PDA

View Full Version : superheroes

PancaKe
21st October 2009, 06:46 PM
What really makes a superhero?

Had this discussion with friends at work. If superheroes are superheroes because they are heroes with super powers (which is how I define a superhero), then does Batman count as a superhero?

I think not.

However, others tend to think so. I think that just because you are a vigilante, does not make you a superhero.

What do you guys think????

Heald
21st October 2009, 06:54 PM
Batman is simply a vigilante detective who has ludicrous amounts of capital and implausibly highly advanced equipment. If you cut him, he still bleeds like you and me.

On that token, is the Green Lantern a superhero, since his superpowers only come from his ring, not himself (ignoring all the fluff like having a connection with his ring blah blah blah)?

The difference between Green Lantern and Batman is Green Lantern's ring is a supernatural device, whereas Batman's gadgets, no matter how stupid or implausible to us, are meant to be perfectly natural (as opposed to supernatural) in the DC world.

So no, he is not a superhero.

Also, if Batman is so smart, why does he wear his underpants outside his trousers?

Blademaster
21st October 2009, 07:03 PM
Batman is a superhero because if some regular guy can be a hero just by rescuing a kiten from a tree, a guy who constantly patrols the ghetto in search of fashion victim loonies to beat up and spends all his money on Godtech brand cars, boats, and boomerangs should be called something a bit more extravagant. Thus, I propose that Batman is in fact a superhero, where as Superman, Spider-Man, and the like are ultraheroes.

Houndoom_Lover
21st October 2009, 07:11 PM
He's not a super hero to the viewer because we KNOW how its done. But to the other super heros and villians, he looks like a shadow that came out of no where.

He's the hand that grabs your leg when he's 50 yards away, he's the ears and eyes along the wall, and shadow always looking over you. The silent demonese avenger of Gotham. Who is both feared and praised

X3

mr_pikachu
21st October 2009, 07:12 PM
Batman is simply a vigilante detective who has ludicrous amounts of capital and implausibly highly advanced equipment. If you cut him, he still bleeds like you and me.

On that token, is the Green Lantern a superhero, since his superpowers only come from his ring, not himself (ignoring all the fluff like having a connection with his ring blah blah blah)?

The difference between Green Lantern and Batman is Green Lantern's ring is a supernatural device, whereas Batman's gadgets, no matter how stupid or implausible to us, are meant to be perfectly natural (as opposed to supernatural) in the DC world.

So no, he is not a superhero.

Based on the "supernatural device" logic, were the Ghostbusters a superhero team?

mr_pikachu. Supporting the forum's cheese since 2002.

PancaKe
21st October 2009, 07:13 PM
Did the ghostbusters use supernatural weapons? I thought it was like a ghost vacuum cleaner.... my memory is a bit hazy

Blademaster
21st October 2009, 07:25 PM
It was an unlicensed nuclear accelerator that was capable of causing a total protonic reversal which would simultaneously end all life as we know it and explode every molecule in your body at the speed of light. How much more supernatural can it get?

PancaKe
21st October 2009, 07:27 PM
I stand corrected. ^___^

But just because they harness supernatural powerful things doesn't make them superheroes does it?

mr_pikachu
21st October 2009, 09:02 PM
Going by Heald's logic, that's the criteria. Hence why I posed the Ghostbusters example, because I certainly don't think of them as "superheroes."

Fett One
21st October 2009, 10:39 PM
I consider him a superhero since he fights both regular criminals and super powered criminals. A non-superhero wouldn't bother with the super powered criminals.

As for the Ghostbusters, I wouldn't call them superheroes since they don't actually fight crime. If they also fought criminals then I would consider them superheroes.

Telume
21st October 2009, 11:28 PM
Going by logic and breaking down the word:

super - super (not comparable)

1. better than average, better than usual; wonderful.

hero - hero (plural heroes)

1. A real or mythical person of great bravery who carries out extraordinary deeds.
2. A role model.
3. The main protagonist in a work of fiction.
4. A champion.
5. An unwilling sufferer of an act of terrorism, terminal disease, or other tragedy.
6. Someone who possesses supernatural powers (in fiction) such as Spiderman.

