PDA

View Full Version : The Unemployed Thread

Weasel Overlord
20th August 2009, 05:37 AM
I suppose the title says it all. I was wondering how many people, other than me, are unemployed here at TPM. Since the job climate is as bad now as it's ever been (save for the great Crash thingy I've been hearing about), I'm willing to bet there's a lot of us.

Come here for sympathy, to moan about benefits or about people who are always asking you if you've got a job yet and blah blah, or about your parents nagging, or whatever you like, really.

What's the system like in America for unemployed people? Cos in England, well, it's not exactly amazing. And to be honest, most of the time it's hellishly depressing.

So anyway. Bitch and moan among yourselves. Cry in a corner if you wish. Also, posting sites and links that could be helpful might be nice, and any progress you make in getting a job or whatever.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
20th August 2009, 06:44 AM
My situation is complicated, I'm temporarily retired and on the other hand I teach Japanese. I've got an impression that my salary is low enough and that's why I can still teach. Plus my mental health is stable...enough.

Another strange thing is that I haven't worked before. Almost everyone I know has had a summer job at some point but not me. When schools end in May or June here in Finland, everyone seems to go to a summer job but not me. I just didn't need extra money.

MToolen
20th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Would scarcely employed count? For right now, that's the status I would call myself. After my summer job ends next week, I just have hopes and dreams of landing a gig in a pit orchestra or two to keep me going. Then the tax return in April (and, for that matter, getting married to a career woman in March) will help out, too.

The_Missing_Link
20th August 2009, 11:43 AM
I've technically been unemployed since last summer but I had my last year of college fill in most of that time. So I've been actively searching for a job since May and have applied to a grand total of two places

It's insanely depressing going to Facebook and seeing former classmates talk about going on interviews or saying how bad work sucks. I know most of them weren't even in my major and we all have different background experiences but I'm still frustrated that so many people around me are doing something while I'm sitting at home typing in this thread (although to be honest, it's a bit cathartic to express my feelings to other people)

What I hate most is that I have no idea what I want to do with my degree. I know what I don't want to do but nothing is jumping out at me and saying, "you should do this!" This is preventing me from applying to other places so I'm limiting myself. I just don't like the idea of trying different things out before I find the right job. I want to be settled in right away

And there's also the fact that my boyfriend still has another year of college so it adds to the depression and boredom. I'll be able to see him every couple of weeks but I hate having that empty feeling when he's away. And since I have no friends at home, I have no social life

So for the tl;dr people: Life sucks right now

Telume
20th August 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm unemployed, will stay that way until I get my titles. Despite how many people around me seem to disagree with my decision.

I find work distracts me from studying. And the jobs they offer in my area are pretty much BS that doesn't pay enough to even cover ANY college expenses.

Angel Blossom
20th August 2009, 08:45 PM
I've technically been unemployed since last summer but I had my last year of college fill in most of that time. So I've been actively searching for a job since May and have applied to a grand total of two places

It's insanely depressing going to Facebook and seeing former classmates talk about going on interviews or saying how bad work sucks. I know most of them weren't even in my major and we all have different background experiences but I'm still frustrated that so many people around me are doing something while I'm sitting at home typing in this thread (although to be honest, it's a bit cathartic to express my feelings to other people)

What I hate most is that I have no idea what I want to do with my degree. I know what I don't want to do but nothing is jumping out at me and saying, "you should do this!" This is preventing me from applying to other places so I'm limiting myself. I just don't like the idea of trying different things out before I find the right job. I want to be settled in right away

And there's also the fact that my boyfriend still has another year of college so it adds to the depression and boredom. I'll be able to see him every couple of weeks but I hate having that empty feeling when he's away. And since I have no friends at home, I have no social life

So for the tl;dr people: Life sucks right now
Aren't you obsessed with Warcraft? o_O Why don't you just say that you're too lazy to get a job rather than avoid what the real problem is with you. God. I hate people like that. =(

Also, relationships are career killers, so if you want to be the stay-at-home mom playing Warcraft for the rest of your life, you're on the right track.

As for me, I'm enjoying my job as an avant-garde fashion designer! ^^

Zak
20th August 2009, 10:10 PM

Then why are you posting in a thread called "the unemployed thread"? o.o

I admit you do have a point about the warcraft thing. I also hate people like that.

