PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico becoming a state?

Telume
1st August 2009, 11:52 AM
What do you guys think?

My opinion:

I'm not really for it or against it. There are benefits either way, although I think the benefits of becoming a state kind of outweigh the benefits of going independent. There's also just staying the way the are which is a commonwealth.

The reality:

On the one hand, if you go independent, you enjoy sovereignty and you have nothing to do with the US. Not only that but now you get to have your own president instead of just a governor.

The downside to this is that NOW, you have to kind of fend for yourself, you lose american citizenship and any assistance you were given under the US umbrella. Not only that but you have to raise funds for yourself which kinda means you have to start taxing stuff. Not only that but Puerto Ricans would find it hard to give up US citizenship which they would have to do if they went independent.

As it is Puerto Rico is in bad shape right now.

On the other hand, gaining statehood means you don't have to worry about funding because the USA will provide it for you since you're no longer just a territory. You gain the right to vote in presidential elections AND you pretty much gain protection from outside threats because you're a US State. And last, your american citizenship is pretty much irrevocable.

Downside to this is that you lose your non-taxable status. And some opposers to this law state that Puerto Rico would lose its cultural identity if they became a state. And yes you would lose independence, but, would that really be such a bad thing considering how bad a shape Puerto Rico is in right now?

Last is remaining the way it is, which is as a commonwealth. There's nothing bad to this as a matter of fact most of the time when the issue of statehood came up most people just opted to stay a commonwealth of the US. Mostly because you could move between Puerto Rico and the mainland freely and there was no hassle because you were a US citizen.

The downside to remaining a commonwealth is that you lose certain rights US citizens have, you can't vote in the presidential election, and I'm pretty sure there are a few others they don't have but I don't remember what they are.

So there it is, TPM I pass the baton to you.

DarkestLight
1st August 2009, 01:20 PM
Commonwealth. Most kids think its a damn state anyway. Just keep it. They're not going anywhere :O

Master Rudy
1st August 2009, 06:27 PM
Downside to this is that you lose your non-taxable status.

Last is remaining the way it is, which is as a commonwealth. There's nothing bad to this as a matter of fact most of the time when the issue of statehood came up most people just opted to stay a commonwealth of the US. Mostly because you could move between Puerto Rico and the mainland freely and there was no hassle because you were a US citizen.

Not the first time this has ever come up but I think these are the main reasons why becoming a state got voted down last time. Sure they can't vote for the President but I doubt they care. They get some of the benefits of being a US citizen without downsides such as paying taxes.

I personally think they should have those benefits revoked if PR doesn't want to become a state. I will admit that I don't know what they get and don't get but I do know they are considered US citizens and they don't pay the taxes we do. That part is the one that rubs me the wrong way :-/

Telume
1st August 2009, 07:26 PM
Well it's not just that it's also the fact that they kind of lose their cultural identity. The entire country speaks English, they don't. So they think by becoming a state they're gonna be forced to speak English.

Which is actually not true. As a matter of fact in the US, Engish is the DE FACTO language. Which means you don't actually have to speak English.

Houndoom_Lover
2nd August 2009, 01:23 PM
Commonwealths have it made- I don't see why you'd give that up. You can vote AND not pay taxes. Its nice.

Will we have to change the flag after this?

Telume
2nd August 2009, 07:37 PM
Commonwealths have it made- I don't see why you'd give that up. You can vote AND not pay taxes. Its nice.

Will we have to change the flag after this?

Well, you're PARTIALLY right. YOU CAN vote, just not in presidential elections. The territories DO vote but the vote doesn't actually count towards the popular vote. You DON'T pay taxes but the flip side is mentioned on my original post. You have no way to raise money for yourself. Which is currently what Puerto Rico is suffering, they've had to close government offices AND schools. And hell they've had to delay their school year because they didn't have the money to pay the teachers.

And yes, we will. 51 stars ft something?