PDA

View Full Version : ~ May News

Roy Karrde
10th May 2009, 08:51 PM
I apologize for the wait, it would have been up on Friday but College Graduation interfered.

The RPG News: May Ed
Edited by: Roy Karrde

Welcome Crystal Tears! What does the election mean for the RPG Forum? by Roy Karrde
Letters to the Editor
Picture of the Month
Samchu Interview by Mew Master
Special Interview: Bear by Roy Karrde
RPG Game! by Roy Karrde

Welcome Crystal Tears! What does the election mean for the RPG Forum?
Roy Karrde

So a lot of things have been happening lately, and I am sure many of you are wondering, “What does Kalah leaving mean to the RPG forum?” Well the answer is actually quite simple, a lot will happen. And with the current state of the RPG forum I believe that is a very good thing.

To begin with, the RPG forum in the last few months has been running on around 2/3rds power in terms of mod duties. In fact it has been that way for about a year now. Now while that wasn’t much of a problem in concerns of security, it was a major problem when we wanted to get things done. For example Weasel and I taking turns doing RPG News each month can be somewhat taxing. Not to mention several ideas had to be put by the way side because we just did not have the manpower to carry it out.

That’s all going to change now, not only will Crystal be able to bring about her unique creativity to the mod position, but things that have been pushed aside because it would have overburdened already stressed two mods, will be looked at again. From RPG Awards to the RPG Tournament, nothing will be off the table this summer in things that can be brought to the RPG Forum.

We will all miss Kalah, but I believe that this is a opportunity to engage in ideas and opportunities that have been sorely lacking these last twelve months.

Letters to the Editor

Dear Uncle Roy,

Every RPG seems to be about vampires, anime and/or wolves. What so few RPGs on politicians and bureacracy, or doctors and nurses?

Yours fleetingly,

The Grand Provider

Dear Grand Provider,

I recently spoke about this in another RPG News, while I don’t believe a RPG about politicians would be entertaining, maybe a recreation of House or ER could possibly be, then again the creator would have to be well versed in all those wacky illnesses and diseases that happen once in a millennia.

If you think you can pull this off I would say go for it!

Roy

Picture of the Month
http://th04.deviantart.com/fs43/300W/i/2009/125/d/8/Darkness_Descends__Selene_by_Crystal_hime.jpg

Selene Raminas – Crystal Tears

Another image was sent to me, I am sorry I could not find it, if it is resent I promise to add it.

The PokéMasters Proudly Present…
Interview with an Art God
This month: Samchu

Hello believers, non believers, followers, and those of a different breed. I am ~DR, the ART GOD… with 6 followers. *head-desk* But, today is not about me, it is about someone else! Tis time to interview someone I know little about, and well, digging up dirt on them was a bit challenging, so, without further adeu. Samchu, come on doooooooown!!

~DR: *Summons them in a puff of smoke and sparkles* Welcome Mortal!
Samchu: Again with the smoke and sparkles. where's the originality?

~DR: Everyone's a critic... Okay Samchu, let's get down to buisness. How long have you been a member of TPM?
Samchu: That's a difficult question. 8 years maybe? It's however long I've known Crystal Tears. Maybe she knows.

~DR: What first brought you to the boards? Why?
Samchu: It's all Google's fault lol. It was during those days when Pokemon was one of the most exciting things going on for me so I stuck a few words in Google and TPM was the first link that came up. I threw myself into the Pokemon based RPGs and the odd final fantasy based one and things kinda took off from there.
~DR: So it was pretty much an accident?
Samchu: Yup. Best accident I ever had

~DR: What are some of your favorite Forums on the Boards?
Samchu: RPG and Fanfic, although I don't spend as much time in Fanfic as I'd like. Occassionally I stumble across a piece of work there that I like. Misc is usually good for a laugh but aside from that I odn't venture far from my home in RPG.
~DR: What's the appeal of them?
Samchu: RPG is appealing because of the challenge of roleplaying and because I've made so many good friends there. Fan fiction is good for gaining inspiration and also acts as a good medium for feedback when I actually feel inspired to put something on paper. Misc. usually has something that appeals to my lighter side so it's good for a pick-me-up.

~DR: You kind of answered it, but I'd like to see you expand upon it, but, why do YOU Role Play?
Samchu: Ah, so you meant the appeal of RPGs in general? Well I like being able to write alongside so many interesting people. I think great stories spawn from joint collaborations not just individual ventures. A nd as I mentioned before it's a challenge for me personally because I have to adapt my writing style to make it work with the storyline.

~DR: So you think that more is contributed through multiple authors? Is the story more important to you?
Samchu: I think different people interpret things in different ways and more often than not this is beneficial to an RPG, makes it less linear. The story isn't the most important thing but it needs to be interesting for people to stay involved. Although that said, if you're writing alongside a great group of RPers then it doesn't matter so much about the story being told because you'll be having so much fun with it.

