PDA

View Full Version : Charles Darwin film 'too controversial' for America

Heald
14th September 2009, 08:50 AM
GAWD MADE THE WORLD IN SIX DAYS AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS THE DEVIL! (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6173399/Charles-Darwin-film-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html)

Man, this is just too funny. How do you feel America that thanks to the Bible-bashing cretins who pervert your population, the rest of the world thinks you're a bunch of backwards cavemen who bash rocks against other rocks for entertainment?

In all seriousness, I probably won't go see it. I just find it amazing that even 150 years after the Theory of Evolution of first publicised, there are people in the Western world too stupid to even acknowledge its validity.

Lady Vulpix
14th September 2009, 09:12 AM
I thought your country had freedom of cult? Doesn't that mean everyone should be allowed to make movies based on their beliefs and everyone's beliefs should be respected? And here I'm speaking against both the people who say the movie should be banned and the people who claim that everyone who doesn't agree with Darwin's theory is stupid.

shazza
14th September 2009, 09:26 AM
The Super Power of this world are backwards cavemen.

If aliens are indeed observing us, I'm certain they are facepalming time and time again.

Heald
14th September 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not qualitatively saying that the Theory of Evolution is 100% true, but if you refuse to at least acknowledge that there is strong scientific evidence that evolution is real, then yes, you are a stupid caveman.

Telume
14th September 2009, 10:13 AM
It's those damn mormons in Utah man, they complain about EVERYTHING. Except marriage. Yes, bring us many wives so that we may marry them.

.... Stupid mormons.

Houndoom_Lover
14th September 2009, 10:22 AM
Woe, I thought we lived in America. This is sad.

Just so sad- I just don't know. I have a story about this.

I have a foolish Methodist friend who is so narrow minded and follows the rules by the book and beleives in nothing scientific because it's not in the bible...and then went to have pre-mertial sex after telling us for years that is was a super big sin.

WTF world, let us watch the movie. I hate when people impose their religion on others.

Telume
14th September 2009, 10:26 AM
And I now quote Rammstein:

We're all living in America,
America is wunderbar.
We're all living in America,
Amerika, Amerika.

Rossymore
14th September 2009, 10:39 AM
Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

This made me laugh. According to them, Charles Darwin created Adolf Hitler and was responsible for cloning and genetic engineering.

Of course he did...and I'm typing from Mars.

Houndoom_Lover
14th September 2009, 10:47 AM
Hell yeah XD I support that theory, that theory is soild!!

Have you guys hear "I think you're a nazi baby?" Steven Lynch sings that. It's freakin' hilarious.

I don't know why everyone things evolusion goes against religion beleives. Isn't it more impressive that one massive being did aaaaaaaaall thing shit. He hadda pull an all nighter to make the dna work, and everyone is all like "No, he just plopped us where". Way to cut God short, seriously. After all that work he did on making sure you goddamn dna does unravall and that you have air to breath- ungratful Mormons.

Lady Vulpix
14th September 2009, 01:34 PM
Science can never prove that things have happened in a certain way. The most it can do is prove that a certain theory does not contradict the initial hypotheses (which may or may not be correct themselves). Most people who believe blindly in everything a scientist says are unaware of how science really works. That's why I think of science fanatics in the same way as religious fanatics. Fanatism of any kind is dangerous.

I'm refraining from expressing my own beliefs because they're as subjective as anyone else's and are beside the point. All I'm trying to say here is that you should respect other people's thoughts.

Oh, and saying that Darwin is responsible for Hitler's actions is even more farfetched that saying Einstein is responsible for the atomic bombs.

Houndoom_Lover
14th September 2009, 04:25 PM
Humph, screw other people's thoughts. Its your own thoughts that should count. And then, you just keep them to yourself. You live on you own, you die by your own. You know, life's just more zen that way.

Though I'd rather not die- *pans over to immegents making the philosopher stone for me* :3

Yay! Far'Fetch! Man, all these talks about Hilter make me want to go see Inglorious Bastards again- ....

No one even lives in Utah, since when did they get to have a voice

Kurosakura
14th September 2009, 05:59 PM
lolwut.

