PDA

View Full Version : Back from Orientation

Houndoom_Lover
24th July 2009, 01:16 PM
Golly Gosh that may be spelled wrong. I'm sooooo sleepy!It was fun I guess, as fun as being jostled against complete strangers, expect to make quick and zippy friendship with people you may never see again in your colldge career and stuff.

But Madison is super pretty. It was a two day thing were they make you sleep in a dorm room and get your schedual ready for the first semerster. Pfft...Um, yeah, that's it. I'm back...

But I'll be leaving for a camping trip at 5:00. I is a sleepy walrus.

Telume
24th July 2009, 05:08 PM
Orientation is pretty useless IMO, you can learn more about where you're going by just touring it yourself.

And yeah, half the crap they tell you about you may or may not use it (depending on your major).

And if the college or university has more than 1 campus, then it's even more unlikely.

MToolen
24th July 2009, 10:59 PM
Agreed. I'm a commuting student and a good three-fourths of the lectures during orientation were about dorm living. But college is a great experience. I'm a music major so I got squared off into my own little building along with the other music majors. Since I have class with mostly the same pool of 50-200 musicians, I got to know names and faces really well. Oh, and have a fun camping trip.

Houndoom_Lover
25th July 2009, 02:26 PM
I did have fun on the camping trip and while the university living stuff wasn't anything you couldn't do by yourself, I wouldn't have passed up for the motivational speakers for the world.

That and I got my classes schedualed.

Telume
28th July 2009, 01:21 AM
Usually if you go to 1 campus for a while and you have the same major as people you'll get to see some faces pretty often.

My college has 9 campuses and usually I see a lot of my friends at the campus, but, next semester I'm changing campuses so for me it's going to be like the first day of school all over again.

In contrast I'm taking a few classes at the campus I took classes at this summer, and a few of my friends have already told me that next semester they're taking that same cass.

So yeah generally when you have similar majors you tend to bump into people you know a LOT. Especially when you're at the same campus.

RedStarWarrior
28th July 2009, 01:36 AM
My Orientation was called Preview. We got to stay in dorms and everything...fucking boring.

Magmar
31st July 2009, 11:29 AM
I was an orientation leader at my school. It's super-fun at RIC! Of course there are those anti-social prats who hate everything and thus hate orientation.

I got fired for being part of a shitshow party in the dorms on the last day :)

Telume
31st July 2009, 02:42 PM
Btw Houndoom_Lover, have you picked out your classes yet? :P

Houndoom_Lover
3rd August 2009, 01:15 PM
Yeppers!! ^w^ *goes to get my time slot*

Pfft, okay, I can't find it.

But Monday at a horrible 8:55 I have maditory math because I'm bad at it.

And then I don't have class again until like 12 or 2 and that's Japanese, and then I have Art 20th century History that I'm keen for. Tuesday I have Writing Workshop at noon or at two, and then Gobal Society class sometime that day, I think.

And then Wednesday I have a Math lab at 11 something -_- I need to take both those classes of math so I can take a math class that'll count towards my depolma. Yaaay.

Thursay I do Math again, Japanese, and Freshman orination class.

And then Friday I have Writing Workshop, Gobal thing again and that's it ^_^

That's right is, if I made a mistake, I'll fix it when I find my school calander. Snerf! Everything is everywhere because we're moving ^-^

Telume
3rd August 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm glad all my classes are in the afternoon or at night next semester...

Lets see:

1:20 to 3:00 - CSS and HTML on Mondays and Wednesdays

5:40 to 9:00 - Java Programming on Monday

5:40 to 9:00 - PHP and MySQL on Wednesday

I might switch it up 'cause I do want something on Tuesdays and Thursdays D:

Houndoom_Lover
3rd August 2009, 04:18 PM
I wish I could have night classes. They said they offered the, then gave us a lists of classes we could choose from. In thoery, if we don't drop out first semester, we can pick anything we want in the second one.

:3 I plan to never wake up before Ten am again. Oh, Telume, what are you majoring in. All that is very computery!

DarkestLight
3rd August 2009, 04:21 PM
Oh, Telume, what are you majoring in. All that is very computery!

Can't you tell? Double major in Dance and Sociology.

EDIT: RUINED THE JOKE BY SECONDS!!!!!!! SECONDS DAMNIT!

