PDA

View Full Version : Kids TV

PancaKe
2nd June 2009, 04:01 PM
Australians will remember children's cartoon shows such as Agros Cartoon Connection and Cheez TV. Classic television for any australian kid growing up in the 90's. And ultimately, this is my dream job.

For those other people in the world who didn't have the quality Australian television (coughcough) that we had, these are shows where there are two hosts who run short segments in between cartoons, often showing fanmail and kids drawings of cartoons that were sent in, interviewing fun people like from charities and going to fun things, like pokemon conventions etc...

So my questions are:

What do other countries have? What kind of kids television shows, and what kinds of segments and cooky things do they actually do?

And if your australian, what are some of your fondest memories of these shows?

And for everyone: What were your favourite cartoons when you were growing up? those with the biggest impact on you? :-)

Ultimate Charizard
2nd June 2009, 09:01 PM
Geez...i grew up with.....

Wacaday (ITV), Going Live, Live and Kicking (BBC), Kat TV, Fun Factory (SKY1)

Theres probably more but it was essentially 8am to 11am of random programs, some part of a larger show which were shown in 2 parts with maybe 10/15min gaps between and some independant before or after.
Others were the 'Heres a show...right thats done, heres 5 min of filler sketch...and heres another show'

Shows included - Transformers, Mask, Gobots, Jace and the Wheeled Warriors, Dino Riders, Thundercats, Centurions, Visionaries, Pole Position......all classic 80's toons that i now cry at when i watch them these days remembering how much i loved them.

And yeah there were plenty of dodgy 'mascots' like Gordon the Gopher. Loved that sock puppet.

Crazy Elf Boy
2nd June 2009, 09:12 PM
I think I remember Agro's cartoon line up but I might have been like 3 at the time. The ones I do remember and miss with a passion are Cheez T.V with Jade and Ryan (Toasted TV is just no substitute) my other favourite was the Saturday morning show on Seven, I can't remember what it was called, but it is still going but the newer version isn't as good as the old version.

classy_cat18
2nd June 2009, 09:22 PM
I remember classic Cartoon Network. Wacky Races in the morning, Thundercats in the afternoon, and the Bugs and Daffy Show in the evening. And if I stay up long enough, Speed Racer. Thing is that I didn't have access to that channel a lot of the time, so that was when I was visiting Dad in the summer.

Oh, the days when Saturday mornings were something to look forward to. Reboot, Sonic the Hedgehog (the good one), and Schoolhouse Rock.

Ultimate Charizard
2nd June 2009, 09:30 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog (the good one)

Which one lol, there were 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, which was more Hanna Barbera humour with Acme weights etc. The One with Sally etc where they all were part of a resistance movement or Sonic Underground where Sonic had a Brother and Sister and they solved problems by being in a bad or some crap?

classy_cat18
2nd June 2009, 11:44 PM
The second one. That one was the only good one in my opinion.

Blademaster
3rd June 2009, 12:33 AM
quality Australian television

Sonic the Hedgehog (the good one)

Which one lol, there were 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, which was more Hanna Barbera humour with Acme weights etc. The One with Sally etc where they all were part of a resistance movement or Sonic Underground

OK, Heald, seriously, I know you said to keep the random out of Misc., but this thread has GOT to be an exception. :(

The_Missing_Link
3rd June 2009, 12:57 AM
IMO, kids shows were fantastic during the 90s and early 2000s (which was incidentally when I grew up but if you look back at it, a lot of the shows still hold up)

You had Nickelodeon in the early and mid 90s with classic cartoons like Ren and Stimpy, and Rocko's Modern Life, awesome game shows like What Would You Do?, Double Dare (and not that shitty version "2000"), GUTS, Wild and Crazy Kids, and Nick Arcade, and decent live action stuff like Hey Dude and Salute Your Shorts. Then it all went to hell cause a network can't be awesome forever

ABC/Disney had its "One Saturday Morning" lineup with Recess, Fillmore, Pepper Ann, and whatever else was in there. Then unfortunately they did away with that and started showing crap

And of course you can't forget Fox's much loved but short lived Saturday morning and weekday afternoon shows. The only shows I can remember are Metabots and Beast Wars (Beast Machines could suck it) but for a time, I spent my Saturday morning switching between ABC and Fox. It was glorious

classy_cat18
3rd June 2009, 01:05 AM
How could I forget Salute Your Shorts?

We run and jump and swim and play
We row and go on trips
But the thing that last forever
Are our dear friendships!

Great, now that song's going to be stuck in my head all night.

