jeff
10th August 2009, 01:00 PM
From what I've heard, hackers never found any GSC ball data despite finding the "from Johto" data. That's what led many people to believe that there would be GS remakes, but that they wouldn't include the original specialty balls. I for one thought that they would include apricorns, but Kurt would turn them into the modern balls, like how just about everyone still expects the Gold Berry, Miracle Berry, etc. to be replaced with the newer berries.

Jeff
15th August 2009, 02:07 PM
Latest news: HG/SS announced for North America and Europe.

They'll be released Spring 2010 and the English logos are on the site (http://209.123.162.177/~vash//tpm/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1250350528&archive=&start_from=&ucat=8&).

CadoAngelus
15th August 2009, 03:40 PM
i've been looking forward to a european release date for a while. now i'm happy

firepokemon
9th September 2009, 10:45 PM
Still no rom leak. Though its possible it comes today at some stage. The game is released in a day and a half.

So far the gyms look the same. Elsewhere this has people disappointed. Serebii exclusively released information. Seems legendary pokemon from 3rd generation are available as well as the legendary birds from FR/LR and D/P/PT. Also no Jirachi (but Japan had that event) and no Deoxys. It seems we are able to pick up a FR/LG starter and a Hoenn starter.

Snorlax can be seen outside Diglett's Cave at Level 50 and Red is in Silver Cave again. In terms of a difference. You need to defeat Monks before you reach Falkner's cave.

In terms of the Gyms. A player posting at 2ch is through to Jasmine. Rossymore posted the first few gyms on the site. To be honest I don't actually find it newsworthy enough to post and I'd sooner know more about the gyms. For instance the trainers inside those gyms etc.

But gym leader details.

Falkner: Level 9 Pidgey and Level 13 Pidgeotto. Reward is Roost.

Bugsy: Level 15 Metapod, Level 15 Kakunam and Level 17 Scyther holding a Sitrus Berry. Reward is U-Turn.

Whitney: Level 17 Clefairy and Level 19 Miltank holding a Lum Berry with the attacks; Attract, Stomp, Milk Drink and Rollout. The TM Attract is rewarded.

Morty: Level 21 Gastly, Level 21 Haunter, Level 23 Haunter and Level 25 Gengar holding a Sitrus Berry. Shadow Ball TM rewarded.

Chuck: Level 29 Primeape with Double Team, Leer, Rockslide and Surf. Level 31 Poliwrath with Hypnosis, Body Slam, Focus Punch and Surf holding a Sitrus Berry. TM Focus Punch rewarded.

Jasmine: Level 30 Magnemite, another Level 30 Magnemite and Level35 Steelix holding a Sitrus Berry. TM Iron Tail is rewarded.

Sources: 2ch. Pokebeach and Serebii.net.

---

I don't actually find Gymleader details that excited. I'd sooner know where the pokemon are etc. I hope to make the Gymleader page when I get hold of a game. Because I want more details than what is available and I don't want to rely on either of those three sites anyway.

Dark Scizor
10th September 2009, 05:48 PM
ROM hath been leaked.

firepokemon
10th September 2009, 06:38 PM
Indeed. But I've had every problem under the sun. My emulator wouldn't work. I downloaded and tried other emulators. My internet was slow, slow, slow. Turns out I experienced the black screen of death. Then I had more problems with the computer. Then at 5am in the morning. My partner gets upset at me staying up so late. Then this morning still having problems. But about five minutes ago finally it works.

Master Rudy
13th September 2009, 03:30 AM
That said, I had a feeling I was going to be disappointed by how Nintendo handled this issue, and I was very right. I am not a $@*&ing gardener and have no intention of being a $@*&ing gardener.

Damn it Jim! I'm a trainer not a gardener! :mad:
Sorry.....had to be said ^_^()

All in all I'm indifferent to the planting issue. Either way you got to run your ass around to collect them. Besides if your doing the planting you can stockpile the berries/apricorns your actually going to use ^_~

On another note here's something I know some of us were wondering about: the music.

Seems to me that most people tend to agree that RBY and GSC had the best music. RSE and DPP were ok in my mind but the music just didn't seem the same. Well someone went ahead and posted the whole soundtrack on You Tube. I only checked out three tracks since I'm currently on shitty dial up but from what I heard the new versions sound even better that they did in the FR/LG remakes.

-Johto Trainer Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NhE8Z9I0UM&feature=channel_page)
Done EXTREMELY well I think! Not much more to say past that.

-Kanto Trainer Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07-Rv5dtiYs&feature=channel_page)
Sounds much better than the version in FR/LG I think. Best part is the fact it's not the original half assed version from the original GSC. It's actually the full version with elements of that mix added in.

-Battle with Lance/Ash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCCxZ9SMABs&NR=1)
First off I still to this day refuse to call them Red/Blue. Dumbest fucking names in the world. What the hell was Nintendo thinking when they first made GSC? Still to this day don't understand why they couldn't use the names from the anime since they ARE in the default name lists of all the games :-/
In any case this was perhaps the best final battle music in the whole series. Despite the hardware of the time it just sounded great. Guess it's not hard to imagine the new version sounding much better.

As for the rest of the soundtrack just check out that person's profile on You Tube ^_~

Poryhedron
13th September 2009, 01:06 PM
Hrm...I hope that Johto Music is an orchestral remix of what we'll actually hear in the game, because as great as that music is, it spends far too much time in the wrong tone to be the BGM for a battle.

Master Rudy
13th September 2009, 11:30 PM
Hrm...I hope that Johto Music is an orchestral remix of what we'll actually hear in the game, because as great as that music is, it spends far too much time in the wrong tone to be the BGM for a battle.

Nope.....that's from the actual game so we should be getting the same exact thing. I personally liked it but to each their own.

Charles Legend
14th September 2009, 01:13 PM
Hehe in HG/SS you dont need the key to get Rotom's forms, all you have to do is take Rotom to the Silph Co's Elevator and it will power it, taking you to the room. ;)

~Charls Legend

hutchy
3rd November 2009, 07:07 AM
cool cant wait to get silver also if i rember correctly in goldenrod bill was there and gave you an eevee will he still be there? or will they change it and put him in the kanto region?
or will he even give you an eevee?

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
3rd November 2009, 11:02 AM
He still has an Eevee for you in Goldenrod City. But you have to meet him in Ecruteak City first. After talking to him he returns home to Goldenrod where you can pick up your Eevee.

Jeff
15th February 2010, 07:26 PM
Well, it's been a while since we've needed to use this thread, but here's something worth mentioning:

Many of us already know about this first one. Like in the Japanese versions, the two main characters will be getting new names. They will now be known as Ethan and Lyra.

The new bit of news is that, according to Serebii, the rival from RBY/FR/LG, who is the Viridian Gym leader in GSC/HG/SS, will still be known as Blue in the English games, ending speculation that his name would be changed to Green due to LeafGreen keeping its name in its English releases.