PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 NFL Season! (Archive)

Master Rudy
30th July 2009, 12:24 AM
Well it's not up yet but seeing as we're about to start the preseason shortly I figured what better time to get this yearly topic up and running. You guys know the drill. Talk about your favorite team, games each week, ect.

While I like both Cincy and the Jets first and formost I'm a Jets fan. While the blame game can go a million different direction about the way last season ended I must say I was disappointed when Favre retired what I'm thinking to be for good following last season. We had a strong start with him leading and the surprise of Brady being knocked out for the year in the first game. That being said I'm glad the Jets picked up Mark Sanchez in the draft. With Farve retired that was something we were in desperate need for. Hopefully things will turn out very well if Sanchez becomes the starting QB like everyone is thinking.

As for the Bengals I don't really know what to make of them yet. Since their playoff season they've slowly been going downhill. Personally I think Marvin Lewis will be looking at his last season as the head coach if they put out another poor season.

Ok guys.....time to discuss ^_~

EDIT-And no your eyes do not deceive you. I posted in Jets forest green as opposed to my standard orange I use in honor of the Mets. As I said aside from the final games last year the Jets had a nice season I think. Hopefully we'll see the playoffs this year.

Mr.E
30th July 2009, 03:54 AM
FOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLL

loljets

Bear
30th July 2009, 08:05 AM
Steelers had the hardest schedule in the league last year and won the Super Bowl. This year they have one of the easiest....

Knowing the Steelers though, they'll find some dumb way to play down to their opponents and not make the SB again. They do have a good shot at going 16-0 though, as their only formidable opponent is the Titans. The Ravens are no longer a threat, the Chargers can be easily shut down, and the rest of the teams don't even merit a mention. My actual prediction for my men in black and gold: 14-2, first seed, win divisional playoff, lose championship game by a small margin. Poor Steelers, I love them for life but they have a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Drago
30th July 2009, 08:34 AM
You're damned skippy the Titans are formidable Bear, and my boys in blue will be more than happy to start the Steelers' season off on a losing note; consider it the rematch that should have happened in the playoffs last year, had it not been for those horrible redzone blunders against the Ravens. Seriously, watching that last pass hit the ground to seal the Titans' defeat was a surreal feeling for me.

But enough about that. All across the boards, the analysts who hadn't considered the Titans a threat before last season began are still dismissing them due to the loss of Albert Haynesworth. Personally, I was more bummed about losing Chris Carr. Yeah I know, Albert can be the most dominant DT in the league. But up until two years ago, he was an inconsistent face-stomper who looked like one of the biggest wasted talents in the league. The d-line is going to suffer, no doubt about that, but give Jason Jones some time to figure out the game and he'll be able to pick up the slack quite nicely.
Besides, Tony Brown is an under-appreciated talent; it's not his fault that the defence fell apart whenever Al was absent. It was just a missing cog causing them strife; now that they'll have a future without that cog, they'll be adjusted accordingly.

Pair that with a stellar outside linebacker duo, a competent Tulloch in the middle, Finnegan the unburnable on one side and an aging but still ok Harper on the other, plus the BEST DAMN SAFETIES IN FOOTBALL, and the analysts will be proven wrong. Again.

What do I predict for the '09 Titans? Not another division title, unfortunately. Not enough wheels have fallen off the Colts' machine yet for them to completely self-destruct; a future without Dungy could be dire, but Mike Tomlin didn't miss a beat after years of Cowher... and besides, even losers like Norv Turner inherit one year's good grace before their coaching futility shines through. The Dolts are bound to hit salary-cap hell soon, but until that time, the Titans will need to simply work their ground game and stay consistent.

Wild-card entry, I call. 11-5 for Tennessee. I'll be happy to be proven wrong however; last year I called 7-9, thinking they would have tailed off a little after an inconsistent 10-6 finish in '07. What I got instead was a division title and the league's best record, plus a franchise-record win streak to open the season. Great stuff.

I'm dreadful at picking Superbowls... Last year, I think I was halfway there; I got Pittsburgh right. This year, I really don't know... I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts somehow snuck their way in (eww), but I won't pick that...

I'll go...
Falcons vs. Patriots

I wasn't actually going to go with the Patriots, but upon reflection, the might of the AFC is really starting to wear down, and other than the Pats, Titans and Steelers, there really isn't anyone in the AFC worth mentioning.

Master Rudy
30th July 2009, 03:19 PM
Hmm......with Drago calling the Super Bowl I think I'll do the same. Going off last year I'll say it right now. If the Pats get in not only will I be extremely surprised but I'll also be extremely pissed. Granted being a Jets fan I'm biased but let's look at what happened to Brady last year. For him to be out a whole season you know it was a very serious hit and sometimes it can take awhile to really recover fully off something like that. To this day I'm still surprised that Carson Palmer did as well as he did the year following his playoff injury. In fact I found it funny that he was almost voted Comeback Player of the Year in 2006. When that news broke our local radio announcer even said "Comback? Where'd he go?" lol

In any case based on performances of last year I'll call it and say the Cards and the 'Phins. Arizona was a big surprise last year and if it wasn't for bad playcalling (waits for James and Sarah to bomb him here) I honestly think they would have won. Miami was a big surprise. To go from 1-15 to 11-5 is a big improvement. However this all depends on Chad Pennington. While he's a good QB I was happy to see him leave New York since he tends to be one that crumbles under pressure

Mr.E
1st August 2009, 10:31 PM
What you meant to say was the Dallas GREATboys would win the Super Bowl, yes?

Carson Palmer is an extremely overrated P.O.Mediocrity and Pennington is way better than the garbage benchwarmers he left behind in New York. The Jets needed a scapegoat for their underachieving instead of just admitting they sucked. I like Pennington. Not sure why, probably just because nobody ever thinks of him as a good QB when he really is.

Refs had the hardest schedule in the league last year and won the Super Bowl. This year they have one of the easiest....

oh okay thanks for the insight

Of course, the Ravens are more of a threat than they've been in years and there's really no reason to complain about "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" when your team has won the most Super Bowls.

Jeff
1st August 2009, 11:17 PM
The Ravens are still a formidable force. The loss of their defensive coordinator means very little considering the real power behind their awesome defense is still with the team, and his name is Ray Lewis. Sure he's starting to get up there in years, but it's his leadership that's driven the team's defense. Add on to that the fact that Harbaugh and Flacco both have a year's experience under their belts, not to mention the fact that after being defeated three times by the Steelers last year you know they'll be out for blood this time around. So yeah, Rex Ryan or no Rex Ryan the Ravens will certainly pose a threat to the Steelers this season, or anyone else for that matter.

MToolen
2nd August 2009, 12:57 AM
You see, this is the one sport my city can't get right. Our baseball team is perennially good, even our hockey team has found its niche as the gritty underdog.

But the Rams?

Sigh. I'd rather watch college ball anyway.

Bear
2nd August 2009, 01:06 AM
Wow MrE, changing the quote around to reflect your own opinion is a classic move. Why do you insist on being ignorant on BOTH boards when it comes to football? You refuse to acknowledge the Steelers for any sort of accomplishment, and always blame any success they have on other factors like reffing or luck or what have you. The only reason you do this is because you hate the Steelers, being a Cowboys fan. You don't see me knocking your 'boys all the time do you? To be honest I think the Cowboys have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl from the NFC side, if Romo can get settled into a nice groove. As far as my comment about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, I was referring to a few regular season games each year where they manage to lose a game they have no business losing. That goes along with my prediction of them "playing down" to a couple weaker opponents and blowing a would-be easy game.

In response to jeff, I meant in no way to count the Ravens out completely. Ray Lewis, despite playing for my least favorite team, has earned all the respect I can possibly give him for his skill, charisma, and overall contribution to the game. Thought the Ravens defense will still be a good one, I don't think it will be nearly as vicious as last year, as they've not only lost Rex Ryan but Bart Scott and a couple of other players as well. The core is still there though, so we'll see how they fare in their first game against the Steelers. I am certainly looking forward to it, and the rest of the season as well

Drago
2nd August 2009, 05:02 AM
The officiating was horrible last year, and though the Superbowl isn't very fresh in my mind, I can't recall how most of the officiating was there...

But I will always wonder what would have happened if they hadn't blown the final call of a Kurt Warner fumble. It was an incomplete pass. There's no doubting it. The Cardinals miracle year should have had just one last shot... In any event, history is history, and the Steelers are Superbowl champs. Hurts my old AFC Central heart every time I have to say that. :(

Master Rudy
2nd August 2009, 07:31 AM
The officiating was horrible last year, and though the Superbowl isn't very fresh in my mind, I can't recall how most of the officiating was there.

Well it's not the first time that the "Stealers" have won a Super Bowl due to bad play calling. I seem to remember this play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93VaUytd4w&feature=related) from Super bowl 40.

Gotta love Ben's little "Oh the ball was really here over the line!" trick......seriously how in the fuck was that ruled a TD? Better yet that play was challenged and the refs ruled that THE PLAY STANDS! Really guys?

As for the most recent Super Bowl let's not forget gems such as this illegal block (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU78_cKqFt4). I remember screaming at the TV at the Super Bowl party I was at "I see clipping!" and then getting dumbfounded over the fact that a ref didn't call it. Plus there's a little matter with Holmes being out of bounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdK5z4xK7Rk&feature=related) as far as the rules are concerned. Both feet have to be down before the ball goes out to be considered a legal catch and not an incomplete pass. Frankly I'm tired of the Steelers fans getting up in arms about this one in paticular and swearing up and down that it was in. Ball is obviously out before Holmes gets his other foot down. Sorry guys......

And finally to end my nice little rant I'm sure we all remember Warner's "fumble" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS2cQnytZ90&feature=related) at the end of the game.

Now granted a few bad calls were made against the Steelers as well but the calls that were bad against the Cards were much more numerous and far more gamebreaking. As far as Super Bowl 44 is concerned all I have to say is thank god it's impossible for a Super Bowl between the Pats and the Steelers to occur. I would seriously rake my eyes out with a rusty spoon if it was possible for that to happen and it did X_X

Mr.E
2nd August 2009, 11:06 AM
Well, expecting victory every game is unrealistic... although it has happened a couple times. :P

As far as Super Bowl 44 is concerned all I have to say is thank god it's impossible for a Super Bowl between the Pats and the Steelers to occur. I would seriously rake my eyes out with a rusty spoon if it was possible for that to happen and it did X_X

ahahahahahahahaha

Bear
2nd August 2009, 11:06 AM
Man, you guys really can not let it go. If I remember correctly, the Steelers had a touchdown TAKEN AWAY during Super Bowl XLIII because the officials determined Ben did not in fact make it in. If you're going to talk about officiating, don't just highlight the calls that went FOR the Steelers and not the ones that went AGAINST them. There were some dubious calls that went in the Cardinals' favor as well, like the phantom pass interference call that extended their drive and allowed them to score instead of it being fourth and long.

Conspiracy theories bother me because they inherently omit important information in order to suit the person's argument. It's like when a person says "I hate how African Americans are treated in this company" and their quote gets warped into "I hate...African Americans". You can't blame Super Bowl XLIII on the officiating, I am sorry. Yes we know Kurt Warner didn't really fumble it. Even if they had another shot, it would still have been a hail mary. The chances of it succeeding, even with a weapon like Larry Fitzgerald, are very low when the opposing team knows exactly what's coming. I doubt another shot at a touchdown would have changed the outcome. As for your illegal block, he hit the guy in the side, not the back. Holmes' TD? Please, nobody is more qualified to judge "possession" than the next person. The opposition says his right foot was a half inch off the ground when he gained possession. Others say his foot was still on the ground when he got possession. There's no way to 100% prove it either way, so why tote the conspiracy theory? Because people are sore losers and wanted the underdog Cards to win after their glorious run. They didn't, sorry. I am really tired of football fans who knock on a team just because they're good. I am a Steelers fan, and I have been my whole life. But I do my best in every argument to be fair. There's such a thing called "respect", and I wish more people would learn it. I hate the Patriots with a fiery passion, but I don't go back and nitpick their super bowl wins, picking out all the bad calls the referees made. They won, and that's that. So did the Steelers. Get over it please...

