PDA

View Full Version : Food Glorious Food (*not an Oliver! thread)

Heald
18th July 2009, 09:56 AM
So I was sitting here eating my soup and thinking,

"Man, this is some nice soup, I want to tell people how nice this soup is."

So I came to TPM to tell you all about my soup. It is instant spicy red lentil soup that you usually only add boiling water too, but I added a dash of milk and some croutons. Very nice.

I love soup.

Anyway, here's a thread where I want to know what food you like, what your regular eating patterns are, what you consider to be guilty pleasures, what foods you hate, and any of your own particular recipes that you can pass onto us.

Katie
18th July 2009, 11:43 AM
I eat food that both is extremely cheap (I only buy food that costs under $2 for one serving, and try to stick to under $1) and takes less than 60 seconds of me actively doing something to prepare it. I hate cooking, and my microwave-fu is unmatched. The most complicated thing I can make is eggs, or grilled cheese.

I know I ain't healthy, and losing weight ain't gonna happen on this diet, but that's college for ya! I take a daily multivitamin that probably doesn't do much but it makes me feel better about it :) I do eat a lot of fruit, and drink a lot of milk though.

When I treat myself (never) I like pasta, chinese, and mexican. They are also all my guilty pleasures. Chinese buffet? Outta my way.

Telume
18th July 2009, 01:07 PM
I tend to eat the foods that my cultural and linguistic ties eat (that's Hispanic in case you're wondering)

Ahhh Baleadas, how I love Baleadas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baleada (<--- For those of you who don't know what that is)

DarkestLight
18th July 2009, 01:23 PM
I am a foodie. If I didn't have this allergy to pork..*record skips*

¬¬ Yes. I have a full blown allergy to pork. *starts record* ...I'd have eaten every single thing on every menu in every restaurant in NYC by now. My favorite food however, is well ..I eat too many things all the time so I dun have one.

I'll get back to this topic later, as I'm late for another crab splurge n_N! Foood!

Houndoom_Lover
18th July 2009, 01:34 PM
I looooove soup too!

I can't wait. My future school, they have soup avalible every single day at every time of the day. I'm going to have soup for lunch/dinner every single day :heart:

I myself wake up and eat very little. If I eat alot when I first get up, I feel sick the whole rest of the day. So I have a slice of lunchmeat maybe, a sig of Orange Juice, a mug of Hot cocoa, a banana, a tiny bowl od cerial, a tiny bowl of cerial with some banana, a simple cup of tea, a muffin, or a begal. Something small and tasty. Breakfast pastrys or a drink.

Then for lunch I usually have a sandwhich and soup (Mmmmm). If its speical, we have fried food. I hated the school lunch. They were so bad for you and it was never soup or a sandwhich lunch worthy.

Then I have a desserty snack like pudding or a cookie.

I then either graze all day, or have a meal, something with chicken, or hot pockets, sometimes with a salad.

I loooove bulk food! Puddding in huge cans, ranch in barals. It makes everything taste better. My least favorite soup is Tamato.

I hate very little food- though I have an increasing dislike of cold cheese after it had been warm. So no cold pizza for me (ick!) and in general, I hold the cheese. Cheese should just be seperate, on its own or sharing a cracker with a tint slice of meat.

I need to drink more milk.

I have a whole book of respics' I need to start trying. Because I'm a woman :3 I need to know how to cook.

Blademaster
18th July 2009, 06:14 PM
inb4Houndydominatesthethrea-... DAMMIT! Too late. --;

OK, contributing to the topic, uh... Tostito's. Plain Tostito's are the best snack ever. That and Entenmann's donuts. Plain, powdered sugar, and powdered cinnamon. I can eat half the box in one sitting.

I actually have some recipes I can share, too. Later, after I have dinner though. One of them is a guaranteed cure for the common cold.

classy_cat18
18th July 2009, 07:09 PM
I could live off of pizza. Sometimes it seems like I do. Cheap, frozen pizza (warmed up of course). I'll treat myself to Domino's, Papa John's, Pizza Hut, or Little Caesar's. All of which are near home. XD

I also love to go to Applebees or Chili's for dinner. Get boneless wings for an appetizer and another chicken dish for the entree. I'll always insist on getting dessert even though I feel like popping. Anything with a lot of chocolate, or cheesecake. Key lime pie is also good. Mmmmmm, fattening sugar. *drools*

Oh, and Mexican. There's this authentic Mexican restaurant near home that makes great grilled chicken taco salad. After which I get gas.

