PDA

View Full Version : How'd you spend your summer, TPM??

Crystal Mew
29th August 2009, 09:52 PM
This is a thread to discuss how we spent our summer (and I guess winter for you people down under ;)) vacations.

I worked all summer, but towards the end of june I took a 2 1/2 week vacation to help my friend move across country back to maryland. We drove there, and I stayed with her and her family for the rest of the time. We saw DC and went to the beach, it was really fun! Then I flew back for the first time ever. I know, I'm 23 and have never flown before that. crazy. well it was an experience all in itself, but I had an awesome time there.

I also went to California for 3 days a couple weeks ago with some friends. The 3 of them all had friends that they wanted to see, I just went just to go. It was pretty fun, but I spent more on those 3 days than what I spent my entire maryland vacation. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm still recovering from that lol.

It was awesome to go to the beaches on both the west coast and east coast too, I wish I lived by a beach...

Other than that, I didnt do much this summer besides read a few books, work, and hang out with my bf and a few friends. This has definitely been the best summer I've had in awhile though!

oh and I also turned 23 earlier in June =[ I'm getting old

Telume
29th August 2009, 10:24 PM
Lurking, posting in random topics that caught my eye. Dealing with a few issues IRL, you know... the usual.

How about you guys?

Jeff
29th August 2009, 10:52 PM
Not much. Had relatives visit from Florida for a week in July.

Went to the beach in August. We went to Fenwick Island, Delaware (one of the smaller beaches in the area) because we thought it wouldn't be crowded, but it was blanket-to-blanket. We went to the main beach, Ocean City, for the boardwalk. Parking was insane and for the half hour we were driving around the city, we kept telling our dad how we should have just gone there for the beach in the first place. It wasn't helping his frustration much.:P

I also turned 25 a few days ago. Got a DSi as my present.

Oh yeah, I also spent some time over the summer working on some website.:P

Crystal Mew
29th August 2009, 11:58 PM
Jeff that was the same beach I went to while I was in Maryland!!! how weird lol. We parked right by the beach, had to pay $10 though...it was fun! the boardwalk was awesome, and I bought awesome aviator sunglasses for like $7 lol

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th August 2009, 12:46 AM
My summer was good. I got back from hospital for starters, on the 1st of June. I made friends with some new kids here in Mielikkitalo, played Bomberman World, Mahjongg, Heroes III and Triple Triad and watched anime with them. Now I miss them terribly because their school has started and we can't meet too often. One of them is coming to my Japanese course though, along with her friend.

I have been preparing my Japanese course the whole summer. Translated Japanese song lyrics, written the study book chapters in romaji, kana, kana/kanji, and Finnish, studied kanji and their etymologies and so on.

TPM has been fun.

I have also played Final Fantasy IX finally through. After finishing that, I just bought The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess and The Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Little_Pikachu
30th August 2009, 04:38 AM
Working all summer! Litterally, I started my job on 1st of June and since then it's just been work, work, work every day and now summer's over! I'd say it seems like I've wasted it, but really the weather hasn't been anything fantastic, we were promised a 'barbeque summer', but it's just rained practically everyday so being stuck in the office hasn't been that harsh.

Going back to Japan in just over a week though, kind of a late summer holiday.

PNT510
30th August 2009, 03:09 PM
Didn't really do to much this summer. Worked a little and played a lot of Warcraft. My friend from the Army did have 3 weeks leave so I spent most of those weeks attached at the hip with her other than that nothing exciting.

Rossymore
30th August 2009, 03:15 PM
Lurking around...I saw what you did last Tuesday...

Weasel Overlord
31st August 2009, 05:50 AM
Graduating from university, being unemployed, attempting to find a job, spending every waking hour with my boyfriend to get away from arguing non-stop with the parentals, trying to think of a way to not die of starvation when I move back to Lancaster in two weeks... it's been a barrel of laughs!

But mostly, I've pillaged the libraries a hell of a lot, read a shit-ton of graphic novels and books, finished three Resident Evil games, grinded some more on FFXII, traded old crap for Pokemon Platinum, written a shit-ton of fanfiction, missed Supernatural like I'd miss a limb (:(), and eaten probably my own weight in biscuits. Like L_P said, it's been quite shit weather in Britain, so I've not done anything particularly sunny. OH on Saturday we went to a joust for the Queen's Jubilee. :D That was totally epic.

toucheiruka
31st August 2009, 10:13 AM
I spent mine usually out at sea, boring I have to say......

Metallixs Girl
31st August 2009, 12:04 PM
I spent my summer taking care of my kidney... I was born with only one kidney and during a blood test, they saw that my kidney seemed to be failing. I'm not on dialysis, and after I started a low protein diet, my kidney function actually improved. I was in the hospital twice, once so they could watch it and again to get a biopsy. But we suspect that a certain medicine caused it (I won't say the name until I'm certain) and I stopped taking it. It said if you stop taking that medicine the kidney failure is usually reversable, so I do have hope that it goes back up. (It's already gotten better) My next appointment to get it checked is December 15th.

Heald
31st August 2009, 12:17 PM
I spent my summer in my room, with my curtains closed, praying that all my enemies got cancer.

Blademaster
31st August 2009, 12:29 PM
I spent my summer on the Internet arguing with strangers.