As for me, I haven't really been looking for a job this particular summer mainly because I had other priorities such as having to do community service... god, what a load on my mind that was. Glad I only have two days left of it, can't wait to go back to school.

Crystal Mew
20th August 2009, 10:30 PM
lol community service? oh please do tell, I'm curious to see what kind of trouble you could've gotten into.

Zak
20th August 2009, 10:51 PM
Not if you're gonna be all "oh wow look at me I'm employed LOL you all suck".

Plus, you already know the answer to the question you came here to ask in addition, so what's the point?

Finding work on campus is so much easier, hopefully I will be again next year !

Clark
20th August 2009, 11:21 PM
I lost my 2nd job a few months ago. Sux.

The_Missing_Link
20th August 2009, 11:22 PM
Aren't you obsessed with Warcraft? o_O Why don't you just say that you're too lazy to get a job rather than avoid what the real problem is with you. God. I hate people like that. =(

Also, relationships are career killers, so if you want to be the stay-at-home mom playing Warcraft for the rest of your life, you're on the right track.

I quit WoW 2 months ago. You know absolutely nothing about me so don't make judgments as if you do

I pour my fucking feelings out in a thread, and actually start feeling good when pricks I don't know shoot me down. Thanks for that

Blademaster
21st August 2009, 12:12 AM
I'm an unemployed college dropout who sits around playing video games all day while my dad works and my mom tends my every monetary need and covers my credit card with money we guilted my grandmother out of.

Feels good, man.

Telume
21st August 2009, 02:04 AM
Blademaster is living every lazy guy's dream.

LIVE ON MAN!

Angel Blossom
21st August 2009, 04:34 AM
I quit WoW 2 months ago. You know absolutely nothing about me so don't make judgments as if you do
[color=skyblue

I pour my fucking feelings out in a thread, and actually start feeling good when pricks I don't know shoot me down. Thanks for that
I apologize. ^^; I just recall that you used to be obsessed with the game, but maybe I was thinking of another person.

Then why are you posting in a thread called "the unemployed thread"? o.o
Wow, since when did I need your approval to post in a thread? o_O; Sheesh. What's with the all the snarkiness here anyway? That's the reason I left in the first place.

Nobody wants me here. =(

Weasel Overlord
21st August 2009, 05:21 AM
It's a thread for unemployed people, Angel Blossom. It's all well and nice that you have a job, but don't get all huffy if you're gonna come in here and be bitchy at people and then get told off or whatever.

What I hate most is that I have no idea what I want to do with my degree. I know what I don't want to do but nothing is jumping out at me and saying, "you should do this!"

Even knowing what you do want to do with your degree doesn't put you any closer to actually doing it. D: This is something I'm finding out quite intimately about right now. It really sucks! I graduated about a month ago, but I've been home from uni since June or thereabouts, and still nothing. And there's all these adverts on tv about benefit fraud, where random horrible people shout at unemployed people and tell them to go queue outside burger king and macdonalds, which then makes everyone else think all unemployed people are the same. And not to mention articles in the papers every sodding day going on about how graduate jobs are on an all-time low, no-one wants to employ graduates any more.

It doesn't help that the majority of my friends graduated last year, and have had a job ever since. They're all moving into their own houses, and working proper jobs and everything, and every time I see them they're all "have you got a job yet?!" ARGH it's so maddening.

On the plus side, I'm not living with my parents, who are even worse. I've taken refuge at my bf's house, cos the parentals are just constantly going "why don't you have a job?", "you need to get a job", "what have you done today?" blah blah blah. You can't possibly spend every hour of the day job-searching. Even doing it for two hours is depressing enough.

I'm seriously considering a Masters, just to be in the safety net of education again while the jobs area improves (I hope it will).

Kirby
21st August 2009, 10:06 AM
I apologize. ^^; I just recall that you used to be obsessed with the game, but maybe I was thinking of another person.

Wow, since when did I need your approval to post in a thread? o_O; Sheesh. What's with the all the snarkiness here anyway? That's the reason I left in the first place.

Nobody wants me here. =(

i thought you left because zak is a stupid jew.

Angel Blossom
21st August 2009, 10:28 AM
Weasel Overlord: Well there must be a very good reason why your friends are winning employers over whilst you're not. Again, I'm only guessing, but it probably boils down to how much work experience you have.