Ultimate Charizard
2nd August 2009, 01:10 PM
I need to get you guys more interested in Rugby League ;) lol

Master Rudy
2nd August 2009, 07:59 PM
I think you missed the part where I did admit that some bad calls where made on both sides of the ball James. I do admit that as a semi-Bengals fan that I am slightly biased but I do assure you I'd be making this arguement if it happened the other way around or with any other team for that matter. If the Jets had been playing instead of the Steelers and the game unfolded the exact same way we'd have a Super Bowl but I'd still be saying the same thing. I love my Jets to death but I'd be saying that we robbed the Cards.

I've been as fair as I can in this one but I will point something out. What's your take on the Harrison situation where he did this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia8_5tnIALQ)

Bear
2nd August 2009, 10:07 PM
I was disgusted, quite frankly. You should have seen me yelling at the TV when it happened, I was like "WHAT THE [expletive] YOU DUMB PIECE OF [expletive] GET YOUR [expletive] HEAD IN THE GAME!!!"

TBH I felt he should have gotten punished more than he did. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, no matter how good you are.

Master Rudy
3rd August 2009, 12:25 AM
Got to give you more credit than some other Steelers fans then bro. I've actually talked to people who said he didn't hit him hard enough :-/

Bear
3rd August 2009, 09:00 AM
Got to give you more credit than some other Steelers fans then bro. I've actually talked to people who said he didn't hit him hard enough :-/

Haha, being a Steelers fan doesn't make me an idiot. My players are not above the rules, and I don't make excuses for them when they screw up or behave badly. You should have heard some of the things I said about Ben after the motorcycle accident XD

Wergoheb
3rd August 2009, 11:57 PM
A Jets/Bengals fan?

...It's been a bad decade for you, huh?

Master Rudy
4th August 2009, 07:42 AM
A Jets/Bengals fan?

...It's been a bad decade for you, huh?

Hey it could be much worse. I could be a Lions fan ^_~
Sure the 2000's haven't been great overall but at least both teams at least saw the playoffs once each during this decade that's been downright dominated by the "Stealers" and "Cheatriots":lol:

Bear
4th August 2009, 10:26 AM
GO BUNGLES!

Ultimate Charizard
4th August 2009, 04:05 PM
See, my Hometown Rugby club are called the Tigers so naturally id like to be a Bengals fan since i have no ties to any particular team. Shame they suck.

Btw, does anyone know who's playing this years Wembley game?

Jeff
4th August 2009, 04:37 PM
Pats vs. Bucs (http://www.nfllondon.net/)

Telume
4th August 2009, 05:25 PM
The Dolphins are meh... I don't really see them doing too much better from last season. All I know is, if I wanted to I could go to games for free since my dad works at the stadium :P

Not that it matters much to me really, I'm not a Gridiron fan.

Roy Karrde
13th August 2009, 08:04 PM
Known dog killer signs 2 year deal with the Eagles.

Jesus if the rest of the NFC East needed a reason to hate the Eagles ~.^

I may actually see if I can buy tickets to the game at Jerry World, just to see the circus PETA will set up at the first Cowboys vs Eagles game.

Drago
15th August 2009, 12:05 AM
Philly fans boo SANTA. First Vick pick, he'll be eaten alive!! What are they hoping for, a more agile, worse passer fallback for McNabb? One year away from football, Pacman turned into a hack. Two years behind bars could be insurmountable for a man who was incosistent to begin with.

Clark
16th August 2009, 07:32 PM
Woooo I'll be sporting a Vick jersey. Even though I'm a Raiders fan, Eagle country is wack.

Master Rudy
17th August 2009, 02:08 AM
Known dog killer signs 2 year deal with the Eagles.

Jesus if the rest of the NFC East needed a reason to hate the Eagles ~.^

I may actually see if I can buy tickets to the game at Jerry World, just to see the circus PETA will set up at the first Cowboys vs Eagles game.

Well anyone that knows me knows how vocal I was about what Vick did and while I can never 100% forgive him I'm willing to adopt a wait and see stance. My main reason behind it is after reading the transcripts of his 60 Minutes interview as well as comments by Reid, McNabb and even Art Blank I'm kinda curious to see where this will go not as a Vick fan but as a football fan. Call me stupid but it seems like he's sincere in how sorry he is and that he knows about how lucky he is to have a second chance. Besides while what he did is horrible there have been NFL Players who got back into the game after doing far worse. I'm not saying running a dog fighting ring is a good thing by any means. Just merely pointing out some players did far worse than him.

And on a note unrelated to the NFL it's a known fact that PETA is a little bit crazy. If they show up at any NFL games this year they'll be making it more of a circus than it needs to be.

Clark
18th August 2009, 03:44 PM
Rudy's sig picture is all I can do after reading Favre signed with the Vikings for another year. Yet again coming out of retirement. luls

Drago
18th August 2009, 09:00 PM
Holy hell, so he really did it... Damn, now I've gotta figure out how to get my damned Xbox online so I can get the Vick/Favre Madden patch... Old Brett never did make it easy for me, did he?

I wonder if this means John Madden will come back, too? ;)

Master Rudy
19th August 2009, 01:15 AM
Dammit Brett! lol
As a fan I for one am excited to see him coming back but this kinda splits my loyalties a little more XD
I always liked seeing him play when I could get the chance and in years where Cincy and the NY Jets didn't make it was fun to see what the Packers would do. Granted I never followed them overly much and aside from Favre and a player here and there I couldn't name anyone on the team XD
Needless to say I was excited to see him with the Jets. Kinda sad he isn't coming back to New York but at his age I can understand why he does this year in year out with the will he or won't he thing. Following last year he learned that he's actually been playing several years with a torn rotator cuff that he didn't even know about (hence the surgery). That right there goes to show how tough he really is to play that long on that. In any case as for the Vikings I guess I'm now going to need to keep an occassional eye on them lol

Master Rudy
14th September 2009, 03:50 AM
Well with season now in full swing I feel it's time to revive the topic. Here's the scores and some notable news items for you guys to look over.

Thursday, September 10th
Tennessee Titans-10
Pittsburgh Steelers-13

Sunday, September 13th
Miami Dolphins-7
Atlanta Falcons-19

Denver Broncos-12
Cincinnati Bengals-7

Minnesota Vikings-34
Cleveland Browns-20

Jacksonville Jaguars-12
Indianapolis Colts-14

Detroit Lions-27
New Orleans Saints-45 (Let's be honest.....is a Lions loss a big surprise?)

Dallas Cowboys-34
Tampa Bay Buccaneers-21

Philadelphia Eagles-38
Carolina Panthers-10

Kansas City Chiefs-24
Baltimore Ravens-38

New York Jets-24 (GO GANG GREEN! ^_^)
Houston Texans-7

Washington Redskins-17
New York Giants-23

San Francisco 49ers-20
Arizona Cardinals-16

St. Louis Rams-0
Seattle Seahawks-28

Chicago Bears-15
Green Bay Packers-21

Monday, September 14
Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots (7 PM EDT)
San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders (10:15 PM EDT)

MR's News of Note
Here's three items I've labeled as newsworthy this week in regards to the NFL. These can be anything from how a person played, injuries that may affect the season as a whole, off field antics, ect.

-Sanchez wins first game, leads the Jets to 1-0
Mark Sanchez showed why the Jets were so eager to trade up in the 2009 NFL Draft in order to get him. Good old Broadway Joe Namath himself was on hand to give the rookie a pep talk prior to the game. In my eyes the kid was almost flawless in his first official NFL game against the Texans. Sanchez went 18/31 for 272 yards, 1 TD and an interception. The touchdown was a wide open pass to Stuckey who then took it 30 yards for the score. This win makes Sanchez the fourth rookie starting QB since the AFL/NFL merger to win an opening day away game. The Jets have an undefeated all time record against the Texans (4-0).

-McNabb injured with rib fracture
Well this isn't really the way to be starting the season. In his first game Donovan McNabb has fractured one of his ribs in the game against the Panthers. Due to Vick still being suspended until week three the game was finished by Kevin Kolb. Coach Andy Reid seems hopeful that McNabb might play in the upcoming game against the Saints barring more test results. It should be intresting to see how this affects the whole situation with Michael Vick in the event that McNabb winds up being sidelined for a few weeks.

-Madden Curse strikes again!
It was only a matter of time for those of us that believe in it......
Troy Polamalu becomes the latest victim due to a sprained MCL. As for Larry Fitzgerald I'm gonna start up a pool and take bets on when you guys think he'll be next ^_~

Feel free to bring up your own news stories if you guys want. That's what the topic is here for. I'll have week one standings posted once the remaining games are over and done with.

Bear
14th September 2009, 08:33 AM
lol bengals

Drago
14th September 2009, 05:40 PM
Thursday night's game is never to be spoken of. For his support of the enemy, Bear will be taken to a concentration camp. lol, in all seriousness Titans, EXECUTE. Too many points left on the field, just like our last real game...

I think Seattle isn't as good as they appear to be; three turnovers in the first half is concerning. St Louis is just a miserable excuse for a football team.

Only watched the first quarter of Bears/Pack so far, and those three straight passes in the hands of Packers from Jay Cutler weren't pretty. Collinsworth may blame receivers, but honestly... Three times in a row?

Panthers live and die with Delhomme. ...Four picks and they're dead. Seriously Panthers, grab Garcia for insurance! On that note, I said at one point that Denver should pick up Jeffy... A fluke win by Orton could prolong Kyle's career.

Mr.E
14th September 2009, 06:02 PM
Got that thing TiVoed or something? Cutler didn't do a whole lot better than JOKE DELOLMME.

Master Rudy
15th September 2009, 12:39 AM
lol Polamalu
See James? I can do that too ^_~

Drago
15th September 2009, 04:00 AM
Got that thing TiVoed or something?
VHS, baby!! lol

Bear
15th September 2009, 09:21 AM
pLOLamalu!

At least he's not out for the season. And to be honest I felt bad for the bungles, they should have won that game.

Master Rudy
16th September 2009, 12:16 AM
pLOLamalu!

At least he's not out for the season. And to be honest I felt bad for the bungles, they should have won that game.

Seems to be the recurring theme in many of the games that Cincy tends to lose :-/

kainashi
16th September 2009, 08:14 AM
anyone think the lions will beat the record for most consecutive losses (26)? :( i don't see them winning any of their games before the bye week and MAYBE they could win after at the rams but i don't know.

Master Rudy
16th September 2009, 08:51 PM
anyone think the lions will beat the record for most consecutive losses (26)? :( i don't see them winning any of their games before the bye week and MAYBE they could win after at the rams but i don't know.

That all depends on several factors. What's their current record on consecutive losses over multiple seasons? Once I know that I'll look at who they are facing and give my opinion from there. Also a bit later tonight or tommorow I'll get all the standings up ^_~

Storm_Lord
17th September 2009, 01:48 PM
Last year I had Cablevision and of course had to put up with local affiliation rules (see either Jets on CBS and nothing on FOX or Giants on FOX and nothing on CBS). Very rarely is there another game on as an alternative and the Sunday and Monday night games aren't always good.

Therefore this summer I went all out and got DirecTV and the NFL Sunday Ticket + SuperFan package. Now I can watch eight games on one screen including or not including my favorite team (Colts by the way).

I so wish we had gotten it years ago.