This is seriously pretty sad. Whoever says religion plays no role in American culture and politics is a douche, and this article just proves it.

Blademaster
14th September 2009, 07:27 PM
according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

What the FUCKAFGGDFAGDGHGFASFDHJADJGFDAGFDSADGAADSAFHAGFHAS GFJAH

Ultimate Charizard
14th September 2009, 08:09 PM
Its not so much the religion that gets me its more the idiotically ignorant people that use Religion as an excuse to hate anything that threatens their 'faith'.

Like the woman during the elections that voted for McCain, despite the fact if he had won his policies would leave her husband out of work. Her reasons, because to vote for Obama was a morally corrupt thing to do and god would provide for them as reward for doing the right thing. Literally, nothing to do with policy, just that someone had told her that God hated Obama, and yes she did use the Osama/Obama similarity.
"Do i have a problem voting for a guy named Barrack? Are you serious, everyone should have a problem with that!"

The Texan woman that stood against introducing foreign language classes in school because..."English was good enough for Jesus!"

And dont even get me started on the Westboro Baptist Church (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMP3AK5jwo)

The film has sparked fierce debate on US Christian websites, with a typical comment dismissing evolution as "a silly theory with a serious lack of evidence to support it despite over a century of trying".

And instead they want you to place blind faith in a shiny beardy man that lives on a cloud.....

The Bible has about the same amount of proof and evidence as the Harry Potter books and theyve had 2000 years.

*edit*

I always love in these things, on a worldwide forum like the internet that the second someone from outside the US adds an opinion the 'howling baboon' syndrome kicks in and everyones an ultra-patriot leading to lines like "If you brits had fought harder then we would be in this mess".

I understood it was a WW2 reference but no, i didnt understand the context either.

Lady Vulpix
15th September 2009, 01:11 PM
I'm not from the US and none of you has lashed at me for posting my opinion. Which speaks well of you all, so please don't change it (just in case you were cnsidering it).

So Jesus spoke English? Who would have thought he was that far ahead of his time? (Not to mention the completely different geographical location). You recognize a serious education problem when you hear a phrase like that.

Telume
15th September 2009, 01:23 PM
Jesus spoke English? Before English was invented? Wow dude that is some seriously powerful shit he had going there because I SWEAR the language prevalent at that time and in THAT REGION was Hebrew.

Jeff
15th September 2009, 01:37 PM
Jesus spoke English? Before English was invented? Wow dude that is some seriously powerful shit he had going there because I SWEAR the language prevalent at that time and in THAT REGION was Hebrew.

Aramaic actually :eng101:

These people are truly facepalm worthy. Evolution is not incompatible with religious beliefs, and it's certainly a plausible theory. Granted no scientific theory is ever complete, just look at Newton's theories. They work fine until you start looking at things that are traveling near the speed of light. So yeah, no one has the complete answer. And all of this is coming from a Republican who lives in a semi-rural area. It's people like this that give us a bad name and it's annoying. *goes back to bashing rocks*

Katie
15th September 2009, 09:02 PM
I thought your country had freedom of cult? Doesn't that mean everyone should be allowed to make movies based on their beliefs and everyone's beliefs should be respected? And here I'm speaking against both the people who say the movie should be banned and the people who claim that everyone who doesn't agree with Darwin's theory is stupid.

It's not that anyone can't make the movie (it's already been made and is being released in other countries) it's that no one wants to pick it up because there won't be enough interest in it to make a profit worth the good/bad publicity.

What the FUCKAFGGDFAGDGHGFASFDHJADJGFDAGFDSADGAADSAFHAGFHAS GFJAH
To be fair the quote is pretty skewed, there's an additional something like 40% that was for the option "I don't know" but it's still fucking depressing that ANYONE can actively say "evolution is false" in 2009. It's a complete kick in the face to the field I'm studying. Like you study accounting and a very large percentage of your country says "nope, sorry, numbers don't exist. there's no proof [I have not bothered to look for proof]. stop wasting your time you silly accountant."

