PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO Last day of summer classes

Telume
29th July 2009, 01:01 AM
Last day of summer class, yaaaaaay.

Now I have NO IDEA what I should do for the next uhh..... *checks*... month.

Any ideas? No fires please.

Blademaster
29th July 2009, 06:25 AM
Now I have NO IDEA what I should do for the next uhh..... *checks*... month.

Any ideas?

*opens mouth to speak*

No fires please.

*closes mouth and leaves*

Katie
29th July 2009, 10:50 AM
get a job

I still have a little under 2 weeks :( but then I will be done with my minor :3

Telume
29th July 2009, 12:28 PM
Problem with a job is that if I get one they'll start taking away from my Financial Aid.
Which is why I'm waiting to get my A.S. to see if I can get a paid internship or apprenticeship with a company and continue my studies at the same time.

It's also 'cause the jobs they offer the 18-25 year olds are complete and utter shit. Plus I already tried a job, I didn't like it AT ALL. (I worked at Walgreens, it sucked.)

And apparently Blademaster had an idea, but it involved FIRES >:O

Katie
29th July 2009, 05:55 PM
Problem with a job is that if I get one they'll start taking away from my Financial Aid.
Which is why I'm waiting to get my A.S. to see if I can get a paid internship or apprenticeship with a company and continue my studies at the same time.

It's also 'cause the jobs they offer the 18-25 year olds are complete and utter shit. Plus I already tried a job, I didn't like it AT ALL. (I worked at Walgreens, it sucked.)

:054: There are so many things backwards with your thought process so I'll just leave it at a hearty "fuck you" from all of the people working their asses off to pay through school, but I'll bring up one point: employers will wonder about periods of unemployment, especially times when you're not in school. Besides, get a job where your friends work and make fun of the terrible customers and management together.

Otherwise, I guess you could sit around in your underwear watching anime and eating doritos if you want.

DarkestLight
29th July 2009, 06:10 PM
Wait what did I read that right? Cut ito FA if you get a Summer Job? Whoa times changed :O I never had that problem :O.

Houndoom_Lover
29th July 2009, 06:16 PM
Otherwise, I guess you could sit around in your underwear watching anime and eating doritos if you want.

I second that! ^w^

Telume
29th July 2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah if you get a job outside school you kind of have to report it to the IRS. And in turn you kind of have to report it on your FAFSA.

I don't think it'd be a big cut but I'd still be losing out, I might lose my eligibility for certain grants.

Besides, I got offered a job for 20-25 dollars an hour a year ago, only reason I didn't get it is because the person pulling the strings for me was unable to get in touch with the person offering it.

Plus it was an in school job, which for some reason they don't seem to mind. (I guess it makes sense with the whole Work-Study thing)

It would've been nice, it was a Database Admin Apprenticeship. And I have done a little dabbling in Database programming.

And to counter Katie, I'm only 20 years old myself, the jobs they offer down here in Miami aren't enough to pay my way through school.

Katie
30th July 2009, 12:21 AM
It's not "job = no financial aid" and "no job = financial aid" like you're implying. I've worked every break from school and have 8k in subsidized loans. I'm curious as to your definition of financial aid, or what it's for though.

Telume
30th July 2009, 01:03 AM
I don't depend on loans, I depend on the FAFSA.

And everything I do work-wise, I have to tell them.

Angel Blossom
30th July 2009, 09:45 AM
So you're saying that you'd pass up the opportunity for paid work and experience in order to leech off the teet of society? o.o

I agree with Katie. That's really fudged up. X_x;; Especially considering you're 22....

Kirby
30th July 2009, 11:30 AM

What exactly are you majoring in and planning to do after graduating from college?

Crystal Mew
30th July 2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah I'm not seeing what the big deal is about working while you're in school. So what if you have to report it to the IRS..you dont want to pay taxes or something?

And even if you did work...you probably won't earn enough this year to take away from your financial aid. I should know, I filled out a fafsa and I qualified for grants because I didnt make enough last year, but I still worked the entire year of 2008

Are you sure you really looked into all of this before assuming things? lol

well anyways, I'd find a good book to read

Weasel Overlord
30th July 2009, 12:20 PM
There's not really much point getting a job just for a month, is there? Not many places are willing to take you on for so little time - I know that I had trouble finding one even for like, 2 or 3 months. They just don't want to train you up for whatever it might be only to have you leave after a month or two.

I say bum around. :D Always in favour of bumming around, me. You could try and get some unpaid work shadowing experience? You know, where you contact people in the field you wanna work in and ask them if you can follow their people around/lurk in their building for a day and observe what's going on. Plus that sort of stuff looks good on a CV (or resume, whatever you Americans call them). Bosses like it - shows initiative.

Summer's meant to be holidays though. I still say do some bumming around. Enjoy not having classes for once. :)

Blademaster
30th July 2009, 07:30 PM
So you're saying that you'd pass up the opportunity for paid work and experience in order to leech off the teet of society? o.o

Bah. What's society ever done for me?

Leech, Telume! LEECH EVERY LAST PENNY YOU CAN GET!!!!11!1 :cawg:

Telume
30th July 2009, 09:43 PM
X_X I'm not 22, I'm 20.

But yeah, I don't live by myself either. I live with my parents.

And thanks for the vote of confidence Blademaster XD

@ Kirby: I currently major in Internet Services Technology. Which is an Assoc. in Science. Once I graduate I do plan on finding an internship or apprenticeship and gain some real world knowledge while continuing onward to probably get a Bachelor's.

My advisor just told me not be in such a rush to finish since my college is expanding its computer opportunities.

Currently most computer majors are only 2 years but a couple are going to be expanding to 4 soon enough. Which is kind of what I'm hoping for.

Katie
30th July 2009, 10:29 PM
I don't depend on loans, I depend on the FAFSA.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (known as the FAFSA) is a form that can be filled out annually by current and anticipating college students (both undergraduate and graduate) in the United States to determine their eligibility for federal student financial aid (including Pell grants, Stafford loans, PLUS loans, and work-study programs).

So basically, you depend on grants, strings-free money that is intended to help people attend college who wouldn't be able to without them. Who usually work in conjunction with them anyway. I highly doubt whatever minimum wage job you get will affect it much if at all, honestly you'll probably make tons more from the job than what you "lose" in grants.

As for the month thing, most young people quit jobs rather quickly anyway. I had no problem getting a job for the month left of summer, and when fall starts I'm cutting my hours down to 1-2 days a week.

P.S. Based on your major I will give you $20 to put "sat on internet all day all summer as work experience" on your resume.

P.P.S Holy crap it's Kris! HI!!!

Angel Blossom
31st July 2009, 06:33 AM
Hi Katie!

So much has changed at TPM. Not as bustling as it used to be, eh? ^^"

Zak
31st July 2009, 06:45 AM
Hey Kris! :eek:

shazza
31st July 2009, 09:21 AM
Hi Kris!

Magmar
31st July 2009, 11:19 AM
Guys, I work full time and have worked up to THREE JOBS at a time, and still get full financial aid. The pennies that college students scrape (and trust me I know all about that) aren't nearly enough to knock your eligibility for financial assistance.

Telume
31st July 2009, 02:40 PM
Magmar: Do you live with your parents or by yourself?

Crystal Mew
1st August 2009, 01:26 AM
Hi Kris!!!!!

Magmar
1st August 2009, 10:26 AM
Magmar: Do you live with your parents or by yourself?

I have an apartment :) I've been independent since I was 17. Like I was still in high school and living across the country from my parents.

Telume
1st August 2009, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure living with my parents kind of affects that as well.

I'm not independent just yet.