Drago
17th September 2009, 08:16 PM
I would really love to get a Titans-specific package, but I haven't had an opportunity to look into them yet. The CEO at my work has a package for Bills games and he loves it, so it's something I should seriously look into. It's hard to catch Titans games... If I was a fan of the friggin' Raiders, I'd see 'em all the time!

Anyhow, Lions loss streak is sitting on 18. I don't think they'll beat the Bucs' old streak... Not in today's NFL. I mean, back when the Lions had Kitna, they were even competitive; they couldn't have fallen that far off the tree. Let's see if there's anywhere they could win?

Lions upcoming schedule
vs. Minnesota ~ AP throwing Browns off him like they were children is a sign of things to come here. No way. Streak goes to 19.

vs. Washington ~ Skins never do as well as they should, but I have utmost faith in Clinton Portis. If Haynesworth is anything like he used to be, he'll demolish the Lions offence. Bring it up to 20.

@ Chicago ~ Jay Cutler stank it up in Green Bay, but he settled in the second half... He should be at least serviceable by this time. This might be close, but the Bears should still pull out a W. 21.

vs. Pittsburgh ~ LOL. 22.

@ Green Bay ~ Pack shouldn't let this slip, they're a much better team than the Lions. They can fall apart at times and underachieve, so it isn't impossible for Detroit to win, just improbable. 23.

Bye ~ And somehow, the Lions may even find a way to lose this week, too.

vs. St. Louis ~ DING DING DING DING!! I'm with kainashi on this one. Yeah, St. Louis aren't as bad as the Lions... But they are still really, really stinking bad. Lions have got some names... Calvin Johnson, Ernie Sims, if Matt Stafford isn't a bust he will have gotten more comfortable by now, if he struggles Culpepper is okayish. Who have the Rams got? ...I honestly don't know. I over-analyse the NFL a whole lot, and could name a few prolific names off most rosters, but who comes to mind for the Rams? Josh Brown. Seriously, that's all I can think of. Some may argue Marc Bulger or Steven Jackson, but they're a mere shadow of the prolific Rams offence of yesteryear. You know what? Not only is this the Lions' chance, but I damn well call it.
LIONS 24, RAMS 14.

Bear
18th September 2009, 09:03 AM
I think the Lions will beat Washington XD

And Pittsburgh, in the style they always employ with weaker teams, will allow the Lions to make it a close game...much to the dismay of my poor blood pressure

Master Rudy
20th September 2009, 05:44 AM
Ok here's the games for today and tommorow. As for the standings I think I'm going to hold off another week or two and wait for it to really start mattering. No point in a standings list for the first week.

Today
1:00 PM ET
Carolina At Atlanta
Minnesota At Detroit (I forsee a Favre/AP rape in the Lions very near future)
Cincinnati At Green Bay
Houston At Tennessee
Oakland At Kansas City
New England at NY Jets (This is where our real test starts)
New Orleans At Philadelphia
St. Louis At Washington
Arizona At Jacksonville

4:05 PM ET
Seattle At San Francisco
Tampa Bay At Buffalo

4:15 PM ET
Pittsburgh At Chicago
Baltimore At San Diego
Cleveland At Denver

8:20 PM ET
NY Giants At Dallas

Monday Night Football
Indianapolis At Miami

Enjoy guys and good luck to everyone except the Pats and the Steelers :P

Bear
20th September 2009, 10:56 AM
Enjoy guys and good luck to everyone except the Pats and the Steelers :P

Fuck yo couch. Well fuck the Patriots too but fuck yo couch anyway.

Master Rudy
20th September 2009, 09:14 PM
I rather enjoyed the Bears game. How about you James? ^_~
In any case that Jets/Pats game was awesome. First win for Gang Green at home against the Pats in 9 years. First time since 2006 that the Pats played a game and got no TD's. Finally it's very debatable but I personally think Sanchez played better than Brady today.

Yep......I think NY proved themselves tonight ^_^

Jeff
20th September 2009, 09:41 PM
That Ravens game was a nail biter. With the Chargers pulling off some impressive plays in that game, I was convinced they'd get the touchdown at the end and pull ahead for the win. Luckily Ray Lewis was there for the tackle on 4th down to seal the deal.:yes:

Bear
21st September 2009, 09:01 AM
I hate Jay Cutler...he fucking sucks and his receivers made him look good in that game. Plus Pittsburgh should have put it away early, they outplayed the Bears for pretty much the whole game.

Missed opportunities and no Polamalu sealed their fate. I hope they see what they did wrong and fix it before next week.

And sorry for my incessant ranting about Cutler, I just think the guy is a whiny little bitch who never deserved to go to that Pro Bowl, and isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is.

Drago
22nd September 2009, 06:23 AM
I am dead-set shell shocked and disgusted; my Titans vs. the Texans was nearly always an automatic win; now I look at the ugly stat of only 12.8% of teams starting 0-2 since 1990 making the playoffs...

But hey, early days, we'll pull up. I just won't be able to gloat as much as I did last year.

Bear
22nd September 2009, 08:40 AM
I am dead-set shell shocked and disgusted; my Titans vs. the Texans was nearly always an automatic win; now I look at the ugly stat of only 12.8% of teams starting 0-2 since 1990 making the playoffs...

But hey, early days, we'll pull up. I just won't be able to gloat as much as I did last year.

The Titans will be fine, everyone loses a couple of close ones now and then. They don't have to play the Steelers again, and they should beat the Texans next time. My team lost this week too, but I am not discouraged. In fact, I'm encouraged by almost everything they did in their game. They passed the ball effectively, they even ran the ball more effectively than they have recently, and the defense was pretty solid as always. The only area we faltered in was capitalizing on opportunities, which is something we can work on. I think you should feel good about your Titans, especially how explosive the run game was. I wouldn't blame your defense too much either, as dealing with a freak of nature like Andre Johnson is not an easy task. Gotta look ahead bro, not behind.

Roy Karrde
24th September 2009, 09:27 PM
Are the Jets tampering with the signing of Crabtree?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgZsurGjq1CcByzw9f6xp5Q5nYcB?slug=cr-jetsninerstampering092409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So, no, this isn’t Spygate. However, it might actually be worse.

That’s what some league executives and at least one owner had to say this week, after the San Francisco 49ers, frustrated at their lack of progress in signing No. 10 NFL draft pick Michael Crabtree, filed a tampering charge against the New York Jets. In what executives are viewing as an extremely serious allegation, the 49ers are alleging, either tacitly or directly, the Jets have played a role in undercutting San Francisco’s ability to sign its first-round pick. And while the charge doesn’t have the sparks and scandal of Spygate, in which the New England Patriots were disciplined for illegally videotaping Jets’ defensive signals in 2007, it’s being viewed as no less serious in some NFL corners.

The crux of the 49ers’ tampering charge still hasn’t been fleshed out publicly. But NFL security officials have already been tasked with the investigation, and three league sources told Yahoo! Sports the 49ers believe the Jets were in contact with Crabtree’s agent, Eugene Parker, to talk about the former Texas Tech wideout after he had already been selected in the draft.

Uh oh.

Bear
25th September 2009, 07:36 AM
Crabtree is bein a big baby. Rookies should be grateful to be on a team AT ALL. Players train furiously and bust their asses through training camp just to earn a slot on a 53 man roster, and this guy won't sign because they're only offering him $13mil guaranteed instead of $20? I really wish professional sports weren't so money focused.

Drago
25th September 2009, 09:22 AM
Takeo Spikes spoke up for Crabtree, saying he understands the business aspect of football and he's just trying to protect his future, but to that I say BALLS. Rookie contracts are beyond ludicrous and result in a lot of established vets getting cut for a lack of cap space.

To Crabtree, I say this. If you deserve to be the highest paid receiver of the draft, then get your punk ass out on the field and prove it. The Niners owe you jack - you owe them.
If you're as good as you think you are, then you'll earn your payday. And if you turn out to be a bust, then you shouldn't be getting MILLIONS of dollars to begin with. Sorry ass bitch. And if you don't sign at some point... Do you really think you'll be a first round pick next season? Joke's on you, Crab.

Bear
25th September 2009, 07:45 PM
Lol he has crab in his name...

Lol crab...

kainashi
25th September 2009, 09:34 PM
i hope they at least trade his rights in march or so when they can. the guy would be an idiot to reenter the draft next year.

Master Rudy
27th September 2009, 09:10 AM
I swear my computer hates ESPN. Their website keeps crashing Internet Explorer when I try to access it for the purposes of trying to update this with news, upcoming games, scores, ect. It's been the main reason why I've been slow on week 2 updates. Week 1 itself took me a few hours simply because IE keeps crashing. Anyone know a good website that'll have all the info I'll need that ISN'T graphics/video heavy? This thing can't take much considering I'm on dial up with about 300 MB of RAM :-/

Mr.E
27th September 2009, 12:03 PM
Don't worry Master Rudy, I know exactly what the problem is.

Internet Explorer

You could always try nfl.com or yahoo or whatever else, too...

Master Rudy
27th September 2009, 12:17 PM
Trust me I'd rather use Opera but as I said this computer blows. The download would take forever and at the rate I lose connections on this piece of shit it's just not going to work. As for the NFL.com suggestion I was trying ESPN because the NFL website either wouldn't load or crashed the whole computer as opposed to ESPN only crashing IE.

Mark my words.....once I'm able to get a new computer I think this thing is taking a trip to the woods with me, an AK-47 and a Walther P99 ^_~

kainashi
27th September 2009, 12:24 PM
Trust me I'd rather use Operathat's another problem. use firefox or chrome. ^_~

Bear
27th September 2009, 07:30 PM
Poor Steelers, I love them for life but they have a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE

Master Rudy
28th September 2009, 08:35 AM
Your still alive James? That game last night didn't make you pop a blood vessel in your brain? Sucks to be the Steelers. Cincy is 1st place in the AFC North after that. I'll bet the fine, upstanding folks in Pittsburgh are PISSED! What I wouldn't give to see that right about now :D

In other news Gang Green is 3-0. Sorry about your Titans and that game Drago. It had to be done. Perhaps wearing the throwback uniforms invoked the spirit of the old Houston Oilers AKA losing games and having only about 100 people show up at a "Save the Oilers!" rally designed for a few thousand when the team was planning to move to Nashville. I will be honest however......I didn't think the Jets would start 3-0. At the very least I expected a Pats loss the other week.

Finally I'm thinking I should have put money on the Lions for yesterday. I'm surprised that they actually WON! On the final play of the game when the Skins started to do laterals to each other I was fully expecting Detroit to fuck it up. Seriously if they found a way to give that one up I would have fully expected riots in Detriot :P

Bear
28th September 2009, 11:28 AM
Cincy is 1st place in the AFC North after that.

Ravens are #1, Cincy is #2

And yes, I was angry at first, but after I thought about it I realized that despite the game's outcome my team played very well. All they need to do is work on protecting leads and finishing football games and they'll improve immensely. I have a feeling once Polamalu is back things will shape up.

kainashi
28th September 2009, 11:31 AM
the lions win their first game in forever and all of michigan rejoices. :911:

Mr.E
28th September 2009, 11:31 PM
All they need to do is work on protecting leads and finishing football games and they'll improve immensely.

You know what would help with that? Buying a rushing game, like my league-leading Dallas GREATboys! More than 1.0 YPC more than #2 in that category (Titans) and a half-game's worth of total yards over... the Saints? :confused:

Roy Karrde
28th September 2009, 11:57 PM
You know what would help with that? Buying a rushing game, like my league-leading Dallas GREATboys! More than 1.0 YPC more than #2 in that category (Titans) and a half-game's worth of total yards over... the Saints? :confused:

If only we could fix Tony Romo's interception rating we would be 3 - 0 and rolling through the league. Oh what the hell a win is a win!

