PDA

View Full Version : TPM Posting Spree!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
4th September 2009, 10:32 PM
Good news! Later this month, I'm sort of going to follow my current signature and my activity at TPM will decrease. So you won't have to worry about me so much. I'm going to teach Japanese and also take some courses at a school called Raudaskylän lukio.

Anyway, I got this idea to bring some activity to the forums, please tell me if it sucks.

Let's arrange, let's say, certain 6 hours when every single TPMer who's in this is logged in and tries to post as many posts as possible! Like if we have the time Saturday 12th of September, 4.00 AM-10.00 AM GMT (which suits me very well), as many members as possible try and log in then and post replies. The time is fixed, so you may want to arrange your free time so that you're able to post. Go to sleep a little earlier, cancel a meeting or something. Of course we won't find a time everyone is in, but let's try at least. Also, we could have a topic where we post our current postcounts just before the spree starts.

Your thoughts? Would this work?

Kurosakura
4th September 2009, 10:46 PM
DEW EEEEEEEEET!

shazza
4th September 2009, 11:04 PM
It shall be dubbed 'Spamfest '09'.

SystematicRevolution
4th September 2009, 11:10 PM
It's crazy enough to potentially work.

Drago
4th September 2009, 11:24 PM
This. Concern.

The_Missing_Link
5th September 2009, 01:00 AM

I agree. I don't like the idea of people posting just for the sake of posting. Many people come online, scan the boards for a few minutes, maybe post something and then leave. No one is going to want to come on at a preset time to talk about nothing. Let them come on at their own leisure

Remember, postcounts haven't mattered in years. It's a waste of time to focus on them

Blademaster
5th September 2009, 05:08 PM
Remember, postcounts haven't mattered in years. It's a waste of time to focus on them

Right! Of course, yes, I knew that! Ha ha ha... Yes, truly wastes of time! Nothing but... wastes of time...

;-;

Zak
5th September 2009, 05:11 PM
Agreed, posting just for the hell of posting is kind of stupid, as is trying to control posting habits. Also people have lives, can't expect them to "cancel a meeting" as you said.

Lady Vulpix
5th September 2009, 05:14 PM
I don't see the point either. How would this contribute to the activity on TPM? Unless you define activity as number of posts, but I don't think that going but definition would do the forum any good. What we need is continuous activity, and ways to attract new members and keep the current members motivated. I don't see how a posting spree would help on either of those fronts. If I'm missing something, please explain what it is.

Jeff
5th September 2009, 05:24 PM
Another nay vote here. Sorry Mika, but it just wouldn't work.

What we want to do is keep TPM from fading from existence, and the way to do that is to attract new members, not tell existing members to post more. Old members will inevitably leave or become less active, so it's the new blood that'll keep us going.

SystematicRevolution
5th September 2009, 07:06 PM
To argue in favour, for the sake of argument: If those participating posted meaningful topics with actual discussion involved rather than just post for the sake of posting, then this could potentially be successful.

Lady Vulpix
5th September 2009, 07:40 PM
I guess so. But in that case, I think it would work much better if people just tried to be online at the same time and participate in the various events and discussions rather than making as many posts as they can.

Rossymore
5th September 2009, 08:30 PM
Is it me or are the members that are denying it staff? I suppose they're doing their job to keep us immature lot in line. xD

I don't really care if we do it or not, my post count is now at a number so that if it goes up much...I won't really notice it. :v

But sure, so long as we're all not banned for trying this ( ;D ) then I'm game.

SystematicRevolution
5th September 2009, 08:34 PM
I guess so. But in that case, I think it would work much better if people just tried to be online at the same time and participate in the various events and discussions rather than making as many posts as they can.

Sure. Some tweaking would have to be done to the original idea but what good idea never gets tweaked?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th September 2009, 11:02 PM

Did they matter at some point, then? Like when I had 200 and you 5,000 replies?

In any case, you all made good points. At least the competiton aspect I proposed wasn't a good idea, I guess.

The_Missing_Link
6th September 2009, 12:41 AM
Did they matter at some point, then? Like when I had 200 and you 5,000 replies?