This is not necessarily directed at you, but it's pretty hilarious how many people here seem to believe that a university degree = an automatic job. Couldn't be further from the truth. That's exactly why people like Telume are going to struggle so much after earning their degrees, yet are too egocentric to realize that at the moment.

i thought you left because zak is a stupid jew.
Lol, Kiyone. XD That's why I love you. ^^

The_Missing_Link
21st August 2009, 11:29 AM
It's a thread for unemployed people, Angel Blossom. It's all well and nice that you have a job, but don't get all huffy if you're gonna come in here and be bitchy at people and then get told off or whatever.

Even knowing what you do want to do with your degree doesn't put you any closer to actually doing it. D: This is something I'm finding out quite intimately about right now. It really sucks! I graduated about a month ago, but I've been home from uni since June or thereabouts, and still nothing. And there's all these adverts on tv about benefit fraud, where random horrible people shout at unemployed people and tell them to go queue outside burger king and macdonalds, which then makes everyone else think all unemployed people are the same. And not to mention articles in the papers every sodding day going on about how graduate jobs are on an all-time low, no-one wants to employ graduates any more.

It doesn't help that the majority of my friends graduated last year, and have had a job ever since. They're all moving into their own houses, and working proper jobs and everything, and every time I see them they're all "have you got a job yet?!" ARGH it's so maddening.

On the plus side, I'm not living with my parents, who are even worse. I've taken refuge at my bf's house, cos the parentals are just constantly going "why don't you have a job?", "you need to get a job", "what have you done today?" blah blah blah. You can't possibly spend every hour of the day job-searching. Even doing it for two hours is depressing enough.

I'm seriously considering a Masters, just to be in the safety net of education again while the jobs area improves (I hope it will).

While the Masters thing sounds nice and god knows I would love to have the structure of education in my life again, it would just be a waste of money since I don't know what I would do with it. Perhaps it would put me closer to getting a job but I don't know

You know why we're so snarky, AB? It's because for god knows what reason, you like to make judgments about people you don't know and shoot them down when you really should be learning restraint and courteousness. Bitch all you want in private but when you make it public, you're inviting trouble

And yes, no one wants you here, at least in a thread where you contribute jack shit

Crystal Mew
21st August 2009, 12:35 PM
This is not necessarily directed at you, but it's pretty hilarious how many people here seem to believe that a university degree = an automatic job. Couldn't be further from the truth. That's exactly why people like Telume are going to struggle so much after earning their degrees, yet are too egocentric to realize that at the moment.

It all depends really on what degree you have. I don't know about other states, but for mine you are pretty much guaranteed a job right after college if you're going into any medical field because they are in such a high demand here.

But I agree, with some degrees you'll have a hard time finding a job in that field right after you graduate.

What degrees do you guys all have/striving for?

Clark
21st August 2009, 01:35 PM
Weasel Overlord: Well there must be a very good reason why your friends are winning employers over whilst you're not. Again, I'm only guessing, but it probably boils down to how much work experience you have.

You are 6 years too late on the "tough guy at tpm" act. :v

Chris 2.1
21st August 2009, 02:25 PM
Since Ive got one more year of University left I'm not looking for a job. My brother stayed in education and is not two years into a Phd - I believe he gets paid for it, and its done through a company so he is kinda working.

Thats why I think postgrad education IS good in the long run, even with the expense. If its research based you can often land a great job through doing it. And in the UK, now is NOT a good time to be clutching a degree and a pocketfull of dreams.

ChobiChibi
21st August 2009, 02:26 PM
I've got about 2 weeks left of my summer job... Which will probably amount to 3 more shifts.

I basically didn't work for the whole of July because of going away at weekends for the music tours I booked months before... They wouldn't give me any shifts on weekdays, so my manager paid me extra for that month, and I had to work it off in August... I have no idea how much he over paid me by, so I've got no idea how many of my shifts this month I'm actually gonna get paid for...

Can't wait for my student loan to come back through D:

I think I'm gonna be okay after I graduate (It's 2 years away, regardless of anything else I'm about to say lol). My minor is in Instrumental and Vocal teaching, so I plan to get into that as soon as I can. There are a lack of clarinet teachers, so hopefully, I'll be okay... I planned to do an MA, but after discovering how expensive they are (£6000 at my Uni... D: ), I decided it wasn't worth it. If everything goes tits up Instrumental teaching wise, I'm gonna do a PGCE. They actually pay you to do Music ones O_o;

What's worse is that my bf just got a transfer to work at M&S where we go to Uni... They pay so well compared to my minimum wage D:

My parents spent that month of July going "Why don't you look for another job?". It's quite a simple answer, really. I got an interveiw at Superdrug who phoned me up on the day of my interview and said that they didn't want me because I'd be going back to Uni in september. I wasn't worth employing cos I wouldn't be around for long enough. Simple.

