PDA

View Full Version : Machamp moveset

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
4th August 2009, 11:20 AM
Posting this here as I don't want an entire team rated but only a single Pokémon.

Machamp
252 HP, 252 Atk
~ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts

Earthquake
Cross Chop
Stone Edge
Facade

I have a question whether I understand the Guts ability correctly. Guts adds 50% to the Atk stat when a status condition is on Machamp; that is given since it holds a Toxic Orb. If my knowledge is correct the attack Facade (base power 70) doubles its strength when the Pokémon is poisoned, paralyzed or burnt; again this is given due to the Toxic Orb.

Thus is my calculation correct that given the above conditions Facade would have a power of 210 (70 x 2 x 1,5)?

Knight of Time
4th August 2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah, that's right Alex, with Guts boosting Facade, it would have a base of 210, which would make it pretty good in Machamp's hands.

But, you could always swap the Toxic Orb for a Flame Orb if you wanted, which I believe would make Machamp last a little longer in battle, which is up to you. Besides that, Guts prevents the attack drop when a Pokemon is burned, so just go with what you think is better.

Number1ChanseyFan
4th August 2009, 09:22 PM
Burn takes off 1/8 of maximum HP each turn, while Toxic takes off 1/16 each turn, but the amount lost by Toxic increases by another 1/16 each turn. So basically, Machamp would be better off with the Toxic Orb for the first 2 turns, but by the 4th turn, Burn Orb does less damage. Of course, that is assuming no switching out, which resets Toxic back to 1/16 damage.

Anyways, the moveset looks pretty good to me. The elemental punches are other possible options too instead of Stone Edge, as is Rock Slide if you want to trade some Strength for a little more accuracy, but that is totally up to you, you really don't need to change anything. :)

DarkestLight
4th August 2009, 11:17 PM
O.o uuuuh No. Cross Chop is too inaccurate for my tastes. Brick Break would be suitable enough since it would get STAB off of it. Stone Edge too...but better to have one slightly inaccurate attack than 2. I'm thinking this cause yer using Guts and not No Guard.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
5th August 2009, 04:08 AM
The Burn-condition also takes away physical attack-power from the pokemon that is burned. Thus Toxic-orb would be better in case of Machamp, since he relies on physical strenght.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th August 2009, 05:31 AM
MLG, a pokemon with Guts ignores the 50% attack decrease caused by burn and gets a 50% increase instead.

Knight of Time
5th August 2009, 09:18 AM
Of course, another option would be having the No Guard ability instead of Guts, but if you use this one, you should leave Facade out, and get Dynamicpunch in there somewhere (with No Guard, both Machamp and its opponent's moves would have 100% accuracy), preferably over Cross Chop. In this case, the fourth move should be something to add to the type coverage, since there are a few Ghost types that wall Earthquake, Payback is an option here, too, but if you have to go for an item for this moveset, go with the Leftovers.

Again, either ability works, as long as you have good type coverage depending on which one suits you more.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
5th August 2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the many replies so far.

I consider switching Stone Edge with Ice Punch which can be turtored in Platinum.

No Guard's a no go more or less currently as I don't really have the time right now to breed another decent Machamp and level it up and train its EVs.

Brick Break might be a good option too. Guess I'll give it a go and do a solo-battle against my sturdiest Normal and Rock type Pokémon to see if it does adequate enough damage.

juuichiban-taicho
5th August 2009, 08:25 PM
im curious why hp evs personally im a fan of speed to get the edge added to the fact that toxic and burn are percentage based

DarkestLight
5th August 2009, 08:42 PM
juuichiban: Machamp's speed isn't worth the time?

Usually its gonna be faster than most Rock/Bulky Steel types anyway, and anything that's faster is gonna hafta hope to OHKO it, or its gonna get broken by any hit from the 'Champ; thanks to Guts.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th August 2009, 08:58 PM
Sorry Juuichiban but I am going to have to side with Dark here Machamp has enough Defense and Special Defense to survive a few attacks before bringing them down with a huge attack.