PDA

View Full Version : Winter Games: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Controversy!)

Roy Karrde
29th October 2009, 05:25 PM
http://whysoseriousgamers.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-480x300.jpg

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 seems to be one of if not the only big blockbuster Christmas game due out this year. With Bioshock 2 and other games being held back till next year, this game based off the best selling, and rather amazing Call of Duty 4 will be hitting store shelves just in time for the holiday shopping season: November 10th.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - World Premiere "Infamy" Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOWr1boplE)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL5keJSS6uw)

But this game isn't with out controversy, the game decides to drive home the realism and brutality of terrorism from the word go, this little secret was highlight just two days ago with the release of footage of the first level. The player enters a airport playing as a terrorist, and with the other terrorist brutally gun downs all civilians within the level before moving outside and fighting it out with the SWAT team on the tarmac.

The grainy footage of the level has sparked shock across the internet with Infinity Ward releasing a statement saying that the terrorist levels can be skipped. Even so that has not stopped some on the Australian Council on Children and the Media to demand that the game be re reviewed with a rating change that would effectively remove it from store shelves.

So Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is out in a few weeks, feel free to discuss the game, prepare matches, and talk about the brewing controversy over the game, which may ban it from some store shelves.

RedStarWarrior
29th October 2009, 05:32 PM
It won't be banned in the US regardless.

Anyway, who fucking cares? It's a fucking game.

Blademaster
29th October 2009, 11:44 PM
The terrorism thing was all over /v/ two days ago. A bit slow there Roy.

Roy Karrde
30th October 2009, 12:12 AM
The terrorism thing was all over /v/ two days ago. A bit slow there Roy.

Yeah I didn't want to make a topic until the news broke that Australia may revoke the game, which just hit today.

Anyway, who fucking cares? It's a fucking game.

Sadly it looks like Australia's game group may care it would suck if what looks like a awesome game gets banned. And of course you are going to have the 24 hour news cycle on this, I mean they thrive on these things and there hasn't been a new GTA out for a while. Or at least a GTA people widely know of.

PNT510
30th October 2009, 03:22 PM
Do any games get released in Australia anymore? It seems like at least once a week there is some game that's being refused classification.

Roy Karrde
1st November 2009, 05:42 PM
Just wanted to mention a list of Online Kill Streak Rewards has been released

3 Kills - UAV
4 Kills - Care Package
4 Kills - Counter UAV
5 Kills - Sentry Gun
5 Kills - Predator Missile
6 Kills - Precision Airstrike
7 Kills - Strike
7 Kills - Attack Heli
8 Kills - Emergency Airdrop
9 Kills - Pave Low
9 Kills - Stealth Bomber
11 Kills - Chopper Gunner
11 Kills - AC-130
15 Kills - EMP
25 Kills - Tactical Nuke

Video of the Tactical Nuke taking out the whole level can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0H_ZhHa0hE&feature=player_embedded)

Kyuuketsuki
1st November 2009, 08:58 PM
I think it will be better than all the other CoD games, now that you mention it I do miss GTA, I completed the story twice, then got bored and deided to start all over. Now I'm in the middle.

Roy Karrde
8th November 2009, 09:39 PM
Just wanted to post some info, Gamestop has apparently broken street date in some markets, Gamestop Corporate has stated:

This past weekend, GameStop made the decision to break street date and sell reserved copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in select markets where other retailers had broken street date. Our decision followed many conversations with Activision and was an effort to protect our customer base.

Looks like Gamestop has stopped letting mom and pop stores screw them around on Street Dates

PNT510
8th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Not real news but I was working back in electronics at target the other day when the copies of MW2 came in. I got to stare longingly at the package before locking it up though.

Clark
8th November 2009, 09:52 PM
i preordered the 250gb xbox 360 mw2 edition, so couple more days :)

Roy Karrde
10th November 2009, 11:14 PM
Just beat the Single Player mode, having played through it in about 6 hours, to tell the truth this game wasn't anywhere close to being as good as Call of Duty 4. There were no real stand out missions like say the Nuclear Bomb explosion in the first movie or popping off bad guys on the ground from the airplane, or remaining absolutely silent in the field. This seemed much more generic FPS with a few driving sequences added in.

In fact the only thing that remotely stood out was the terrorism sequence and with all the fuss made about it at the beginning of the game I thought there would be more.

So yeah, maybe the Multiplayer is awesome, but so far the Single Player has nothing on Uncharted 2.

PNT510
11th November 2009, 12:03 AM
I didn't get to play much of the single player, just a level and a half. Snow levels suck on my TV because the contrast is all screwed up and I can't see a thing.

Special Ops is pretty awesome, I had a friend come over and we spent about 2 1/2 hours blowing through some of them. My favorite ones are definitely the ones where one guy is on the group and the other is controlling a helicopter and blowing everything to hell. I also liked how one mission was basically the sniper mission from COD4 just remade for co-op.

Multi-player is a blast. I didn't play much of COD4 online because I just got trashed the second I joined any games. Tonight was different though because I partied with some guys from work so even though I was getting raped I was still having fun. I also got a lot better as the night progressed. My first match I think I had 3 kills and 16 deaths and I think my best game I wound up doing something like 8 kills to 10 deaths, nothing great, but an improvement.

Master Rudy
11th November 2009, 01:47 AM
According to a few people I've talked to, as well as a few summaries I've read the game suffered from a very poor story. You could make the arguement that you don't play a shooter for it's story but let's face it: games like Rainbow Six: Vegas 1&2 and Perfect Dark may not always be 100% great in the script but they can have good stories. Also bear in mind one of my examples is nearly 10 years old and was TWO generations ago as far as systems go.

All in all from what I've heard and read it seems like they got lazy and figured people will buy this on the sole fact that it's CoD. As a result this isn't going to be a total bomb but I can already see Gamestop getting flooded with copies not too long from now :-/

Clark
12th November 2009, 09:45 PM
What system are you guys playing on? I have it on 360 if anyone wants to play sometime. Let me know your tag.

Heald
13th November 2009, 06:33 AM
The thing is, I want to play MW2 both on the Ecks-Bawks and online, yet I don't have XBox Live, nor do I want to get it, so I'll either just get the PC version or get both versions.

I mainly want the Ecks-Bawks version so I can practice and kick my friends' asses in split-screen.

PNT510
15th November 2009, 04:07 PM
Finished the campaign last night and I really enjoyed it. It didn't have the best story but you can tell Infinity Ward put a lot of time and effort into making it a really cinematic game. There was a lot of things you just won't see in any other shooter.