PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Trends

PancaKe
22nd May 2009, 11:58 AM
I just wanted to vent about the stupid trend on Facebook to become a fan of things. Eugh. The things to become fans for are so stupid as well.

"Sasha became a fan of sleeping in for 5 minutes"
"Joel became a fan of lazy Saturday afternoons"
"Terrance became a fan of folding, not scrunching"

And whats worse is that these fan pages come up under your "people you might know" option. Like, seriously, just because 10 of my friends are fans of eftpos machines and visa cards does not mean that I want to be a fan of such a thing.

So, what trends annoy you? Current or past. Any trends, from gadgets to fashion to random :-)

mr_pikachu
22nd May 2009, 12:04 PM
Every fashion trend that has ever existed. People need to learn that a flashy logo doesn't make something "hip," "cool," or whatever. Neither does the "color of the season" -- it's hypocrisy to call Christmas commercialized until you've first seen past this blatantly obvious ploy.

A shirt is a shirt. Wear it because you like the design and the feel, not because Joe Blow, Inc. endorses it.

Jeff
22nd May 2009, 01:26 PM
The Facebook thing annoys me too. So many of them could easily be done as groups instead. Of course one more thing about Facebook that annoys me could be summed up in this quote from one of my old rants:

I'm not saying Facebook doesn't have spam too. In fact, Facebook's spam is worse because it comes from my own "friends", people who I (vaguely) know and thought I could trust. This spam of course, comes in the form of application invites. I come on Facebook from time to time to check my friend requests, but instead, all I find is that one of my so-called friends wants to hug me, punch me, turn me into a zombie, or join their brigade of ninja-pirates.

Blademaster
22nd May 2009, 03:04 PM
People that are younger than me or who act as such (especially when they're my age or older) typically annoy me because 9 times out of 10, they're complete wastes of good carbon with no salvageable qualities that do nothing but further contaminate the already stagnant human gene pool.

Don't believe me? Let's take a look at cinema and literature that are popular right now - TRENDS, if you will. Recently I saw on AIM that what's-his-face from Twilight is contracted to do at least three more movies.

That's right. THREE more. AT LEAST.

So, lemme see if I'm understanding this correctly:

Twilight, which was both a shit book and a shit movie, is getting a whole fricking saga made after less than half a year because 98.462% of its fanbase falls under the inane-female-fantard-that-only-likes-the-latest-Hollywood-heartthrob-and/or-vampires, which sadly numbers in the millions and thus ensures abundant profit...

The (blank) Movie series, despite getting shit review after shit review after WORST MOVIE OF ALL TIME review after shit review, is STILL churning out sequels after 10 years thanks to drooling morons with high-school-locker-room-level senses of humor and who think Family Guy and South Park are the best cartoons ever made...

Comic book movies, Hollywood's latest Unoriginality Crutch, are becoming exponentially more abundant and profitable despite more than half of them being mediocre, if not outright garbage. Dragonball bombed and it's already got a sequel script written. X-Men Origins was non-canonical cliched trash that even the comic book geeks hated, and yet it's managed to spur TWO spinoffs already because it's got lots of explosions...

And yet, predating all of that in 2008... There was Cloverfield. An original movie that received mixed but generally positive reviews, which I STILL haven't gotten even so much as CONFIRMATION of a sequel of!!!! FUCKING KIDS THESE DAYS!!!!!

Heald
22nd May 2009, 03:19 PM
The current trend of people having the misguided belief that Lady GaGa is actually good music.

Also, Blade, don't lump idiots in with people who like South Park. South Park is a quality program.

PNT510
22nd May 2009, 04:45 PM
And yet, predating all of that in 2008... There was Cloverfield. An original movie that received mixed but generally positive reviews, which I STILL haven't gotten even so much as CONFIRMATION of a sequel of!!!! FUCKING KIDS THESE DAYS!!!!!

I agree that Cloverfield rules but, this is where you lose. You complain about unoriginal films but then also complain that there isn't a sequel to another movie you like currently in development. The reason why comic book films aren't always great is because they keep exploiting them for profit instead of letting them be. Which is what they'd be doing if they made Cloverfield 2.

Also JJ Abrams has stated he'd like a second Cloverfield to be made, he just wants it to be something good and not something forced just because the first one was a hit.