So, going by that logic.... hero? Yes, super hell no.

superwealthy yeah, but not super heroic because he lacks powers.
He is a HERO but certainly not a SUPER hero.

Really the only thing that would make him better than usual are his gadgets and... last I checked. Gadgets only enhance what we can do, they don't give us some kind of power (barring Green Lanturn's ring). AND they have their limitations lets not forget that.

RedStarWarrior
22nd October 2009, 01:53 AM
He has super intelligence, which is an attribute, thus he is a super hero.

Drago
22nd October 2009, 03:09 AM
Yeah, but he's just... really really smart. Not like super gigantic brain coming out of the head smart, y'know? By that logic, real life people who seem to be smarter than Batman would be classified as superheroes, wouldn't they? (Assuming that they also fight supervillains... which I'm inclined to think most smart people do)

Heald
22nd October 2009, 03:42 AM
mr_pikachu: The Ghostbusters and their inventions obey the laws and physics of the canon of their own world. They invented their ghost-catching devices, rather than them working by magic, much like Batman's gadgets. Green Lantern's ring is, for all intents and purposes, a magical device that only works because of some supernatural power behind it. Therefore, no, Batman and Ghostbusters aren't superheroes.

RedStarWarrior
22nd October 2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah, but he's just... really really smart. Not like super gigantic brain coming out of the head smart, y'know? By that logic, real life people who seem to be smarter than Batman would be classified as superheroes, wouldn't they? (Assuming that they also fight supervillains... which I'm inclined to think most smart people do)
I think most smart people in the DC universe become villains.

He utilizes his intelligence and his resources to fight crime. Although I have never agreed with him being classified as a superhero before, I think it actually fits. I mean, Iron Man is a superhero, right? Stark's the exact same.

Knight of Time
22nd October 2009, 09:42 AM
Superheroes don't always have to be human...what about the superheroes we know that are mutants, such as the X-Men or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

We see them fighting crime just about all the time, and it just goes to show you, both superheroes and supervillains aren't always human (sometimes they are former humans, just transformed)

RedStarWarrior
22nd October 2009, 09:43 AM
Superheroes don't always have to be human...what about the superheroes we know that are mutants, such as the X-Men or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

We see them fighting crime just about all the time, and it just goes to show you, both superheroes and supervillains aren't always human (sometimes they are former humans, just transformed)
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have no super powers, so technically, if you were to agree with all the naysayers, they aren't superheroes.

Superheroes definitely do not have to be human, nor formerly human.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
22nd October 2009, 11:21 AM
A superhero for me is a hero capable of extraordinary deeds that surpass anything a normal human could possibly achieve. Batman does that all the time, like saving duckies and the Salvation Army from a bomb or beating up evil villains like King Tut and the Bookworm. He can climb up a wall on a rope together with Robin like no other too - a real superhero.

Magmar
23rd October 2009, 11:13 PM
Nowadays we don't have heroes. So why are they SUPER heroes? Batman's just a hero in my opinion. If you're looking for SUPER heroes, check out these hookers whose depth defying legs carry them from A to B:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rXR0uf2S87A/SpeX6GLau-I/AAAAAAAAAdA/332GdijxIgI/s400/sailormoon.jpg

God, this is the second time this week the Sailor Senshi appear in misc. via me. But seriously, their legs are way too fucking long.

Blademaster
24th October 2009, 01:10 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing, Maggy-boy. :keke:

Telume
24th October 2009, 08:26 AM
14-16 y/o's with disproportionate bodyparts ftw!

Lady Vulpix
24th October 2009, 01:51 PM
For his actions, I'd say he's a hero. Super or not... it depends on what you mean by super. Different people use different definitions. He does stand out from the crowd, and even among some other heroes, but he doesn't have any supernatural abilities (neither owned nor borrowed), so he may be 'super' or not, it's just a matter of sematics.

