PDA

View Full Version : New Alice in Wonderland film; What's your opinion?

Dark Sage
29th July 2009, 05:12 PM
I suppose everyone here has seen the trailer that was shown at the San Diego ComicsCom for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland staring Johnny Depp that will debut next March. (I'd post a link, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do so.)

What's your opinion? Tim Burton's movies are... unusual at best, but the story he's trying to tell is unusual no matter who tells it.

So, what are your plans?

Houndoom_Lover
29th July 2009, 05:14 PM
I'm looking forward to it, because I'm like the Mad Hatter when it comes to it, really. Regardless of whoes dirtecting it.

^w^

But are like Tim Burton and Johnny Depp engaged? He's in just about every moive the man directs.

Dark Sage
29th July 2009, 05:16 PM
Burton is married, and his real-life wife is playing the Queen of Hearts in the film. So no, they aren't engaged.

Blademaster
29th July 2009, 09:18 PM
^Dark Sage fails at recognizing sarcasm.

In any event, Depp fucking sucked in the Willy Wonka remake. I'm not trusting him anywhere NEAR Wonderland. One vote for 'no' please.

Asilynne
29th July 2009, 10:15 PM
Five bucks says Danny Elfman is doing the music~~~~ they have a nice little threesome going on XD nah but yeah Id like to see it, Blade knows what hes talking about with Willy Wonka though, Depp managed to ruin one of my fave movies (GENE WILDER FOR LIFE!!!)

Dark Sage
30th July 2009, 04:12 AM
I agree that Gene Wilder made a much better Willy Wonka than Johnny Depp, but Burton and Depp have made a few good projects. Edward Scissorhands was pretty decent.

Blademaster
30th July 2009, 05:46 AM
Edward Scissorhands was a fine movie, yes. But it was a very different genre. It was serious, dark, and portrayed Depp in a role more suited for him. Willy Wonka and Alice and Wonderland, on the other hand, are fantasy. OLD fantasy, at that. That means lighthearted, whimsical, and child-friendly in between whatever few mindfucks get slipped in like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's tunnel boat ride from Hell. Now I have nothing personally against Johnny Depp. He's done some phenomenal work, especially in the past several years. But putting him in a movie like this... No. I'm sorry, but it'd be like casting 1980's Arnold Schwarzenegger instead of Jim Carrey as the live-action Grinch: It's hilariously awful at best and a total tank at worst.

Dark Sage
30th July 2009, 08:47 AM
Ironically, Blade, many people didn't like the live action version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas for that very reason. They thought that they had taken a "lighthearted, whimsical, and child-friendly" fairy tale and made it too dark.

And by the way, if you have ever read the original book by Lewis Carroll, you'd see that it isn't very lighthearted and child-friendly. Whimsical, yes, but it is downright creepy at times. In other words, this is the kind of surreal, bizarre story that Burton could make a masterpiece of film out of, because, well, that's what he specializes in.

I have no idea why I'm defending this movie when all I've seen is a two-minute trailer. But I will say that I have high hopes for it. If anything, Depp looks pretty cool in his Mad Hatter costume.

Weasel Overlord
30th July 2009, 09:33 AM
Just from looking at the pre-release images I've seen, I am so looking forward to seeing this. Admittedly, as soon as I heard Tim Burton was doing it I nearly died from the squee, hehe, but yeah.

I think he'll do an amazing job of it. Alice in Wonderland is a crazy-weird book to begin with (although I always preferred Through the Looking-Glass, personally) - and the Jabberwocky is pure terror, I always thought.

I heard that Alan Rickman is being the Caterpillar, so HURRAH for that! I can't imagine anyone better for that part. XD And omg Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat!! ♥♥ So much love.

(As for the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory argument: Burton did a better job of staying accurate to the books, so I preferred his film to the original.)

Dark Sage
30th July 2009, 09:42 AM
(although I always preferred Through the Looking-Glass, personally)

Well, this movie seems to combine elements of both of Carroll's books. Characters in this film include the White Queen (who looks far more attractive than the one in Tenniel's illustrations) and Tweedledum and Tweedledee (who look pretty much like their old selves), all of whom were in Through the Looking Glass.

And who knows? The Jabberwock may indeed make an appearance...

Weasel Overlord
30th July 2009, 10:50 AM
Oooh, I'd LOVE to see the Jabberwock! That'd be totally epic. :D

I really like the look of Tweedledum and Tweedledee in the trailer (I've actually seen it now). I do remember Looking-Glass being more surreal than Wonderland.

Kirby
30th July 2009, 11:34 AM
I think Alice looks too old.

As long as they don't cut out the allusions to drugs I'm okay with the film.

Dark Sage
30th July 2009, 11:38 AM

As long as they don't cut out the allusions to drugs I'm okay with the film.

This is Tim Burton, remember? All of his movies look like they were made by someone who was high.

Seriously, the Caterpillar might have the hookah, or he might not... He had it in the Disney cartoon version, after all. It's all touch and go at this point.

Weasel Overlord
30th July 2009, 12:11 PM

But her dress is to die for.

Telume
30th July 2009, 09:50 PM
Man, personally I think live action remakes of ANYTHING are horrible.

I seriously cringed when I saw the Dragonball remake. I pray to fuck they don't do Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz live-action because if they do that will seriously make me want to strangle something.

Transformers was probably the ONLY exception to the whole live-action sucks deal.