In any case, you all made good points. At least the competiton aspect I proposed wasn't a good idea, I guess.

When you try to attempt a burn, make sure that no one can question it. For instance, why would I care if you had 200 posts when I had 5000? I don't think you were even active when I had 5000. Leave that kind of shit to shazza or firepokemon

For a lot of people, post counts were the big thing from about when TPM came to be until aeound 2004. Even I believed that post counts were the shit at first but stopped caring after a while. Eventually, you post because you want to contribute and not because your count increases by 1

Blademaster
6th September 2009, 12:48 AM
Hey, lay off him Becca. He's not trying to 'burn' you. You know English ain't his first language. You know that he's messed-up in the head. So back offa him. Go on now, git! GIT!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th September 2009, 01:23 AM
Blade's right, I didn't mean to burn you. I just wanted to make a smart remark. Which I always fail in. Or a smart joke. Which I often fail in. I came up with that thought before getting to sleep last night and wanted to post it.

Clark
6th September 2009, 12:29 PM
lol@ I believed that post counts were the shit

Lady Vulpix
6th September 2009, 12:37 PM
I've never understood why anyone cared about postcounts. I'm glad that (almost) nobody does anymore. After all, what people will remember of you is what you have said and done, not whatever number may be shown on the left side of your posts.

Zak
6th September 2009, 12:59 PM
I've never understood why anyone cared about postcounts. I'm glad that (almost) nobody does anymore. After all, what people will remember of you is what you have said and done, not whatever number may be shown on the left side of your posts.

You don't understand the internets, that's why. I've learned from the past that it's a waste of time trying to explain to you such a thing, but here's a couple examples laid out.

-Say a new person joins, they'll see you have a high post count, they'll assume you're a respected/notorious member and in most cases reliable. Yeah, I know there are some exceptions, but what I'm mainly getting at is that if you have a high postcount, they'd assume you know what you're talking about, whether or not your a jerk or use sarcasm a lot.

-Also on the UBB when we could frequently change our own names, like if someone recently changed their name, their postcount would show they're someone that's been there for a while and not someone new.

So yeah... don't act like they mean nothing. I was never competitive about postcount and I know you generally dislike the competitive aspect of certain things and choose to act like the whole thing is pointless, but at least I'm willing to admit it has a purpose.

Telume
6th September 2009, 01:05 PM
You don't understand the internets, that's why. I've learned from the past that it's a waste of time trying to explain to you such a thing, but here's a couple examples laid out.

-Say a new person joins, they'll see you have a high post count, they'll assume you're a respected/notorious member and in most cases reliable. Yeah, I know there are some exceptions, but what I'm mainly getting at is that if you have a high postcount, they'd assume you know what you're talking about, whether or not your a jerk or use sarcasm a lot.

-Also on the UBB when we could frequently change our own names, like if someone recently changed their name, their postcount would show they're someone that's been there for a while and not someone new.

So yeah... don't act like they mean nothing. I was never competitive about postcount and I know you generally dislike the competitive aspect of certain things and choose to act like the whole thing is pointless, but at least I'm willing to admit it has a purpose.

Wouldn't the displayed Join date essentially accomplish the same thing? I mean you can clearly see the day I joined. And I can clearly see the day you did as well "Jul 2001".

Kurosakura
6th September 2009, 01:05 PM
It makes a difference if it said "Jul 2001" with only 10 posts.

Lady Vulpix
6th September 2009, 01:38 PM
Zak, I'm not pretending. Like Telume said, join dates tell more about how long a person's been here. Back in the time when many people cared about postcounts, the hightest postcounts belonged to spammers. You know, the ones who would make multiple posts in a row just for the sake of postcount++. Sometimes even the whole content of their posts was "postcount++", or "in before close", or things like those.

And there's a lot more to the Internet than you know, by the way.

I understand how someone who's never been on an Internet forum before may be misled into thinking postcounts actually mean something, but that only lasts until you see the actual posts. That's when you get to know what kind of poster someone is.