Dark Sage
26th October 2009, 12:20 PM
Batman straddles the line between hero and superhero. On one hand, he has no real super powers, which would suggest he is not a superhero. On the other hand, he regularly fights and defeats enemies that would pose a challenge for bona-fide superheroes. He has fought many of Superman's enemies and won.

I would say that while Batman is human, he is clearly not a normal human. He has honed his body and mind to near perfection, such that he is stronger and more agile than even an Olympic-level athelete, and smart enough to win several Nobel Prizes if he wanted to. It may not be truly superhuman, but it clearly is close to the limits of human potential.

Is Batman a superhero or simply a hero? Well, I guess that depends on each person's own opinion.

DarkestLight
26th October 2009, 01:18 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. Whoever compared Batman to Tony Stark has it exactly correct (minus the whole Suit integration thing...)

Batman/Tony Stark are average people with tons of wealth/technology at their disposal and insane smarts. We've established these as attributes that can define a Hero-but not a superhero. Theoretically, they were born with it (or Into it-as is the case with the money situation).

What makes them super then-would be how they use this wealth and technology. Yes, they could use it for nefarious deeds-but they don't. SO... I classify them as the exceptions to the rules of superhero. People who have amazing abilities (for them, being their gadgets)and use them to save people. There are going to be exceptions to every rule, and Batman/Tony Stark are (for me) the exception to the definition of superhero.

Now...what about characters like Sonic :O. I mean, he was born with super speed (Depends on what you're calling canon >>...I don't wanna hear about Fleetway, k, lets stick with Segasonic..) and well, for that world, its not really a super power :o Cause alot of citizens born in that world have some sort of special attribute :o.

The fact that he uses a magical item to go "Super" does nothing to help this claim, as he already performed superhuman feats with his natural speed. :o Goes for Tails, Knuckles, most of them. Heroes or Superheroes?

And HELLZ NO. Sailor Scouts 4eva. Disproportionate legs, never. Look at Saturn. She's correct. Outer Senshi too. Long legs are fine n_n!

Knight of Time
26th October 2009, 01:23 PM
Meh, I find it hard to think of Sonic the Hedgehog as a superhero, but I'm not so sure if his speed would be called a true superpower, I mean, it's just like with Tails' ability to fly, and Knuckles' abilities to glide, climb, and dig through soft floors, walls, and ceilings, it's really hard to say if any abilities a hero is born with can be considered super powers. I know for one, that Tails didn't know how to fly right off the bat when he was born, I believe Sonic showed him how to fly by having him turn his tails like rotors.

Heald
26th October 2009, 01:37 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. Whoever compared Batman to Tony Stark has it exactly correct (minus the whole Suit integration thing...)

Batman/Tony Stark are average people with tons of wealth/technology at their disposal and insane smarts. We've established these as attributes that can define a Hero-but not a superhero. Theoretically, they were born with it (or Into it-as is the case with the money situation).

What makes them super then-would be how they use this wealth and technology. Yes, they could use it for nefarious deeds-but they don't. SO... I classify them as the exceptions to the rules of superhero. People who have amazing abilities (for them, being their gadgets)and use them to save people. There are going to be exceptions to every rule, and Batman/Tony Stark are (for me) the exception to the definition of superhero.
Except you're forgetting...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_G5RrlRKCJxQ/STlwJqEcjSI/AAAAAAAAAfQ/79sqSw-IKAs/s400/iron-man-site-obadiah-stane.jpg

TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE!

WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgEyMcXQU60)

Knight of Time
26th October 2009, 01:40 PM
I just thought of another character that has gotten me baffled for quite a long time, would Inspector Gadget be considered a superhero, with all the gadgets he has, despite the fact that they don't always work or work right for him in certain circumstances?

Heald
26th October 2009, 01:48 PM
Inspector Gadget is mostly machine, so I guess he is a superhero.