And winning. Fulfilling shit, yo. :D

Knight of Time
31st August 2009, 01:14 PM
A fair bit of my summer was spent on volunteering at an office supplies store, I worked there for about 8 or 9 weeks or so (possibly 10, not sure though), ever since I decided I wanted to look into some new scenery for another place to volunteer, I didn't hear too much from the next place I may be going to volunteer at next.

Besides that and the occasional beach visits, it's been a fairly quiet summer, but at least it isn't so hot anymore these days, which is relieving.

Adrenaline
31st August 2009, 02:49 PM
I spent my summer dealing with my allergies, and being sick. Other than that I spent some quality time with the fam, and still got to hang around TPM as much as I liked. And now, my High School Career begins tommarrow. I am terrified.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
31st August 2009, 06:29 PM
Did three festivals and worked to pay them. Awesome times.

SystematicRevolution
1st September 2009, 02:09 PM
Well, I spent this summer working as an intern at the local school district while attending classes on Monday mornings. I was also rather excited because this was supposed to be my last semester in college but as it turned out, the director of my school believes that it is my responsibility to do the job of the people in the admissions department. I needed to take an independent study class in order to graduate on time so I signed the paperwork, etc, but the woman in admissions decided to go on vacation without sending the paperwork to everyone else who needed to see it. According to the director of the school, I should've made sure the paperwork was sent out.

Whatever. So I'm not graduating on time, I probably was screwed out of a potential job as a webmaster for the school district, and I have to pay for my last class out of pocket because apparently, financial aid does not cover just one class.

So, other than all of this nonsense, I relax by playing guitar, writing music, and playing MTG. I've still retained some semblance of nerdiness over the years.

Dark Scizor
4th September 2009, 09:39 PM
Starting by lending my brother close to £4000.

The rest of it being poorer than the homeless and not doing as much as I'd like to.

Telume
5th September 2009, 01:30 AM
Starting by lending my brother close to £4000.

The rest of it being poorer than the homeless and not doing as much as I'd like to.

Now you know how I feel especially the not being able to do anything part.

Crystal Mew
5th September 2009, 08:39 PM
Now you know how I feel especially the not being able to do anything part.

huh aren't you the one who refuses to get a job though?

Fett One
5th September 2009, 09:52 PM
For the most part I worked all summer. I had 1 week off, which was spent reading and playing video games. At the beginning of August, I did go to Six Flags for the day with a bunch of friends, so I did at least one thing this summer.

Telume
5th September 2009, 10:40 PM
huh aren't you the one who refuses to get a job though?

Not only that but Miami has a full-on hiring freeze. So even if I wanted to I couldn't.

Crazy Elf Boy
6th September 2009, 02:11 AM
Does this topic specifically apply to people that had a summer over the past few months. If not I had a terribly cold winter while all you people in the northen hemisphere have been having a nice warm summer. Well annyway my "summer" was a bit boring mainly filled with classes and tests then study. So yeh, boring

Katie
7th September 2009, 06:57 PM
1. hiking trip for a class after finals, got a kickass tan, muscles, and an A
2. summer session - got a 4.0 for it and finished my minor!
3. got a job very late in the summer, but have made $$$ to buy lots of nourishment and shelter
4. social life took a nosedive in this college ghost town, only partied twice. recovering now!
5. got a cool haircut?

Uneventful, but I'm happiest about the school stuff. I'm so close to graduation I can taste it (well, on a technicality probably not as close as it seems, but eh). And good grades are feasible still. Score.

mr_pikachu
7th September 2009, 07:10 PM
Multiple-choice quiz!

This summer, I...

A. Went to Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, and Spain on a three-week trip.
B. Returned to a lack of internet access, but to the joy of being with my girlfriend.
C. Gave the keynote speech at a big charity dinner.
D. Developed several scholarly papers for publication.
E. Worked on my Master's thesis prospectus.
F. Took part in a major NSF grant proposal.
G. All of the above.

Blademaster
7th September 2009, 07:50 PM
^H. None of the above.

midnightangel
10th September 2009, 06:46 AM
I really didn't do much of anything this summer, but I feel it hasn't been a total waste. I worked at my crappy job, but took a week off to finish a few things I needed to do at my apartment, and I did make time to go out on my birthday, and went out of town several days on that week off, and watched my favorite show on TV (Bones), so the vacation made up for not doing anything.

In addition, while I had more time to be online when I was off, I mainly lurked everywhere on the forums that I frequently visit, including here.
Guess the bit of social life I had that week kind of let the internet life suffer a bit, but I wasn't bothered by it all that much. ;)

mvtm
19th September 2009, 08:27 PM
I was taking care of my grandma which was really bad.. just about to pass out,but thankfully they save her on the ER room. My father on the other hand got cancer and went into surgery. Thankfully operation was great and he is recovering. In the meantime i did summer school.. just catching up with some college subjects.

Taking care of my loved ones i guess. We cancelled our Peru & USA trip.

PancaKe
1st October 2009, 02:57 AM
Summer is yet to come.... For me.....

But my winter was great! :D Worked, back to uni, went on camp, worked, earn money, spent money, YAY

shazza
1st October 2009, 09:19 AM
I didn't like my winter, just like every winter. I always get so melancholy and unmotivated. I have a suspicion I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. Now that we have entered Spring, I am feeling more joyful and positive about myself. I look forward to the summer ahead.