PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince *spoilers within*

Drago
20th July 2009, 04:53 AM
So it's been out for about a week now here in Aus, bit more than a week elsewhere. I thought I might as well just make a thread for it and judge people's interest or opinion.

Saw it today with Jess on her birthday, and my opinion? I quite enjoyed it. Certainly had a whole lot going on, and though I knew about some important plot points already (kinda happens when your girlfriend is a Potter fanatic), it still didn't feel less interesting to me.

Two main gripes... The ending. No, not Dumbledore getting offed, that was all good, it was how there's this big thing about the Death Eaters finally infiltrating Hogwart's and messing crap up, and then... we're onto tomorrow, and it's peaceful melancholy time. LOLWUTTTTTT?
Jess tells me that in the book there's this epic battle between the teachers and the Eaters, and though I realise you have to condense the material for the film, it's a fairly glaring plot hole how THE EVIL HENCHMEN OF THE DARK LORD ARE IN YOUR CASTLE GROUNDS AND THEN THEY'RE GONE. It reminds me of the Joker busting up Bruce's party in the Dark Knight and then after flinging someone out a window, the scene's just kind of over. Seriously, maybe I'm the only one who notices it, but you really have to have your villains exit a scene before closing it. Otherwise, it makes us assume that they just left in a quiet peaceful manner. We know they didn't, but what else are we led to believe?

Second thing, and here's the big one. Bonnie Wright. When she was cast as Ginny Weasley back in 2001, it was an entirely miniscule and inconsequential role for a little girl. Then, J.K. Rowling writes a couple more books, Ginny becomes a more integral character and BAM - you're stuck with Bonnie Wright becoming more than a bit player. Good lord that girl is DREADFUL. Absolutely horrid. About the worst acting imaginable for a big-budget flick. She has no emotion, no levels, nothing. Just constant emotionless drivel. Case in point, Bellatrix and whosawhatsis attack the Weasley house. Potter, Lupin, Tonks and Ginny pursue, and get surrounded. Notice how the characters are looking panicked and horrified? ...All except Ginny, who appears to be looking around vacantly, occasionally lowering her wand? ACTING ++

Wow. I'm not a Potter fan so I couldn't speak on their behalf, but I would venture a guess to say that most of them wouldn't feel so offended if they just cut Bonnie Wright for her futility and re-cast. Seriously, get off my movie screen, you abysmal bitch.

So yessum. Discuss. Disgust. Discourse.

Katie
20th July 2009, 12:08 PM
Are we ok with posting book/movie 7 spoilers in this thread? If you don't want them then don't read my post as it's hard to discuss my major issues with the movie (plot holes leading into the the next movies)

I think you misunderstood the ending then. It wasn't like the book with the kickass battle, but it did make sense. Voldemort wants Dumbledore dead, supposedly by Draco. He knows Draco won't be able to do it, so he makes the Death Eaters go along to make sure he is still killed. Once he is dead, their job there is done, and there is no remaining "real" threat to them at Hogwarts for when they return later. They don't peacefully leave either, they (Bella especially) celebrate like crazy, running through the buildings destroying things, shooting off the Dark Mark, fleeing through the grounds and destroying Hagrid's house on the way out. Throughout the whole movie they were destroying things and not sticking around either.

I didn't like how they cut out the battle, Dumbledore's funeral (where he is buried with his WAND), cut out the Gaunts memory, or put any emphasis on the ring, or even MENTION the (real) locket. The book also had about 4 plotlines going on, and of all of them, the one they emphasize was the retarded romance! They didn't even get it right, Harry didn't know about Hermione's crush and Harry was supposed to officially be with Ginny. How else is he supposed to dump her for the next movie? We also miss out on meeting Bill, EVER, but supposedly the wedding is still on for the next movie. That'll take up some precious screen time to introduce.

You didn't like Ginny, but I thought she was fine. Harry bugged the shit out of me though, every time he tries to laugh it's just creepy. See: making fun of Dumbledore's age, or when they're in the hallway watching the younguns find their classes. Maybe he's just weird looking but it was disturbing to me.

In all I guess I have to accept that it's a movie adaptation BASED on a book, but I'm still curious to see how they'll cover their ass on some things. I did enjoy myself while watching though, don't get me wrong. :) (DUMBLEDORE FIRESTORM HOLY SHIT)

Heald
20th July 2009, 12:24 PM
Honestly, this movie felt hollow and boring. I felt they glossed over or even failed to cover what I consider important plot-points so they could pursue the absolutely horrible romance stories.

J.K. Rowling cannot write romance for squat, so why concentrate half the movie on what is the book's biggest failing?

Apparently the next book is going to be covered across two films.

Telume
20th July 2009, 01:50 PM
I think the death that seriously pissed me off in Book 7 was Dobby's

God I loved that little elf, he kicked ass and the way he just pwned Lucius in the Chamber of Secrets was just LOL.