I stand by my definition: if the character in question is just a normal human being who relies on technology that isn't entirely infeasible in the world he lives in, then he is not super. If he has supernatural powers or uses technology that is either magic or so advanced or alien that it wasn't feasible in his world, then he is a superhero.

I say Inspector Gadget is a superhero because his technology seems out-of-the-ordinary for his world. As for Sonic, well, Sonic's speed is the result of a lab accident that mutated him (depending on what canon you go by, anyway), so he is super in that sense too. Even if you go by the canon that he was born with supersonic speed, I still say that makes him 'super'. No other creature in his universe can hope to match him in terms of speed through effort alone, he clearly has some magical gift.

Knight of Time
26th October 2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, there certainly can be some confusion between defining a hero, and a superhero.

Now, one character I definitely know is a superhero is, Captain Planet. You know how he is formed through the powers of earth, fire, wind, water, and heart? He has a bunch of abilities that are based on one of the Planeteers' powers, but he has a few abilities of his own that are unique to him.

One more thing I just thought of for now, what about the TMNT character, Brick Bradley/Bugman? I know he was only in two episodes (Michaelangelo Meets Bugman, and Michaelangelo Meets Bugman again), but he clearly has the word superhero in his veins, I mean, with the various abilities he got from various insects and arachnids, it just goes to show you that sometimes a cartoon that has heroes who aren't true superheroes sometimes has its occasional superhero from time to time.

Dark Sage
26th October 2009, 02:18 PM
Inspector Gadget is a lampoon of a superhero. Sort of like The Tick.

DarkestLight
26th October 2009, 02:48 PM
Except you're forgetting...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_G5RrlRKCJxQ/STlwJqEcjSI/AAAAAAAAAfQ/79sqSw-IKAs/s400/iron-man-site-obadiah-stane.jpg

TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE!

WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgEyMcXQU60)

HELL YES!!!!!

Blademaster
26th October 2009, 03:41 PM
Inspector Gadget is a lampoon of a superhero. Sort of like The Tick.

Huh?

The Tick is a lampoon, yes. Inspector Gadget is a kid's show with a wacky superhero. There's a pretty big difference.

RedStarWarrior
26th October 2009, 05:51 PM

I agree with the classification of Iron Man and Batman as superheroes (and I was the one who did the original comparison), but you are forgetting that they have super intelligence which makes them above average.

You'd classify someone with super strength, super agility, etc., as a superhero, so why not super intelligence?

Weasel Overlord
26th October 2009, 07:36 PM
I think Batman IS a superhero. But then, I also think the real question is: is John Constantine a superhero?! WHO KNOWS. But he's totally awesome, either way.

With the whole thing with Batman's suit, it's questionable whether it makes him a superhero per se, since it's set in a world where things like that are perfectly possible. And yes, I'm talking with barely any knowledge of Batman canon here. I prefer my heroes snarky and anti, thankya very much.

Which brings me back to the Constantine issue again. XD Anyone got any opinions?

Dark Sage
26th October 2009, 07:45 PM
I think Batman IS a superhero. But then, I also think the real question is: is John Constantine a superhero?! WHO KNOWS. But he's totally awesome, either way.

With the whole thing with Batman's suit, it's questionable whether it makes him a superhero per se, since it's set in a world where things like that are perfectly possible. And yes, I'm talking with barely any knowledge of Batman canon here. I prefer my heroes snarky and anti, thankya very much.

Which brings me back to the Constantine issue again. XD Anyone got any opinions?

Well, Weasel, superheroes are always a satire, no matter how you look at them. I mean, if someone fell off a building and then tried to break his fall with that grappling hook like Batman always does, odds are he'd tear his arm off.

When you think of things like this, you start to question all the logic in comic books. When Sue Richards turns invisible, how does she see? If light passes through her, how can her eyes convert it into images?

Then you question how Spider-Man could have gained his powers from such a small dose of radiation. I mean really, how much radiation could have been transfered from a little spider's bite? Soon, you start questioning every character in every work of fantasy you've read, and you need to lie down for a while.

