PDA

View Full Version : Why put Explosion on Weezing?

Shigeo Masamune
12th April 2003, 12:03 AM
With a max 219 speed, it's not outrunning jack, and that's assumung max DV's and EV. Why bother? You're never going to be able to use Explosion, because you won't be able to go first. What's the point?

This game is angering me more by the day. I wasted 6 hours hatching Koffing's for this? What a crappy Pokemon.

Gamma
12th April 2003, 12:30 AM
explosion is a good atack for a lower level pokemon i think

Shigeo Masamune
12th April 2003, 12:37 AM
...that made no sense. Clarify?

Pidgeot
12th April 2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Gamma
explosion is a good atack for a lower level pokemon i think

Actually, it did make sence. What Gamma is saying is that:

Explosion is a good move for a pokemon at a low level.

Allthough Im not saying I agree with this.

Also, you are only taking speed into account. Take a look at Weezings attack, and put that in conjunction with Explosions 250 power. Plus it dosent matter if your hit first, because heck, the opponent might use something like curse and you wont even get hurt. Thats another stat you need to accomodate for: Defences. Perhaps he may not be able to strike first, but at least if he does he can hold it long enough to esplode =)

Scythemantis
12th April 2003, 01:00 AM
? When you know you're running low on hp and won't last another two turns, explode. Simple as that.

Little_Pikachu
12th April 2003, 01:13 AM
Explosion is very useful on Weezing. Your opponent pulls out their filthy Heal Beller and BOOOOM! Or your opponent pulls out their filthy Kyogre and BOOOOM! Or their filthy stat tank and BOOOOM!

Basically, 500 effective base power (due to Explosion's side effect) is quite a bit, and it is often very beneficial to sacrifice a member of your team in order to assassinate a key member of the opponent's team. Don't wait for it to get to a sliver of hit points and then try to Explode on whatever happens to be out at the time; instead blow your opponent's support pokémon to smithereens and then go to town with the rest of your team, which still has its support pokémon.

Shigeo Masamune
12th April 2003, 01:18 AM
Weezing was going to be my hazer. I need my hazer. I can't just blow it up like that. What am I going to do? I keep taking my team apart and rebuilding it exactly the same because nothing else I try fits together properly. I wanted Weezing and Skarmory for this iteration. But it has Haze, Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Explosion. He'll never use Shadow Ball, as he can't handle a Psychic. Any other move means I have to put effort into his SP.A, which ruins him COMPLETELY.

They made the game way too complex now. I can't handle it. Everybody has a team except for me, and I'm killing myself trying to rush to put one together, all because I keep making stupid mistakes in my plans and messing everything up. I have a team of attack pokemon with barely anything unexpected. I don't want to waste 30-100 hours training a level 100 team just to find out they're completely useless. I can't handle this anymore.

:: One ::
12th April 2003, 01:30 AM
You're always complaining about this game. If it's so bad, why don't you just quit. I'm not trying to be a jack@$$ by offering you no sympathy, but i've read you complain about things that the rest of us are putting up with. I mean, if it hurts raising your hand, stop raising your hand. If you can't handle a game, stop playing the game. It just makes sense. A game is only good if it gives you utility, in the case of video games, utility is enjoyment. If a game gives you no utility, and it sounds to me like you aren't getting any from pokemon, then there's no use for the game. This is why people stop playing games they've beaten, the enjoyment has significantly decreased, it's not as fun as it used to be... it has no utility. I hope you don't quit though, pokemon is a great game, and I don't see a single thing wrong with it. Apparently most people don't see a single thing wrong with it either. But you're different, what's in your best interest?

Shigeo Masamune
12th April 2003, 01:37 AM
I just want a nice, solid level 100 team. Is that too much to ask? I'm willing to put in the work, but so far, I've got nothing to show for it. I'm behind. The game is fun when you look back and see how much work you put into it, and what you've ended up with. I don't want to spend the time and realize it was all a waste.

I don't have much time left. I can't afford to waste it. I need to do this right the first time, or else it's been a waste.

:: One ::
12th April 2003, 01:44 AM
Everyone does. You've got to realize that the rest of us are dealing with the exact same things. I dont' want to waste my time either, so I've been planning a team. I'm playing the game as a test, to iron out all the details. Right now, I have a word document that has my 6 pokemon, movesets, weaknesses, base stats, max stats, the effort points i plan to give them, the actual stats they'll probably recieve under ideal circumstances, items i plan on them holding, personalities chosen and all that. If you've got anything wrong, it's that you think you need to get it rigt the first time. Starting over doesn't always mean everything was a waste, unless you let it be a waste. Learn from it. Maybe even purposely let the first run through the game be a waste.

Shigeo Masamune
12th April 2003, 01:53 AM
I'm done my first run. Now it's time to raise a team. Then I can begin the other version, and casually work on a team there.