Bear
29th September 2009, 08:15 AM

Well, Parker did rush for 93 yards against Cincinnati so they did something right. Once our O-Line gets more comfortable with each other and improves, our run game will see alot more yardage. As long as our passing game continues to be awesome I'm not going to worry.

And lol, greatboys? More like CRYboys!

Let's see your league-leading rush attack against the Steelers defense and see how it does. Oh wait, we did, last year, when you rushed for 88 yards on 23 carries for a 3.9 YPC average. Now, that's a little bit less than 193.7 yards and a 6.8 YPC average, wouldn't you say?

Mr.E
29th September 2009, 05:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Dallas didn't lead the league in rushing last year, you must be hallucinating.

Bear
29th September 2009, 07:20 PM
But it's pretty much the same offense. What has changed since last year? It's ok, no matter what I think my team is still 1-2, and yours is 2-1 :( :( :(

Drago
30th September 2009, 03:42 AM
And mine is 0-3. :(

But Keith Bulluck told me to stay faithful, so stay faithful I shall. ...Not like he directly spoke to me or anything, but I'll accept his general message all the same. Will just have to settle for a 13-3 season again this year.

Master Rudy
7th October 2009, 01:19 AM
Meh.....wish Gang Green didn't lose against the Saints this past weekend. However there is a bright side I think. The loss gives Sanchez a chance to learn a little bit and hopefully not make the same mistakes later. As for the Jets defense they were actually pretty sharp for the most part. Bear in mind they held Drew Brees to zero TD's. Quite a feat when you consider the damage he's done to other teams this season.

On another note as far as the NFC teams go I'm having a ton of fun watching the Vikings so far this year. Favre did great on MNF. With that win he's the only QB to get at least one win on every single team. Something tells me the Packer fans aren't going to be happy to see him later on in the season :P

kainashi
7th October 2009, 08:23 AM
braylon edwards punches a guy and is traded?

also, the crabtree drama is over at last. time to watch him BUST. :)

Ultimate Charizard
7th October 2009, 10:02 AM
Whats the date of the London match this year? I always forget when its on. The one chance i get to watch NFL on the BBC.

Jeff
7th October 2009, 11:34 AM
October 25th, New England vs. Tampa

Ultimate Charizard
7th October 2009, 01:31 PM
Ah cool, i have a thing planned for the day after so ill be able to remember that one this year ;)

Bear
7th October 2009, 08:40 PM
London in late October? Tampa is gonna hate the weather. Pats will be like oh at least it's not frozen like Foxborough

Ultimate Charizard
7th October 2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah our Summer ended quickly this year. Its not freezing yet but theres definitely a chill in the air. Wembley is a good stadium though so apart from the actual temperature the weather shouldnt be too much of a problem, especially now the groundsmen know what to expect. (the pitch for the first year was awful)

Also talks of the NBA doing the same thing sometime soon. Even rhumours of a possible London team in the NBA which may lead to the same for the NFL. The distance problem was actually dealt with saying that (i forget which teams were mentioned so ill guess) Teams in New England actually Travel further when they are playing away in Texas etc.

Bear
8th October 2009, 08:01 AM
Yes but that just covers the trip from New England to Texas as compared to New England to London. Think about how far it would be from London to Texas or California, or vice versa. I think it's a cool idea but I seriously doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Master Rudy
18th October 2009, 08:59 PM
Ugh.....Jets D implodes three weeks in a row. Sanchez hands Buffalo the game.....hope this isn't a sign for the rest of the season >_<

On another note while I absolutely hate the Pats I couldn't help but watch some of that Pats/Titans game. It was like a bad train wreck that you couldn't stop looking at. I guess as bad as the Lions are that they can take comfort in the fact that they don't suck bad enough to lose 59-0 XD

Bear
18th October 2009, 09:11 PM
Look who's got the same record as the bengals :D

*points at western pennsylvania*

Drago
18th October 2009, 09:25 PM
The Titans are playing very smart football this year. They realised that, even with all the talent they had last year, they haven't had a playoff win in years - so they're sabotaging this season in order to claim a high draft pick which will give them the extra push they need to get into the Super Bowl next year, when they start playing real football again.

IT'S AN EXCELLENT THEORY I LOVE IT

Bear
18th October 2009, 10:25 PM
Poor Titans :( even I feel bad for them

Master Rudy
18th October 2009, 11:53 PM
The Titans are playing very smart football this year. They realised that, even with all the talent they had last year, they haven't had a playoff win in years - so they're sabotaging this season in order to claim a high draft pick which will give them the extra push they need to get into the Super Bowl next year, when they start playing real football again.

IT'S AN EXCELLENT THEORY I LOVE IT

You know denile is not just a river in Egypt.........
God I shouldn't be talking like this. When I do my teams tend to make me choke on my foot :-/

Bear
19th October 2009, 10:03 AM
Jesus Rudy, even my cat saw the sarcasm in his post. No more late night posting for you =P

Master Rudy
19th October 2009, 10:04 PM
Please tell me you didn't think I was serious James......damn....well you know what they say about Steelers fans :P lol jK ^_~

Master Rudy
7th November 2009, 06:58 AM
Ok.....the start of week 9 marks the beginning of the second half of the NFL season. With that let's take a look at the current overall standings:

AFC East

Pats 5-2
Jets 4-4
Dolphins 3-4
Bills 3-5

Since I obviously follow this division more than any, this'll be the one I have the most to say about. All in all it's your typical AFC east outlook for the most part. As much as I hate the over rated prick even I've got to admit that Brady is back in top form. Sanchez is doing about as good as I expected considering he's a rookie. Overall I still like the Jets chances but he's going to seriously have to work on making some better choices on the field. It'll come with time but as far as this season is concerned the next eight weeks will be very important for New York. This week is a bye week for NY. As a result they can start to attempt to work out some of the kinks. The primary concern is Miami. While a Dolphins win tommorow would put the Jets in a better spot for overtaking the Pats, it's not without it's risks. Miami has beaten NY in both games this year. Should they tie at the end of the season it will give Miami priority over New York. On the other hand the same can potentially hold true for New York and New England if the Jets can beat them at Gillette Stadium on November 22nd.

AFC North

Bengals 5-2
Steelers 5-2
Ravens 4-3
Browns 1-7

The excitement can easily be felt all across Bengals Nation. After some pretty bad years the team is finally set to show 2005 was no fluke. Tommorow's game at Paul Brown Stadium, as well as next week's game at Heinz Field are major ones for the whole division. A win tommorow put will give the Bengals two wins over the Ravens on the season and could also potentially lock them out depending on how Baltimore's games with the Steelers go. As for the Steelers a loss next week will put Cincy in a good spot for taking the division. It'll also put James/Bear in a very panic stricken mood that should be a ton of fun to watch! :D

AFC South

Colts 7-0
Texans 5-3
Jaguars 3-4
Titans 1-6

No surprise with the Colts. The real surprise are the Titans. It's been quite some time since I've seen a team implode the way Tennessee has. Amazingly enough however they aren't out of it yet. If they can somehow win the rest of the games this season it could very well put them back in contention. Of course I don't think I have to point out how unlikely that would be.

AFC West

Broncos 6-1
Chargers 4-3
Raiders 2-6
Chiefs 1-6

Many happy fans in Denver right now. The team seems to have surprised the whole league with their performance this season. Provided nothing major happens to them I think Denver taking the division is an extremely safe bet right now.

NFC East

Eagles 5-2
Cowboys 5-2
Giants 5-3
Redskins 2-5

Wow......Redskins aside this may very well be the division to watch. It's still wide open for Philly, Dallas and New York and could go to any of them.

NFC North

Vikings 7-1
Packers 4-3
Bears 4-3
Lions 1-6 (wait.....they got a WIN?! :eek:)

Lions jokes aside, like the AFC West this one may already be in the bag. Say what you will about Brett Favre. For a guy that's 40 he's throwing like he's 25. Minnesota could very well be one of the two teams to beat in the NFC this year. Which brings me to......

NFC South

Saints 7-0
Falcons 4-3
Panthers 3-4
Buccaneers 0-7

I'm gonna call it right now. NFC Championship is going to be the Saints vs. the Vikings. Come January 24th you can either laugh at me or tell me about my unamazing skills of prediction since I went ahead and picked the two best teams in the conference :lol:
As for the Bucs.....well someone has to continue the legacy of the Lions :P

NFC West
Cardinals 4-3
49ers 3-4
Seahawks 2-5
Rams 1-7

Looking like this one is going to be a battle between the Cards and Niners. The Seahawks also have a chance but for them it's a similar situation as the one in Tennessee. It's possible but very unlikely.

There you are folks. Full standings going into week 9. Maybe now that they are up it won't be so hard to actually keep them up to date :lol:

Mr.E
8th November 2009, 10:40 AM
I more consider the second half of the season to be Week 11, since that's the first week after all the byes are done. *shrug* Thanks for the write-up, so now we have a reason to post general football stuff here again instead of turning the Fantasy topic into a combo fake/serious one.

Drago
8th November 2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, usually the fantasy football topic kinda dominates the general NFL thread... However, this thread is much more appropriate a place for me to declare THE TITANS ARE STREAKING WITH TWO STRAIGHT WINS! YES MA'AM!!

It's funny how now we're really seeing the Titans of last year emerge mysteriously from nowhere, and I just wonder what really happened? I mean, swapping to Vince is a big thing, but why is it suddenly that the defence has figured out how to play? Cortland Finnegan is back, for one thing, but has one of our biggest losses of the early season really been... Vincent Fuller? He's back, and we're back, it seems... Interesting...

Master Rudy
9th November 2009, 06:52 AM
And the Bengals lose Chris Henry due to a compound fracture to his arm.......very bad both on and off the field. Sometimes an injury like that never heals properly. Needless to say as far as the season is concerned he's done. I just hope for his sake that the injury is one he can recover from without long term ill effects :-/

Bear
9th November 2009, 07:59 AM
Fortunately Chris Henry wasn't the core of the Bengals' offense. Losing someone like Chad or Benson would have been far more detrimental to the team. All this means is Coles and Caldwell will see more targets, and they are just as good as Henry.

Master Rudy
18th November 2009, 12:09 PM
Well Cincy is still on top of the AFC North and now sit at 7-2. As for my Jets I'm slowly starting to get that bitter taste that the Mets like to give me year after year. I'm sure Sanchez will be a great quarterback in time but considering we're sitting at 4-5 right now.......well in short it's not looking good :-/

In other news James/Bear has shit a brick and had a heart attack following the Steelers/Bengals game this past Sunday. Please wish him well ^_^ :D

Bear
18th November 2009, 06:47 PM
I actually didn't get to watch it (probably for the best). The Bungles are playing damn good football right now (especially defensively) and are certainly good enough to be the division leaders. However, with Pittsburgh's remaining schedule being full of creampuffs and Cincy's not so much, you still have to wonder who will end up on top of the division. Time will tell!

Also, anyone else lol'ing at the prospect of LeBron playing for the Browns? What a dumb move that would be. He'd get himself injured and end both his careers.

Master Rudy
19th November 2009, 03:59 PM
Also, anyone else lol'ing at the prospect of LeBron playing for the Browns? What a dumb move that would be. He'd get himself injured and end both his careers.

Wow.....first I've heard of that actually. While it's good for a few laughs in all honesty would it really hurt the Browns that much at this point? :lol:

Bear
19th November 2009, 07:06 PM
No I'm sure he'd be a decent football player at his size, but his body isn't trained to take that kind of punishment. He'd get injured in his first game (or maybe even practice) and he wouldn't be a basketball superstar anymore. I'm sure his offer was just a joke. Take it from a guy who's done it: It's extremely difficult to play competitive basketball AND football at the same time and stay healthy.

