PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Toruments in the UK

Keyblader
20th October 2009, 10:39 AM
are their any going to be held soon and if so does anyone know were they are going to be held. Oh i am not talking about the trading card game i am on about the DS style

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
20th October 2009, 11:20 AM
Lucky UK players, why don't you note down where those tournaments will be held exactly? The UK isn't the smallest country after all.

Ultimate Charizard
20th October 2009, 07:59 PM
As far as im aware there arent any.

Apart from the big PC gaming tournaments (the FPS leagues etc) there isnt much of any kind of gaming tournaments in the UK and even those big ones are pretty much underground.

Gaming gets no respect in the UK, there isnt a single (decent or otherwise) Gaming show on TV etc.

Master Rudy
21st October 2009, 06:23 AM
Truth be told I haven't even heard of anything in regards to the DS games here in the States. Granted this could have something to do with me only recently starting to play the games again. However even so in the US at least I haven't heard of any big Pokémon tourneys in quite some time :-/

mr_pikachu
21st October 2009, 11:17 AM
Rudy: I'm pretty sure most of the "big" DS tournaments are held in conjunction with TCG events. For instance, I seem to recall National qualifiers being held at Gym Challenge TCG tourneys a couple of years ago.

ChobiChibi
21st October 2009, 05:38 PM
They hold tournaments regularly back home, but mostly at the Pokemon Events. I got my ass kicked by an 8 year old with a level 100 Groundon that I wasn't expecting him to have. Gutted XD

I expect there may be some stuff at the London MCM Expo this weekend. Yayayayay!

DarkestLight
21st October 2009, 06:31 PM
Rudy: That's cause the 2009 Pokemon Championships already ended in August :O. They started doing them every year gain since 08'. I didn't try last year cause that was too much traveling. But there is the 2010 Pokemon Battle Tournament slated for next year so yeah.

Blademaster
21st October 2009, 07:05 PM
The UK doesn't get video game tournaments because 95% of video game developers hate Europe. And Australia. Hell, third-world countries in Africa get video games before Europe and Australia do. What does THAT tell you?

Master Rudy
22nd October 2009, 06:10 AM
Rudy: That's cause the 2009 Pokemon Championships already ended in August :O. They started doing them every year gain since 08'. I didn't try last year cause that was too much traveling. But there is the 2010 Pokemon Battle Tournament slated for next year so yeah.

Heh.....as I said I've only recently been back in action. I may need to keep my eyes open for a regional/local one in 2010 then. I always wanted to take part in one during my GSC days. However travel was an issue. The nearest one has ever come to me was Tri-County Mall up in Cincy. However in relation to where I live that's the far end of town.

I just hope that the parents with their little 8 year old boys and girls don't get creeped out by the teens/early 20 somethings that will no doubt show up :heh:

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
22nd October 2009, 11:16 AM
Austria didn't have a single Pokémon tournament since 2000, I mean it's a small country but that should tell you all about how much Nintendo loves Europe.

Keyblader
22nd October 2009, 01:07 PM
thanks for all the help people and if anyone hears about any events in the uk area give me a shout please lol

MeLoVeGhOsTs
22nd October 2009, 02:55 PM
Austria didn't have a single Pokémon tournament since 2000, I mean it's a small country but that should tell you all about how much Nintendo loves Europe.

Quoted for truth.

Master Rudy
23rd October 2009, 01:33 AM

Well it's not just Nintendo. Other companies have that annoying practice as well Alex. Look at Square Enix. Chrono Trigger never officially hit Europe until the DS version last winter :-/

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
23rd October 2009, 01:15 PM
Well that's true but that was still in the days when a huge portion of the games didn't even make it over to the US (RPGs at least). Guess it was just too much work translating them and changing them from NTSC to PAL format. But I know what you mean.