PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

Telume
1st June 2009, 12:33 AM
I was talking to Jeff and I came up with 2 things.

1. I got this idea from the speed run posts in the Classic Gen. Forum.

Why can't we have some kind of speed run contest on TPM? We can have users document their run on Youtube and choose a winner based on the time obviously. We can also have speed runs for all games Gen III and below.

2. Video Walkthroughs

I hear TPM was king with Walkthroughs back in the day, so why can't we do this? I'm pretty sure we can set the parts up on Youtube as well?

What do you guys think? Also if you agree this is a sign up thread as well.

Blademaster
1st June 2009, 12:38 AM
Would the use of ROM's be legal? For those of us without video cameras or capture cards, I mean.

Telume
1st June 2009, 12:45 AM
Hmmm... well I was deliberating that, but if you have no other option then that's viable.
There's really no difference between the workings of the cartridge and ROMs.

Heald
1st June 2009, 05:19 AM
As long as you own the game, ROMs are legal, I think, although you're not allowed to provide links to any working downloads.

firepokemon
1st June 2009, 05:26 AM
1. It isn't something that I can foresee being run when the site is first up. It would be something that could be done once we have enough users frequenting the site. How long that takes is questionable.

2. Video walkthrus have already been done by others. That doesn't mean we can't do them. But video walkthrus wouldn't replace the old-fashioned walkthrus nor should they. They would also need to be done well. Personally, I find them a bit gimmicky but I'm not anti them either.

Telume
1st June 2009, 12:39 PM
1. That's what I meant.

2. We could have the video walk-through backed up by a text one of course, there are people who prefer text and there are those that prefer seeing it done for themselves, we can cater to both.

And to answer Heald:

Yeah, the idea isn't to provide a working link though, it's just to provide the actual video.

Ultimate Charizard
1st June 2009, 12:54 PM
One thing id consider is some sort of Map for the walkthrough.

Theres nothing i hate more than scrolling through masses of text to find where i can find a certain TM or whatever.

Perhaps clicking the Walkthrough Link would lead to a choice of multiple versions of the map. One showing items and Tm's etc, the other showing what pokemon are in the area and the other dealing with battles along that route/in that town.

In my experience thats generally what i check walkthroughs/websites for. Where i can find something or how i can beat it. Maybe not even as a full sized map but as specific portions of maps (ie route maps etc) so there isnt too much info squeezed into such a small space.

PancaKe
2nd June 2009, 03:50 PM
Video walkthrough sounds like a lot of effort. We should just focus on detailed good quality picture walkthrus for all games. That seems more useful.

And perhaps videos for hard parts of the games, such as those stupid ice gym challenges that make you skate all around before you get to the gym leader etc. You know what I mean.

West Mews
4th June 2009, 03:37 AM
There are already hundreds of YouTube videos out there showing you how to complete certain tasks.

How about employing some of that creative energy you geniuses are hoarding and stop ripping off ideas from various websites. If you can't think of at least something unique to place onto the website, I'd seriously question why you're even thinking of reviving this website for Kevin.

Ask yourselves: What is so new and scintillating about this website that will keep my visitors craving for more? And why should my visitors come here as opposed to SPP/Smogon/BMG?

Seriously, think about it for a moment.

Blademaster
4th June 2009, 09:15 AM
Oh hey again Jay. Got yourself another account, I see.

Houndoom_Lover
4th June 2009, 04:48 PM
Seriously, think about hanging yourself, West Mews.

:3 That was mean. But when will I EVER get a chance to say that again?

Alright- I like the speed run through. I love watching those things, personally. As with walkthroughs, that sounds a tad tedious, but if we seperated them into chapters. Like Mission one, Gym One, and maps on where to find what pokemon.

Those are always handy.

Epic battles always boost da ratings too. Tape those ledgendaries!

PancaKe
4th June 2009, 05:35 PM
There are already hundreds of YouTube videos out there showing you how to complete certain tasks.

How about employing some of that creative energy you geniuses are hoarding and stop ripping off ideas from various websites. If you can't think of at least something unique to place onto the website, I'd seriously question why you're even thinking of reviving this website for Kevin.

Ask yourselves: What is so new and scintillating about this website that will keep my visitors craving for more? And why should my visitors come here as opposed to SPP/Smogon/BMG?

Seriously, think about it for a moment.

He has a point.

But I'm curious to also hear what you think, Jay. Surely you must have some suggestions and not just flaming?

Telume
4th June 2009, 10:57 PM
Seriously, think about hanging yourself, West Mews.

:3 That was mean. But when will I EVER get a chance to say that again?

Alright- I like the speed run through. I love watching those things, personally. As with walkthroughs, that sounds a tad tedious, but if we seperated them into chapters. Like Mission one, Gym One, and maps on where to find what pokemon.

Those are always handy.

Epic battles always boost da ratings too. Tape those ledgendaries!

Well that's the idea, YouTube doesn't allow videos over 10 minutes and we can put videos on our WebServer unless we expect to be paying extra for the download costs. (Bandwidth is rather limited you know.)

And once again Jay's view is limited to the idea that we want to compete when we're not even thinking of that. Jeff has told me this quite a few times really.

Jeff
4th June 2009, 11:46 PM
There's no reason to consider Jay's opinion if he can't even understand our motivation.

Now let's get back on topic.

I'm with fp on this one. Traditional style walkthroughs are the best way to go, but videos could be useful for the trickier parts. The speedrun thing would be good, but it's best holding off on that one until we get some more members.

Edit: Even though we might not need it yet, I figured it'd be a good idea to snatch up the username PokeMastersNet (http://www.youtube.com/user/PokeMastersNet). (ThePokeMasters and PokeMasters were both taken :()

PancaKe
5th June 2009, 09:42 AM
who took pokemasters? :( How rude

Heald
5th June 2009, 10:57 AM
Don't we already have pokemasters.net? By virtue of these forums being hosted on it?

Phoenixsong
5th June 2009, 11:08 AM
YouTube username, Heald, not domain name. :)

Heald
5th June 2009, 11:40 AM
Whoops. There goes me reading the last sentence of a post and replying based solely on it again.

Houndoom_Lover
5th June 2009, 12:18 PM
Some one snatched the name! Gasp! Time to go murdering :3

Yeah, I like the use of videos for the harder stuff. And maybe poke glintches. I'm not afraid to get down and dirty with my cartiage.

Bacterial Vaginosis
6th June 2009, 06:24 AM
You guys are unbelievably stubborn.

Video walkthroughs or demonstrations are pointless because there are already hundreds of them on YouTube. What an incredible waste of time should you end up going through with it, which you probably will. :rolleyes:

Does PMK or Chris even know this so-called project is still going ahead? It'd be hilarious if they didn't, even though it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Blademaster
6th June 2009, 10:54 AM
You guys are unbelievably stubborn.

https://www.gigibeauty.com/images/ANNIE/MIRRORS/tv%20mirror.jpg

Houndoom_Lover
6th June 2009, 11:53 AM
Hahaha- but that's a great username. And good rebuttle, Blady-Blade. This is fun! What else can we think up?

Telume
6th June 2009, 02:39 PM
Well I already gave my two cents, anyone else have any ideas?