Mr.E
20th November 2009, 07:19 PM
Well he didn't necessarily say he'd play both at the same time. LeBron is a gifted athlete, I'm sure he'd make a fine Tight End or something if he fully dedicated himself to football. See: Antonio Gates.

bengals woo

Bear
22nd November 2009, 03:23 PM
anyone who says the refs always favor the steelers can fucking suck my dick for the rest of their life. The refs just stole a clear interception from pittsburgh in OT and allowed the chiefs to steal a game that they never should have even come close to winning in the first place. Fuck that shit

toucheiruka
22nd November 2009, 05:22 PM
I've given up hope on my teams Buc's aren't doing shit this year and the Bills are hopeless when leading with 2 minutes left in the game sometimes.

Bear
22nd November 2009, 06:40 PM
nm about my above post Bungles lost to the Raiders XD. Man what a crappy day for the AFC north: All four teams lost, and by a COMBINED total of 9 points. I can't decide which is more lol-worthy, the Steelers losing to KC or the Bengals losing to the Raiders.

Master Rudy
23rd November 2009, 01:50 AM
nm about my above post Bungles lost to the Raiders XD. Man what a crappy day for the AFC north: All four teams lost, and by a COMBINED total of 9 points. I can't decide which is more lol-worthy, the Steelers losing to KC or the Bengals losing to the Raiders.

A team losing to KC is sadder than a team losing to Oakland. At least Oakland can occasionally show up to play. KC on the other hand......well let's face it. KC is one of those teams where if you lose to them then you deserve to be laughed at :lol:

Now I didn't see any of the games as I worked all day. So I can't comment on the refs making a bad call on Pittsburgh. Truth be told I hope it WAS an obvious bad call for the sheer fact that it'll make Steelers fans feel the pain that the Cards felt in the Super Bowl :D

Drago
23rd November 2009, 05:09 AM
Raiders beat the Eagles and the Bengals, plus played the Chargers tough in week one. Their days of futility could finally be turning around, but they desperately need to bite the bullet and give up on JaMarcus Russell. The dude flat out can't pass, and this is coming from a Vince Young fan. They should never have dropped Jeff Garcia... Isn't he still available?
Draft Tim Tebow, hang onto superstars like Asomugha and bring in more free agents like Greg Ellis. Then Raiders could play ball. Maybe.

Bear
23rd November 2009, 08:19 AM
I'm slightly encouraged by the fact that Pittsburgh dominated every facet of the game, including defensively. The only problem they need to fix is turnovers, and even then they almost won despite them. I also honestly think that if Polamalu had been on the field for that last play, Chris Chambers would not have had that free run down the sideline to put the Chefs into easy FG range. I think Troy would have caught his ass and knocked him OOB at least out of FG range, forcing the Chefs offense (which had been poor all day) to move it, which it might not have. We also could have avoided the situation altogether by either a) better play calling on 3rd and 2 to convert and get further into FG range or b) taking a chance at the 55 yarder anyway. It's a long one, but Jeff might've made it. Either way the Steelers should have won that game, whereas the Bengals need to do something with their offense that has sputter the last 2 weeks. It'll probably improve with Benson back though.

Master Rudy
23rd November 2009, 07:22 PM
Either way the Steelers should have won that game, whereas the Bengals need to do something with their offense that has sputter the last 2 weeks. It'll probably improve with Benson back though.

And what exactly does that say about your Steelers when that so called "sputtering Bengals offense" beat on them? :D

Bear
23rd November 2009, 08:55 PM
And what exactly does that say about your Steelers when that so called "sputtering Bengals offense" beat on them? :D

It didn't beat on the Steelers... they only generated 218 total yards on offense and failed to score a single touchdown. I would definitely call that sputtering

Drago
23rd November 2009, 11:33 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d8147305c_gallery_600.jpg
Who says soccer is the beautiful game?

Ultimate Charizard
24th November 2009, 01:11 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d8147305c_gallery_600.jpg
Who says soccer is the beautiful game?

I dont get it.... lol

Mr.E
24th November 2009, 05:57 AM
what's up after this fine weekend of the dallas cowboys winning and the pittsburgh steelers losing :o

Their days of futility could finally be turning around, but they desperately need to bite the bullet and give up on JaMarcus Russell. The dude flat out can't pass, and this is coming from a Vince Young fan.

Turns out this guy might not be so bad after all...

Draft Tim Tebow...

Why do they need a fullback?

Drago
24th November 2009, 07:09 AM
I dont get it.... lol
Just sharing one of the best moments in the 2009 season for me. :3

Also, for anyone who didn't see the game, don't let the stats fool you - other than some late bursts and a successful option play, Chris Johnson wasn't the star for Tennessee today. VINCE THE PRINCE plays some real solid football with his arm and with his legs...

Why do they need a fullback?
168.4 career college rating doesn't appease your voracious appetite? :o Then again, I've never professed to be a college expert. I remember when I was shocked to see Jamaal Charles fall to the third round. lol

Bear
24th November 2009, 08:01 AM
Don't forget your kicker missed a field goal of the exact same distance, and also wide left :D

I like the part where VY outrushed the entire Texans team. Still though, the Texans still look like a solid football team that can make the playoffs if they continue to play well.

Mr.E
24th November 2009, 04:47 PM
The Texans are doomed to fail to make the playoffs for all eternity, despite being a perfectly mediocre team that shows flashes of brilliance. Maybe when Peyton retires...

Master Rudy
25th November 2009, 07:49 AM
Sadly the Jets season is starting to get to that point where the writing may be on the wall. Granted I need to keep in mind that it's Ryan/Sanchez's first season at their respective jobs but it's still disappointing. That being said I think Cincy's got strong playoff potential this year. If they can beat the Steelers in the playoffs (or if Pitt misses the Wild Card for that matter) then I think Bengals Nation is going to be taking a trip to Miami. That being said I'm calling the Super Bowl.......

Cincinnati Bengals
Minnesota Vikings

Remember that you heard it from my mouth first when it happens ^_~

Bear
25th November 2009, 08:30 AM
Bengals won't make it past the Clots lol. I still can't decide who's going to the SB from the AFC, but I'm sure it's gonna be the Saints from the NFC.

Master Rudy
26th November 2009, 06:15 AM
I do admit that I did fail to take the Colts into consideration when I made my prediction. You however failed to consider the fact that there are reports that Manning may be playing injured. Not Indy's smartest move. They can afford a loss. If he plays and gets hurt worse then that changes everything. And really with the way Cincy has been playing it goes without saying that they've already scored several upsets this year. I smell another one coming in a potential Bengals/Colts showdown.

Care to try again James?

Bear
29th November 2009, 09:17 PM
I do admit that I did fail to take the Colts into consideration when I made my prediction. You however failed to consider the fact that there are reports that Manning may be playing injured. Not Indy's smartest move. They can afford a loss. If he plays and gets hurt worse then that changes everything. And really with the way Cincy has been playing it goes without saying that they've already scored several upsets this year. I smell another one coming in a potential Bengals/Colts showdown.

Care to try again James?

Not really. If you look closely at how Cincy has played the last several weeks, it's been their defense keeping them in games. They haven't been blowing teams out, and quite frankly the pass game has been rather unimpressive. One bright spot is their running game, which I think they should devote themselves to more if they want to travel deep into the postseason. Cincinnati has all the tools to be a Super Bowl team, but they're really gonna need to step up their game if they want to win in January.

Mr.E
30th November 2009, 12:04 AM
I might as well quote my previous post as the Cowboys win again, the Steelers lose again, and Vince Young... yeah I dunno what to say about that shit. "Wow."

Cincy, once again, churned some butter on the ground.

Mr.E
11th December 2009, 05:55 PM
lol steelers

Bear
11th December 2009, 11:10 PM
shit, even I have to lol at the steelers. That game was the most pathetic thing I've ever watched lol. Guess they just had no heart left.

Master Rudy
12th December 2009, 03:49 AM
The game was pretty bad James. As much as I hate the Steelers even I'm asking how the fuck they managed to lose to the Browns. Now if my understanding is correct I do believe that loss has officially eliminated the Steelers and made Cincy a lock. Worthlessberger indeed! :D

Awww......what's wrong James? Say something funny....... :P

Jeff
12th December 2009, 07:58 AM
Well, it's still possible for the Ravens to overtake them.

Notice I said possible, not probable.

Bear
12th December 2009, 10:54 AM
Actually Roethlisberger played just fine despite the conditions. He was 18 for 32 with no interceptions and 201 yards, and that's including several perfect passes that his receivers just dropped. His counterpart Brady Quinn finished like 6 for 17 for 90 yards, which is awful lol. What killed the Steelers was Josh Cribbs who is a freak of nature. We always struggle against him for some reason.

And no, the Steelers can still mathematically make the playoffs, but they would have to win out and the Faguars would have to lose out. In addition, the Ravens, Jets, and Dolphins would need to lose at least two of their last three to allow Pittsburgh to have a better record, the only exception to this being the Dolphins, who testically could finish 9-7 along with the Steelers, provided the Steelers beat them of course. Suffice it to say it's possible for Pittsburgh to make the playoffs, but highly unlikely.

It's ok, I'll enjoy watching the Bengals get thrashed by the Colts in the AFC Championship game, if they even get that far :D

I'm just kidding, my hat goes off to Cincinnati for putting together an excellent season. I wish them luck.

Drago
12th December 2009, 05:47 PM
Just a quick note, fuck the Colts.

Number1ChanseyFan
12th December 2009, 10:16 PM
Actually Roethlisberger played just fine despite the conditions. He was 18 for 32 with no interceptions and 201 yards, and that's including several perfect passes that his receivers just dropped. His counterpart Brady Quinn finished like 6 for 17 for 90 yards, which is awful lol. What killed the Steelers was Josh Cribbs who is a freak of nature. We always struggle against him for some reason.

And no, the Steelers can still mathematically make the playoffs, but they would have to win out and the Faguars would have to lose out. In addition, the Ravens, Jets, and Dolphins would need to lose at least two of their last three to allow Pittsburgh to have a better record, the only exception to this being the Dolphins, who testically could finish 9-7 along with the Steelers, provided the Steelers beat them of course. Suffice it to say it's possible for Pittsburgh to make the playoffs, but highly unlikely.

It's ok, I'll enjoy watching the Bengals get thrashed by the Colts in the AFC Championship game, if they even get that far :D

I'm just kidding, my hat goes off to Cincinnati for putting together an excellent season. I wish them luck.

There was also that little thing with Big Ben getting sacked like 8 times that game. It's debatable who spent more total time on their backs, all of Tiger Woods' one night stands, or Roethlisberger Thursday night vs. the Browns. :P

Master Rudy
13th December 2009, 01:05 AM
There was also that little thing with Big Ben getting sacked like 8 times that game. It's debatable who spent more total time on their backs, all of Tiger Woods' one night stands, or Roethlisberger Thursday night vs. the Browns. :P

Yep.....I was waiting to see if someone called James on this :D

You spoke like a true Steelers fan James. Talk about how good "Little" Ben played but totally ignore the fact that smug little prick got dropped on his ass many times in that game. I at least make mention of the QB needing to pay better attention to what's going on and the O line needing to protect him better whenever Sanchez/Favre/Pennington got dropped time and time again :-/

As for Cincy we'll wait and see on them. Either I'll have a shit eating grin on my face when they go to Miami in place of "Six Sucksberg" or you can tell me "I told you so!" if the Colts beat them ^_~

Bear
13th December 2009, 09:57 AM
Actually, I mentioned that I thought Ben played well BECAUSE his O-line was playing so poorly. Despite the fact that he got sacked 8 times and was under pressure frequently, he made mostly good throws and didn't get picked off. Biased toward the Steelers I might be, but I am honest enough to admit my own team's shortcomings and recognize its strengths. I wouldn't say Ben played well if he really didn't. I'm not one of those "every team but my favorite sucks" kinds of fans. I also tend not to insult other teams with childish names (aside from the occasional "Bungles" comment XD). I believe in respect toward other football fans. Cincy fans are getting a glimpse of success after several years of disappointment, and for any true fan this is well deserved. I respect any fan who will stand by their team through adversity, even if it's a division rival like Baltimore or Cincinnati. I just wish more fans thought like me instead of this "HAHA BENGALS PWN J00 SHITSBURGH SQUEELERS WORTHLESSBURGER AJAJAJAJAJJJJRRRR" bullshit I see frequently on NFL.com lol.

