PDA

View Full Version : Confederations Cup?

Telume
17th June 2009, 12:01 PM
Anyone watching it?

Your thoughts on the games this far?

Dark-San
17th June 2009, 12:17 PM
Brazil's performance against Egypt left a lot of punters in doubt whether if they could win this one at the moments. Odds aren't really on their side. But it is another story for Spain, who trashed New Zealand 5-0 in the opening match. Torres with a hattrick puts every defense at fear. =0

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
17th June 2009, 01:54 PM
No big surprise as Spain beat Iraq 1-0 today. When Spain faces South Africe next they can equalize Brazil's world record of being undefeated in 35 games. Spain has won the last 14 in a row, looks good for the European Champion.

Telume
17th June 2009, 09:59 PM
I have to be honest I was real surprised with Iraq's performance, they put up a real stout performance against Spain. I thought the goals were gonna rain down, they didn't.

South Africa's win against New Zealand today doesn't surprise me one bit and I was surprised at Egypt's performance, goes to show you that in the group of death ANYTHING can happen.

Now all that needs to happen is that Brazil and Italy lose these next matches against the US and Egypt respectively and that pretty much blows Group B wide open.

Not saying it will happen but if it does... well that'll make Group B REALLY interesting.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
19th June 2009, 04:02 PM
Heh, Italy lost to Egypt. Quite a humiliating defeat, first time ever they lost to an African team too.

Telume
19th June 2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I'm glad they did. Egypt got revenge for the win the US deserved. The only reason they won is 'cause one of the US players got ejected unfairly IMO.

Jeff
24th June 2009, 03:25 PM
Team USA pulled it off!

2-0 against Spain! ... SPAIN!

Telume
24th June 2009, 08:34 PM
I didn't know you were a soccer fan Jeff.

But yeah, that was a big upset, I'm happy they pulled it off though

I actually commented on FIFA.com and everyone was tipping Spain to win it easy, but, boy were they wrong. Even the some people are still saying it was luck
And to them I say: It was not luck, it was American heart, determination and skill that won that match.

The better team won today and that team was the USA. Excellent defending from the US.
I got to admit though, I was extremely nervous in the last 10 minutes. Especially when there were scrambles in the box.

After the match I was actually shaking and also brimming with excitement, I really was stunned. I couldn't believe the actually pulled it off.

Btw: I am a Team USA fan as well, and I definitely think the boys in the jerseys did our nation proud.

Jeff
24th June 2009, 08:50 PM
I didn't know you were a soccer fan Jeff.

Eh, not really, I was just watching the game with my brothers. I was still impressed though.

Telume
24th June 2009, 10:35 PM
It's a shame because the USA needs supporters, we've made BIG strides in soccer. We're definitely not the same rag-tag team of semi-pros we were in 1990.

I hope this is a sign of things to come for them, this is just the first of many results and it's a big result because Spain is ranked Number 1 in the World.

Dark-San
24th June 2009, 11:13 PM
Spain probably left their soccer boots at home. But kudos to team USA for showing them not to be complacent. So I guess the final is now USA against the samba boys?

Telume
25th June 2009, 12:03 AM
Not yet, the "samba boys" have to get past Bafana Bafana first. And if South Africa follow the example set by the USA, another so-called "small team", then Brazil could be in for a VERY long night.

Their match is 6/25 for us, probably 6/26 for you and possibly very very early in the morning XD

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
28th June 2009, 03:31 PM
So we have a winner and it's Brazil. The US did an excellent job in the first half, leading 2-0 but Brazil came back to win it 3-2. Brazil really showed their strength in the second half, dominating the match and rarely allowing the US to even make it out of their own half. Brazil even scored a goal that wasn't given. Can Brazil escape the curse of the Confederation Cup winner never winning the World Championship the year after?

Telume
28th June 2009, 04:32 PM
They also have another curse, and that's the fact that they've never won an Olympic Football Tournament.

Oh and they've also never won a Women's World Cup.

I'm real proud of the US boys, sure it was disappointing but hey for them it's lessons learned, now they gotta move forward and take this into the qualifiers and next year into the World Cup.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
28th June 2009, 11:44 PM
Great thing Brazil won. I think Brazil is for football a bit same that Sweden is for ice hockey. They don't get unnecessary pressure and they win important matches.

Telume
29th June 2009, 12:25 AM
I don't like Brazil, honestly every time I see them playing I turn off the TV, 'cause it's basically like the San Antonio Spurs here in basketball, it's boring. Same teams disputing the finals.

But whatev, they won, big whoop. Oh well, good show for the US and now they can go off and build on these lessons learned for the Gold Cup and for the World Cup Qualifiers.

I think next year will be the year the underdogs shine for once. I'm so glad France eliminated them (Brazil) in Germany, they had a very crappy showing that year.

Egypt definitely left an impression on me, if they get some consistent results I think they could end up giving the giants a big scare. It's a shame they exited in the group stage, if I had to bet on a team in the group stage that would cause a stir, they would've been the ones. They definitely stunned Italy (damn Italians, they deserved it.) and I also think it was that Italy had an old team (I think they had the oldest team in the tournament.)

I was mightily impressed with the South Africans, they put on a thriller against Spain, you could tell the grew as a team as the tournament progressed. These are the building blocks for next year, and I think they will put on a good performance next year.

As for Iraq and New Zealand, better luck next time for them, New Zealand managed to break their hard luck and claim a point and Iraq put on an organized performance against Spain. Still not enough to get out of the group but, oh well.

That's my complete two cents, a little long-winded but, I just felt like getting that out.

Dark-San
29th June 2009, 08:52 AM
Lol, different opinions I guessed. Brazil IMO deserved this one. But on the other hand, USA are made to pay hard for their lapses in the second half. I thought that an upset is in the cards when USA lead the first half by two goals.

My advice to Team USA. Take this tournament as a lesson and move on. Football isn't just 45 minutes, it is 90 minutes. No use if you lead the entire first half by two goals only to let in another 3 to your opponent in the later half. =\