I couldn't care less if evolution can coexist with any religion or not, that should never be a determining factor when you decide to believe it or not and I hate it when evolution debates turn in that direction. You should look at the evidence, familiarize yourself with the theories, and if you have additional questions or issues with what you've read then ask an expert in the field to help you through it. That may be easier said than done as I have a dozen paleo and bio professors at my disposal lately, but still. You can't wikipedia the theory over the course of 20 minutes, come up with some bullshit hole in it, and declare all the work that a thousand dedicated scientists much smarter than you have devoted their lives to and call BS on it. It's complete ignorance on those people's parts to assume that their delicate snowflake theory has never been thought of (and shot down while laughed at) before.

Ultimate Charizard
15th September 2009, 09:44 PM
The problem with that theory is that alot of the people who are denying evoltion arent interested in reasoned debate and evidence. You can show them all the evidence you like but if it isnt in their magic book then theyre not interested. Its exactly the same (ive discovered) as American Politics. If a Democrat says the Sky is blue and Grass is green a Republican will spend his dying breath to tell him he's wrong. (I never realised how entertaining Fox news can be lol)

Dont get me wrong here btw, i may have been pretty scathing but im in no way Athiest or anything like that. I believe my term is Agnostic. In that i require proof but im open to the possibility. Now if only we could get those religious nuts to look at science in a similar way.

Telume
16th September 2009, 10:12 AM
I don't understand why people don't believe in evolution seriously. It's the 21st century. Religion as a pool of reasoning simply DOES NOT WORK anymore. It may have worked maybe 2-3 centuries ago, but, certainly not now. And the stupid thing is, EVEN THE VATICAN has their own scientists. I'd love to see the crackpots over there start crying BLASPHEMY when they don't find any proof of one of their theories.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th September 2009, 03:44 AM
Hey a religion discussion. I'm a sceptic, and bitter because everyone in Europe seem to have forgotten other gods than the Christian one.

Actually, I hated religion debates at TPM. Hopefully not turning this into one. If it already isn't. My thoughts on the topic? Well don't try to find evidences against evolution from The Bible. God surely didn't create fossils to test us. Religion is belief, keep it separte from science. Besides, it's fun to think Izanami and Izanagi created Japan. What's essential in religions is that you have to be nice and not hurt other people, not the way the world is created. Religion is good when it prevents people from killing each other. Of course you can also create your own moral code independent from all the religions. That's what I'm trying to do. I don't want to kill people, but not because I wouldn't get to heaven, then, or something, I just try to think what the other people would feel if I killed someone.

Note that I'm not complaining to anybody here at TPM, just trying to force you to believe everything I say!

Lady Vulpix
17th September 2009, 09:47 AM
I insist, you people are getting too intolerant. Numbers exist because they were created (or abstracted) by humans, and you can use them and operate with them. Evolution exists in the sense that things change and you can witness the change. But that's as far as that argument can go. It doesn't "prove" that Darwin's theories about the origin of species are accurate. And I doubt it's even possible to find such a proof, one way or another. So why don't you stop attacking everyone who doesn't agree with your views of the world? As you keep repeating, it's the 21st century! People should have learnt to be more open and tolerant. Sadly, as a species we still have a long way to go before respect for others becomes commonplace.

Blademaster
17th September 2009, 10:53 AM
So why don't you stop attacking everyone who doesn't agree with your views of the world?

When they stop, we'll stop.

Lady Vulpix
17th September 2009, 11:23 AM
There will always be someone who doesn't stop. Usually it's the people who don't know any better because they haven't been educated to think. I'd like to believe that's not your case.

Houndoom_Lover
17th September 2009, 11:28 AM
Don't be mightier than thou Lady Vulpix- you'll get premature wrinkled on that pretty little she-face.

I say we have a fist fight over the matter- who's ever left standing wins!

Heald
17th September 2009, 11:37 AM
I say we have a fist fight over the matter- who's ever left standing wins!
Then that will be truly survival of the fittest.

Houndoom_Lover
17th September 2009, 12:13 PM
Zing-take that Creationist!

XD I love the new spew of Raptor art. We've all seen Raptor Jesus, right? ...Raptors have to do with this topic, right. They're controversial, found in America at one point...? And Charles Darwin said stuff about them...yes.