PDA

View Full Version : Disney nabs Marvel Entertainment in 4 Billion Stock and Money deal

Roy Karrde
31st August 2009, 09:55 AM
http://news.toonzone.net/articles/30942/disney-to-acquire-marvel-entertainment-in-4-billion-stock-and-cash-deal

Yes you may pick your jaw up off the floor now, Disney now has one of the two comic giants in the US. Spiderman, Hulk, X Men, all owned by the Mouse Ears.

So umm what happens to those Marvel cartoons outside of Disney XD? And what happens to the Universal Studios Marvel rides?

So how is THAT for a shocker on a beautiful monday morning?

Perfect Chaos
31st August 2009, 09:56 AM
I hate you for posting this up

Blademaster
31st August 2009, 12:38 PM
This is why I was always more of a fan of the DC characters. Batman would never put up with this kinda bullshit.

Also, holy Jebus Perfect Chaos is back.

classy_cat18
31st August 2009, 04:52 PM
Crap. Why would Disney want to be popular with the older guys? They've already claimed the lives of countless of elementary school and teenage girls! I'm afraid! They might change the comics, and the movies, and the parks, and...and...

We're doomed! Dooooooooomed! *runs around in circles, eventually hitting the wall*

Roy Karrde
31st August 2009, 04:57 PM
Crap. Why would Disney want to be popular with the older guys? They've already claimed the lives of countless of elementary school and teenage girls! I'm afraid! They might change the comics, and the movies, and the parks, and...and...

We're doomed! Dooooooooomed! *runs around in circles, eventually hitting the wall*

Coming Soon to Disney XD

Spider Man and his Friends

http://www.scificool.com/images/2008/03/spectacular-spiderman-animated-1.jpg
http://images.tvrage.com/shows/7/6221.jpg

Houndoom_Lover
31st August 2009, 09:34 PM
What the fuck is this owo I...think I just had a stroke. Oh, gosh. But I'm a bigger DC fan. But bejesus! Nightcrawler! Steven Strange? Various other memembers of X-Men I like? What's up with this crap, Disney? Half the world not good enough for you. Is it?

*scary flash light moment* Is it?

They better not f up Nightvrawler in anyway. Demonic, (unchildfriend in any way) romantic, fuzzy blue Catholic...

PNT510
31st August 2009, 09:39 PM
My guess is Marvel ran out of cash because they were financing their movies on their own. But, Disney isn't going to do anything to mess Marvel up. They're doing this so they can hopefully reap the benefits of marvels movies and to better leverage Marvels licensing agreements. Also Spider-Man is the most popular show on Disney XD so it wouldn't be surprising to help build the new network around marvel cartoons.

Telume
31st August 2009, 10:11 PM
So, what's the ETA to a special like: Mickey Mouse Meets Spider-Man?

Oh oh oh, how about the story of how Mickey or Donald cheated on their girls with any of the female villains....

Yup, it's only a matter of time.

My thoughts:

http://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/500/trashcat_410.jpg

Heald
1st September 2009, 03:49 AM
I honestly believe that comic book geeks everywhere have nothing to worry about. Hell, most of Marvel's heroes and villains have been whored out to appear in very mediocre films that completely go against the canon, and that was without Disney greasing the wheels. Given that you don't see Mickey Mouse commentating on ESPN, I'm pretty sure someone at Disney knows when to keep their mitts out of a lucrative pie.

That said, however, Disney have often been ones to firmly place themselves within the realms of wholesome family entertainment, meaning Christian and absolutely no references to smoking, drinking, violence or sex. What this could spell for their darker franchises, who knows. It all depends whether they prefer having good media or pandering to the Bible-bashing fundies.

PNT510
1st September 2009, 12:13 PM
Look no further than Miramax to show that Disney has no problems with sex or violence as long as it's not under the main Disney branded umbrella.

Heald
1st September 2009, 12:19 PM
True, but Disney keeps a very long arm from Miramax. Hell, they even sold the rights to Dogma to be produced by another production company because of pressure from the fundies. If Disney leaves Marvel to it, then fine. If they start running Spider-Man & Friends on their channels or actively illustrate the fact that they own Marvel, then that might be an issue.

Roy Karrde
1st September 2009, 12:36 PM
Well Disney already airs both the 93 Spider Man, X Men Evolution, and Spectacular Spider Man on their Disney XD channel, which is basically a cartoon/live action channel aimed at tween boys. My guess is Disney will leave well enough alone, but most likely have a few mouse ear editors on the board to keep the super dark storylines toned down, especially if they plan to sell their comic books inside of the park ( Something they are already doing with Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate X Men at Once apon a Toy in Downtown Disney )

Blademaster
1st September 2009, 04:57 PM
Yes, I'm VERY glad that I'm more of a Justice League DC kinda guy myself.

You thought Wolverine Origins or whatever it was called was bad? Enjoy Kingdom Hearts 3, when Sora and Wolverine fight side-by-side.

With their hearts!

PNT510
1st September 2009, 05:46 PM
I would pay a million dollars to see Wolverine fight side by side with Sora with his heart. That just sounds so terribly awesome.

Kurosakura
1st September 2009, 06:04 PM
*head explodes*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Magmar
2nd September 2009, 11:40 AM
Coming Soon to Disney XD

Spider Man and his Friends

http://www.scificool.com/images/2008/03/spectacular-spiderman-animated-1.jpg
http://images.tvrage.com/shows/7/6221.jpg

XD

good one. watch out for the marvel boybands.

Gavin Luper
6th September 2009, 02:48 AM
So, expect cheesy, non-canon romantic subplots in all Marvel films from now on, regardless of whether or not the character is supposed to have any relationships.

>.<

I hated what Disney did to the film version of Prince Caspian. The film itself was great - but they threw in a completely random romantic subplot between Susan and Caspian that WASN'T IN THE BOOKS EVER. I guess it's to teach girls that even if you're supposed to be a former Queen who is a war-hardened archer, you still need an inexperienced Prince to save your life and make you blush like an idiot.

Yes, it annoyed me. :S

Cadmus
6th September 2009, 03:21 AM
I'm more into DC than Marvel, so, I don't really care. ^^

Master Rudy
10th September 2009, 03:41 AM
I would pay a million dollars to see Wolverine fight side by side with Sora with his heart. That just sounds so terribly awesome.

All things considered don't be surprised if this actually happens in KH3 now that Disney has control of Marvel. I wouldn't put this past them. Mark my words that if some kind of Marvel crossover happens in KH3 it's either going to be Logan or Spidey teaming up with Sora. Hopefully if that does happen they have enough common sense to follow the lead of the new Batman game and use someone known in the role of one of those characters and not some nameless nobody.

That being said I do hope Disney knows well enough to keep their hands out of the Marvel offices and to let those writers do their jobs. As long as they don't start making them tone down the more serious comics such as The Punisher then it's fine by me.

Oh yeah......I also predict an inevitable 4th wall breaking comment on the matter from Deadpool :P

Fett One
10th September 2009, 07:30 PM
According to this article, Disney has no interest in controlling the comics. So if this is true, than we have nothing to worry about.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=8674

edit: This is a funny video making fun of the deal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyYb_r4cZHE&feature=channel_page

DarkestLight
10th September 2009, 07:49 PM
You thought Wolverine Origins or whatever it was called was bad?

Fugg you, Blade. Origins was awesome when it started. Screw it now, but the damn start was well written.

I still dream of a Mickey Mouse cartoon with all the Disney gang, and then ye ol Canuck shows up and stabs Mickey's eyes out. That would be super stellar entertainment.