MToolen
22nd May 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm not really a fan of popular music these days. I mean, I get that there's really two things you can shoot for--story and tone--and that this generation is choosing to get story out. But first off the stories are not always that great and second off you're losing tone! And what's worse, you're telling impressionable minds that that's good, that you could make money off of that. It'd be like telling a computer programmer to just start googling things if you could do that and make money.

I'll still listen to it for the story and occasional hook though (e.g., the chromatic slides in the melody in the Minature Tigers' "Cannibal Queen"), but I find so much more joy out of a Bach chorale than any rap song. There's buildup, tension, release, conclusions--there's a reason it's classic.

classy_cat18
22nd May 2009, 06:41 PM
*steps on podium* Ahem.

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS AND JONAS BROTHERS MUST DIE!

That is all. *walks away*

Blademaster
22nd May 2009, 08:33 PM
Also, Blade, don't lump idiots in with people who like South Park. South Park is a quality program.

Correction: South Park WAS a quality program.

Then it became R-rated Family Guy with Parker's and Stone's political agendas tacked on. The more new episodes I see, the more I just shake my head and wonder if they should have just ended it all at the movie...

I agree that Cloverfield rules but, this is where you lose. You complain about unoriginal films but then also complain that there isn't a sequel to another movie you like currently in development. The reason why comic book films aren't always great is because they keep exploiting them for profit instead of letting them be. Which is what they'd be doing if they made Cloverfield 2.

These are different scenarios and you know it, man.

Comic book movies, which was the least complainable example I listed, typically do a decent job of tying things up the first time or, rarely, the first 2 times. Spiderman should've ended at Spiderman 2. X-Men should've ended at X2: X-Men United. And I'm betting that when Shadow of the Bat comes out, people are going to boo it off the screen and wish that The Dark Knight was the finale.

Cloverfield was different in that it is not only a unique movie with a unique plot, relatable characters, a rare viewpoint, and an "antagonist" that's been unattempted for quite a long time, but also, it left a LOT unanswered. About the creature. About its mother. About the one girl of the cast that survived. About what Hammerdown did to New York and indeed, the rest of the country.

Surely there's a movie or two that was overshadowed by the mainstream that YOU got annoyed by because it received so little attention, wasn't there...?

Telume
22nd May 2009, 10:05 PM
Music these days is crap

The fact that my generation seems to be addicted to sex (GASP)

The fact that everything and anything at all that was good is now becoming complete and utter crap.

Example:

I used to go into the Winn Dixie here in my city (that's a chain of super markets for those of you unfamiliar with it) and I used to get a Pan con Croqueta (Ham Croquette Sandwich) that was kick ass.

I go in now and get one and it's a measly little morsel that doesn't even fill me up anymore. Is it me or is everything getting smaller and smaller?

PancaKe
23rd May 2009, 12:40 AM
I think those balero jackets (scuse the spelling) and that fashion trend is annoying.

Also the amount of 12 year olds obsessed with Edward Cullen fascinates me. It's amazing that we have a race so malleable that we can tell them a person will be the hottest guy out, then we show them an ugly horrendous guy, and they all believe him to be attractive.
^___^

mr_pikachu
23rd May 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not really a fan of popular music these days. I mean, I get that there's really two things you can shoot for--story and tone--and that this generation is choosing to get story out. But first off the stories are not always that great and second off you're losing tone! And what's worse, you're telling impressionable minds that that's good, that you could make money off of that. It'd be like telling a computer programmer to just start googling things if you could do that and make money.

I'll still listen to it for the story and occasional hook though (e.g., the chromatic slides in the melody in the Minature Tigers' "Cannibal Queen"), but I find so much more joy out of a Bach chorale than any rap song. There's buildup, tension, release, conclusions--there's a reason it's classic.

Amen, brother. It's good to see that some people in this world have some sense. There's been minimal decent music in the last three decades. Meh.

I agree with Telume's sex comment, too. It's scary to see the "average age of sexual activity" plummet. >_<

classy_cat18
23rd May 2009, 11:11 AM
Amen, brother. It's good to see that some people in this world have some sense. There's been minimal decent music in the last three decades. Meh.

Last three decades? Yes, I have to admit that a lot of music these days is...yeah, it's crap. And yes, rap has taken a nose dive recently. But what about the old days of rap and hip hop? When the lyrics were actually interesting? When it wasn't about bitches and money? The eighties and early nineties? Lil' Wayne and Lil' Whatever wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for these people.