Not looking forward to September D:

Blademaster
21st August 2009, 03:14 PM
Blademaster is living every lazy guy's dream.

LIVE ON MAN!

That is a good suggestion. It is a good idea to use and I thank you for it my good fellow.

Zak
21st August 2009, 06:51 PM
It's never too late, Clark. lol

Nobody wants me here. =(

Who said anything about approval? And why are you not asking Weasel and Becca, who are also speaking up about it, the same thing? Excuse me for not being afraid to express my resentment to your post. And, my snarkiness? Maybe if you look around you, Kris, you'll see it's not just me.
I'm sorry if what your taking out on me is from the confession thread, but it seems to me like you're in here for nothing but attention-whoring.
So what if in both threads you look like you're just trying to crave attention, no one's stopping you, just like no one's stopping me from ripping you apart for it. Since when do I need your approval to call you out on it? Rock on.

Plus, if you are in fact attention-whoring then this should be just about the reaction you hoped for, so you're probably satisfied. Besides, I said I agree with you on something, so why you getting all testy about this?

Also a university degree indeed does not automatically get you a job.

Glad something could cheer you up. XD

Angel Blossom
21st August 2009, 07:31 PM
I would've been happy to drop it after my second post here, but Weasel continued it. And again you're being cruel and mean to me.

Let's just drop it. ^^;

Houndoom_Lover
21st August 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm too busy not working to get a job ^w^ Seriously, though, I'll hafta do Workstudy. I hate working for people...Even when all my friends went to do get work, I was happily content on not. :3

Jobs are for fools!

Rossymore
21st August 2009, 08:46 PM
I'm a schoolboy so I don't have a job atm...though the rate of unemployment isn't giving me high hopes for the future.

classy_cat18
21st August 2009, 08:56 PM
Mom said for me to concentrate on my classes for now, but I would still like at least something in Wal-Mart.

Things are getting real bad where I live. I've seen things on the news like state workers getting laid off or getting pay cuts. Shoot, I read an article about the county probably needing the National Guard's help with law enforcement because the cops are losing their jobs. By the way, I live just outside Birmingham and Jefferson County's economy is going down the toilet. I will do just about anything to graduate and move to a different state right now.

The_Missing_Link
21st August 2009, 11:03 PM
Mom said for me to concentrate on my classes for now, but I would still like at least something in Wal-Mart.

Things are getting real bad where I live. I've seen things on the news like state workers getting laid off or getting pay cuts. Shoot, I read an article about the county probably needing the National Guard's help with law enforcement because the cops are losing their jobs. By the way, I live just outside Birmingham and Jefferson County's economy is going down the toilet. I will do just about anything to graduate and move to a different state right now.

Where would you go, if you get the chance?

classy_cat18
21st August 2009, 11:18 PM
Texas, or at least Atlanta. Texas is the nearest place I can go that'll have a high chance of employment for someone in my field of education (animation and game design). And Atlanta doesn't have as high a chance but it's still higher than Birmingham.

Little_Pikachu
22nd August 2009, 05:12 AM
Don't stress it guys. I was unemployed from January to June this year after my temporary contract finished on my old job. I was applying for so much, getting interviews but just never making the cut. We are in a recession, companies don't have the money to splash in training youngsters and dealing with people who have fancy degrees but no experience. Don't feel too bad about it if you can't find something, it's most likely not your fault.

I have a job now, but it's through an agency which is something I promised myself I'd never do again and every time they screw us over with something I remember why I promised myself that. But a job is a job and I get more money being an agency monkey than I would on JSA and I suppose it gets me out the house, albeit uncomfortably early in the morning.

Good luck on your job hunting!

Telume
23rd August 2009, 02:35 PM

I'm not going for a Bachelor's just yet. That's still not offered at my college. I'm going for the Associate's right now and seeing if I can find some kind of apprenticeship/internship to gain some experience in the field.

All while continuing to go to college.