EDIT: Did anyone else think of that musical number in Ice Age: The Meltdown when they saw the title of this thread?

Houndoom_Lover
18th July 2009, 09:28 PM
Oh my gosh! Applebees is my favorite restraunt!

And yeah XD I did too! The Vultures sing it!

Blademaster
18th July 2009, 10:05 PM
EDIT: Did anyone else think of that musical number in Ice Age: The Meltdown when they saw the title of this thread?

XD I did too! The Vultures sing it!

It was the first thing I thought of when I first saw this thread, actually... I thought Heald was viral advertising the new Ice Age movie somehow. <<;

shazza
18th July 2009, 10:41 PM
I try and eat pretty healthy as much as my budget permits. As I've mentioned beforehand, I lost about 25kg from January 2008 to July 2008. In order for me to do that, I had to substantially alter my diet, even the subtle aspects: brown pasta and rice, wholegrain bread, skim milk (which tastes much better, in my opinion) etc.

My all time favourite meal would have to be my dad's spaghetti bolognese.

I have a terrible hangover right now, and as such I'm about to head to the shop and buy some dim sims, coke and chicken chips to appease my hangover cravings.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th July 2009, 12:52 AM
To me, cooking itself isn't that horrible, but planning to start it is. I take too much stress.

As far as favourite food is concerned, I eat almost everything. I used to live in a substitute family, and this one girl was always asking what I had for lunch in where I studied. The girl studied cooking herself in another school so she was interested. But I never remembered what we had for lunch unless I payed really much attention. I just don't care what I eat. And that has led my body really malformed.

Weasel Overlord
19th July 2009, 06:11 AM
I LOVE food! Food is teh awesomes. My favourite meal is stew, with big lumps o' potato and big lumps o' meat and barely any vegetables. Yeah, I hate veg (except broccoli, for some reason). Potatoes are my favourite thing ever (much like Rincewind XD), and I could probably eat sushi til it came out of my ears. And ramen.

I'm not keen on soup, cos it's not chewable enough - although I'll eat it if I have enough nice bread to wipe it all up with so I don't have to eat the soup on its own.

I dunno about the rest of the guys, but in England, the fact that I have a dislike of baked beans that seriously borders on phobia seems to be a weirdly freakish thing. Anyone else hate beans? I also hate tomatoes, tomato sauce (ketchup to you guys, most likely) and anything that's been even near baked beans or tomato products.

I also bum seafood. Salmon, tuna, seabass, rainbow trout, mussels, scallops, MMMM. I also pride myself on being a pretty darn good cook, which all my housemates were always quite impressed with, heh. I could ramble on about food forever, but I'm just going to throw out as a final thing that I am the Sage of Cakism - the religion of cake. Cake is the best thing EVER. Any kind of cake, even though I shouldn't eat sugar any more cos of my teeth. D:

classy_cat18
19th July 2009, 07:01 PM
I dunno about the rest of the guys, but in England, the fact that I have a dislike of baked beans that seriously borders on phobia seems to be a weirdly freakish thing. Anyone else hate beans?
I hate most beans. I'm okay with beans in my chili, and the black beans that are in the taco salad I mentioned in my last post. But other beans? Nope.

I also hate tomatoes, tomato sauce (ketchup to you guys, most likely) and anything that's been even near baked beans or tomato products.
A lot of people here seem to hate tomatoes. I don't eat them by themselves, but I love tomatoes in my Mexican and Italian dishes. And tomato sauce and ketchup are two different things. But...if you don't eat tomato products...pizza has tomato sauce...

Telume
19th July 2009, 07:06 PM
A lot of people here seem to hate tomatoes. I don't eat them by themselves, but I love tomatoes in my Mexican and Italian dishes. And tomato sauce and ketchup are two different things. But...if you don't eat tomato products...pizza has tomato sauce...

I don't understand why that is, Tomatoes are great, Marinara sauce?

Give me some breadsticks, I'm double-dippin' tonight!

I LOVE food! Food is teh awesomes. My favourite meal is stew, with big lumps o' potato and big lumps o' meat and barely any vegetables. Yeah, I hate veg (except broccoli, for some reason). Potatoes are my favourite thing ever (much like Rincewind XD), and I could probably eat sushi til it came out of my ears. And ramen.