I'm running out of time. I'd like to have a team done. But no, I don't think "everyone" is struggling with this. Some people have everything figured out with their teams, and have raised a good portion of them, if not the entire thing. People know exactly how to allocate effort points, and they magically get excellent IV's. Not all of us have that luck, and not all of us are intelligent enough to divide up points so as to not end up with a Magikarp clone.

Having to replace a level 100 team member, or large portions of a team, dosen't take 4 hours like it did in RBY. It's a two-week task for one party member. I don't mind doing it once.

I've been playing Pokemon for odd-near 5 years now. It's understandable that I'd be upset over the fact that after spending close to 800 hours on the game, I still blow at making teams and coming up with strategies.

Mr.E
12th April 2003, 02:23 AM
Grab the mighty Zigzagoon Item Crew and fight your best one near Littleroot and Oldale. Nuggets will fuel $$$ for vitamins (Protein of which you'll pick up some to boot) and Rare Candies show up at times.

Earlier I got myself a good 15 Rare Candies in around an hour of fighting or so, with 6 Ziggy. It gets faster when your best Ziggy/Linoone can OHKO stuff because of a higher level or better attacks. Vitamin most of your EVs up and finish through some battles (with the Macho Brace, of course). Use the Rare Candies to finish your leveling, which should be much quicker than raising them up any other way.

Kokomo
12th April 2003, 07:55 AM
I don't have much time left. I can't afford to waste it. I need to do this right the first time, or else it's been a waste.

Are you going to die?:confused:

It's understandable that I'd be upset over the fact that after spending close to 800 hours on the game, I still blow at making teams and coming up with strategies.

:yes: Don't give up though. Ru/Sa is far more complicated compared to past pokemon games. Just keep trying and it will all come together.

Vega
12th April 2003, 08:02 AM
here's my view on Explosion:

in gsc, Weezing had no other uses except exploding the opponents beller coz of its weakness to the very common ground type moves.

now in rs with its Levitate ability, and a great movepool, i dont see why weezing should have Explosion.

NOTE: i've always hated Explosion so you might want to disregard anything i've just said

Umbrella
12th April 2003, 08:52 AM
i have several R/S teams to use,but the thing is i don't raise them in game :P

i just write them down on paper,and when i get a chance upload them to RSBot and plug in the effort values,DVs,personalities,items,etc.

i don't really like playing the acutal game because it is WAY too easy (beating the other trainers and gyms i mean)

i'm only in Pokemon for online battling against other people,not just to show off that i can beat a dimwitted CPU ._.;\

so in short,you don't have to make your team in-game and spend all that time rasing them to lvl 100,just go to RSBot and make it,and they're automatically 100 :D

n00b
12th April 2003, 09:45 AM
eherm.. in my team, the bAll-Stars, Weezing didn't have that problem. lookie here..

Weezing @ Qwiklaw
Haze
Fiar Balst
sludge Bomb
explosion

see.. it could take out curseskarms, it could haze, and with the unexpected qwiklaw, explosion can usually be effective. I just seem to possess nub luck.

see, this team could sweep, but to DEAD standards, like GP or anything, it'd lose since i suck as a trainer lolz.

Forry @ qwiklaw
spikes
toxic
protect/hp bug
explosion (all he does is set spikes, then explode. :( )

trode @ miracle
twave
tbolt
reflect
explosion (hes very fast so whatever)

cloy @ lefties
surf
ice beam
rapid spin
explosion (i think he can handle it)

golem @ qwiklaw
rock slide
earthquake
fiar balst
splode (heeheehe is evil)

weezing @ qwiklaw
haze
fiar balst
sludge bomb
explosion (he could pull it off..i still think fiar balst > will o wisp)

eggy @ qwiklaw
giga drain
sleep powder
psychic
explosion (yeah sleep, they switch to bliss, splode.)

Little_Pikachu
12th April 2003, 11:33 AM
"Weezing was going to be my hazer. I need my hazer. I can't just blow it up like that."

That's fine, but you asked, QUOTE, "Why put Explosion on Weezing?" This is the question I answered. Weezing has multiple movesets, some of which have Explosion and some of which do not. If your particular choice is one that will not be using Explosion, I see no problem with that, but the fact that you don't plan to use a particular move does not make the Koffing series "crappy".

"What am I going to do? I keep taking my team apart and rebuilding it exactly the same because nothing else I try fits together properly."

Try planning it out on paper first. Plot your moves, your effort point distribution, and the other miscellaneous qualities. Run them by other skilled trainers, and try the sets out on the RSBot whenever someone writes one. Only once you are satisfied need you spend this time making the team.

"I wanted Weezing and Skarmory for this iteration. But it has Haze, Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Explosion. He'll never use Shadow Ball, as he can't handle a Psychic."

You could Shadow Ball on the switch, although considering with supereffectivity it is still only 160 base power, I wouldn't bother. Sludge Bomb + STAB == 150, so with the chance of poisoning it is every bit as good against psychics as Shadow Ball. Steels are way more a problem, I'd say.

