PDA

View Full Version : The Now Playing Thread

Bear
18th July 2009, 10:15 AM
Gasp! Bear posting in Misc? Scaries...

*cough* anyway, the purpose of this topic is to post the music you are listening to at the moment. Despite what you might be thinking right now, this thread is NOT designed to be a PC++ thread. Instead, my goal with the thread is to help other users discover new music they haven't heard before, find new bands they like, and ultimately unlock the secrets of the universe!

Ok so maybe not so much that last part, but I want good music to get spread around. I've discovered quite a few amazing bands in recent years that are completely off the mainstream radar for one reason or another, and I want to share my discoveries with others. To make this thread viable and the posts long enough, I want people to follow this format:

Song Title: Youtube links would be useful here.
Artist:
Album:
Song Length:
Genre:
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you:

That should make the posts a little more organized and intelligent so this doesn't become a thread full of one-liners. Do your best with the Genre, I know sometimes it's difficult to classify certain bands. I'll start this off by posting my "Now Playing" from my Winamp at this very moment!

Song Title: Do You Call My Name (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRXRRlICvgo)
Artist: Ra
Album: From One
Song Length: 5:19
Genre: Hard Rock
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you: this song is what originally got me interested in this band. The Egyptian intro leading into the powerful and unique guitar melody absolutely captures me. Ra has been around for a little while, but has gone completely unnoticed by the mainstream crowd due to alot of bad luck with greedy labels. The lead singer, Sahaj Ticotin, is probably the most talented musician I have ever seen, being a multi-instrumentalist, producer, songwriter, frontman, and amazing singer. In addition to all that, due to circumstances he had to record every instrument track on their first album BY HIMSELF. Quite a feat for anyone to accomplish. Their two most recent albums, Black Sun and Black Sheep, were both entirely self-produced by a label he created himself.

Oh...I almost forgot! A couple of rules to follow:

1) Only one post per person per day please. I don't want people using this thread to boost their postcount and post every song that comes up on their playlist

2) No flaming or criticizing other people's musical taste. If you don't like a song someone posts, you don't have to listen to it.

3) Follow the format I included above. Please do not make one line posts.

4) FICHIES!

Houndoom_Lover
18th July 2009, 02:00 PM
None! I'm listening to nothing! I can't support this thread!!!! *panic*

Song Title: What You Own
Artist: Original Broadway Cast
Album: Rent: Original Broadway
Song Length: 3:11
Genre: Musical (Rock Opera)
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you: These two men have the most amazing voice. I've never seen Rent, nor do I ever want to. Because the music is just so perfect to write scenes to. The words flow perfectly and the song is just awesome. Its about America.

About how you own nothing, and how you should just go. Its...It's just moving and rocking and you get it stuck in your head. You WANT it in your head, though. Its just that good.

Weasel Overlord
19th July 2009, 06:17 AM
Song Title: Forbidden - Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dhGBh0xFV0), have a live video.
Artist: D'espairs Ray
Album: [Coll:set]
Song Length: 4.59
Genre: J-rock/Visual Kei (only their newer stuff isn't really VK any more)
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you: I just LOVE D'espairs Ray! I fell in love with them from this one song, Yami ni Furu Kiseki, which was super calm and really eerie, and then I picked up an album and found out that they were the most hard rockin' Jrock band I'd ever experienced! Their guitar is loud and crunchy, and pretty much all of their songs are so melodic and great to bounce around my room to. :D My dearest hope is that one day, they'll get to release albums over here, like Dir en Grey, cos that my friends, leads to gigs. Oho yes indeed. :D

Drago
20th July 2009, 04:59 AM
Song Title: Weak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_dD-nVS6ps&feature=related)
Artist: SWV
Album: It's About Time
Song Length: 4:51
Genre: R&B
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you: Alright, so I have a soft spot for 90s R&B. I could cycle off a few songs that are quite similar, but few are as poignant to me as this one. Basically, if you're into TLC and the like and are looking for something else, this is it right here. It's incredibly easy on the ears, the lyrics are wonderfully emotional and... I dunno, it's quite calming too, I find. If a song can relieve stress, that's a big bonus in my book.
Additionally, wikipedia claims... "Weak" set a record for the fewest number of characters needed to make up a title and artist's name on an American number one single. Record setting music. Ace. :yes:

Magmar
20th July 2009, 05:13 PM
Song Title: Bossman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw7W5zHVHbU)
Artist: Lucky Boys Confusion
Album: Throwing the Game, 2001
Song Length: about 3:20
Genre: Pop Punk/Reggae/Ska
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you: Lucky Boys Confusion will ALWAYS be my favorite band, haha, no matter how their new stuff may be. Anyways, this really is a great, very catchy song, it was in a couple commercials, and is off their best album.

Crystal Mew
21st July 2009, 12:08 AM
Song Title: Give Me Your Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihvG607W-c)
Artist: Brandon Heath
Album: I dont know
Song Length: 4:02
Genre: christian rock
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you: because I love his voice :)

PancaKe
21st July 2009, 12:28 PM
Song Title: Juneau (Acoustic) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMvA9IFXCpQ)
Artist: Funeral for a Friend
Album: From the DVD "Spilling Blood at 8mm"
Song Length: 4 mins?
Genre: Post punk emotive rock blah blah la la la I don't pay much attention to genres. Acoustic version of an emo song
Why this song and/or artist is amazing to you: I love this song. There is something chilling about the chords, the notes, the strumming pattern, and his voice as he sings softly over guitar. It's fantastic and my absolute favourite song everrrr!