...But yeah, about 95% of pop music is bleh. That's why I listen to J-rock despite what my relatives think.

Telume
23rd May 2009, 01:01 PM
Last three decades? Yes, I have to admit that a lot of music these days is...yeah, it's crap. And yes, rap has taken a nose dive recently. But what about the old days of rap and hip hop? When the lyrics were actually interesting? When it wasn't about bitches and money? The eighties and early nineties? Lil' Wayne and Lil' Whatever wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for these people.

...But yeah, about 95% of pop music is bleh. That's why I listen to J-rock despite what my relatives think.

This is probably why I listen to a lot of Video Game music, because it surprises me how amazingly some soundtracks are orchestrated

And it's probably the closest you'd get to Beethoven-era music.
Take for example: Final Fantasy 2 OST, the battle theme orchestrated = srs winnage

Then there's also the rock music I like: Metallica (old stuff mind you), Children of Bodom, Nightwish (pre-Annette Olzon), Stratovarius, hell I'll even take some Shinedown too.

And I even listen to some of the Vocaloid stuff.

Blademaster
23rd May 2009, 06:47 PM
This is probably why I listen to a lot of Video Game music, because it surprises me how amazingly some soundtracks are orchestrated

Preach it, man. Music nowadays is rarely much more than people having a legitimate excuse to act like assholes and maniacs. I've almost entirely given up on vocal music - gimme some video game music instead. Those notes may be short and simple, but fuck can they be expressive.

Don't believe me?

Tell me this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIVbuA1oo8E) is worse than most action movie music nowadays. That is, if you can even remember any decent action movie music - musicians seem to be being replaced by explosions in that genre.

Telume
23rd May 2009, 07:07 PM
Tell me this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVU9un_8RcA&feature=related)

Isn't awesome.

Compared it to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ARyAb_1Bs)

Houndoom_Lover
24th May 2009, 02:00 PM
You know what trend is annoying me? I have recently gotten back into neopets and poked by head into the roleplay boards, much to my dismay.

Who the hell cares about the next generation of teen titans- its just an excuses to her a whole buntcha mary sues and there guys in one room. It's no fun without canon characters...and if its that, its werewolfs and vampires and teen party. Lame. Just lame.

Drago
25th May 2009, 05:19 AM
Twilight - because people think that by jumping on a bandwagon and reading the book, it makes them distinguished.

PancaKe
25th May 2009, 08:49 AM
I am ashamed to say that I read Midnight Sun last night because I was THAT bored.

Beached as Bro - if you haven't seen teh youtube clip, go see it just to know what it is. But it's not even funny! Eugh. Who cares about a beached whale with a new zeland accent?!

gah

Houndoom_Lover
25th May 2009, 11:40 AM
Twlight- that's such a horrible book. They're odd shaped and ugly and collect finger prints. They'll never be in my library...or at least the good part of it. Have you read the interviews with the lad who plays Edward. It's SO funny.

Telume
25th May 2009, 02:57 PM
I don't get what the hype over Twilight is, really. I think Bram Stoker did a better job with Vampires than anything. Then again, even George Romero on a bad day could do a better job with Vampires.

And they're so damn overdone that at this point I would be surprised if ANYONE wasn't sick of seeing or playing them RP-wise.

... Except for the super fangirls.

classy_cat18
25th May 2009, 03:12 PM
I can't say anything about Twilight. Haven't read it, haven't watched it. But I follow both the anime and manga versions of Vampire Knight and I love it.

Another thing I don't like? Reality shows on MTV and VH1. Why would anyone go on national television and act a fool for someone that isn't even all that attractive? And then get dumped by that person pretty much the same day? And why would anyone want to be Paris Hilton's BFF? Do they want to be an idiot by association?

Houndoom_Lover
25th May 2009, 03:34 PM
I hate the fact that cartoon network is having reality shows. Or real people on the show-AT ALL.

It's cartoon network, for Christ's sake.

Telume
25th May 2009, 03:54 PM
I hate reality stuff period, and after the whole fiasco with American Idol (Kris Allen vs. Adam Lambert) I'd laugh my ass off if Idol lost most of its fan-base.

I like stuff like, Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters and of course I watch Anime. Because those are the only things on TV that doesn't involve crappy acting or making a fool of yourself on national television

Outlaw JT
30th May 2009, 08:41 AM
There are just too many to name so I'll just pick a few and speak briefly.