~DR: What would you consider your top five Favorite RPGs that you have participated in?
Samchu: Oh lord that's a difficult one as there have been so many
~DR: Just try your best.
Samchu: However, I would have to consider the very first X-Pokes, the original Blood and Magic, and Pokebabies to be at the top of my list.

~DR: Any others that strike out in your mind?
Samchu: Not off the top of my head. At least none that I can remember the titles of, lol.

~DR: Fair 'nuff. What have been some of your own RPGs that you’ve started?
Samchu: Not many and nothing worth remembering so they've slipped my mind. Someone somewhere might remember but if they're wise then they would have forgotten by now.
~DR: Where they that bad?
Samchu: I think so. But then again, I am my own worst critic. I'm pretty sure none of them ever made it to the end.
~DR: But in the long run, how many RPGs actually make it to the end?
Samchu: That's true.

~DR: Who are some of the players/characters that you enjoy to RP with?
Samchu: Crystal Tears for one (we sorta grew up together on TPM), Drusie because her characters are always awesome, Eevee-Shayna for obvious reasons, Bulbie because I've looked up to her since I joined TPM (and because I still hope to surpass her in writing someday), Mystic_Clown...the list goes on really
~DR: Anyone else?
Samchu: Well, I guess I like role playing with you too on occasion, lol. (I know you were just feeling left out).
~DR: Actually I wasn't making a shameless plug for myself.. I hardly RP with you!
Samchu: Which is a shame! We must fix that.

~DR: Indeed we shall. What have been some of your favorite characters to RP?
Samchu: Mateo in Blood and Magic because he was such a prick, lol. And Garth before him because it was fun to play the tortured emo soul. Also, Cloud in Pokebabies but that was mostly because I was rping alongside Bulbie which meant a lot to me.
~DR: Just those three?
Samchu: Those are the only ones that really come to mind. I think I've only recently started rping as descent characters

~DR: What have been some of your favorite characters that are someone else’s?
Samchu: Almost every character CT's ever made because they've either been epic bitches or kicked my character in the balls at least once. Drusie's Sorcha, because she kicked ass. Dawn Edwards by Chobichibi. Those are some of the examples that really stick out in my mind.

~DR: What do you think are some of the problems in Role Playing?
Samchu: The fact that so many RPers are at the age where they're too busy to roleplay often. A lot of good rpgs are falling without getting very far or not even getting off the ground in the first place.
~DR: As opposed to young RPers who have yet to develop their writing skills past two sentences?
Samchu: I don't mind them so much. I used to be a lost little two-liner myself so I enjoy RPing with them and hoping that they will turn into great RPers someday who will be beneficial to the forum. Even so, I think their participation is dettered by the lack of time the more experience RPers can afford to dedicate to projects.
~DR: Would you like to see anything implimented for helping newer RPers to develop their creative writing skills if the Old Guard vanishes?
Samchu: I've been thinking about for a while but I've yet to come up with a really good idea. What they really need are good role models so I think the best we can do right now as veteran RPers is to keep writing, keep coming with RPG ideas and to basically just keep writing.

~DR: Anything else that you enjoy to do in your spare time besides Role Play?
Samchu: My friends have brainwashed me into buying an xbox so I've taken to playing that in my spare time. Mostly rockband and guitar hero to go along with my teaching myself the guitar (which is failing miserably). I'm also still working on my novel (which I may never finish lol).
~DR: Novel?
Samchu: Yup. It was inspired by the original X-Pokes and has undergone more re-writes than I can count. I would go into details but I they might change so it seems pointless at this point.
~DR: So how long have you been working on it?
Samchu: 5 years? and I think i'm on page....6

~DR: Well you better get to work it seems like. It’s been going around that improvements need to be made to TPM or it will truly die. What are three things that you suggest be done?
Samchu: We need greater outside exposure for one. Pokemon is still popular in the world we just need to make it easier for people to find us. Secondly, I think that we should try and interlink with other pokemon forums through affiliations. Third...I don't have a third. But I shall submit my ideas for consideraton if I have any.
~DR: I thought at one point we had an affiliation with Serribi.net. Although that may have been with the site more than the Forum.
Samchu: Probably.

~DR: Finally, if you ascended to God/Goddess-hood, would you destroy the world and start anew, let it continue on as is, or join a Pantheon with yours truly?
Samchu: I would make some changes to society. Equal things up for women and give gays a break. Whatever it took to do that I'd do it. Whether that meant joining a Pantheon with you or overthrowing you. That said, I might have a change of heart, let the power go to my head and start my own Pantheon of big-breasted Goddesses. Who knows?