Master Rudy
13th December 2009, 10:06 PM
SHITSBURGH SQUEELERS

I'll have to remember that one ^_~
In any case you know I tend to be like you in the fact that I do try to stick by my teams. However since I actually know you as far as I'm concerned your fair game as far as asshole comments are concerned ^_~ :lol:

Drago
13th December 2009, 11:49 PM
I just wish more fans thought like me instead of this "HAHA BENGALS PWN J00 SHITSBURGH SQUEELERS WORTHLESSBURGER AJAJAJAJAJJJJRRRR" bullshit I see frequently on NFL.com lol.
I would be able to put up with any insult in the world if my team had six friggin' Lombardis. Seriously Steelers, chuck one the Titans' way, will ya? :(

Bear
14th December 2009, 07:33 PM
I would be able to put up with any insult in the world if my team had six friggin' Lombardis. Seriously Steelers, chuck one the Titans' way, will ya? :(

Having the trophies is misleading, because then a few things happen.

1) expectations are higher, so every mis-step you take is thrust into the spotlight, and endures harsher criticism than a team that is perennially bad

2) Winning a Super Bowl puts you at the top of the mountain. But it also gives you alot further to fall. Disappointment becomes that much more intense when you've recently been the Champion.

3) Yes we've won 6 Super Bowls, but that's in the past. Lombardis aren't like Star Power that you can use to boost your play during future seasons (although wouldn't that be fucking bad ass if it were? Steelers flashing gold with music playing as they run through everybody on the field).

It's cool to be able to say your team is the only team with 6 trophies, but I take much more pride in the consistency of the club year after year, regardless of whether we win the big one. I'd rather be a perennial playoff contender than a one hit wonder once a decade.

Drago
16th December 2009, 09:21 PM
Bengals WR Henry faces 'life-threatening' injuries (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34454096/ns/sports-nfl/?GT1=43001). Apparently he fell off the back of a truck during a domestic dispute. Damn man, this guy just can't seem to catch a break, can he? I really hope he'll be ok.

Bear
17th December 2009, 07:33 AM
Can't seem to catch a ball either!

Just kidding, I'm praying for him as we speak. I have a bad feeling that headline is going to change though, and not for the better :(.

kainashi
17th December 2009, 09:18 AM
edit: maybe not.

Master Rudy
17th December 2009, 10:37 AM
It's been confirmed. Cincinnati CBS and NBC affilates WKRC and WLWT are reporting that Chris Henry has died from his injuries :-/
What a shitty end for the guy all things considered. He turns everything around following all the off field drama, starts playing pretty decently, breaks his arm, is out the rest of the season and now this.

As for the Bengals your going to see one of two things now: either a total breakdown or them going all the way. I'd have to imagine the team is going to be pretty motivated much like the Redskins were a few years back following Sean Taylor's murder. Still this isn't the sort of thing that you want to get motivated by :-/

kainashi
17th December 2009, 01:42 PM
rip chris henry :(

toucheiruka
19th December 2009, 10:43 PM
the saints lost.

one more to go....

Mr.E
20th December 2009, 05:00 PM
Correction: THE COWBOYS WON BITCHES!

Clark
20th December 2009, 05:00 PM
who the shit would have guessed that harrison would put up 286yards and 3td?? i know the chiefs defense isn't the best, but the browns offense? lol

Roy Karrde
20th December 2009, 06:53 PM
Holy Shit Pittsburgh... Holy Shit

Mr.E
22nd December 2009, 01:45 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2v8fjuc.gif

mr_pikachu
22nd December 2009, 02:01 AM
Mr.E, did you get the express written permission of the National Football League?

Better question: Who's more likely to break Indy, the Jets in week 16 or the Bills right before playoff time?

Master Rudy
22nd December 2009, 02:12 AM
Well the Bills have always been the joke of the AFC East. As for the Jets beating the Colts the diehard fan in me is saying yes while my inner voice of common sense is saying no :-/

I say Indy goes 16-0 in the regular season and falls to either the Chargers or the Bengals in the playoffs. If either one of them beats them then that's my bet as to who the AFC Champion will be this year.

Bear
22nd December 2009, 09:09 AM
Bills beat the Clots in week 17, you heard it here first.

kainashi
22nd December 2009, 11:18 AM
i can't see the bengals beating the colts. san diego can do it MAYBE but not the bengals.

Drago
4th January 2010, 07:06 PM
So with the regular season in the books, I'm basically following any team in the NFC (except the Cowboys) and hating on the AFC (except the Bengals). I would really love to see New Orleans, Arizona or Cincinnati take the whole thing, though I only think the first of that group has a real shot.

What do y'all reckon was the headline of the year? Baby Brett posting the best stats of his career is pretty impressive, and the Broncos missing the playoffs after a 6-0 start had to be painful to watch for Denver fans...
For me though, it was all about the Titans (of course!). For a team that finished last year 13-3 to start this season at 0-6 was more than dumbfounding, it was downright impossible. They fought back to a respectable 8-8 on the year however, and in the process, Chris Johnson cleared the 2,000 yard plateau (which is exciting), but perhaps more exciting is the forgotten stat; that he has broken Marshall Faulk's ten-year yards from scrimmage record. MVP-type stuff? Maybe... Just maybe...

Master Rudy
5th January 2010, 01:37 AM
Well I'm happier than a pig in mud and shit right now since Gang Green got in. I was easily one of the most hated people in the local sports bar last night the way that game went :lol:

Now some people call me nuts for thinking New York can go all the way. However people forget that we had the best defense in the NFL this season. I honestly think what killed us more than anything was the whole "learning curve" and adjustment period for Mark Sanchez. Playing in cold weather and snow must have been brutal for him at first due to the fact that he never even saw snow until going to New York. Now granted he's still got a way to go. However in recent weeks his performance seems to have gotten much better. Plus his rookie season stats are actually similar to Peyton Manning in his first season. Even if the Jets don't make the Super Bowl we finally managed to get a quarterback who seems to be reliable and will be around for a long time. As long as we can keep our core defense intact, have the O line protect Sanchez and have the combination of Jones and Washington keep on putting up good rushing numbers then I think we may have a team that can rival the Pats ^_~

Mr.E
6th January 2010, 06:12 AM
Jets have no way in hell of making the Super Bowl. :o It's also pathetic that they had to have two teams in a row lay down for them to get in, so I'm not buying this whole "lol dangerous team" nonsense. But hey, they got a good thing going into next year and they could be more "dangerous" for years to come if Sanchez becomes what most of us expect.

Bear
6th January 2010, 01:11 PM
They weren't the top defense until after they faced two teams that rested their starters. If the Clots and Bungles had actually tried they wouldn't even be close to #1. This is why going by stats alone is unreliable. They have a good defense, but far from the best in the league.

Must have been tough watching your two favorite teams play each other. Doing it twice sounds fun.

Master Rudy
7th January 2010, 01:14 AM
Well I can't comment on E's comments but to me it sounds like James is butthurt over the fact that his precious Steelers choked. As a result your now taking it out on the Jets. That's fine by me but remember one thing. They weren't number one just because the Colts and the Bengals "laid down for them." They were number one over the course of the whole year. They had the best rushing defense in the NFL. Now I will admit that we had some bad games over the course of the season. Part of this is due to Sanchez being a rookie. I'll also admit that because he's a rookie that the playoffs might get a little rough. However it would be foolish to underestimate the Jets. Wild Card teams have gotten to and won the Super Bowl before.

As far as the AFC side of things go here's what I think. A Ravens win is the ideal situation for the Jets since games against the Pats have a history of being iffy. This puts us in the 2nd round against the Colts if they win and we beat Cincinnati again. The Colts are tough but I'd take them over the Pats any day. As for the Bengals anyone wanting to scream that we beat the second string of the needs to remember this. We pretty much trounced them in the first half while the starters were on the field for the most part. Benson was the only offensive starter of note that I didn't see start the game. Ochocinco/Johnson twisted his ankle in practice. He attempted to play but left. I already know Benson is playing. If Chad is 100% it might pose some problems if he gets open. However following the game on Sunday I'm not concerned about Cincy. As long as our offense can hit hard early in the game I think we have it. The Colts would be a bit tougher but I firmly believe we can beat them. Finally the Ravens (provided they beat SD). Cincy beat them twice this year. If we take out the Bengals and face the Ravens I think it may rattle them a bit. Now if the Pats win that puts us up against the Chargers. We can also potentially face the Chargers in the AFC Championship if NE gets knocked off early. Either way while they are a tough team I think that we can beat them. Finally there is the chance of the Pats in the AFC Championship. The series for the year is 1-1 so it could go either way. However history shows that we tend to lose to New England when it matters so I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that. Of course if it does then nothing would be sweeter than seeing them get smashed in Foxborough :D

As for potential Super Bowl matchups at this point that can go in so many directions that I couldn't even begin to consider it. However I firmly stick by my original prediction of the Vikings in the Super Bowl ^_~

Oh and before I forget.....in actual football news Jim Zorn has been fired as coach of the Redskins and replaced by none other than Mike Shanahan. I personally can't stand the Skins but I'm going to wait and see what he does with them. Washington has some of the tools that are needed. They just need someone to make them dangerous :P

Drago
7th January 2010, 01:35 AM
Shanahan had his fingerprints all over the QB situation in Denver, and though he never quite got himself another Jon Elway, between him and Heimerdinger, they really managed to mould Jay Cutler into something special. I don't quite think that a lack of Shanahan caused Cutler to go balls up in Chicago (just a bad team there really, plus too much pressure leading to bad decisions with the football), but if Jason Campbell sticks around, there's a chance that Shanahan can really do wonders for him.
I know, you're probably thinking - Jim Zorn was a great QB! Jason Campbell was his project!!

But for many reasons, Zorn didn't seem to have that coaching knack. You couple Shanahan with Campbell, and he'll really explode. Book it.
Or alternatively, Campbell skips town, and 'skins can give Shanahan a fresh new QB from the draft to mould, ala Cutler. Either way, I'm expecting to see a lot more from the Redskins offense next season.

Master Rudy
7th January 2010, 01:54 AM
I personally think Campbell is done with the Skins. If I remember correctly they Redskins were trying to pick up Cassel following his stellar year with New England. If I was in Campbell's place I'm sure I'd be just as pissed as he was.

Campbell is not resigning with Washington. I'd bet money on it if I had money to spare :P

Bear
7th January 2010, 05:07 PM
They had the best rushing defense in the NFL.

Actually no, their pass defense was what put them overall near the top. Pittsburgh had the top rush defense for most of the season, with the Jets somewhere in the middle of the league. They're legit though, I just wanted to correct your statement.

And how do you call the Steelers winning their last 3 games choking? lol.

Seriously though, I hope the Jets DO beat the Bengals, because I want them to prove me wrong. I like the Jets, I just don't think they deserve to be in the playoffs because of their free wins in the last 2 weeks. I doubt either team will advance beyond the divisional round, though.