And yes, Beast Machines can so suck it. Dinobot rocked.

The_Missing_Link
3rd June 2009, 01:25 AM
Dinobot was a total badass. I was bummed when he was killed off and then sacrificed himself again in a whole new body

Roy Karrde
3rd June 2009, 01:32 AM
For me Saturday Morning was purely ABC, from School House Rock, to The Real Ghostbusters, ABC in the Late 80s was the place to be. The New Kids on the Block doing commercials, the awesomeness of Real Ghostbusters with other shows like Beetlejuice, and Pirates of Dark Water near the time block.

Slowly ABC lost its dominance, and everyone moved to Disney Afternoons during the week, with powerhouses like Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Tail Spin, and Bonkers. With Saturday Mornings being taken up by Fox Kids with Animaniacs, Batman The Animated Series, and other classics.

I think the only one out of those three that really had any type of "Cutsie Character Representatives" would be ABC having New Kids on the Block film the "And we will be Right Back!" stuff.

PancaKe
3rd June 2009, 01:55 AM
:rolleyes:

Hey, Kirby, got a problem with me or something?

Back on topic.

Aw all those cartoons mentioned make me so nostalgic. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Captain Planet yet. That seriously won me over for so many years.

I was a big fan of:
- Captain Planet
- Pokemon
- Dragon Ball Z
- Digimon
- The Animals of Farthing Wood
- Angry Beavers
- Daria
- Bugs Bunny

and probalby more. Those ones really take me back.Like, I remember the Disney cartoon shows, but they never really did anything for me. Channel Seven always hosted those, so I tended to avoid that channel after they got rid of Agros Cartoon Connection and Scooby Doo. :(

Heald
3rd June 2009, 05:18 AM
Hey, the first Sonic rawked! That crazy Robotnik trying to kill Tails and Sonic with his stupid robots! It's inspired loads of Youtube parodies! :

WHY?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSNeL0QYfqo)
Flying Robotnik Act 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW8nKukq1IA)
Robotnik's New Game Boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1yneJSJx3E)

Knight of Time
3rd June 2009, 02:19 PM
Meh, for me, there were some Saturday morning cartoons I really liked, Sonic the Hedgehog (the SatAM version), The Smoggies, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (an anime that was narrated by Margot Kidder, anyone remember this?), and of course, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987), not too many superhero type shows where the main characters aren't human can beat this one.

Jeff
3rd June 2009, 02:55 PM
How could I forget Salute Your Shorts?

We run and jump and swim and play
We row and go on trips
But the thing that last forever
Are our dear friendships!

Oh yeah, there's a show that I hold dearly in my heart...
and when I think about it, it makes me wanna fart.

Anyone remember the '90s version of Land of the Lost? One episode that I remember off the top of my head from that was when they thought they were back home, but it was really an illusion.

Let's see what else. Older episodes of All That, Hey Arnold, Ahh Real Monsters, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy... well, pretty much anything that was on Nick in the '90s really.

DarkestLight
3rd June 2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone remember the '90s version of Land of the Lost? One episode that I remember off the top of my head from that was when they thought they were back home, but it was really an illusion.

YES!!!!! LAND OF THE FRICKIN LOST! THANK GOD SOMEONE MENTIONED IT!! LOVE THAT SHOW. WHY IT IS NOT ON DVD IS BEYOND ME! Frickin Tasha, cute lol Parasaurolophus. Fricking..what did they call the TRex x_x.. Was it Sharptooth? That illusion episode was so badass, when the Ol Rex comes running down their block. So cool. I REALLY miss that show.

That also brings me to the First Land Before Time. That rocked, yes it did, yep yep yep!

Man ok ya'll want nostaliga, Im a vertiable bank of it.

C_C: Yes! That's why I had to buy that DVD set of Sonic, I loved the Freedom fighters. Still colect the comics myself. I do also want the AoStH version (the Sonic and Tails stuff) Becasue they were both on on Saturday Mornings. SU sucked and well, I honestly haven't seen enough Sonix X to warrant a fair enough decision on it.

TML: HOW DARE YOU FORGET PETE AND PETE! Origami Blade episode!??!! Talking Tattoos?
ARTIE!!
THE STRONGET MANN!!
IN THE WORRRLD!!

My god! I want to watch that show again. I also wanted to be on Wild and Crazy Kids so bad (not only because the female host was hawt hawt hawt!) As well as Guts. I know I could have won all those events.

Also, Legends of the Hidden Temple was fun fun fun!!