RedStarWarrior
26th October 2009, 08:01 PM
Then you question how Spider-Man could have gained his powers from such a small dose of radiation. I mean really, how much radiation could have been transfered from a little spider's bite? Soon, you start questioning every character in every work of fantasy you've read, and you need to lie down for a while.
I prefer to think that the spider was mutated by the radiation, thus it's venom acted like gene therapy, slowly mutating his cells, which would then pass it to their neighbors...idk.

Heald
27th October 2009, 04:42 AM
There's a difference between above average intelligence and super intelligence. Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark have above average intelligence, yes, but by no means is it infeasible that any other human could reach that level of intelligence by sheer effort. You wouldn't say either is smarter than, say, Stephen Hawking or any other leading physicist and they're not superhuman. Lex Luthor, on the other hand, is described as having super-intelligence, due to the fact he can do incredibly complex mathematical and chemical equations and formulae in his head in a fraction of a second, and is sometimes described as having Twelfth level intelligence (the maximum level), although this is possibly due to his contact with Brainiac. Lex Luthor has time and time again proven he possesses a level of intelligence that no human should ever have, yet Batman is just a really good detective and Tony Stark is just a really good weapons designer, not anything that would be classed as superhuman.

Dark Sage
27th October 2009, 04:47 AM
Well, are Deathstroke the Terminator, Ra's Al Ghul, and Dr. Doom super villains? Most folks would say that they are, even though they have no real super powers except their incredible intelligence. If great intelligence makes a villain a super villain, I'd say that the same thing could make a hero a superhero.

Heald
27th October 2009, 04:54 AM
It's not about being a hero or a villain, and I'm honestly not sure on the ones you mentioned as I know little about them, but I just wanted to stress the difference between super intelligence and just having above average intelligence. Yes, Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are shown to be very intelligent, but, depending on the canon, there has been little to no indication that their intelligence is so superior that it can be called superhuman.

I think the whole point of Batman is meant to be that he is not super in any way at all, even in intelligence. He survives and overcomes the odds through willpower, grit and spirit alone. That and a seemingly endless array of gadgets and gizmos.

RedStarWarrior
27th October 2009, 06:52 AM
Well, are Deathstroke the Terminator, Ra's Al Ghul, and Dr. Doom super villains? Most folks would say that they are, even though they have no real super powers except their incredible intelligence. If great intelligence makes a villain a super villain, I'd say that the same thing could make a hero a superhero.
Deathstroke has advanced physical powers (strength, agility, stamina) and has superior healing capabilities.

Ra's al Ghul has extended longevity and increased endurance.

Dr. Doom has "considerable mystical capabilities due to teachings from Tibetan monks and tutoring from Morgan Le Fey, and is capable of energy projection, creating protective shields, and summoning hordes of demonic creatures" as well as "psionically transferring his consciousness into another nearby being through a simple eye contact."

Anyway, Batman's technology isn't truly feasible. I mean, they try to make it seem like it's a decade away, but a lot of the stuff he has used over the years still does not exist, at least in the form that he used it. Mythbusters even had a special on it.

Dark Sage
27th October 2009, 11:40 AM
Ra's al Ghul has extended longevity and increased endurance.

True, but he gets that from artificial means. Anyone could use the same source to get the same abilities, so his longevity and endurance are more like technology than an inherent power.

Dr. Doom has "considerable mystical capabilities due to teachings from Tibetan monks and tutoring from Morgan Le Fey, and is capable of energy projection, creating protective shields, and summoning hordes of demonic creatures" as well as "psionically transferring his consciousness into another nearby being through a simple eye contact."

True, but he rarely ever uses either skill. He only uses magic on special occasions, because he feels that science is superior to it. His ability to transfer his consciouness to another being (which he aquired via training from an alien race called the Ovids) is a power that he has used a total of three times in his entire career, I believe. Exactly why he limits his use of this power is not known. If someone has powers that he almost never uses, it's hard to put them in his standard arsenal.

