PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Truth: Mexico vs. USA (World Cup Qualifier)

Telume
11th August 2009, 11:52 PM
I'm a die-hard follower of the US National Team as you may have already figured out and I want to hear some opinions, I hope I'm not annoying a ton of people with my obsession and if I am... too bad.

The stories -
USA: Coming off a rather high note after making a historic run to their first FIFA Final, the US is out to prove that this was no fluke. USA also has a score to settle after their, albeit experimental, side was routed by an also mostly-experimental Mexico side in the Gold Cup 5-0 at home. The experimental side will not be the one facing Mexico in Estadio Azteca tomorrow, rather it will be the players who made the run to the FIFA Confederations Cup Final. The final note is that the US has NEVER won in Estadio Azteca, only a 1-1 draw in a World Cup Qualifier in '97.

Mexico: Coming off a rather low ebb in their history. A string of poor results in World Cup qualifying which was not helped by a 2-0 loss on Feb. 11th 2009 to their old arch-foes to the North, the USA in Columbus. The morale was given a further blow in June when they failed to convince in a 2-1 win to Trinidad and Tobago. The morale however has been boosted after defeating an experimental US side 5-0 in the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup. The win ended a 10 year dominance USA had at home to CONCACAF sides. (58 matches unbeaten to a CONCACAF opponent, impressive no?)

The stakes -

If the US wins or draws, Mexico's campaign will most certainly be taking a HUGE blow, not to mention the media backlash since Mexico currently sits in the play-off spot for CONCACAF qualifying, and COULD be overtaken by El Salvador or Trinidad and Tobago who sit right below them and not too far behind. If Mexico wins, it will be a morale booster for Mexico since they haven't had things going their way in quite some time.

So now it's over to you, Fans unite and post your opinions! I'd love to hear them!

MToolen
12th August 2009, 12:38 AM
I'm the most hardcore about US national soccer in my family, but that's just because I know they exist. I hope they make it far, but I'm not too into it just yet. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what year the World Cup is just off the top of my head. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's next year, but I could be wrong.

Master Rudy
12th August 2009, 12:49 AM
I'm not entirely sure what year the World Cup is just off the top of my head. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's next year, but I could be wrong.

I'm about 90% sure it's ever four years and held the same year as the summer Olympics. And I don't even WATCH soccer! :lol:

In any case while I don't overly like soccer it would be cool if they did win. I know the US team has been considered a joke for years. That much I do know.

Telume
12th August 2009, 11:28 AM
Actually Rudy, you're wrong it's 2010. 2012 is when the Olympics and the EURO are.

And yes, in the past we've been considered a joke. Most of the bigger nations now though no longer consider us a joke and do take us seriously. Mostly because when we play we have nothing to play for and that usually makes a team most dangerous in competition.

Most recent example of this is Spain. They underestimated us just a bit and they ended up losing 2-0 (I STILL to this day just can't believe we managed to do that.)