PDA

View Full Version : They're dropping like flies - Billy Mays makes #4 in a week

[Kimmi]™
28th June 2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-billy-mays29-2009jun29,0,6116879.story

Seriously, there has to be something in the water. Ed MacMahon and Farrah Fawcett were understandable, maybe even expected. Michael Jackson was pushing it, but Billy Mays?!

I remember first seeing him advertise OxyClean as a kid and thinking that he was pretty awesome. I still laughed at him through my teenage years and when the show Pitchmen premiered on the Discovery Channel, I was right there watching and laughing along. I got a text message this morning saying he had died and I had to hop on Google to make sure my friends weren't yanking my chain. I kinda wish they were now. RIP. :(

And attachment because I was really bored.

Roy Karrde
28th June 2009, 12:48 PM
Quick everyone! Hide the other 70s and 80s idols! Where is Richard Dean Anderson! We have to get MacGyver some where safe and do it now!

Jeff
28th June 2009, 01:55 PM
Stop, just STOP! At this rate we won't have any celebrities left by the end of the year!

He had a job where he had to do something that most people deem annoying, but his style and charisma were so great that everyone liked him. RIP Billy, may the angels in heaven buy millions of bottles of OxyClean from you.

Blademaster
28th June 2009, 03:02 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Soul_of_the_Phoenix/goodbye.png

Good night, sweet prince. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. :cry:

Little_Pikachu
28th June 2009, 03:31 PM
I have to admit I don't know who he is, but it really does seem like there's a celebrity cull going on lately.

Telume
28th June 2009, 04:40 PM
And the funny thing is that both Mays and Jackson died at 50 years old. Kinda wierd isn't it?

Asilynne
28th June 2009, 04:45 PM
I always made fun of him whenever he was on a commercial screaming out the benefits of whatever product he happened to endorse at the moment. My sister made me feel bad by telling me he had a wife and kids x.x And yeah it seems like theres a celebrity plague going on >.>

Knight of Time
28th June 2009, 04:46 PM
And the funny thing is that both Mays and Jackson died at 50 years old. Kinda wierd isn't it?

Not to mention both s were so unexpected...

Honestly, I've seen Billy Mays' informercials many times, showing products like the Hercules Hook, Mighty Putty, Fix It Scratch Remover, etc., but despite having little interests in his products, I didn't see the news of his coming until when I got home.

RIP Billy Mays.

Telume
28th June 2009, 06:35 PM
Needless to say that they are both big time losses. Billy Mays had a charisma and a charm that actually made you want to buy the product.

I saw a few episodes of Pitchmen and I wasn't really interested in it, but hearing him curse in the show itself was pretty damn funny.

Pokemaster Ash
28th June 2009, 07:24 PM
Well in Chicago, a major news personality in John Calloway passed away inbetween Ed McMahon and Farrah/Micheal, so that's one extra loss to that area.

And truth be told, there are reports surfacing that Walter Cronkite is terminally ill and is not expected to last much longer either...

...Is it officially time to say "This is getting spooky..." yet?

Telume
28th June 2009, 08:25 PM
This month has been somewhat personal for me, not important in a world wide sense but certainly important to me. My aunt passed away about a week ago. As a whole 2009 is turning out to be a rather sad year for my family.

Both my uncle and my aunt pass away in the same year.

PancaKe
28th June 2009, 09:11 PM
Like, I'm sad and stuff about the deaths that are going on. Especially MJ's death. It was one of those deaths where, you'll remember where you were when you heard the news about it, you know?

But I've found, well at least watching my facebook thread, that people were all like "OMG RIP MJ" and then others were like "Yeah, well while one guy dies, thousands of kids in Africa will die today too, of preventable diseases."

Is it right to mourn the death of a celebrity, while thousands of other people die every day and go unrecognized?

*shrugs* Other people seem to think its horribly wrong, but I don't know.

Jeff
28th June 2009, 10:06 PM
Well, is there really any reason to mourn someone you don't know? When a kid in Africa dies it's the same as if Joe Schmo from Walla Walla, Washington died, only those people who knew that particular person will be mourning. And really, when it comes to celebrities it's the same thing, it's just that more people know them, and therefore more people will feel sad that they're gone.

Telume
29th June 2009, 12:35 AM
It's kind of like feeling sad because your in-law's second cousin twice removed dies. You don't know the person, so what do you care?

You only really care if the person had a significant impact in your life, like my aunt and uncle did with me.

Or Michael Jackson did with you (musically anyway).

Houndoom_Lover
30th June 2009, 07:23 PM
That tombstone made me laugh! But more seriously people-

Who'll be on that new Pitchman show!? I LOVE that show! TwT That Shamwow guy is creepy.

Katie
30th June 2009, 07:24 PM
So, God, since you're flexing your bolt-of-lightning arm, can we start voting on which currently pointless famous person kicks it next? Please?

Houndoom_Lover
30th June 2009, 07:47 PM
Best idea ever! Some body start a poll. I vote Ma- Ah, he's already dead. Holy crap. The guy who did the Joker who's name exscapes me for some reason is dead.

All I can think a Veisel and Johnny Depp or however you spell his name. He's neither or them. Kurt Vonagan. Oh lord! Celebrity mind blank and a bad spelling day!!!???

The raging horror TwT

Blademaster
30th June 2009, 10:18 PM
^Anybody that can translate that horrible mess of keyboard-banging gibberish gets a cookie from me.

Also, God, please kill Stephanie Meyer. I've been reminded the past 2 days why people hate her and her shitty books so much. My vote goes to Meyer, God. Make it happen.

PancaKe
30th June 2009, 10:55 PM
Houndy couldn't remember the name of the guy who played Joker in The Dark Knight.

It's Heath Ledger. An Australian actor, whose finest hour was not only The Dark Knight, but also 10 Things I Hate About You. Oh he is so good looking in that movie.

If somebody HAS to die, it'd be interesting to watch another celebrity die who was just about to finish something really huge. Like when the author of the Wheel of Time series died right before the last book was finished... Sucks to be a fan of those books

Asilynne
30th June 2009, 11:04 PM
Like when the author of the Wheel of Time series died right before the last book was finished... Sucks to be a fan of those books

YOU SUCK! *runs away crying* lol But seriously I did cry when he died, not just because the final book is left unwritten, but because I fell in love with his writing style and his world and it made me sad that we lost such a great asset to humanity. Im sure in whatever afterlife he believes in hes living in the world he created and is very happy though ^-^

PancaKe
30th June 2009, 11:06 PM
Sorry Asi. I did try to give Wheel of Time a chance, but it was very difficult. It's the writing style and the language that gets me. I guess I enjoy simpler language, like that of Harry Potter, that way I can just read, as opposed to stumbling over complicated words and names and characters and places. I got lost very quickly within the first five chapters, and then gave up. It's just not my style of fiction.

But yeah, any death is tragic, but I did find my friends reactions rather humerous.

Crazy Elf Boy
30th June 2009, 11:28 PM
I agree with Blade the tyranic rule of Stephanie Meyer poisoning the minds of everyone should stop right now. Also is addition to that, any evidence of her existance should be wiped from the earth.

Houndoom_Lover
30th June 2009, 11:38 PM
I second Meyer! ^_^

And yes, Heath Ledger.

And Dave, shut up. Don't make fun of my gibberish. Your mama be gibberish.

:k PancaKe gets no cookie, because I ate it. So there.

NO COOKIE FOR YOU!
(Yaaay! The once daily Soup Nazi referance!)