What else. Oh

UC: Yes yer seriously only the third person I've met in my entire life that remembers Dino Riders. Specially since I have THE whole damn figurine collection of them :D

Now for mine.

David the Gnome! Best show about Gnomes. Ever. Great episodes, some actually scared me as a child.

Eureka's Castle was on par with Sesame Street.

Guilla Gulla Island :D! Maya the bee and umm well no Zoobilee Zoo wasn't on Nickelodeon, but yes!

I'll even go as far back as BIRRRRRRRRRRDMAN! with the Herculoids/Guardians of the Galaxy inserts :D Those were all so badass :D. Man that was when Toonami was frickin awesome and brung back Thundercats ;_; I cried tears of joy when that occurred.

X-men (Fox one) The one that usually ended saturday morning cartoon run on Fox and then WMAC masters LOL! Oh god that was awesome.

And I'll stop with Beakmans world! Yeah, I'ma close the nostalgia lid, for fear I'll go ga-ga and start naming off a billion more shows.

The_Missing_Link
3rd June 2009, 08:05 PM
I didn't mention Pete and Pete because I wasn't fond of it. It was one of the few Nick shows I didn't like

DarkestLight
3rd June 2009, 08:15 PM
Really? Aww man. Well That reminds me of Snick as well :D Are you Afraid of the Dark was always fun to watch.

Blademaster
4th June 2009, 09:10 AM
That one episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark with the invisible pool ghost gave me nightmares as a kid when they finally doused it with red stuff and it rose up out of the pool.

If you watched that show regularly, you know the episode I'm referring to. The fact that THAT VERY SCENE appeared in Snick preview commercials didn't help matters much either.

Drago
4th June 2009, 10:39 AM
For me, the scariest Are You Afraid episode would have to be the 'Tale of the Quicksilver', or whatever it was. This horrible ghost monster making children seriously ill and then coming out of the wall to get all up in your grill? Terrifying.
Full epi here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_vqgKOlTFQ), but for those of you who want to get right to the money shot, it's here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkplAIZUTc). Yeah, doesn't look like much now, but in your youth, that's some spooky crap.

classy_cat18
4th June 2009, 12:34 PM
C_C: Yes! That's why I had to buy that DVD set of Sonic, I loved the Freedom fighters. Still colect the comics myself. I do also want the AoStH version (the Sonic and Tails stuff) Becasue they were both on on Saturday Mornings. SU sucked and well, I honestly haven't seen enough Sonix X to warrant a fair enough decision on it.

Sonix X? Watch the Japanese version. Avoid the English version like the frickin' plague.

And the Freedom Fighters version had one of the best theme songs of any cartoon series I watched as a kid.

Also, Legends of the Hidden Temple was fun fun fun!!

Oh god, all the yelling I did to the TV when that was on. "DON'T GO THAT WAY! IT'S OVER THERE, STUPID! HURRY UP, DARN IT!"

And I liked the guest stars in Wild and Crazy Kids. 90's Arnold? Hell yeah!

David the Gnome! Best show about Gnomes. Ever. Great episodes, some actually scared me as a child.

I loved the fox that he rode! What was that fox's name? Swift?

X-men (Fox one) The one that usually ended saturday morning cartoon run on Fox and then WMAC masters LOL! Oh god that was awesome.

I regret getting bored with that show. A lot of drama for a kid's cartoon but that show was still awesome.

My favorite episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark would be the one about the people zoo. Not scary but still memorable. Oh, and the one that guest starred Tia and Tamera Mowry. The one about the chameleon. "Bit you once, bit you twice, a little water, pay the price."

DarkestLight
4th June 2009, 04:11 PM
HAHAHAA!! Yeah its name was Swift. I need that Show on DVD. Its not even funny.

And the SaTAM theme song? Yeah Its on my Ipod. Hell yes. One of these sickest theme songs ever.
Man Are you Afraid of the Dark was a awesome show. I can't even remember what my favorite one was, but that red gunk pool ghost one did freak me out also Blade.

Jeff
4th June 2009, 04:32 PM
It's Zardo! No "mister" accent on the "do"!

Oh man, that show was great. My sister was afraid of it, I still remember her running away whenever it came on.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th June 2009, 03:01 AM
I'll read the complete thread later, but now I just say anime selection sucks. Even Pokemon is currently taking a break, we have just Bakugan! No Yu-Gi-Oh, no Digimon, no Naruto, no Bleach, no Death Note, no Neon Genesis Evangelion nor Full Metal Alchemist. Of course most of those are more for, like, grown-up audience.

