PDA

View Full Version : DBZ sprite edits (ratings/suggestions welcome)

Master Rudy
29th October 2009, 03:24 AM
Well to get more practice editing sprites I decided to try my hand at an older DBZ game with less detailed sprites. I went with the RPG Legend of the Super Saiyan and took the two cutscene sprites for Goku using a Kamehameha. As reference I left in the original, unaltered sprites.

For the actual editing I did two different versions. One is a battle damaged variant. The newer DBZ games handle the battle damage quite well. However in many older games having a 2nd set of sprites for the times when a character hit critical HP was simply unheard of. The most you usually got was a very minor recolor to denote various status effects. For this one I did a recolor of the original part of Goku's gi to match his shirt since in many of the major battles/newer games of Z he'll tend to lose it without fail. With a little work as well as trial and error I eventually managed to get it looking pretty decent and not so obvious. I also did minor tweaks to the clothing to show holes and rips in various spots. As a final touch there are a few cuts on Goku.

For the other edit I went ahead and did a recolor to match Goku's clothing from GT. While that sounds simple enough bear in mind that in GT he does not wear an undershirt. As I said in my last topic adding a shirt isn't too bad. Removing it and having it still look decent is another matter. While I personally think the arms look slightly funny overall I don't think the end result turned out bad considering I've only been doing this for a few days.

Go ahead and take a look at them. Since this computer is tempermental I've put my edits and the original for reference into a zipped folder. Comments, ratings and suggestions are very much welcome ^_~