Master Rudy
7th January 2010, 10:23 PM
Seriously though, I hope the Jets DO beat the Bengals, because I want them to prove me wrong. I like the Jets, I just don't think they deserve to be in the playoffs because of their free wins in the last 2 weeks. I doubt either team will advance beyond the divisional round, though.

Well as a Jets fan first and a Bengals fan second either way it'll be a good game for me. Obviously I'm pulling for New York first but if they lose I can deal with it. Their performance this year has me convinced that we're heading in the right direction at least. As for whoever wins that NYJ/CIN Wild Card game I think that'll be the team to beat in the AFC. Both teams are extremely hungry for a Super Bowl win. Despite 12 playoff appearences the Jets have only won the Super Bowl once (Super Bowl III in 1969). You'd figure after 40 years it'd be about time for a win. As for Cincy they haven't been in a Super Bowl (or even won one for that matter) since giving one away to the 49ers in the 1980's.

Mark my words. The AFC Champs are either going to be the Jets or the Bengals......and that's not a blind, insane fan talking. Both teams have been underestimated in quite a few games this year and it cost those teams dearly. Anyone who does that in the playoffs may as well go home now :P

Bear
8th January 2010, 08:12 AM
Underestimated they might be, but no way in hell there is that they will beat San Diego or Indianapolis. God I hope New England loses this weekend...

Jeff
8th January 2010, 08:25 AM
That makes two of us.

toucheiruka
8th January 2010, 06:27 PM
make that three.

I don't care WHAT anybody says, I'm still looking fowards to a Colts/Saints Super Bowl.

Bear
9th January 2010, 12:18 AM
I need Manning to win the Super Bowl to further cement my argument for why Manning > Brady. People keep citing Brady's 3 rings and if Manning wins this year it'll give him 2, closing the gap to a mere 1 Super Bowl and thereby making it less of a deciding factor in the argument.

toucheiruka
9th January 2010, 12:55 PM
I need Manning to win the Super Bowl to further cement my argument for why Manning > Brady. People keep citing Brady's 3 rings and if Manning wins this year it'll give him 2, closing the gap to a mere 1 Super Bowl and thereby making it less of a deciding factor in the argument.

The Colts in general > Patriots

Manning has at least 2 Super Bowls left in him. Brady on the other hand, might get one.

Roy Karrde
9th January 2010, 01:22 PM
I am officially terrified that this game will be a repeat like the NYG game a few years back, and that the Cowboys will lose to the Eagles tonight after beating them twice in the regular season.

Drago
9th January 2010, 07:48 PM
Peyton Manning is a playoff choke artist. A regular-season demon, no doubt, but come playoff time, he is incapable of carrying his team in the same way he does throughout a season. The Colts got to the Super Bowl three years back just because the defence finally came alive. And Peyton Manning as Super Bowl MVP? Ludicrous. Just the NFL's way of capping the season off for their QB wet dream. Real Super Bowl MVP? Dominic freakin' Rhodes. And Justin Tuck the next year. They just didn't have the balls to call it like it was.

Manning this year's MVP? Yup, that's alright. I'll give 'em that. But last year? That was bullshit. Kurt Warner gave that team life from beginning to end, while Manning came out of the gates like shit. How can a player who nearly helped cost your team a playoff berth be considered the MVP?

If you're comparing Brady and Manning, it's pretty simple. Manning = better overall QB. Brady = better clutch player. And when the NFL is all about winning Super Bowls, when it comes to playoff time, I'd rather Manning be polishing his precious MVP trophies on the bench.

Chargers/Vikings Super Bowl ftw, since my dreams of Bengals/Cardinals is halfway ruined already.

Jeff
10th January 2010, 12:42 PM
Wow. Just freaking wow.

Edit: ... and Flacco throws another interception. Well, fun while it lasted.

Mr.E
10th January 2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a bit disappointed the Pats didn't win, so the Jets could rematch the Colts next week, but it sure felt good watching them get beat down like that.

also HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS?

Brady = better clutch player.

Might have to throw that one out the window after today, and pending what Manning does this postseason.

Bear
10th January 2010, 05:20 PM
Man I hate the Cowboys, but they are playing near perfect football right now. Unless the Vikings bring their A-game, I see the NFC championship being Saints-Cowboys

Link
13th January 2010, 07:43 PM
The Vikings have a tough task ahead of them. Divisional playoffs and then the championship are all they have ahead of them to get into the Superbowl. Brett favre may just have to wait another year, competition is stiff nowadays in the NFL with Manning and Brees.

Master Rudy
14th January 2010, 12:58 AM
Well we've been talking about the NFL Playoffs quite a bit recently. But now for something completely different......

ITZCr6gR8gA

Seriously guys......does John Madden do this shit on purpose? XD

toucheiruka
14th January 2010, 06:29 PM
Well we've been talking about the NFL Playoffs quite a bit recently. But now for something completely different......

ITZCr6gR8gA

Seriously guys......does John Madden do this shit on purpose? XD
I didn't even start the video when I started cracking up, I think Madden has something to hide....

Master Rudy
15th January 2010, 04:49 AM
You gotta love John Madden. Always a great source for questionable quotes. As for my video the surprising thing is that he's done this about three or four times! :lol:
My personal fav was the time the QB got sacked by a defensive player he didn't see. Cue Madden saying "I love it when a big black guy gets them from behind!" 0_0

Roy Karrde
17th January 2010, 11:21 PM
To all the Vikings and Farve fans, let me be the first Dallas fan to say you guys played a awesome game. I have never seen the Dallas Offense shut down so effectively, and truly I hope this year is the year Farve makes it to the Super Bowl. Good luck to all of you in Minnesota.

mr_pikachu
17th January 2010, 11:48 PM
Is anyone projecting Favre vs. the Jets in XLIV yet?

Master Rudy
18th January 2010, 02:08 AM
Is anyone projecting Favre vs. the Jets in XLIV yet?

Well back in November when the season outlook for the Jets was looking grim I went with my 2nd choice (the Bengals) and predicted Cincy/Vikes on the 25th. I'm still half right but for a time it was getting closer and closer to happening. However over the past few week New York's turnaround was unexpected and I fully believe we're riding this thing all the way to Miami!

That being said there's already a few announcers predicting Jets/Vikes. I've a feeling that it'll be a great game to watch if that's how it turns out ^_~

Bear
18th January 2010, 11:32 AM
Saints vs Clots, end of story. Peyton "Robot" Manning won't make the same mistakes Rivers did.

mr_pikachu
24th January 2010, 03:49 PM
Manning has been largely mistake-free since the scoreless first quarter, but the Colts' defense is responsible for an 80-yard TD pass and a 17-13 deficit at the half. The sports nation is watching with bated breath as we all prepare for a collective "Holy shit."

EDIT: As soon as I say that, of course, the Jets decide that they've scored enough points and Indy racks up 17 more. There's hardly a need to watch the final two minutes.

Jeff
24th January 2010, 05:34 PM
Yeah.

I was just telling my brothers how it's funny that the Jets of this year paralleled last season's Ravens. Both teams had a rookie head coach and a rookie quarterback, made it all the way to the AFC championship as a wildcard team and were denied a win there.

Well, time to find out who the Colts will be taking on.

mr_pikachu
24th January 2010, 09:31 PM
So much for Jets-Vikings. Instead it's Manning vs. Brees, coming soon to a television near you.

Jeff
24th January 2010, 09:36 PM
I was hoping for a Manning-Favre matchup, but oh well. Way to go Saints on making it into the big game for the first time. May the game be good, and the officials neutral.

Master Rudy
25th January 2010, 02:51 AM
Kinda glad I was at work and unable to watch the game on a TV. It's like we weren't fucking there in the second half. Oh well.....still a very strong finish to the season. With a good rookie QB and coach I think we're finally on the road to becoming a real threat year to year as opposed to a team that can put forth one good season out of every three. Plus with Manning about to enter the end of his career and the potential start of Tom Brady's decline, I think the shape of the AFC in the decade to come is going to be very different.

kainashi
25th January 2010, 10:26 AM
Plus with Manning about to enter the end of his career and the potential start of Tom Brady's decline, I think the shape of the AFC in the decade to come is going to be very different.couldn't help but laugh at that part of your post. both have several good years left if healthy, especially manning.

Mr.E
25th January 2010, 03:11 PM
I can hardly believe it, it's actually the battle of the 16... oh wait, nevermind.

Drago
26th January 2010, 01:23 AM
Week 1, 2007. New Orleans @ Indianapolis. 10-41 Indy, Drew Brees narrowly avoids breaking the record for fewest yards per completion. At one point in the game, he held the record, but stringed together a few long balls late to boost his YPC to a piddly 6.85.

Difference now? Saints have a defence. Colts are down starvin' Marvin, but with Garcon and Colley, it just proves that either the Colts have a sixth sense in nabbing receivers, or you could just plug anyone into that system on the other end of Manning. More inclined to think the latter. If Mike Williams had been drafted by Indy, would he have lived up to his first round billing? Irrelevant.

This game terrifies me. The only good thing I can cite is that I have more faith in these Saints than I did in the '06 Bears, who outside of Thomas Jones, had NOBODY on offence.

Link
26th January 2010, 10:25 AM
Favre blew it for the Vikings... I admit, he did well up until that point.

mr_pikachu
3rd February 2010, 07:34 PM
Saints Win Super Bowl (http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/saints-win-super-bowl-says-madden-nfl/1387788)

It is inevitable, Mr. Anderson.

kainashi
3rd February 2010, 08:03 PM
i think the saints deserve it but i also think the colts will most likely win. going to be a great super bowl. :)

mr_pikachu
7th February 2010, 06:57 PM
10-6 Colts at the half, and the announcers just retracted their earlier prediction of a high-scoring game. Watch each team break 30 points now.

EDIT: The Who's halftime show isn't what I would call bad, at least not compared with the Springsteen disaster last year. It's hardly what I'd call "great" -- every time any fireworks are launched, the television feed crackles with horrid static, and Daltrey's way out of breath the way Springsteen was -- but at least they're not knocking over cameras and outright missing notes.

Ultimate Charizard
7th February 2010, 07:15 PM
...or getting Boo'd off stage because they didnt sing one of their biggest hits.

mr_pikachu
7th February 2010, 07:22 PM
ONSIDE KICK TO START THE SECOND HALF! HOLY SHIT! SAINTS BALL!

Ultimate Charizard
7th February 2010, 07:34 PM
Thats the kind of shit only underdogs can try. They really have nothing to lose, all the expectation is on the Colts so the Saints can throw everything at it and come up with those kinda things that win Superbowls. Look at the Giants vs the Patriots a couple of years back. Was exactly the same thing.

mr_pikachu
7th February 2010, 07:47 PM
Why can't favorites try to take advantage when the opposition is asleep? Because they're afraid of the post-game news conference?

If a coach is more concerned about Monday-morning quarterbacks than doing everything you can to have the higher final score, he's in the wrong profession. It'd sure catch me off-guard to see the Colts pull a third quarter online kick, I'll tell you that much.

I get that, yes, statistically the favorite should be the better team. There's a reason that the underdog sometimes wins, though. I have to believe that that if/when the tables turn, you simply must do whatever is necessary to turn them back -- even if, on paper, it looks a little crazy.

Anyway. 17-13, Colts. Three minutes left in the 3rd. Saints driving.

Telume
7th February 2010, 08:02 PM
Most of my friends want the Saints to win, they're tired of the Mannings.

mr_pikachu
7th February 2010, 08:22 PM
Most of my friends are going for the Colts... I, on the other hand, have despised the Mannings for several years. (The only reason I was happy about XLII was because Eli was the lesser of two evils.)

24-17 with under six minutes. Can the robot pull off another endgame comeback, or will the Saints complete their miracle?