PancaKe
5th June 2009, 09:32 AM
Haha I remember watching Neon Genesis Evangelion when I was like, 13, on Adult Swim. I thought I was so cool at the time too. Then the ending happened and I was like, what? Did i just miss something?

Blademaster
5th June 2009, 09:52 AM
It's Zardo! No "mister" accent on the "do"!

"I am NOT a nutbag. >:["

Weasel Overlord
5th June 2009, 10:25 AM
Representin' for the British 90s tv! SMTV Live! OH YEAH! I used to watch that eeeevery Saturday morning. :D It haaad Pokemon, Recess, urm, Timon and Pumbaa (possibly), Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and not to mention all the silly things they used to do in between the shows, liiiiike Poke-battles, lol. Class.

Oh yes, also, because I was a weirdo child, I was also obsessed with Zena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. And not to mention all the misc sci-fi I used to watch too, but those aren't the point I guess. I'd get up at about 6am every Sunday morning to watch Sonic, too. Although I can't remember for the life in me which version it was.

Misc other stuff: Animals of Farthing Wood, Crystal Maze, Dangermouse, Robot Wars (does this count as kids tv? lol), and then tons of others I can't remember the names of.

RE: Are You Afraid of the Dark - I saw one frigging episode of that - the one with the vampire version of Sleeping Beauty? And it gave me nightmares for MONTHS after. Brr, I can still remember that now, and it still gives me the creeps. ><

Sonic: I just listened to the theme tunes for Sonic Underground and the SatAM one and I think I used to watch the SatAM one, cos the whole Underground thing does NOT ring any bells (plus it looks totally lame, lol). What was the third one called??

Heald
5th June 2009, 11:01 AM
Animals of Farthing Wood, Crystal Maze
Holy crap! I remember these two! Animals of Farthing Wood rawked! I wouldn't class Crystal Maze as a kid's show, I just remember how awesome it looked. I wish I could have gone in the Crystal Dome though!

Sonic: I just listened to the theme tunes for Sonic Underground and the SatAM one and I think I used to watch the SatAM one, cos the whole Underground thing does NOT ring any bells (plus it looks totally lame, lol). What was the third one called??
The original Sonic cartoon was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, which was a Looney Tunes-esque cartoon that featured short stories of Robotnik thinking of some new way of capturing Sonic by using some Elmer Fudd-esque badniks to catch him, and Sonic would use Bugs Bunny-esque tactics of escaping them, plus Tails was often involved. Watch some old episodes, it's pretty funny. Robotnik is portrayed brilliantly, and there are some Ren and Stimpy-esque ancillary characters.

SatAM was the one afterwards that was darker, more like a cartoon with an actual continuity and is considered to be the 'good' one. Sonic Underground was really crap and wasn't shown in the UK originally, although now runs on some really crap satellite channels. Sonic X is the really crap anime.

Ultimate Charizard
5th June 2009, 04:57 PM
I always wanted to see who would win in a race between Sonic and Cheetara ;)

DarkestLight
5th June 2009, 10:36 PM
CHEETARA <3.<3 !!!!

::Has to calm his Thundarian love down::

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th June 2009, 11:09 PM
POKEMON
I like Pokemon. Have always liked.

Disney
Well here's some average stuff. While we had those cool ones like Darkwing Duck which I never learnt to translate from English to Finnish we also had those awful time-consumers like Ducktales, Kahjokatti and perhaps Goofy's Troop. Well I liked them all as a kid but now I don't.

POKEMON
I used to tape all the eppies.

Warner Bros
I liked Wile E. Coyote and Daffy Duck. Tiny Toons was cool as well. Nowadays they all seem so violent though.

POKEMON
Mistyi WAS super sexy, because she was the first anime girl I noticed, but now Dawn PWNS HER!!!1! Caps Lock Off.

Biker Mice From Mars
I always get a headache when I watch this. Don't know why.

POKEMON
One word: Awesome.

The Wonderful Adventures of Nils
A tale by a Swedish writer Selma Lagerlöf. We had it in Finnish, but the original German voice acting was heard as well in the background. I loved this cartoon. My favourite episode was probably Führling Im Lappland (sp?) where the geese were chasing after brides. Smirre got a happy ending too.

POKEMON
They censored the seizure ep. And four other Kanto eppies plus the whole Orange League. Nuff said.

Pinoccio
Another German animation. Was a bit scary, gives me the greeps for some odd reason.

POKEMON
Never read the manga except for a few glances, but the anime is the best. No other trademark has affected me as much as Pokemon.