Telume
3rd August 2009, 04:21 PM
I'm majoring in Internet Services technology.

Currently I have 12 credits, I'm debating taking the 4th one which is Operating System Principles

Computer classes tend to be real heavy on the lab work.

Houndoom_Lover
3rd August 2009, 08:24 PM
XD Hahahaha, you guys are wooty :3

HRhm, what'll you end up being when they hand you your deploma?

How many credits do I have...*counts* I have 15 without the math. They don't count towards my deploma -_- I wanna cram as many credits as I can. Hopefully I can keep up with the work.

Computer relative anything looks heavy.

Telume
3rd August 2009, 11:42 PM
When they hand me my degree, I'll keep going.

I want a Bachelor's and maybe further.

And usually most people stick to 12-15. Any higher is just nuts. It's not impossible, but, you'll find out that 4 or more classes especially those that have to do with your major are too much work for you to take more than 3 (which is 12 credits).

That's why most people just take 3-4. It also depends on how much the classes are worth because some are worth 3 others are worth 4. Usually the Gen Ed. crap is worth 3 and the Major requirements are with 4 so you can kind of use that as your scale.

Oh and 1 more thing. If the class has is a 1000 level course (I dunno if they use that system in your school, I know in mine they do.) then it usually counts towards your degree. Anything with 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 and so on are college/university level classes.

If it has something like 0024 or something then that's probably a remedial or a non-college level course that you need to take.

Houndoom_Lover
4th August 2009, 01:48 PM
Hrm. There's just so much I want to do. And they make so much maditory that'll take up a whole year.

After I have a semsters of prep. Math for el Math retardo here. (Its not that I'm bad at it, its just I never cared for it, there fore never waste valuable thinking time on it. :3 What joy!), I have to take a real math. I still need to take one social class and one un-literature humani- No! I have that!

My minor will be Pyscology...so I'll be taking that. And I need a gym, and to take the other four global classes. ^w^ Maybe then I'll travel abrode. To Germany of Japan, depending how I do in it.

There's just so much. I'm really rather nervous. Any tips anyone? I start August 30th!

Telume
4th August 2009, 05:12 PM
First tip: Never rely on academic advisors for anything you can do yourself.

I'm not saying don't rely on them at all, but, in general they're usually useless. Best people to talk to about options for a major are the professors themselves, especially if they're the heads of departments. They know much better than the advisors what's going on in their department. If you're REALLY in doubt though, then yeah I suggest an advisor. They may not pick stuff for you outright but they CAN push you in the right direction. Some do register you though and I suggest watching out for these since they may stick you in a timeslot or with a professor you may not like.

Next tip: Never pick anything just for the money.

Programs *USUALLY* have a sheet of the requirements you need to get the degree, this is why the internet is your best friend. Just go to the website and look up the sheet, then pick the stuff you want yourself (this is as far as classes go). And for major-picking, the best thing to do is to go with something you like. Not just because you want to make money. If you pick it because it makes a lot of money you'll get eaten ALIVE. Worst major to pick especially for the money is anything in the medical field.

Another tip: Make some connections.

Make some friends in the offices and stuff (professors too). Buddies in the office are always nice to have because they usually skip you in front of EVERYONE when it comes to waiting to see a Financial Aid advisor or an Academic one or any of those generally blargh services you have to wait in line for. Professors are good for the low-down on what's going on around the school or campus. And they generally know first what's going to happen in the next semester. Another thing is that a professor who is a department head can OVERRIDE you into a class that's full, which is why it's good to have them as buddies. Especially if you were a good student.

Last tip: Ratemyprofessor.com is your BEST FRIEND.

Happens everytime, you're new, you don't know the professors. You have no connections practically so as far as picking classes go you're on your own. So how do you find out if a professor is good or bad? Ratemyprofessor.com. Just find your school and look up the professor and it will tell you.

My advice with this is simple, if the professor has a 3.5 or higher in the ratings chances are he/she is a good professor. 3-3.4 is okay anything below 2 is generally a bad omen. 4 and 5 are excellent (obviously).

That's about all the advice I can give and I'm pretty sure some people will find SOME flaws in my arguments, but, oh well not everyone can agree with a person.