Anyway, we're straying from the topic. If we're going through with this event, it will be next Saturday. Do we want to do something? And if so, what exactly?

Heald
6th September 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm in favour of the event, but I don't want one topic randomly put up and everyone posting in that. That serves no purpose. I'd rather people went across all the forums and make worthwhile threads and posts in all active topics if they can. If people have been waiting for a while to post that fanfic chapter, do it! If you've been putting off posting in an RPG for a while, post in it! See an interesting news story? Post about it! See a good video online? Post it! I honestly do not want to see crap filling up the forums, I'd rather it be useful, intelligent posts that contribute to this place, if it just going to be 'POST IN HERE THREAD' then all the posts being 'lol, thread', then go away, I'm not interested, especially since MY forum will probably be the epicentre of this cascade of fail.

SystematicRevolution
6th September 2009, 05:19 PM
I vote in. And I also vote that everyone willing to participate will either post a thread with the purpose of creating meaningful discussion, or at least take part in an already-existing discussion.

By discussion, I mean DISCUSSION. Not "I agree :)"

Andrew
6th September 2009, 08:30 PM
If it can be done properly and without SPAM. Sure.

Lady Vulpix
7th September 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm in favour of the event, but I don't want one topic randomly put up and everyone posting in that. That serves no purpose. I'd rather people went across all the forums and make worthwhile threads and posts in all active topics if they can. If people have been waiting for a while to post that fanfic chapter, do it! If you've been putting off posting in an RPG for a while, post in it! See an interesting news story? Post about it! See a good video online? Post it! I honestly do not want to see crap filling up the forums, I'd rather it be useful, intelligent posts that contribute to this place, if it just going to be 'POST IN HERE THREAD' then all the posts being 'lol, thread', then go away, I'm not interested, especially since MY forum will probably be the epicentre of this cascade of fail.

I like the idea. We could do that. :)

Gavin Luper
7th September 2009, 01:25 PM
Posting in agreement with Heald/Andrew. If we do it right, it's a great idea.

Katie
7th September 2009, 06:43 PM
you may want to arrange your free time so that you're able to post. Go to sleep a little earlier, cancel a meeting or something.

you are so cute

Magmar
7th September 2009, 07:59 PM
whether or not your a jerk

*You're

I'm all four this.

SystematicRevolution
7th September 2009, 11:27 PM
for*

MeLoVeGhOsTs
8th September 2009, 04:07 AM
Postcount changed me life, it's who I am and aim to be. <3

(Also supporting Heald on this)

SystematicRevolution
8th September 2009, 10:02 AM
if post == 1 {
postcount++;
cout<<postcount;
}

My C++ is REALLY murky :[

Lady Vulpix
8th September 2009, 12:45 PM
You missed the parentheses around the guard of the 'if'.

Anyway, it seems we're going through with this. I'm tempted to make an announcement with something along the lines of Heald's post (maybe even quoting some of his words), so that people who haven't been reading this topic find out about the idea. If anyone has any thoughts on what the announcement should say, I'll be waiting for them until around this time tomorrow.

Systematic Revolution
8th September 2009, 12:49 PM
That's why it looked funky.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
8th September 2009, 10:45 PM
Hey I guess my idea wasn't so bad after all! Now is the time fine with everyone, next Saturday 4.00-10.00 AM GMT?

Heald
9th September 2009, 04:52 AM
Shall we just say all day Saturday? Because most people aren't going to be up at that time Mikachu.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
9th September 2009, 07:20 AM
Good point! I just thought a fixed 6 hours would suit the idea, but if the whole Saturday is better, let's go with it! You're right, my timing is night for most TPMers, I think.

Rossymore
9th September 2009, 10:40 AM
Also since I'm on GMT, it's unlikely I'll be up at 10:00am anyway! xD

I might be on for a small section of that day...but I'm not sure. I'll try and get on when I can. If I do, look out forums!

Lady Vulpix
9th September 2009, 05:25 PM
OK, the announcement is up! I hope this works out well.

Edit: I think this is going well so far. 25 topics with posts made today, and the day isn't over yet. :)