EDIT: The Saints go marching in! 31-17 with under a minute left, and the Colts give it away on downs.

Jeff
7th February 2010, 08:58 PM
Was rooting for the Saints since Indy beat the Ravens in the playoffs, and I've been tired of all the Manning hype. My dad, however, was rooting for the Colts since they used to be Baltimore's team. At least the good thing about the Steelers playing last year was that everyone in my house knew who to root against.

Anyway congrats New Orleans! You know the party there is going to be going on probably until next Super Bowl.

Master Rudy
7th February 2010, 09:18 PM
Bleh......didn't want to see the Saints win. From my understanding it was almost like they were trying to hurt Favre in the NFC Championship (the number of "Roughing the Passer" calls seems to support that). That's the kind of disgraceful shit that teams like the Steelers usually try to pull. Oh well.....at least it wasn't a Pats or Steelers win I guess :-/

With the regular season over I'm changing this topic title to reflect the fact that's it's now the off season. Feel free to post any rumors or interesting tidbits of news that you guys can find or hear about. First off: rumors of Chad Johnson apparently claiming that TO is leaving Buffalo for Cincy. Anyone hear about this one yet?

mr_pikachu
7th February 2010, 09:27 PM
I don't have anything from the rumor mill, but it's worth noting again that the Madden games have now correctly predicted the Super Bowl winner six out of the last seven years. (They, like everyone else in the world, missed Giants d. Patriots.)

On a somewhat related note, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is looking for a way to reduce concussions in football (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-goodell&prov=ap&type=lgns). I figure they can just let the Madden games decide the outcome and allow the players a week of rest. Maybe we'll be able to simulate a decent halftime show, too.

Ultimate Charizard
7th February 2010, 09:40 PM
Easy way to reduce concussions is to teach tackling technique thats a bit more involved than 'run headfirst into someone as fast as you can'.

Look at Rugby League, its a very similar sport with 90% less padding/armour and all players playing both attack and defence (not to mention a roster of only 25 guys as opposed to something in the 50's), play almost 30 regular season games a year with no bye week, a seperate cup competition run alongside the main league and followed by the International Calendar of games after all that etc and Rugby players dont suffer half the injuries that Football players do. Of course Football players are prettier than Rugby players and get paid a hell of alot more too ;).

Master Rudy
7th February 2010, 09:59 PM
I don't have anything from the rumor mill, but it's worth noting again that the Madden games have now correctly predicted the Super Bowl winner six out of the last seven years. (They, like everyone else in the world, missed Giants d. Patriots.)

Hmm.....was I really the only one crazy enough to believe that the Giants would be the ones to finally beat the Patriots? Seriously in that whole week leading up to the Super Bowl I kept saying the Pats would choke.....granted I admit that I did get worried up until the the final drive but still. Considering how much noise all the cum guzzling Brady fans were making I had a very strong feeling on the matter.

I seriously should have dropped about $200-$300 on that one......then again with my luck that would have been all the Giants would have needed to lose it :-/

Drago
7th February 2010, 10:21 PM
Look at Rugby League, its a very similar sport with 90% less padding/armour and all players playing both attack and defence (not to mention a roster of only 25 guys as opposed to something in the 50's), play almost 30 regular season games a year with no bye week, a seperate cup competition run alongside the main league and followed by the International Calendar of games after all that etc and Rugby players dont suffer half the injuries that Football players do.
But in all fairness, you don't have players in rugby standing in the middle of traffic like QBs do, leaping up high to catch wayward passes as WRs do, or getting tackled by dudes the size of Ted Washington.

http://espn.go.com/i/page2/photos/041122washington.jpg

The reason there's a different injury level is because they're different sports. Similar, but different.

Also: AW HELL YEAH SAINTS!! Take that you sumbitch Colts!!

Ultimate Charizard
7th February 2010, 11:15 PM
Thing is that guys his size are rarely running at you with the same force your running at them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eqLua9Og7E&feature=related

...and thats an average one cos i couldnt be bothered searching through lots lol.

mr_pikachu
7th February 2010, 11:33 PM
Hmm.....was I really the only one crazy enough to believe that the Giants would be the ones to finally beat the Patriots? Seriously in that whole week leading up to the Super Bowl I kept saying the Pats would choke.....granted I admit that I did get worried up until the the final drive but still.

Well, the majority of my undergraduate dormitory was rooting for New York all the way. I thought it was possible that the Giants would pull it out, as the Pats had worn themselves thin over 18 games of football. With that said, I wouldn't have dared to bet on that upset. It still seemed more likely that New England would complete the 19-0 run, even if it wasn't a certainty.

Master Rudy
8th February 2010, 04:50 AM
JD_n7ExZVZk

As far as Super Bowl ads went this year I didn't really care for too many of them. However this was my personal fav of the bunch. Say what you will about Favre but I always did like his sense of humor and ability to poke fun at himself (case in point the Sears commercial from the start of the season)

A close 2nd place this year was the Bridgestone ad with the killer whale XD

Heald
8th February 2010, 07:03 AM
So after enjoying last year's Superbowl, I thought I'd give it a shot again this year.

Pretty fun game. We were playing a drinking game that involved a rule that meant you swigged every time Katrina, floods, hurricanes or survivors were mentioned. I got through a lot of beer.

Watching Porter's ace interception was, frankly, amazing. I love how stuff like this happens in the big events. That whole bit with the video ref is also a nice bit of controversy to spice things up.

As for the half-time show, I'm a big Who fan so I enjoyed it, and we didn't get any of the delay or crap on BBC 1, plus the performance was really good.

We didn't get any ads on the BBC feed. Did they show that pro-life advert? Was it as controversial as it was made out to be? I can't find a video of it, only a bunch of dicks who have uploaded their responses to the ad, like anyone gives two shits what they think.

mr_pikachu
8th February 2010, 07:13 AM
Game: It seems like everything fell the Saints' way, really. The onside kick, the turnover on downs-no-wait-it's-a-touchdown, and yes, the huge interception return that all but ended the showdown. Well, the last one was more about good preparation by the Saints and poor vision by Manning, but still.

Halftime show: I love the Who as well, actually. I know several of their songs (almost) by heart, so I was lip-syncing along to a lot of the lyrics. But I do get the sense that the vocals are a struggle now... there's no power in those vocal cords. (The instrumentals, on the other hand, still rocked.)

Commercials: I missed a lot of them, actually. I was at Wingstop until the end of the first quarter, and they had the TVs on... but the volume was off. Their radio, which was several seconds faster than the video feed, blared game commentary. That meant incomprehensible commercials.

Drinking: How's the hangover, Heald?

Heald
8th February 2010, 07:29 AM
I've felt better. But nothing a good dose of whiskey and a fry-up won't fix.

Jeff
8th February 2010, 08:16 AM
I liked it. It was a good game, the halftime show was pretty good, although I wasn't impressed with the vocals either, and the commercials were good as usual. Some of my favorite ads that I remember off the top of my head included the Doritos anti-bark collar, the Budweiser human bridge, and the house of beer.

The pro-life commercial was nothing. If you didn't know about it beforehand, you'd just think it was about some website you could go to to read about Tim Tebow's life story. Even though the website itself is for a pro-life organization, the commercial didn't mention anything about abortion, and it's pretty easy to see why it was approved. Basically a big fuss over nothing.

Edit: here's the link to the ads (http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/superbowlcommercials?ttag=SBAD10_tv_all_cspt_os_va n_0001). It's on CBS's site, so it's probably region locked, but at least worth a try.

Master Rudy
21st March 2010, 02:53 AM
Yes NFL news is scarce as of late. However with the draft around the corner as well as plenty of free agents and trades happening as of late I felt it was a good time to bring the topic back to the front page.

If you haven't heard the biggest news of the past week already then just look at my avatar :P

Mr.E
21st March 2010, 04:17 PM
BIG NEWS: The Jets dumped their aging RB for an aging RB who's a lot more worn down.

kainashi
21st March 2010, 07:28 PM
BIG NEWS: The Jets dumped their aging RB for an aging RB who's a lot more worn down.everyone thinks ldt is going to dominate this year too for some reason. :rolleyes:

Drago
3rd April 2010, 04:07 AM
Anyone starting to take interest in the Browns? Now they've added Chris Gocong and Sheldon Brown from the Eagles... They seem to be adding a lot of solid players to the roster. In my opinion, if Jake Delhomme returns to form, he really makes the Browns a competitive team.

On that token, it's a shame that the Cards had to replace Kurt Warner with Derek Anderson. It'll be Josh McCown-type seasons all over again for Arizona at this rate...

EDIT: Holy shit, Donovan McNabb is a Redskin. :o :eek:

Mr.E
6th April 2010, 02:38 AM
Yep, some fun football news this past week or so.

Master Rudy
26th May 2010, 09:56 PM
A very interesting story that's got this Jets fan excited:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-pro-football-super-bowl-new-york-2014

Jersey won the bid to host Super Bowl XLVIII :eek:

To date the Super Bowl has mainly been hosted in warm weather cities or cities where the stadium is a dome since the game is played in the middle of the winter. That's part of the reason why Cali and Florida have hosted so many. Obviously since this one is three and a half years away there's no predicting what teams will be there or what the weather will be like. However when you consider how New York/Jersey weather is in the middle of Febuary......well needless to say it might get interesting if there's a big snowstorm going into the game. Plus think of how insane that crowd is going to be if the Giants or the Jets make it to the Super Bowl (or for that matter both)

It's going to be fun to see how this plays out......shame it's so far away :-/

Drago
10th June 2010, 02:39 PM
I would love to see a bad weather Super Bowl. Devin Hester returning the opening kickoff against the Colts in the rain was a thing of beauty. Just a shame that the rest of the game was tragic. The only concern I have is that it tips the scales in favour of the cold weather teams (Packers for example, who under the helm of Aaron Rodgers could realistically be in the Bowl at that point)

Mr.E
17th June 2010, 04:24 AM
So a Super Bowl in Miami, for example, doesn't tip the game in favor of a warm-weather team?

Master Rudy
17th June 2010, 09:43 PM
So a Super Bowl in Miami, for example, doesn't tip the game in favor of a warm-weather team?

Very good point right there. Plus some of the greatest games of all time have been in some rather nasty weather conditions.

Mr.E
22nd June 2010, 12:34 AM
lol steve smith, etc.

woz
22nd June 2010, 05:07 PM
i hope snowflake doesnt get kidnapped this time

Master Rudy
29th July 2010, 02:55 AM
i hope snowflake doesnt get kidnapped this time

Hooray for obscure movie references! XD

Alrighty then.....time to get the ball rolling on yet another year of NFL action. To start things off in case you haven't heard TO is coming to Cincy. As always I'm a Jets fan first but since Cincy is my hometown you can fully expect me to keep an occasional eye on the Bengals as well.

Commence the "Ochostinko and Too Old Show!" jokes...... :P

Drago
29th July 2010, 03:21 AM
I just want to see what happens when TO drops to third on the depth chart. That'll be fun to watch!

Also, is anyone finding the size of this thread a bit cumbersome? I could archive this one as '09 and start fresh, if anyone wanted. I'd prefer it that way myself, but if nobody else is fussed I won't.

Master Rudy
29th July 2010, 06:19 AM
I just want to see what happens when TO drops to third on the depth chart. That'll be fun to watch!

Also, is anyone finding the size of this thread a bit cumbersome? I could archive this one as '09 and start fresh, if anyone wanted. I'd prefer it that way myself, but if nobody else is fussed I won't.

Hmm.....this is true. If you want to start a fresh one Drago then by all means do it. I've got no problems with that.

As for TO I highly doubt the Bengals picked him up to make him third on the chart. First and second will be Chad and TO. I've no doubt that's the gameplan they currently have in mind barring any serious problems at the training camp.