~DR: Who knows indeed. Well, thanks Samchu for the time to take for the interview. Any words of advice to the internet, n00bs, or RPG?
Samchu: Keep writing! I owe so much in my life to TPM and if you keep working you'll find your own happiness too.

~DR: And as we say goodbye to Samchu (I'm sure you'll see her around), we end another interview leaving you with a bit more insight into those that make up the Forum. If you'd like to be interviewed, then please stop by Interview With an Art God (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/group.php?groupid=15) to sign up and arrange a time to be summoned.

Until then...

Later!

Roy: Just wanted to say thank you to MM, with out his great interviews, RPG News just wouldn’t be the same.

Special Interview: Bear
By Roy Karrde

Roy Karrde: What do you think of the recent mod election, and the leaving of Kalah

Bear: Well having been here with Kalah since the beginning, it certainly was a bit saddening to see her go. At the same time, having been through the same decision she made before, I could relate and I understood what she was thinking. Sooner or later we all have to hit the road, and it was just Kalah's time. But I bet you anything she'll be back someday, and perhaps sooner than we might thing >=)

Roy Karrde: Why did you come back to the RPG Forum? * We are glad to have you back btw *

Bear: Well, mostly because I had an idea just pop into my head one day, and I thought to myself "wow, that'd be great for an RPG!" One thing led to another and I hopped on my computer to take a look at the boards I had been absent from for almost 3 years. That was about a month before I really came back though, because an issue with my account prevented me from logging in for quite a while! My interest had been sparked though, so I was on a mission to make my comeback!

Roy Karrde: What is your favorite RPG

Bear: Gotta go wayyyy back for this, but I'd say my favorite is a tie between Dragonball VG and the Anime Wars.

Roy Karrde: If possible what was your favorite RPG Forum Post/Moment/Event

Bear: Oh I couldn't possibly pick one, there's been way too many. In the interest of providing the answer to the question, I'll give you this quote from Dragonball VG:

...and everyone stopped bickering with each other to go and look outside the ship. Flying next to them was a small pod, with a Namek inside angrily shaking his fist.
"Um, I think we forgot something..." Makura said.

Roy Karrde: Where would you like to see the RPG forum head in the future, ala more specific RPGs like RPG School, or more events like RPG Parties, etc.

Bear: Well personally I think I'd like to see more group participation in a few large RPGs instead of everyone being spread out over a bunch of small RPGs. I've seen a ton of new RPGs start in the last month or so, but participation in each case is relatively low. I'd like to see more RPGs with posts in the hundreds, like this forum used to see more frequently. RPGs that reached this most easily were School RPGs and Battle RPGs. I also think people should start experimenting with less used ideas. Who knows, maybe we'll stumble upon the next big RPG fad!

Roy Karrde: Are there any RPG Members you would wish to see come back?

Bear: I definitely would love to see World Collision return. His Anime War RPG was an amazing creation, and I wish he was around to do more sequels.

Roy Karrde: Any hints at future RPGs or RPG Characters you have in mind?

Bear: Hehe, well I'm working on a few potential ideas at the moment. My Normals re-release is temporarily on hold until I get my groove back. Currently I'm thinking of possibly an RPG based in Ancient Egypt, or a new idea I'm toying with called Dream Theater (no details, it's a seeeeeecret). I think the Egyptian one would be a fun escape from the usual Magic and Fantasy genre and allow a more realistic setting to be written.

I would like to thank Bear for the interview, when I first joined TPM, he and Kalah were the two role models I looked up to in the RPG forum, being able to interview him was a amazing experience.

RPG Game

Alright so each month, or every other month, or every other, other month, the RPG News is going to have a set of questions, those that PM their answers in, will be placed on the leader board according to the points they get. The points for each question will be lowered each week, with the answers posted the following month

Current Leader Board
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:

Questions
1: 10 Points: Who was the creator of Digimon: Digital Sensations
2: 10 Points: Who was the creator of Pokemon: Crystal Storm
3: 10 Points: Was “Those Who Dream at Sunrise” the name of the first RPG, or the name of the Sequal RPG.
4: 20 Points: What was the full name of Weasel Overlord’s character or one of Bulbasaur4’s characters in the RPG: Only a Fairy Tale.
5: 5 Points: What was the setting of either of the ASBRPGs.

You may use your memory, the search feature, or the Wayback Machine to find the answers to these questions. Good luck!

Asilynne
10th May 2009, 09:00 PM
3) THE SEQUAL <3333 lol

Mew Master
10th May 2009, 11:51 PM
And one more Interview down..... dozens more to go!

Weasel Overlord
11th May 2009, 06:21 AM
Woo, good ish Roy! *applauds*