It sucks though because I live in one of the most affected states, Florida.

I'm also kind of like MToolen is, I get a job and it sucks harder than a giant Black Hole. So I usually end up quitting, because honestly I'm not putting up with the flak that the retail or fast food industry gives you. I tried it once and I almost failed my English class because of it. I just didn't have time to focus on one thing.

You can kind of already guess I suck at balancing school and work, but, I think that college + work is a bit different. Highschool has set hours, college *usually* does not. Lucky for me most of the jobs my college offers actually work around your schedule.

ChobiChibi
23rd August 2009, 03:02 PM
I'm also kind of like MToolen is, I get a job and it sucks harder than a giant Black Hole. So I usually end up quitting, because honestly I'm not putting up with the flak that the retail or fast food industry gives you. I tried it once and I almost failed my English class because of it. I just didn't have time to focus on one thing.

I have a love/hate relationship with retail. It's the only thing I have work experience in really, except the work experience I did in year 10 at a Sign Studio... I hate the customers that give you grief over the smallest things. Someone asked me to get them something off a high shelf, I explained that I was the only one on the tills, I had to serve the queue and that I'd call someone to go help her, and she still complained to my manager about me. On the other hand, I love talking to customers about the most random of things! There was this adorable little girl that came in today who said "Were you stood at this till yesterday? I wondered where I remembered you from!" She made me smile.

I've just discovered my timetable for next semester. I only have lectures on Tuesdays and Thursdays... Cunning! So this year I might have time for a job whilst studying, which will be awesome.

I need some teaching experience before I leave too, which is gonna be hard to sort out... I look forward to the number of CRB checks I'll have to do!

Blademaster
23rd August 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm also kind of like MToolen is, I get a job and it sucks harder than a giant Black Hole.

"Supermassive," Telume. The astronomical term for a humongous black hole is "supermassive."

The more you know. :science:

Telume
23rd August 2009, 04:53 PM
DID YOU KNOW?

"Supermassive," Telume. The astronomical term for a humongous black hole is "supermassive."

NOW YOU KNOW!

I have a love/hate relationship with retail. It's the only thing I have work experience in really, except the work experience I did in year 10 at a Sign Studio... I hate the customers that give you grief over the smallest things. Someone asked me to get them something off a high shelf, I explained that I was the only one on the tills, I had to serve the queue and that I'd call someone to go help her, and she still complained to my manager about me. On the other hand, I love talking to customers about the most random of things! There was this adorable little girl that came in today who said "Were you stood at this till yesterday? I wondered where I remembered you from!" She made me smile.

I've just discovered my timetable for next semester. I only have lectures on Tuesdays and Thursdays... Cunning! So this year I might have time for a job whilst studying, which will be awesome.

I need some teaching experience before I leave too, which is gonna be hard to sort out... I look forward to the number of CRB checks I'll have to do!

I hate it period, someone complained about me just 'cause I joked with them about being a "big spender", and the employees didn't help me either. They all kinda just had it out for me in some way shape or form. The only one that didn't was this one lady who worked in the department across from me. It pissed me off so bad.

That and my hours were horrible, I started at 4:00 and ended around 11:00 or 12:00. Didn't even have time to get home and do any homework.

Crazy Elf Boy
23rd August 2009, 05:18 PM

I thought also the term used for measuring the size of your ego Blade.

But anyway on a thread related topic i have been thinking about getting a job but apparently enforced passivity exacerbates itself, in other words I am to lazy to find one.

Magmar
23rd August 2009, 06:13 PM
I feel unemployed! I'm so used to working three jobs at a time! Now I've only got me one!

But nevertheless, Christmas is coming up so a lot of holiday help will be needed in retail and such... I know retail SUCKS ass but it's something, and if you work really hard they might keep you!!

Blademaster
24th August 2009, 03:31 PM
Ego?

Who, me?

Chris 2.1
24th August 2009, 04:46 PM
Well you are the guy called Blademaster...

My only advice is don't study and do a bar job together. Your body clock gets fucked over big time.

DarkestLight
24th August 2009, 05:16 PM
OfT: I was wandering why you always had a new drink on your sig every week or so. Btw I've been trying the ones I don't know-absolute fun n_n!

OT: Umm I really can't say much about not having a job currently, since I've been holding onto mine with renewed ferocity. But I do hope things turn better for everyone.