PDA

View Full Version : Twitter?

PancaKe
4th August 2009, 08:34 AM
Well, yeah. I gave in to peer pressure.

http://www.twitter.com/haisuphelga

The only reason I'm actually using it is because I can get instant news. Being a journalist-to-be, that's pretty handy for quickly coming up with spin off stories. That's why I'm all of a sudden so active on twitter.

But hey, what do you guys think of it?

Before I started using it, I thought it was lame and silly. It's still pretty pointless, but there's something kinda fun about shouting random thoughts into cyberspace.

Do you guys have twitter? Let's follow each other! ^___^

Unbraced
4th August 2009, 09:48 AM
^my thoughts exactly.

I did it for my friends, and now they never tweet. it is fun posting jokes though.

http://twitter.com/guywithbrain

Jeff
4th August 2009, 10:40 AM
I never understood the appeal of it. It's just Facebook's status updates. I can already do everything it can do on Facebook, and upload photos, and chat, and write full blog entries, and...

Fett One
4th August 2009, 03:26 PM
Personally, I have no use for it. I rarely use the status update on Facebook because I usually have nothing I want to say. As such, Twitter would be a waste of time for me since I would very rarely use it.

Telume
4th August 2009, 05:23 PM
I abandoned my facebook account so I don't think I need to say much else... I just don't like social networking sites like that.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
4th August 2009, 10:09 PM
Facebook's enough for me. I don't even know if Twitter is popular among Finnish internet users. Correct if I'm wrong, but to me, it seems you can do a lot more with Facebook. Everything that you can do with Twitter you can do with Facebook as well and everything you can't do with Twitter you can, however, do in Facebook.

Internet is full of these ways of communicating.

Houndoom_Lover
4th August 2009, 10:11 PM
Twitters be around for sometime. Didn't it start up as simply away to chat to get around instant measage blocks and now its exploded into this. I don't like any of those facey profile stuff ^_^ A good old forums the way to go- Woo-woo!

Telume
5th August 2009, 01:15 AM
Since we're going on about communication:

That's kind of how IRC started up. It used to be just 10-20 people but in the early 2000s it reached over a million users and slowly it's been settling. Not really growing or shrinking.

Interesting fact: soldiers used it to communicate their families for Operation Desert Storm in the Gulf War (circa 1991). Neat isn't it?

Angel Blossom
5th August 2009, 05:21 AM
Just another stupid and pointless e-fad that I'm trying my best to avoid.

Little_Pikachu
5th August 2009, 11:47 AM
I heard it was better than Face Book because you could get instant updates on what your friends were doing i.e. "Josh has just had beans for tea"...

The Internet is really shit these days, huh?

Telume
5th August 2009, 12:57 PM
Doesn't IM/IRC/Whatever someone KIND of serve the same purpose??

Drago
6th August 2009, 02:38 AM
It all seems a bit pointless to me. The only reason I got into it was to hear the tweets of various Titans players. Chris Johnson makes the English language cry. :(

www.twitter.com/tackhead9

Chris 2.1
8th August 2009, 07:39 PM
The way I see it there is a huge divide in Twitter. The famous and the normal.

Twitter allows normal people to see into the lives of celebrities via the medium of 'what are you doing?'. People get a kick out of hearing that Kanye West is in Starbucks. We like to know that Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore are watching Scrubs and eating popcorn.

Because of this glimpse into celebrities personal lives, we actually feel like celebrities are normal people. It's a great way to strip away that facade that of rich and famous and people can easily connect with them by understanding them more.

But it doesn't really go the same way.

You can follow people on Twitter, and they can follow you. Frankly I was alarmed when complete strangers started following me before learning that this was quite normal to build up a repetoire of fans. But then, I wonder, if I do the courteous thing, and follow them back, my Twitter, which allows me to stalk those famous people I am mysterious drawn to, will be clogged with Joe Normal telling me he's off to HMV to buy a CD. Joe Normal; I could not care.

This, to me, is the problem. People aren't interesting to follow unless they're famous and you can say "hey! Amy Winehouse is having a shower before going to Pizza Express with friends! How interesting!" It adds a dimension to the side of celebrites that appear two-dimension and irritating. So it's a little bit like stalking.

Even my friends are boring to follow. I know Charlie is going for a kick about in the park - I'm with him! I know Dave is at work because.....he works weekends. And if Niall and Jess are having an anniversary meal I'd rather not know any more. So you can imagine that people (strangers who are following me, to which it is Twittequette [twitter ettiquette - I coined that phrase right now] to follow back) who I dont know at all are very uninteresting to follow.

That is my dissertation on Twitter :p

Magmar
10th August 2009, 08:54 AM
I think it's stalkerish and stupid. I think the governments are trying to get us all used to being stalked wherever and whatever we're doing by anybody because they are looking to do it to us too.

MToolen
10th August 2009, 11:40 AM
I think it's stalkerish and stupid. I think the governments are trying to get us all used to being stalked wherever and whatever we're doing by anybody because they are looking to do it to us too.

No, that would require the governments to be organized enough to come to a consensus on this secret mind control thing. I'm not even sure they're organized enough to come to a consensus on the toast butter-up/butter-down debate.

Yeah, I've got one. I don't use it all that often, mostly to keep up with webcomics and a friend or two whom I wouldn't be otherwise able to.

http://twitter.com/emptyqbd

Ipwnyou
16th August 2009, 11:55 PM
I never understood the appeal of it. It's just Facebook's status updates. I can already do everything it can do on Facebook, and upload photos, and chat, and write full blog entries, and...

facebook has a blog?
are you speaking of the "notes" app?

Jeff
17th August 2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah. As I understand it was originally added so members could blog. That's what it usually ends up getting used for too.