Houndoom_Lover
4th August 2009, 08:32 PM
Worst major to pick especially for the money is anything in the medical field.

My family is still angry that I didn't go to medical school. I told them four years ago I wasn't gunna go unless the health care system straightened itself up. It didn't. The money was aluring, but in the end my love of freedom and lazyness won. :3

owo Ratemyprofessor.com...no way. The internet is SO cool.

Thanks for all the tips. They'll come in handy. I'll try to make connections. I have great people skills, even though I prefer to chill by myself.

Any advisor I've ever had let me down. Hopefully, I'll get buddy with a Prof. and they'll hook me up with a publishing company....:3 Yeah

Telume
4th August 2009, 08:47 PM
My mom practically raged when I told her I didn't want to do anything medicine-related. Because I spend enough time on the comp as it is. But I'm a geek, what can I say.

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 10:17 AM
Oh man, my Mom shot down ever major I ever thought of. But then again, she didn't even want me to go. The rest of my family were like "Pharamacy! Go! Surgain, go!" And whatnot.

And I do like that stuff, I was just- blug, you know? I feel like I could go more could spreading joy through art. ^w^

You'll be making way more money in the land you're in now though o.o You'll have like an insta-job depending where you live

Telume
5th August 2009, 12:58 PM
Well, I can't say I'll have an insta-job. But a lot of people will be looking to hire in what I major in. Since they need everyone they can get. Those jobs are in high demand, yes.

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 01:14 PM
I love chatting about peoples majors.

There won't br crazy hiring from me, by I plan to just live day by day and see what happens. If I get published and hit is big, I won't have to worry about money while doing what I like to do ^-^

Telume
5th August 2009, 03:31 PM
You like writing I'm guessing?

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 03:34 PM
I sure do ^_^ I like all that sorta artsy stuff, like ya know. But I like writing the best.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th August 2009, 08:35 PM
You could probably do some of my assignments then Houndy, at the moment I can't seem to write. Thursdays kill me at uni 9-12 then 1-3 especially when I have trouble waking up at 11.

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 08:38 PM
Can you do math? ^w^ I'll do work for ya if you get some of my future mathwork done.

I plan to sink my teeth into a math kid in exchange for my other skillz ^w^

Crazy Elf Boy
5th August 2009, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately, Maths doesn't interest me that much but if you need help on anything realted to Anthropological Studies/Semiotics/Japanese then I can do that.

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 09:07 PM
I aaaam taking Japanese ^_^ All I have to do is polish my German, make my Spanish and French better, and learn some Chinese...Maybe some Italian, some Latin. Maybe some African languages I'll be happy with my language knowledge.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th August 2009, 09:18 PM
Wow that sounds like a bit of a handful you want to be like Daniel Jackson or James Bond and be fluent in like 50 languages or something?

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 09:21 PM
Damn straight! I want to be more than a jack-of-all-trades, I want to be a Master ^_^. I know sign language too. German and English. Which you know...is useful.

Actually, my inspiration was John St. Germaine to do so. I've been striving to master langauage ever since.

My spelling is slowly going down hill as the night progesses ^-^

Crazy Elf Boy
5th August 2009, 09:32 PM
I am just not sure how anyone can learn all those languages, I mean Japanese is hard enough for me with all the bloody 5000 kanji, of which I probs need to leanr at least 2000.

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 09:37 PM
Once you have the basics, you really can do anything. The problem I have with German is that I can't speak it very well. I need to improve on that. I know enough Japanese to hold a coveration, but find it hard to write it. Weird stuff like that. I'm pretty sure I have delexia (<-?) >w< And I can write a few thing and speak in french, though I get my tenses mixed up. And Spanish..."Do you have a pencil?" I'm bad. And I'm pretty good at latin...Yeah.

I have lots to get working on!

Crazy Elf Boy
5th August 2009, 09:42 PM
Man I wish I could do so many languages at the same time, how long have you been studying Japanese for?

Houndoom_Lover
5th August 2009, 09:47 PM
I'll be starting hardcore when school starts, but last summer I started dabbling in it. I know useful phrases like..."It is raining." "Can you point to me bathroom" "Is this for sale?" "My name is..." "Do you speak English?" But that's about it.

Fun fact- I learned to say "It is raining." first