PDA

View Full Version : Discuss Copyright

Mikachu Yukitatsu
3rd June 2009, 05:35 AM
If this belongs to FanFic or FanArt, move it. If not, read forward.

So you can't download the stuff on Youtube? You aren't allowed to put a song into a video because you don't have the rights, are you? Heck, you can't even write a Fanfic or draw Pokemon!

I got this idea from some news. Here in Finland, we have a political Pirate Party waiting for approval. I like the idea! They focus on copyright issues, privacy, and word freedom.

Of course their purpose can be argued. Shouldn't these guys concentrate on repeling the greenhouse phenomenon, globalization, helping developing countries or perhaps spreading communism? Instead of fingering some stupid copyright laws.

Tell your opinion, please.

Blademaster
3rd June 2009, 07:45 AM
Discuss Copyright

Copyright fucking sucks.

</thread>

Seriously, everywhere these days, copyright is a fucking joke. I can understand getting pissed and suing when someone Copy+Pastes your work and tries to sell it without you getting a thing out of it, but when I can't even upload a drawing of an ORIGINAL DBZ CHARACTER on dA without writing copyright credit to Akira Toriyama, or else the submission gets taken down... That pisses me off a little.

MToolen
3rd June 2009, 10:15 AM
I mean, the intentions aren't bad; they were meant to uphold the rights of those individuals with intellectual property. The problem is that, when those properties are sold to, oh, let's say large monopolizing organizations who have the ability not only to protect the property but eradicate any threat to it. Whereas copyright was meant to be a fallout shelter, the current use for it is a nuke.

I believe that nonprofit uses of intellectual material (especially those done with quality and respect) should be fine in the public sector. So I draw a Pokéball. As long as I don't sell it to you, what difference does it make?

Houndoom_Lover
3rd June 2009, 12:28 PM
It's getting to a point where every peice of Pop Art has to be bagged and tagged. It's outragous.

Did Andy Warhol have to ask all those people he did art of? No. It was free advertising then. If people are writting stuff about the stuff that's copyrighted, that should be more of a complement than a chance to sue.

But stupid people shouldn't try to rip off the hardworking awesome by trying to re-sell their crap. One idiot ruins it for us all- thus, we have copyrights.

Heald
3rd June 2009, 01:10 PM
People deserve to be given credit for work they have produced, and if people are profiting from their work, they deserve a slice of the pie.

However, this seemingly benevolent notion is a far cry from reality, where on one hand, millions of internet users think they have the right to download anything they want, and on the other hand, the industries most affected by piracy invent hyperbolic figures about the scale of piracy and its effects and thinking slapping students with multi-million dollar lawsuits for downloading a few songs is a 'proportional response'.

Those are the two sides of a very hairy coin, and unfortunately, it doesn't look like changing, due to neither side wishing to enter the middle ground, and salvoes from each side in the form of DRM and torrents are not doing any one any favours.

Telume
3rd June 2009, 01:13 PM
I personally think copyrighting is stupid. Which is why I'm a very heavy supporter of the OpenSource movement for software.

Why should I pay to have to use something? And why should people get pissed off at me when I modify something?

MToolen
3rd June 2009, 04:39 PM
I personally think copyrighting is stupid. Which is why I'm a very heavy supporter of the OpenSource movement for software.

Why should I pay to have to use something? And why should people get pissed off at me when I modify something?

Because they were the ones that took the time to get the code or layout working and they have a royalties contract and that provides for them and, presumably, their families. Of course, not everyone is Bill Gates and spends their money fighting cancer and world hunger. But that doesn't make them less entitled to what they deserve.

Being on the receiving end of technology and software is easy and, at times, I forget how hard the sending end of it is. Trying to get the right sequence of input to push electrons down a select group of wires to run through some other wires, even for something as simple as the period at the end of this sentence, is maddening to me (much less that the whole thing might have to be put on a separate piece of plastic or be forced through space to get to another computer).

So, do the creators of intellectual property deserve compensation? Yes. However, I agree with the general consensus here that the reality and abuse of copyright law is just that.

Kirby
3rd June 2009, 04:54 PM
It's not entirely difficult to download videos from youtube with the right add-ons.

Magmar
6th June 2009, 09:33 AM
I still manage to illegally rip whatever I want, whenever I want :D it's all in how you play the game, son

shazza
6th June 2009, 11:17 AM
I LIKE TO DOWNLOADS MUSIC BUT NOT TELL THE BAND AND I LIKE TO DOWNLOAD VIDEOS BUT NOT TELL THE CREATOR AND THEN I GET ROMS BUT THEN NOT BUY THEM AND I THINK IM GOING TO GO TO HELL BUT THATS OKAY BECAUSE I APID FOR THESE THINGS FOR FREE SO ITS OKAY AND IF THE AFTER LIFE PUNISHES ME FOR IT AT LEAST I GOT THEM FOR FREE DO YOU GUYS GET WHAT IM SAYING LOL

Blademaster
6th June 2009, 02:00 PM
Shazza.

Decaf.

It tastes just as good as regular.

HELL FUCKING YES I TOTALY GET WHAT YOURE SAYING AND WHEN SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 COMES OUT IM GONNA PIRATE THAT SHIT AND THEN WHEN IT DOESNT SELL WELL CUZ I DOWNLOADED IT AND NINTENDO GOES BACK TO MAKING WII THROW A SHOE AT GEORGE BUSH THEN I CAN BITCH ABOUT HOW ME AND THE OTHER HARDCORE GAMERS ARE GETTING SHAFTED BY NINTENDO YOU KNO WHAT I MEAN BRO?/

Heald
6th June 2009, 06:33 PM
This thread is beginning to smell of fail.

If this is not rectified soon, I shall deal with it, and deal with those who are peddling this fail.