It's like "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" and then BOOM hit of magic. That was priceless..

Crystal Mew
20th July 2009, 05:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Merenwen18/icons/screenshot_133p.gif

Since I haven't read this book yet, I can't really compare notes...but to someone who hasn't read all the books I thought it was pretty good :)

dumbledore reminds me of gandalf alot. and unfortunately I knew snape killed dumbledore, seriously who didn't? LOL anyone remember people randomly yelling that in ummmm and in public? good times

Magmar
20th July 2009, 05:12 PM
She has no emotion, no levels, nothing. Just constant emotionless drivel. Case in point, Bellatrix and whosawhatsis attack the Weasley house. Potter, Lupin, Tonks and Ginny pursue, and get surrounded. Notice how the characters are looking panicked and horrified? ...All except Ginny, who appears to be looking around vacantly, occasionally lowering her wand?

Wasn't the Ginny in the books sort-of "just there" too?

WHY DIDN'T THEY MENTION THE HORCRUXES??? Seriously I understand, ok let's cut out the Riddle past etc. but that shit was important! Dumbledore tells Harry that he's looking for Hufflepuff's cup, Nagini, the locket, and possibly an heirloom of Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. Also, what was SUPER important and they cut out with the conversation was that Harry learned in BOOK SIX that the Sword of Gryffindor destroys horcruxes.

Telume
20th July 2009, 05:44 PM

WHY DIDN'T THEY MENTION THE HORCRUXES??? Seriously I understand, ok let's cut out the Riddle past etc. but that shit was important! Dumbledore tells Harry that he's looking for Hufflepuff's cup, Nagini, the locket, and possibly an heirloom of Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. Also, what was SUPER important and they cut out with the conversation was that Harry learned in BOOK SIX that the Sword of Gryffindor destroys horcruxes.

I always make it a point not to watch the movies, I haven't watched a single movie since about the 4th one.

I don't think I've missed anything anyway, have I?

Drago
21st July 2009, 05:52 AM
Character interpretation can't be used as an excuse to justify acting this bad. Nosirree.

I think you misunderstood the ending then. It wasn't like the book with the kickass battle, but it did make sense. Voldemort wants Dumbledore dead, supposedly by Draco. He knows Draco won't be able to do it, so he makes the Death Eaters go along to make sure he is still killed. Once he is dead, their job there is done, and there is no remaining "real" threat to them at Hogwarts for when they return later.
Well, ok... I can kinda accept that, but it still does seem a bit suss to me. I had forgotten that in the next book, the bad guys intend to run Hogwart's (or so to my understanding, I think that's basically it?) so I guess blowing the whole place up to smithereens wouldn't be particularly useful. ...All the same, I still would have appreciated seeing them flee the scene after destroying Hagrid's.

Zak
21st July 2009, 06:13 AM

Not true about the sword, Harry doesn't learn what the sword's purpose is until book seven. When Rufus Scrimgeour (who they ALSO cut out wtf) confiscates the sword Dumbledore left in his will, Harry still doesn't know at the time why he gave him that, and don't forget they bust their balls trying different ways to break the locket once they get their hands on it, and then one of the portraits mentions Dumbledore used the sword to break the ring. The sword isn't mentioned once in book six... or even five for that matter.

But yes, how the hell are they gonna get around not explaining the Horcruxes, that was important, Dumbledore theorizing and the memory of Riddle in that shop. Anyone who hasn't read the book would probably also wonder "okay, this ring apparently was a Horcrux Dumbledore destroyed... I guess I'll take their word for it". Also, his HAND! Where was his black hand, it's important as to why he let Snape kill him.

Gavin Luper
21st July 2009, 10:19 AM
Okay ... I actually thought Half-Blood Prince was the best movie in the series so far.

The opening scene that linked this film with the climax of OOTP was gold, and linking the wizarding and muggle worlds in the opening sequences was really nice, broke the mould a bit of how the films have been lately.

I didn't mind the romantic comedy aspect of the film - actually, I really liked it, the audience was all laughing and enjoying it too. Maybe the biggest surprise was Emma Watson - I usually find that she totally overacts, but in this film, I thought her performance was exceptional. Loved it.

I WAS kind of disappointed with the end, though, too. I was hanging out during the whole movie for the epic battle in Hogwarts between the teachers, aurors and the core DA members (Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville and Luna) and the Death Eaters - and I felt ripped off when it never came. That was probably the most exciting part of the book, the end battle, and it was completely skipped. I much prefer the version where Harry tells Ron and Hermione about Dumbledore's departure and they guard the halls ... blah ... I could rant about this forever. It just made for a pretty anti-climactic ending.

Dumbledore's death could have been done a bit better - more confrontingly.