Popular music in general (not universally as there are a few exceptions in today's popular music that I find to be quality like 'The Killers').

Revival and excessive consumption of teen to early twenties dramas and their invasion in to nearly every genre of television while quality shows that actually kick ass continue to get canned early. The public listens so much to popular trend where television is concerned that absolute crap stays on the air for years and shows that are awesomely written and performed are lucky to make it all the way through a whole season because they don't cave to peer pressure. I swear to god why the hell do they revive shows like 90210 and Melrose Place and continue renewing all the crappy evening soap operas like them. Why can't they let shows that are well done stay on the air instead?!!!!

Lack of originality in Hollywood. I like a good sequel as much as the next guy but so few of them (at best 1 or 2 a year) are any good. Almost everything that comes out as a major release these days is a remake or a rehash or a sequel of things that have come before.

Hollywood continuing to convert crappy books into 'blockbuster' movies while a vast array of awesome literature across all genres continues to go untapped! Oh, and the butcherization of the few movies they do make from quality literary sources; where they take so much 'creative license' that it has almost no resemblance to the original work beyond a title and a few character names.

The continuation of the general trend in videogames of graphics over quality. Yes, I agree good graphics can be a vital component in improving the quality of a game but far too many games consider nothing but graphics leaving piss poor gameplay mechanics and story in place and untouched just because the designers are content with how pretty or shiny the graphics are turning out.

The vast influx of sequels to crap games while awesome games go forgotten and unremembered. Why can't we get sequels to awesomeness like Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, and my personal favorite action/adventure game of all time 'Shadows of the Colossus'?? Instead we keep getting crappy shooter sequel after crappy shooter sequel.

Houndoom_Lover
30th May 2009, 01:58 PM
The vast influx of sequels to crap games while awesome games go forgotten and unremembered. Why can't we get sequels to awesomeness like Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts, and my personal favorite action/adventure game of all time 'Shadows of the Colossus'?? Instead we keep getting crappy shooter sequel after crappy shooter sequel.

Amen.

Also, my favorite games serises getting rush job treatmeants. That can stop. That can stop right now.

Telume
30th May 2009, 02:28 PM
Shadow of Colussus is a prequel/sequel

It's a prequel because it tells the story several thousand (correct me if I'm wrong) years before the story of Ico and it's a sequel because it's basically the spiritual successor to the game.

But I think the rush job treatment kind of applies here to pokemon as well, considering how crappy the soundtrack and storyline (at least IMO) came out. At least that's what I think of Diamond and Pearl anyway.

Houndoom_Lover
30th May 2009, 03:08 PM
Aw, no! Shadow of Colussus is badass. I :heart: that game. Fulls me fulla epic.

Yeah >w< I'm still soggy sad about Mind Over Mutants. I wish they'd put more thought in the Pokemon games, still gotta catch 'em all!

Jeff
30th May 2009, 03:36 PM
But I think the rush job treatment kind of applies here to pokemon as well, considering how crappy the soundtrack and storyline (at least IMO) came out. At least that's what I think of Diamond and Pearl anyway.

Yeah, the DP storyline was almost a carbon copy of RS with different characters. I like how Emerald and Platinum expanded on it a little and went in different directions, but we shouldn't have to wait for the third version to get something with a little substance to it. Everyone's been talking about how if they are doing remakes of Gold and Silver, will we be seeing Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I think if this trend continues, we won't need them.

Telume
30th May 2009, 05:19 PM
Like I said before, what I'm most concerned with is the music. The music for D/P sucked big time.

But getting back on topic here. I think another annoying trend is how a lot of remakes are being half-assed. I HATED the Final Fantasy IV remake for the DS, they added Voice Acting and that kind of pissed me off. It takes out of the experience of the original game. I liked it when it was just text

I can understand updating to 3D to take advantage of the engine on the DS, that's fine but geez Voice Overs? No thanks, I like just plain text, like FF3DS

Mostly because a lot of the times the actors they hire TRY too hard to sound good and end up overdoing it enough to make the dialogue sound really cheesy or stupid, sometimes I listen to the acting they do on remakes and cringe because it sounds so bad.

:/

Blademaster
30th May 2009, 06:42 PM

For what it's worth, at least one of your wishes is being granted. (http://kotaku.com/5011404/ubisoft-officially-announces-beyond-good--evil-2)

Magmar
6th June 2009, 09:31 AM
WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS!!!!