"Any other move means I have to put effort into his SP.A, which ruins him COMPLETELY."

You don't have to pump lots of effort points into special attack. Just remember, your opponent will be under the same constraints as you; they can't boost their defense AND their special defense AND their hit points AND an attack stat all at once; they will have to make sacrifices as well. A low-effort Fire Blast will still hurt if it hits a pokémon that hasn't maxed out special defense and hit points.

"They made the game way too complex now. I can't handle it. Everybody has a team except for me, and I'm killing myself trying to rush to put one together, all because I keep making stupid mistakes in my plans and messing everything up."

You think these the teams you see on this board exist in the real world?

See that bridge over there? The Brooklyn Bridge. I own it. Want to buy it? $50. If you give me cash now, I'll send you the paperwork tomorrow, okay?

Most of the people here are just planning out their teams, getting input from other people before they commit their time to actually making anything.

"I'm running out of time. I'd like to have a team done. But no, I don't think 'everyone' is struggling with this. Some people have everything figured out with their teams, and have raised a good portion of them, if not the entire thing. People know exactly how to allocate effort points, and they magically get excellent IV's."

Only the people who own sharks, buddy. The rest of us aren't done yet, either.

Gligar_Man
12th April 2003, 11:36 AM
"You think these the teams you see on this board exist in the real world?"

mine does... :\ i just hacked it on a friends game and traded it over, :P

Little_Pikachu
12th April 2003, 11:40 AM
I repeat: "Only the people who own sharks, buddy."

Shigeo Masamune
12th April 2003, 11:55 AM
Run it past skilled trainer? You mean, the way I've been doing all along? People do an RMT once, and then if the team isn't radically different, they won't touch it. I wasted my chance already. Even if I spam it constantly, nobody's going to rate it now.

I get that everyone has to divide up points. At least they have an idea of where to put them. There's 32 points for IV's (which I'll never get) and 63 for EV's. If I put 63 into something, I'm paper-thin. I can't figure out how to divide up the points, what to equip, what personalities to use, or even if my team works.

Like I said, I'm out of time. I need to start making progress, otherwise it's been a waste.

Little_Pikachu
12th April 2003, 06:13 PM
"Run it past skilled trainer? You mean, the way I've been doing all along? People do an RMT once, and then if the team isn't radically different, they won't touch it. I wasted my chance already. Even if I spam it constantly, nobody's going to rate it now."

I suppose you could always listen in on other RMT threads. Comments that are meaningful on other teams may be meaningful on yours as well. After all, there's a limited supply of pokémon, so there's sure to be some duplicate pokémon serving duplicate roles somewhere on the board. Also, there's a half dozen or so other pokémon message boards around; by the time you went through all of them no one would remember your team here.

As it happens, though, I suspect you may be exaggerating a bit.

"I get that everyone has to divide up points. At least they have an idea of where to put them. There's 32 points for IV's (which I'll never get)"

Each stat gets its own IV, and theoretically each one can have a 31. You don't "get" IVs, you just breed and catch incessantly until you've found a wild pokémon with slightly better stats than normal. The only limitation on your getting the perfect IVs on every pokémon is the time you're willing to spend on it.

"and 63 for EV's. If I put 63 into something, I'm paper-thin. I can't figure out how to divide up the points,"

You get to split 510 Effort Points amongst the stats, and no one stat can have more than 255 Effort Points applied to it. So you can max two stats, or raise three or more stats to somewhat short of the maximum. Look at the pokémon's role in your team... If it is meant to be a tank that can Rest or Recover and soak up damage for a long time, such as Skarmory, put the Effort Points in defense, special defense, and hit points. If it is meant to deal lots of damage in one strike, such as Alakazam, you're better off putting the Effort Points in speed and attack/special attack.

Even though you don't know the perfect, optimal point spread, remember that neither does anyone else. We're all working with the vague guidelines above, even if some people are invariably overconfident.

"what to equip,"

A good rule of thumb to start with, at least, is Leftovers on tanks and Lum Berry on non-tanks. Items are easily changed, so you don't have to worry if you change your mind later as you experiment with the pokémon.

"what personalities to use,"

It's only ten lousy percent. Equal to the attack-boosting items like Charcoal that everybody tends to reject. Just make sure whatever you get doesn't directly smack the stats you plan to put effort points into, and you should be fine. In all cases, that's about half the personalities you could possibly get.

If you're really intent on getting the perfect team, put attack drop personalities on special attackers and special attack drop personalities on physical attackers. No drawback.

"or even if my team works."

Nobody else can tell either, at least for sure. Ultimately, most of what is said on this forum is an educated guess. This is why we test teams in combat.

"Like I said, I'm out of time. I need to start making progress, otherwise it's been a waste."

You have all the time in the world. Your cartridge isn't going anywhere.

Shigeo Masamune
12th April 2003, 07:08 PM
I guess I'm wrong then. I'm sorry. I'll shut up.