PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu! (Or: things to do when home sick.)

Magmar
5th November 2009, 01:59 PM
I have swine flu!

I've been home sick for over three days now... and I'm really effing bored. I need suggestions for things to do online that can keep me preoccupied for a while. I'm bored with facebook stalking, and I've been playing Pandemic II again just for the thrill of trying to infect Madagascar. My boyfriend's sick too with the flu.

So suggestions! This way as everyone else catches it, they'll have things to do!

And now for the livejournal whining. All the coughing is obnoxious since it spread to my lungs and gave me bronchitis too... but at least I'm not missing out on exercise... my abs feel pretty good...

I noticed the dream thread is gone. When I broke out in the really high fever and had to go to the ER (yeah, woe is me, boo hoo Livejournal emo etc.) I had this screwed up dream involving TPM members. I dreamed that Jeff lived on the Texas shore (kind of where Dru lives, just Dru wasn't in the dream--just mentioned in passing as "having lived through bigger hurricanes in these parts") and lived in a house so full of Pokemon merchandise, he had piles of figurines in the original packages under his bed. I was with homeofmew and Andrew and we were trying to convince him to "not off himself like two other members just tried to". Then I was at the beach and the tide was coming in and the waves were huge, and Jeff and Tina were there too because we "needed to get away from TPM" and we wanted to see the waves. Tina stepped in up to her toes, then a giant wave took her out to sea and lifeguards went after her. (I guess it was called Hurricane Yolanda?) And then a huge wave came up and there was this dock, and the sandy, shelly soil went up to this rock wall you see, and there was only a few feet left of beach and this high up dock I could jump up to (kind of like where you get the sword of the crusaders in Oblivion?)

Anyways, I got hit by the wave and was like face first in the mud, underwater and couldn't move my legs and definitely drowning. Last thing I knew, Jeff was pulling me out because "Tina was trying to find the real Mew in the ocean, and Magmar's a fire type" I woke up with my legs being asleep because I was sleeping with them crossed somehow, and my temperature was over 103, and I had a fever headache and could barely see. I was having some trouble breathing. Everything was dry. I felt like I was trying to tear myself out of my body, which wouldn't move. Yeah, Swine Flu really sucks. I ended up going to the emergency room after taking motrin... and the fever went down... so the doctors didn't even think it was that big of a deal.

But that was my TPM dream. Thanks, TPMlivejournal. I'm still alive. Some girl a couple towns away (my roommate's sister's classmate--oh Kevin Bacon) just died of Swine Flu, and went through a similar fever spike episode. If I didn't wake up, I might not be here.

So, I love TPM and am glad to still be alive and here. Take swine flu seriously--but I expect each and every one of you to be like "ha ha swine flu lol" or I'll be disappointed, because I still laugh about swine flu even though it almost killed me.

Now help me fight boredom please :)

RedStarWarrior
5th November 2009, 02:08 PM
Crafty Mexicans.

You could play Sudoku or crossword puzzles or something.

VirtualPlay
5th November 2009, 03:11 PM
One word: AddictingGames.

Okay, that's really two words mashed into one, and there's a .com after it, but whatever! I have wasted soooooo many hours on that site, on the most stupid and ridiculous games that I wouldn't even think about playing normally. Most of them don't have any replay value, and some get boring after only 5 minutes (some don't even take that long), but there are a LOT of games…just go to the genre you like and start scrolling alphabetically.

Sucks about swine flu, though. Although here's something to possibly cheer you up. At Anime Boston this past year, there was an L cosplayer going around (and he was pretty good, too), and every now and then he'd pull out a Swinub card, swipe it on something or someone, and say, "You now have Swinub Flu!"

