PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft: Students to get Windows 7 for £30/$30

kainashi
17th September 2009, 12:59 PM
Microsoft has taken the wraps off an amazing offer for UK and US students today.

Students in the UK and US with a valid email address (an email address given by the college or university, e.g. name@leeds.ac.uk) will be able to purchase Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional (upgrade versions) for £30 and $30 respectively. The offer will run until 3 January 2010 when the prices will revert to normal.

Microsoft confirmed the offer in an email to Neowin, "students will benefit from many of Windows 7's unique functions and applications which make PC's easier, simpler and more fun to use. For those students who have the latest laptops with touch screen technology, Windows 7 comes with enhanced capabilities for an enriched touch experience, allowing a more direct and natural way to work – it's also perfect for netbooks. Other features include remote media streaming, improved gaming experience, enhanced security and integration of Windows Media Centre for more central and convenient management of music, movies and photos."

To take part in this offer please see more information at the Windows UK Student Offer site (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/studentoffer) or the Windows US Student Offer site (http://www.win741.com/).

Update: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea and Mexico will also have similar offers but exact pricing varies by market. Details will follow.

source: Neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/09/17/microsoft-uk-students-to-get-windows-7-for-30)

--

good deal if your college/university supports it. :) i had to show them proof of payments made for classes to see if i'm eligible. hope i am since it'll save me a lot of money on purchasing it. :(

Clark
17th September 2009, 01:19 PM
meh...I'm better off getting the full retail over the upgrade. Vista will find a way to screw up my computer because MS has terrible updating procedures.

kainashi
17th September 2009, 01:30 PM
shouldn't mess up if you do it over a clean install of vista but you never know what vista's going to do. :(

Heald
17th September 2009, 01:33 PM
Someone needs to tell Micro$oft that £1 =/= $1.

Seriously, how can they justify an extra $20 for British students? Some kind of 'Britishising' tax so the words are actually spelt correctly?

Bill can take this offer and stick it up his ass.

kainashi
17th September 2009, 02:02 PM

Seriously, how can they justify an extra $20 for British students? Some kind of 'Britishising' tax so the words are actually spelt correctly?

Bill can take this offer and stick it up his ass.i think you mean steve. ;) bill stepped down a while ago.

Clark
17th September 2009, 02:13 PM
still have to update vista completely afaik before you can install 7 :D

Houndoom_Lover
17th September 2009, 05:15 PM
My computer has Windows 8 on it, not that its working. I wondered how that happened.

Hehe, British people hafta pay so much. They can't even get crap from Neopets (even though it orriginated there).

That's for taxing our tea, mo-fos

*runs away, laughing maddenly*

Master Rudy
18th September 2009, 02:38 AM

Bill can take this offer and stick it up his ass.

I thought it was arse in England? :confused:
Guess you spell them wrong too Heald! :lol:

In any case it's not a bad deal but I can do you one better. How about FREE Windows 7? I know in the US anyway many places got a promo going where if you buy a full version of Vista or a PC with Vista before 1/31/10 you'll get the upgrade to 7 for free! Not bad at all for those of us who were on the fence about Vista or are in the market for a new PC :D

Telume
18th September 2009, 12:36 PM
You guys are actually getting ripped off, I'm getting Windows 7 from my college for free

Jeff
18th September 2009, 01:06 PM
So is my brother, but that's because he recently got his laptop. Man, I should have held out another year.

abunaidesu
18th September 2009, 05:00 PM
obligatory "hurrr why would i pay when i could just download it for free LOL"

i haven't used windows for two years. i might try it out using boot camp if i can be bothered.

Telume
18th September 2009, 08:07 PM
kiyone: I don't even want to bother with windows, the only reason I'm grabbing 7 is because my dad wants to try it out.

I'm getting a Netbook with Ubuntu on it and a Toshiba Laptop with Windows Vista which I plan to reformat and instill with SuSE Linux 9.2 Enterprise edition which I got for free from a professor of mine in the college, LOL.

As for my desktop I'm just gonna keep XP installed on it.