Blinky Bill
Something from Australia. I like Andrew, Crazy Elf Boy, Gavin Luper, Last Exile, shazza, and others more. But, Lady Kasasagi was the best.

POKEMON
How good can an anime based on a game be? Check out Battle for the Badge, Princess VS Princess or Holy Matrimony! to find out.

Alfred J. Kvak
A strange one. Hitlerism is one word.

POKEMON
I hated only the Kangaskhan ep. The most awful Pokemon episode ever. Hoenn was overrated though.

Captain Planet
Watched some from a tape.

POKEMON
I still translate the previews from Japanese to English. Now Ash is going to battle Paul wow!

Pikku Kakkonen
A Finnish show including various children programs. Of a great variety, ranging from Ling XIAOYU Zhou Tang to Nukkumatti (now this guy's a communist!).

POKEMON
Blastoise used Hydro Pump!

Richard Scarry
Varo Vaaraa! Beware! Funny songs and nice drawing style hid an interesting cartoon.

POKEMON
It's Super Effective!

Flinstones
Meet them! Kinda cool actually.

POKEMON
Yeh.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles
A bit cool, but somehow the idea gets out hands. And why there's no blood although they battle with ancient Japan weapons?

POKEMON
Why there's no blood although they fight with claws and stuff. Well let's have a look at Tekken. It isn't blood but a special effect anyway. A special effect.

The Smurfs
This decent cartoon made a flop here in Finland by copying pop music. Stupid in my opinion.

POKEMON
This decent cartoon made a flop here in Finland by doing hidden advertising. Screw you, parents! Every show advertises itself!!

Tintin
The best Belgian animation ever. Based on a comic book series by Herge. Dupond et Dupont kicked ass. SANOISIN SUORASTAAN!

POKEMON
Why can't I watch this auf Deutch anymore?!?

Karvakorvat
A dubbed program filmed in Korkeasaari zoo. Nice as long as it lasted. But Babylon isn't pronounced as in the word 'baby'.

POKEMON
Are there any animes cooler than this?

Iltalypsy
Perhaps South Park and The Simpsons should be there as well, but this caught most of my attention with its flying cow. That is, a cool political satire.

POKEMON
If you don't like Pokemon, I'll make you say you like.

Kippurahännän Kertomuksia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGF6P_Xj80)
One of my favourite shows. Had a cool duck as a character. Mallard is still one of my favourite animals. The intro rocked as well.

POKEMON
Once more. Awesome.

Dragonball Z
Well I just can't watch it. It's giving me seizures or something. I like it a lot more as a manga.

POKEMON
Well I just can't help watching it.

Digimon
The first Digimon eppie I ever taped was in Finnish and it had Ancrystamon and Metalseadramon. Not sure about spelling here, as well as in other places.

POKEMON
G-ya-ra-do-su.

Sailor Moon
I still like it. Although a new transform animation in every ep would be good.

POKEMON
Finally I got rid if this analyzing of bad animations and can focus on some real stuff. So, without further stupid comments...SHUT UP ALREADY FREAKING MIKACHU!!!!1!!!

Maybe will add more later.

DarkestLight
5th June 2009, 11:30 PM
Warner Bros
I liked Wile E. Coyote and Daffy Duck. Tiny Toons was cool as well. Nowadays they all seem so violent though.

Yes! Wil. E Coyote was the man. I loved RoadRunner. Loved...is the wrong word. LOVE fits so much better there...

Biker Mice From Mars

O gfod this show, what the hell were they thinking!

Blinky Bill
Something from Australia. I like Andrew, Crazy Elf Boy, Gavin Luper, Last Exile, shazza, and others more. But, Lady Kasasagi was the best.

HAHAHAHHA This came on right before Sailor Moon XD! 6 in the morning! And yet I loved it.

Richard Scarry
Varo Vaaraa! Beware! Funny songs and nice drawing style hid an interesting cartoon.

Wow!!! The cat and the worm and their town! I remember this on Nick Jr. Man Nick Jr was the shit. For like 12 years it reigned.

Sailor Moon
I still like it. Although a new transform animation in every ep would be good.

Sailor Moon was fantastic as a Junior High Schooler. I still love the show and I want the EnglishDub of teh first two seasons only. That's what I grew up on and that had Unbelieveably horrid cuts(as I own the whole series now in Japanese) but Man! MAN! LOVED THIS SHOW. My mom loved this show.

!!

Weasel Overlord
6th June 2009, 05:38 AM
Biker Mice From Mars

I LOVED THIS SHOW!! :D:D Also: Tintin. ♥