Heald
27th October 2009, 12:52 PM
Anyway, Batman's technology isn't truly feasible. I mean, they try to make it seem like it's a decade away, but a lot of the stuff he has used over the years still does not exist, at least in the form that he used it. Mythbusters even had a special on it.

I don't mean feasible in the sense of our world, but in his world. Hell, in the DC universe they're sending men to Mars, which is still decades away for us. People don't bat an eyelid (no pun intended) in the comics when Batman uses what we, the reader, would call an impossible gadget, because in their world it is realistic.

RedStarWarrior
27th October 2009, 02:52 PM
I don't mean feasible in the sense of our world, but in his world. Hell, in the DC universe they're sending men to Mars, which is still decades away for us. People don't bat an eyelid (no pun intended) in the comics when Batman uses what we, the reader, would call an impossible gadget, because in their world it is realistic.
That's the point though. We are using our world for the basis of what is and isn't normal. Flying could be normal in a fictional world, but we'd still classify it as above normal. I mean, Superman is just an regular Kryptonian, if you think about it.

True, but he gets that from artificial means. Anyone could use the same source to get the same abilities, so his longevity and endurance are more like technology than an inherent power.
Magical, not artificial.

True, but he rarely ever uses either skill. He only uses magic on special occasions, because he feels that science is superior to it. His ability to transfer his consciouness to another being (which he aquired via training from an alien race called the Ovids) is a power that he has used a total of three times in his entire career, I believe. Exactly why he limits his use of this power is not known. If someone has powers that he almost never uses, it's hard to put them in his standard arsenal.
He still has the powers, whether he uses them or not.

Andrew
28th October 2009, 01:07 AM
Superheroes IMO have a power that makes them super.

RedStarWarrior
28th October 2009, 01:08 AM
Superheroes IMO have a power that makes them super.
Care to elaborate?

Charles Legend
28th October 2009, 04:37 AM
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have no super powers, so technically, if you were to agree with all the naysayers, they aren't superheroes. Clearly you missed the Lost episodes in which they took on the Orignal Sheader which was a demon and were transformed into dragons do to magic talismans.

but yes in the end it just depends if the people in that world veiw thwm as superheros I mean look at Yugi, Jaden and Yusei thay are Ovily three of the best Dualist not to mention each had or has some kind of super natural powers but most people in the Yogioh canon just think of them as really good dualist.

~Charles Legend

MToolen
28th October 2009, 07:41 AM
It's true that there is a hard physical definition for being a superhero, but what about a percieved one? What about having a persona that is above average? If I were a criminal, the thought of being caught by something able to sneak by you undetected (or until he wants to be detected) would scare the crap out of me. Batman may not be able to use inherent abilities to create such a distinct mental image, but he does so nonetheless.

RedStarWarrior
28th October 2009, 07:53 AM
It's true that there is a hard physical definition for being a superhero, but what about a percieved one? What about having a persona that is above average? If I were a criminal, the thought of being caught by something able to sneak by you undetected (or until he wants to be detected) would scare the crap out of me. Batman may not be able to use inherent abilities to create such a distinct mental image, but he does so nonetheless.
I agree. Most minor villains in Batman (such as street criminals) think he has powers of some sort.

Andrew
28th October 2009, 04:20 PM
Care to elaborate?

Not really.

Batman is a fantastic hero whose armoury and skills push him into the lower levels of SUPERhero. Otherwise he's still a private eye with a lot of fancy shit.

Dark Scizor
28th October 2009, 04:34 PM
Batman has prep-time.

That's his superpower.

...and I guess he is the embodiment of human potential and spirit, or something gay like that. Either way, he's pretty much his BFF, Superman's foil.

Batman kills Gods...albeit with a gun laced with something that can kill Gods. But still.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2uhxons.jpg

Heald
28th October 2009, 09:11 PM
I assume that is Darkseid.

And Darkseid isn't really a god.

Dark Scizor
29th October 2009, 11:22 AM
He's a New God, close enough. It has God in it, does the job for me.