The unemployment trend in Rhode Island. Seriously, approaching 12%. We're all cut-throat to keep our jobs. This is not cool. It's actually really scary.

People who act like they're gonna buy furniture then say "I'll call you back with my credit card number and you can place the order" and NEVER DO but keep saying tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.

Oh and... coffee having grinds in it... what happened to a quality cup o joe?

Telume
17th June 2009, 01:54 AM
More dangerous than annoying but:

The rising amount of robberies here in Miami. And it looks like it's worse here than in most places but, I can't really speak for those areas since I've never lived in them.

Actually freaks me the hell out to even be out on the street at night, and I kind of have no choice on Tuesdays since I have a night class in my college.

DarkestLight
17th June 2009, 06:18 AM
Its stating to rise in NYC too Telume. Ironically, its happening in "better" neighborhoods. Guess Harlem still has some rep. We'll stick to our shootouts, thanks.

Whats pissing me off is MEN WEARING TIGHT ASS JEANS! Now they sell them shits everywhere and its HARD to find pairs that fit loosely, and I don't mean baggy as in falling off your ass. Just a pair with some space to breath. Fugg Lupe Fiasco and Fugg Kanye West for starting that bow-legged minstrel shit ><!!!

Telume
17th June 2009, 11:56 AM
Ironically, I think we have one of the most dangerous areas in the US. It's called Overtown and if you walk 2 blocks from my college campus, you're basically on the outskirts of it.

Shootouts happen there every night, and one of the paperboys that used to do that area says that you have to be black to do it and that he saw a dead body in that area.

Not only that but, you better have extra newspapers because if a druglord comes up to you he's going to ask you for a newspaper.

There's a lot of rumors about that area and it's not surprising that it's the highest paying paper route of all the ones that are done.

PancaKe
17th June 2009, 09:15 PM
Work is always annoying.
I doubt that's much of a trend though.

The trend in stories in the news , in AUstralia, about mob gangs and biker gangs. Everyone is sick to death of hearing about it.

Little_Pikachu
18th June 2009, 02:00 AM
I think Facebook itself is an annoying trend. Social Networking on the Internet was sooo 10 years ago, back then it was actually cool if you found someone online from your own country (for the English anyway, as the online world was just full of Americans), and my God, if you actually found someone from your own city... it was like... o_O;;; O...M...G...!!!!!!

Yeah, I am on Facebook, but only because one of my school friends now lives in Australia and it's nice to keep in touch with her, but then loads of people started adding me, like my old School friends who I haven't kept in touch with. God damn, if I haven't spoken to you in 10 years there's a very good reason for that, I simply do not want to!!! What makes you suddenly think I care about you now??
[/rant]

Dark-San
18th June 2009, 03:02 AM
The number one reason why I left my facebook account stagnant for quite sometime. I still have no idea why people would be so obsessed with Twitter and Facebook. =0

Telume
18th June 2009, 11:34 AM
I don't even have a Facebook account or a MySpace account or ANY of those social networking sites. I find them totally pointless. If you have something to say either Text me, call me or say it to my face.

DarkestLight
18th June 2009, 07:34 PM
<< >> *Needs Facebook. Shoots up right now actually:: n_n Ahhh silly photos of me from other people.

That and people can never get ahold of me, lol.

About Overtown-hellz no. Highest paid or not, that's bonkers. Biking through with a Bulletproof vest and an aircannon. Fugg throwing papers, I'm blasting you with one.

Blademaster
18th June 2009, 11:21 PM
^Film it and put it on Youtube plz.

DarkestLight
19th June 2009, 05:02 PM
I would too. I just need to get hire by them

(note: its a shame when you know you can get a bulletproof vest AND an air cannon faster than you can get a job going down a paper route...)

Blademaster
19th June 2009, 05:41 PM
It's not a shame, Darkly. It's just how life is...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Soul_of_the_Phoenix/nigoomba.png

In the ghetto.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
20th June 2009, 06:19 AM
Complaining is an annoying trend too:)

DarkestLight
20th June 2009, 11:50 AM
*smells sarcasm*
*also smells arrogance*

*eliminates odors with Frebreze*

Also XD@ that damn Flash. "love this shit" XD

MeLoVeGhOsTs