Sounds like beef stew... mmm, beef stew.

toucheiruka
19th July 2009, 07:39 PM
I was eating a piece of toast one day and I said to myself, I CAN'T BELIVE IT'S NOT BUTTER! *bad joke*

seriously though, depending on people cook the food on the ship, it's either appetizing or you'll lost the appetite. (been there, done that)

Jeff
19th July 2009, 09:47 PM
Oh, man. Food is one of my favorite topics! Part of the reason I've taken so long to post is because I haven't gathered everything I wanted to say. Commence TL;DR!

Yesterday was my brother's birthday so, by our family tradition, for his birthday dinner he got to pick what we would be eating. He picked one of my favorite foods: shrimp. Around here, shrimp isn't shrimp unless it's cooked in Old Bay Seasoning (a local brand of crab seasoning), and the place we got the shrimp from didn't put nearly enough on it, so we had to add our own, other than that, it was good as usual. I also love them dipped in melted butter (still with the seasoning of course).

I also have to mention crabs, since they're the local food here. I love 'em. We used to eat them all the time during the summer (when they're in season), but now, we usually only get them 2-3 times a summer. They've just gotten so expensive. Even though the crab population is up, demand is still high because we still have so many people coming from out of state to eat crabs here because "that's what you do in Maryland", but they don't even know you're supposed to eat the claw meat, argh. Yeah, been going through withdrawal.:P

I also love fried chicken. So does my dad, and so did his dad. There used to be a place in a nearby town that deep-fried chicken with crab seasoning mixed in the oil (yes, we use that stuff for nearly everything:P), it was good. Man I miss that place. Now we usually settle for KFC. Their grilled chicken is awesome, their advertising for it though, just... weird.

The best pizza in the area is this little place off of our town's Main Street called Classic Pizza. It beats the pants off of any big chain, but when our family's feeling money conscious, we order from Domino's since it's cheap.

Now time for dessert! My aunt and uncle are visiting this week, so we had a dessert with dinner tonight. It's a no-bake cake called chocolate eclair cake. The first time I had it was this past Thanksgiving when my grandfather was hospitalized due to a near-fatal heart attack and me and my siblings ate dinner at our neighbor's house, and they had it there. After that, we told my mom she had to make it sometime. It's amazing and really easy to make, I just wish I could remember the recipe.:heh:

Heald
20th July 2009, 10:57 AM
Well, time for me to go in depth.

Truth be told, there isn't much I won't eat. I'm a bit funny with tomatoes. I'm fine with tomatoes in pasta sauce and pizza sauce, as baked bean sauce, even sometimes fresh on a burger. However, I can't stand eating an actual tomato by itself, nor do I like tomato ketchup.

I also hate things that are too vinegary, so of course vinegar, and most salad dressings.

I also detest Marmite/Vegemite.

Anyway, I'm also a pretty good cook. I can do roast dinners, cooked breakfasts, pasta dishes, three-course meals, make my own burgers and kebabs, curries, name it, I can do a dish.

Telume
20th July 2009, 01:53 PM
Heald, you'd probably be the perfect man for a lazy ass wife :P

Magmar
20th July 2009, 05:02 PM
I'm a vegetarian, and harshly allergic to chocolate and shrimp, and melon. Nevertheless I still manage to eat quite a bit of protein, enough that I can eat like a general fit person and work out with good results (eggs galore!) Anyways, I really enjoy eggs, saltines with peanut butter (sprinkle a little sugar on it!), I drink a lot of coffee, and lots of booze. I also sometimes enjoy potatoes, and seven layer nacho dip (double beans, of course, no meat!) Loaded nachos, anything Mexican!

I also molest everything with hot sauce :D

Blademaster
20th July 2009, 05:05 PM
I also detest Marmite/Vegemite.

GAH! What the Hell IS this stuff anyway?!?! I keep hearing Aussies mention it, but I have no clue what it is! It looks like Nutella, but I have no clue - help me out, people!

Heald
20th July 2009, 05:50 PM
GAH! What the Hell IS this stuff anyway?!?! I keep hearing Aussies mention it, but I have no clue what it is! It looks like Nutella, but I have no clue - help me out, people!
It's nothing like Nutella, it's yeast extract. It basically tastes and smells like ass. There's no other way of describing the taste. Nothing else, foodstuff or otherwise, comes close to its flavour. Australians seem to love it, but in England it seems to have the population divided, hence their tag-line 'You either love it or you hate it'.

I know Marmite and Vegemite are not exactly the same thing, but they're near enough substitutes for me to despise both equally.

Houndoom_Lover
20th July 2009, 06:25 PM
Nutella is Jesus :3

Jesus is good