I thought the reveal of Snape as the HBP was a bit - hollow? Anyone else think the same thing? It was like "okay ... so you're the Half-Blood Prince ... and ...?". The movie didn't build it up like the book did.

I actually liked Bonnie Wright as Ginny. :)

And in regards to plot holes ... I'm starting to wonder if they'll open the 7th film with the funeral scene? It wouldn't surprise me, and I don't think it would really be a bad move, either, from a continuity point of view. I also wouldn't be surprised if the screenwriters created a new scene where, along with Dumbledore's Will, Harry gets some kind of beyond-the-grave note from Dumbledore saying "by the way, these are the Horcruxes you're looking for".

Guess we'll just have to wait and see ... but yeah, despite the final scenes, which I felt were lacking, I enjoyed this film overall more than any of the others so far. The attention to detail was pretty great, I think.

Bring on Deathly Hallows Part I!!!!! Woooooooooooo!

Magmar
21st July 2009, 11:58 AM
I always pictured Lavender Brown to be annoying, but not nearly Ms. Piggy annoying. Was anyone else reminded of Ms. Piggy???

PancaKe
21st July 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm seeing this tomorrow. I reread the HP series , minus book seven, just so I had a clear idea of which things happen in book six. I never really liked book six very much, I guess I just thought itw as a filler. Lots of important things happen, but at the same time, not very much either. I guess it's just going to be irritating waiting for the epic battles, or for things to be explained... And I've had several people who watch the movies but don't read the books ask me what things were missed out on and for explanations on obvious plot holes.

You'd think that they'd just split the movies up a bit more? No reason that they couldn't have made a few extra. They would've made the money.

Zak
21st July 2009, 01:35 PM
DH part one finally comes out right on my birthday. They've always been released either during the summer, or within a day or two from my birthday, finally the release date is on it.

Also, all the stuff they left out, maybe they decided to make DH into two parts at the same time when they decided to leave stuff out of HBP.

Magmar
21st July 2009, 04:48 PM
I just thought your birthday was in July as a result. I remember when HP7 was supposed to come out on 7/7/7, just in time for my 21st birthday! I was SO excited, then PISSED that they moved it to later in the month. Nevertheless, I got drunk for me birthday, then got the book and feasted my eyes on Potter.

Wikipedia was actually informative about why the split is happening: According to Warner Bros. executive Alan F. Horn it will allow "an extra hour and a half to celebrate what this franchise has been and do justice to all the words and ideas in the amazing story."

Edit: Sorry Katie, but it seems Bonnie Wright RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!! dun dun dunnnnnn

Dark Sage
21st July 2009, 07:57 PM
For everyone who thought that the movie left too much out, let me explain something...

The book was over five-hundred pages long. You cannot expect everything in it to be put into a two-hour film.

Even Peter Jackson couldn't do it. The weakest part of Return of the King was likely the ending, because he tried to make it too complete, and still didn't succeed.

The movie version is never as good as the book. Most everyone agrees on that fact.

Pichu Luver
27th July 2009, 10:45 PM
Spoilers for Book 7

Generally I thought the movie was good though yeah many plot holes that I hope they explain for the non-reader in the next two. Otherwise confusion will abound Oo...

I thought the scene in the Burrow where everyone was confused whether Harry was there or not was great. Interestingly shot and funny lines. ^^ Anyone know why they randomly moved it to the middle of field/swamp though? While I can understand for cinematic purposes to destroy the Burrow and keep interest I suppose that means the wedding is out of the next movie. Which means it's unlikely they'll meet Luna's father who explained the Hallows. So I guess Hermione will figure it out via the book only.

I did like the teen romance stuff cause hey it did make me laugh. Perhaps they should not have raised it to the level they did (importance wise) but with all the dark, evil, 'lurk lurk I'm gunna get you' there has to be some lighter moments.

I thought Ginny could have been a bit more lively but I don't think she was horrid. Based on the previous movies she didn't have much of part and the only lines she had were after the battle or normal chit chat. It would be weird to make her much more lively when she hasn't been thus far. *Shrugs *And if she did have a part in an action scene that consisted of more then one line... well I forgot.

Luna is FTW. Loved her. XD 'Specially the line about toes and noses not being much different. Lol.

Fenrir was also great. Didn't say anything but he was what I pictured anyway.

Amusing in the 'not supposed to be' way was Lupin and Tonks. It was like, oh BTW these two are together. I think Tonks said sweetheart once when leaving the Burrow before it explodes which might have confused people a tad. Heh.

I WAS kind of disappointed with the end, though, too. I was hanging out during the whole movie for the epic battle in Hogwarts between the teachers, aurors and the core DA members (Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville and Luna) and the Death Eaters - and I felt ripped off when it never came.