Telume
5th November 2009, 03:12 PM
Prank calls are always fun :lol:

Little_Pikachu
5th November 2009, 03:35 PM
When I had flu a few weeks ago I just spent all day in bed sleeping, I was so sick I couldn't get up. As I'm sure we've all been told by a parent at some time, if you're well enough to play on the Internet you're well enough to go to school/work/whatever applies :)

classy_cat18
5th November 2009, 03:43 PM
DVDs are a lifesaver, especially if you boxed sets of your favorite shows. I also look to sites like Hulu to pass the time spent not out cold due to nighttime meds.

Zak
5th November 2009, 04:18 PM
I go and re-watch some of my favorite shows online or on DVD, or have myself a movie marathon or play video games.

mr_pikachu
5th November 2009, 04:25 PM
When I'm sick... uh, I have to work even harder to keep up with papers and such while fighting through the fog in my head. "Break" is quickly becoming a foreign term. Grad school... what are you gonna do?

As an aside, apparently about 80% of my students have contracted swine flu at some point this semester. What's really remarkable is when they recover quickly enough to come to class the next day. It's almost like they were never sick in the first place! >_>

GreenShirT
5th November 2009, 04:26 PM
I watched Murder She Wrote :)

Blademaster
5th November 2009, 05:44 PM
Buy a Wii.

Buy Boom Blox (Bash Party or the original - it doesn't matter much).

Look at the calendar and notice it's 16 days later.

No longer sick or bored. You've won two battles with one weapon. :keke:

Houndoom_Lover
5th November 2009, 06:02 PM
Aww! The swine flu! You should stop licking pigs, Magmar :0 I lie in bed, watching whatever's on USA or Sci-fi, but that's what I do every day.

Plus I get soup and pampering :3

I'm glad you're feeling less dead.

shazza
5th November 2009, 09:02 PM
Reacquaint yourself with a plant that you and I have a mutual interest over.

Jeff
5th November 2009, 09:41 PM
Whenever I have TPM dreams, it's just about me posting on the forums. I've never had a dream about having wacky adventures with my fellow TPMers.

Anyway, if you're looking to kill time, the Internet is a wonderful thing.

Crystal Mew
5th November 2009, 09:47 PM
go read a book! :)

Drago
5th November 2009, 09:54 PM
Writing, of course! Take this chance to come up with something new... Now that you're stuck in a hermit-like state, you may end up coming up with the best stuff ever! Or perhaps it'll be shit, in which case you can just chuck it out. Whatevs.

Stream of consciousness stuff is fun to kill a couple minutes.

abunaidesu
5th November 2009, 11:01 PM
Watch Supernatural season five.

Crystal Mew
5th November 2009, 11:29 PM
Ooh I want to start watching supernatural, is it really good??

abunaidesu
5th November 2009, 11:43 PM
Ooh I want to start watching supernatural, is it really good??

It is the best show ever :)

Houndoom_Lover
5th November 2009, 11:50 PM
The table I'm at is STICKY. Fuck. Look at it! It's sticky all over the place.

I wanna know something :0 What were your Swine Flu dreams like, Magmaryyyy? Were they filled with pigs? Are you all better now? My Mom has the Swine.

When did you know you first had the flu?

Magmar
10th November 2009, 05:53 PM
Reacquaint yourself with a plant that you and I have a mutual interest over.

Oh, the re-acquainting went well. It was a better acquaintance than before, when I would ... acquaint myself regularly.

Anyways, I'm all better now and making up exams and shit. Thanks for all the suggestions. I had fun with addictinggames.com and even went to bored.com for a little while. I discovered www.ugliesttattoos.com, a great blog for the bored. I do have a wii :) can't wait for the new Mario!

PancaKe
10th November 2009, 06:39 PM
Write a story.

Read a book.

Start a knitting project.

Coloring in books.

Watch daytime TV (judge judy, ready steady cook, oprah, yay)

Watch late at night tv (foreign films with lots of nudity)

Play solitare

Play online games

Play facebook games

Play happy aquarium

Call friends

Text friends

Edit photos

Film youtube videos

Dont die

:D

Houndoom_Lover
10th November 2009, 06:45 PM