PDA

View Full Version : The battles that make you go "WTF!?"

Master Rudy
19th October 2009, 11:40 PM
Well it's happened to all of us at some point in the years we're played these games. We've all had our close battles and the ones that are blowouts one way or another. However every so often we'll have a battle that makes us stop and go "Did that really happen?"

The battle that prompted me to post this actually happened a few days ago. I recently got a copy of Ruby and finally got around to playing it. While trying to train my on Route 101 I actually had my Mudkip miss with tackle FIVE straight turns (and no.....sand attack was not used at all in this battle). Mind you this is an attack with a 95% hit rate. Needless to say it didn't end well.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
20th October 2009, 11:17 AM
I always go WTF when I lose a battle due to nothing but bad luck. I can be a really sore loser in such cases. Last week it happened again. I was battling a good friend via Battle Revolution, had him almost beat when his Snorlax used Bodyslam five times, each time another of my Pokémon was paralyzed (30 % chance) and two of my moves with a 85 % hit ratio missed in a row - and I was done for. Of course during the five times he had use Sleep Talk not a single time his Snorlax used Rest either, wasting the move - no, it was always Bodyslam that popped up. Twenty years ago I would have thrown the game controller god knows where in a complete rage.

But honestly, your bad luck is even worse. It's like playing a pen and paper RPG, rolling a 20-sided-dice and rolling five 1s (or 20s - whichever is the worst in your game) in a row. I know that the chances of rolling three in a row is one to several ten thousands ... but five?

mr_pikachu
20th October 2009, 11:25 AM
Probability of missing five times in a row when you have a 95% chance of hitting: 0.00003125%. Or, in other words, one in 3,200,000.

The only battles I can immediately recall which made me howl were the ones against the game itself. Nothing beats the GSC Battle Tower in terms of pure hax... argh, painful memories!

classy_cat18
20th October 2009, 11:47 AM
In Diamond, when I was battling Bertha. Stupid Wiscash with its stupid Fissure...three instant KOs! In a row! With 30% accuracy, it shouldn't happen!

That and every time I battle a wild Starravia that likes to go Double Team-crazy.

Houndoom_Lover
20th October 2009, 04:18 PM
Every battle where Ash yells "Dodge!" And the Pokemon does and can everytime.

You're only YELLING the word, not like the other trainer can't hear you or anything.

:O I can't think of a Game based battle tight now that's made me WTF lately...

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
20th October 2009, 04:35 PM

You're only YELLING the word, not like the other trainer can't hear you or anything.

When me and my friend are battling we always cry "Dodge!" for the heck of it when we know the next attack would knock our Pokemon out. :D

Blademaster
20th October 2009, 06:54 PM
"WTF?" doesn't inherently mean bad... I've been truly amazed in some instances where blind luck and/or desperate anime-ish strategy have saved my hide in battle. The foremost instance I can think of is my battle of Fighting Pokemon VS. Koga's Muk and Weezing in FireRed (found here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11965&page=4)).

DarkestLight
20th October 2009, 07:18 PM
I recently tried to get through the 100-battle thing in Battle Revolution. I got up to battle 93, and I met my ol friend Wishcash. Mind you I'm already mad with rage cause that stupid wheel thing to regain health keeps haxing me out of my chances, but I was able to heal everyone's PP back, so I was feeling confident I could get through the final 7 battles.

So. I now my Weavile can survive his stupid Fissure-and yeah, he does and yeah Weavile survives and I use Night Slash that gets it down to less than half-and then I realize...the Whiscash is faster?

I then die-send out Donphan-my Sturdy lil earthlephant..and DIE. DUE. TO. FISSURE.

I turned off the game, soooo pissed off. So...much...damn...hax.

Ultimate Charizard
20th October 2009, 07:57 PM

Im waiting for the one time the pokemon stops mid battle, turns around and Slaps Ash saying "Wow, what a great idea, why didnt i think of that ya dumb ass!"

Rossymore
21st October 2009, 05:35 AM
Every time that Ash has a Gym Battle, he thinks up a strategy which is so ridiculous and his thoughts must be 'Wow, I can't believe I thought of that!'

Thunder Armour for Swellow? Seriously?

Master Rudy
21st October 2009, 05:46 AM
But honestly, your bad luck is even worse. It's like playing a pen and paper RPG, rolling a 20-sided-dice and rolling five 1s (or 20s - whichever is the worst in your game) in a row. I know that the chances of rolling three in a row is one to several ten thousands ... but five?

Funny you should bring up the d20 example Alex. I don't think I've shared the story of my Jedi in a Star Wars RPG campaign I once did with a friend. I was tossing out 1's and 2's with alarming frequency. It got so bad that on one critical roll where I had a 1 my GM later admitted to bending the rules to allow me to live since it was THE FIRST BATTLE! Instead of death my character lost a few fingers on his hand due to a stray blaster bolt hitting my lightsaber directly in the hilt. The lightsaber itself was repaired in a rather crude manner due to the lack of components and up until I got the proper parts for a full repair I had to make a roll prior to every single activation to see if I'd even have use of it for that battle. It got even more fun when my 1's led to more crippling injuries. We never did finish that one but by the time it was all over I had half a hand, a facial scar on one side from a stray shot and horrible burns and no hair on the other side due to failing a reflex roll in an explosion.

The only reason my guy didn't fall to the Dark Side with all the chaos and misforturne that happened was due to my inability to play totally evil characters. Needless to say he clashed with the chaotic evil/neutral bounty hunters we had in a big way :lol:

Getting back to the real topic however I didn't originally think of the anime since I stopped watching way back at the start of the Johto arc. I guess those could work as well since many anime/movies based on games tend to ignore the actual game mechanics in favor of trying to tell a good story. Needless to say the Pokémon anime has given many......well.....intresting examples over the years.