Well... Harry wasn't really a part of it. Ginny explains what happened I think or someone does anyway... Harry didn't fight (just kept people off his back). Since the movie is about Harry and that part of the book he's just running after Snape and Draco (yelling some), that eats unnecessary screen time. Yeah it's irritating but in the aftermath only Bill's hurt badly and they cut him out thus... no need. Just have crazy wacko women destroy shiz and people get the point. Though perhaps Snape or someone should have said something along the lines of 'it's done, time to leave.' Then it would have been clear(er) they were only there to kill Dumbledore.

I think they'll open with the funeral too. Then they can show the wand being buried with Dumbledore. Rufus will probably be intro'd with the will stuff (he is in the 7th, he's been cast).

Harry bugged the shit out of me though, every time he tries to laugh it's just creepy . . . Maybe he's just weird looking but it was disturbing to me.

Yeah it is a bit odd. From what I remember I don't think his upper lip moves much when he smiles/laughs.

The thing that bugged me was how is Harry supposed to remember the Ravenclaw's tiara when he never even got to see it? Ginny hid the book so... what? Will she remember seeing it randomly? Arg.... I liked that about the books how seemingly inconsequential things can have so much importance. ¬¬''' Although yeah, no mention about the other Horcruxes was very idiotic considering they also have to mention/explain the Hallows. For the finally battle to make any amount of sense anyway.

Oh and how Harry twitched when he touched the ring also irked me. If the soul is gone then there shouldn't have been a reaction. Not to mention it gives away the key point of the end of the seventh book. If they had explained the Horcruxes they wouldn't have need that 'hook' to pull people back for the next one er... two. Arg. --'

Also, his HAND! Where was his black hand, it's important as to why he let Snape kill him.

His hand was black, Harry asked about it (when they were outside Slughorn's I believe). Though it wasn't until the end of the seventh that it was explained.

Yes there was lots of ranting in this post but I do like the movie. I just hope they explain the stuff they left out in this one in the next two, so it makes sense. I know movies are never as good as the book but confused non-readers is not going to help sell it either.

Katie
29th July 2009, 11:00 AM
For everyone who thought that the movie left too much out, let me explain something...

The book was over five-hundred pages long. You cannot expect everything in it to be put into a two-hour film.

When a 500 page book has 3-4 major subplots and you focus the most time on the stupidest one (love stories instead of the title's plot or OVERALL SERIES PLOT) and throw the other ones in as an afterthought, we have every right to criticize.

Unfortunately a very large chunk of their audience hasn't read the books, nor remembers much about the previous movies, so they had to pick a subplot that required no back story and was "funny" to win over the "ooh shiny; magic lol!" crowd. It has nothing to do with the book's length and everything to do with money grabs. :/

PancaKe
29th July 2009, 12:02 PM
I did expect more.

It wasn't terrible. I don't remember them ever burning down the burrow in the books though, which made me frustrated. However, now I can continue reading Deathly Hallows in peace, and enjoy the fact that things will always be better in my mind than on screen.

Telume
29th July 2009, 12:30 PM
Amen to that. Books > Movies based on them. End of story.

Magmar
30th July 2009, 01:57 PM
Alohomora Harry Potter, how goes it today? Where's your mum and dad Harry Potter? Oh wait, Voldemort killed your mum and dad, that's so sad Harry Potter, I could cry for you... well I really must be going Harry, crucio old chap, crucio.

Dark Scizor
19th August 2009, 04:38 PM
Emma Watson - would smash.

Not a lot happened, book was better, still enjoyed the movie.

Mr. Brightside
3rd September 2009, 04:01 PM
I enjoyed the movie. In my opinion it was a lot better than the 5th one although there were way too many holes. They did not mentioned anything about Fenrir, Lupin and Tonks, the Horcruxes and most important they didn't even bother to show something related about Snape. People who have never read the book are confused about the title of the movie. Half blood prince, yeah so? One of my friends was like "yeah Snape is Half blood prince..., and..?"

What is more annoying is that they changed even little things. Harry and co. climbing roofs to eavesdrop instead of using the invisibility cloak? Rainy day when Bellatrix and Narcissa visit Snape when in the book was night? Narcissa not even bothering crying as in the book? Yeah, she shed a tear, so?

As for the Burrow scene it was added because they wanted to show that the world was in danger and not even safe places like the Burrow are safe. Though the final battle at Hogwarts was there to show the exact same thing, but no they had to add a new scene to make it clear. Seriously that scen ruined the ending climax for me. The whole story is supposed to calm till the end with the Inferi, the battle and Dumbledore's death, which by the way it seemed a bit lame. I was expecting to feel the same emotions as when i read the book but it was so... I don't know, i feel more like i want to cry when i watch Cedric's death in the 4th movie than watching Dumbledore falling from the tower and vice versa in the books.

But, yeah if you remove those parts it was a very good film.

Finally, about Bill, he will have his scars in the next film (we've seen pics) so i guess Fenrir will attack him at the wedding scene.