RedStarWarrior
29th October 2009, 11:27 AM
He's a New God, close enough. It has God in it, does the job for me.
He is a God in name only.

Dark Scizor
29th October 2009, 11:29 AM
Shhhh.

GreenShirT
29th October 2009, 07:32 PM
Batman is the greatest detective ever and is generally the hardest guy ever too. Of all the DC characters he is the best. How can someone who gets to say things like "psychotropic hallucinogen" not be a superhero??

mr_pikachu
29th October 2009, 07:56 PM
How can someone who gets to say things like "psychotropic hallucinogen" not be a superhero??

Psychotropic hallucinogen.

Hmm. I guess the latent superpowers I just unlocked are time-delayed.

RedStarWarrior
29th October 2009, 07:59 PM
Psychotropic hallucinogen.

Hmm. I guess the latent superpowers I just unlocked are time-delayed.
Congratulations, you are now as smart as a normal person.

Dark Sage
29th October 2009, 08:03 PM
People, Batman has done things that no ordinary mortal man could manage. I remember Justice League comic books when he has been the one to get the whole team out of problems that none of the other members had a clue about solving. (And he's only a part time member!)

Sure, he uses his smarts to do it most of the time, but he has some pretty serious smarts.

Blademaster
29th October 2009, 11:48 PM
Batman's a superhero because he has the Batmobile. Everyone can shut up now.

Dark Scizor
30th October 2009, 04:25 AM
People, Batman has done things that no ordinary mortal man could manage. I remember Justice League comic books when he has been the one to get the whole team out of problems that none of the other members had a clue about solving. (And he's only a part time member!)

Sure, he uses his smarts to do it most of the time, but he has some pretty serious smarts.
Prep-time.

Kyuuketsuki
30th October 2009, 04:52 AM
Technically speaking, Spiderman was bitten by a genetically-modified spider I think, so he actually uses Technology rather than supernatural stuff. Daredevil has no super powers, again "I think", he's semi-blind and yet he is considered a superhero, he doesn't even uses that much technology, neither does Elektra*. So Batman is a superhero, most people don't consider this cause he doesn't has any ninja skills or stuff like that.

*Jennifer Garner is flaming HOT!

Dark Scizor
30th October 2009, 05:03 AM
most people don't consider this cause he doesn't has any ninja skills or stuff like that.
You don't know how wrong this is.

PNT510
2nd November 2009, 01:39 AM
Technically speaking, Spiderman was bitten by a genetically-modified spider I think, so he actually uses Technology rather than supernatural stuff. Daredevil has no super powers, again "I think", he's semi-blind and yet he is considered a superhero, he doesn't even uses that much technology, neither does Elektra*. So Batman is a superhero, most people don't consider this cause he doesn't has any ninja skills or stuff like that.

*Jennifer Garner is flaming HOT!

Well it depends on what continuity you go by for Spider-man. In the comics and most of the TV shows he was bitten by a radioactive spider. The reason for this is back in the 60's when Stan Lee was coming up with the characters like Spider-Man, The Hulk, and Daredevil radiation was new and it seemed almost believable that radiation could mutate people. Now we know that it doesn't mutate people it just makes them sick and die.

Now genetics is like the new radiation. It's newer and it sounds somewhat believable that a genetically altered person could have super powers. So now newer version of Spider-man like the movies and the Ultimate comics line use a genetically altered spider instead of a radioactive spider but its the same basic premise. New science with unknown boundaries causes super powers.

As for Daredevil he does have super powers. He is actually completely blind, but because of the radioactive isotope that blinded him it developed super powers. He can read ink on a paper just by touching it his fingers are so sensitive. His hearing is so good he can tell the slight fluctuations a human heart makes when they're lying, and his hearing is so good he developed a sonar like radar sense.

Elektra I know less about but she had special ninja training from the hand and they're definitely super natural seeing as how they can bring people back from the dead.

Edit: Also Batman has Ninja skills. He spent years traveling the world learning every fighting style he could. Including Ninjitsu. It's how he's able to disappearing into the night or hide in the shadows.