PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Online

Roy Karrde
9th November 2009, 09:52 PM
http://www.cynamite.de/imgserver/bdb/31700/31757/190x.jpg

Alright from the chats I know we have more than a few Trekkies that visit this board, and to tell the truth I havn't been following this game that much. I know it is set in it's own fictional version of the future in the Trek Verse, with some connections to the events that led into the new Star Trek Movie, and to tell the truth I absolutely hate MMOs.

That being said, I love Star Trek, I have loved Star Trek since I was a little kid watching TNG with my father. So with a very lackluster spring and summer coming up, I was curious to see if anyone plans to get this game when it launches in February, and while I tend to avoid interactions with other players, I would love to do a TPM crew.

So anyone else going to get the game?

Houndoom_Lover
9th November 2009, 10:29 PM
You bet I am! :3

PNT510
9th November 2009, 11:24 PM
I'm a fan of Star Trek, but I really haven't liked any MMO's out there other than Warcraft. Nothing I've seen about this game really makes me think it's going to break the mold enough to where I'd really enjoy it.

Master Rudy
9th November 2009, 11:27 PM
Hmm....depends on several factors. Key one for me being if this can stand up and compete with the current market and the current big three (WoW, Aion and LotR). There's nothing worse than having a new MMO come out and then seeing it tank. Another factor would be if Brandy is looking to play it or not. She's the one who slowly got me into Trek and frankly it wouldn't be as fun if she's wasn't there as well. Finally there's the matter of needing a computer to run it as well as the fact that I've already got WoW: Cat reserved. If I do give STO a try it'll be at least mid to late summer since I'll have to play some massive catch up in WoW due to the fact that I'm going to be starting fresh from level 1 (long story)

And in case your wondering it's release date is 2/2/10. I did a little business at Gamestop today and was there as they were putting the reserve boxes out. Due to the fact that they always toss out some kind of placeholder date I asked the guy working there and he assured me that it was a totally 100% offical date, so long as there aren't any changes from the developer.

Weasel Overlord
10th November 2009, 08:08 AM
Oh wank, it's an MMO?! BAH. I freaking hate MMOs. I mean, okay, so it's Star Trek and therefore more able to pull me in... but with this and FFXIV coming out shortly (ish ahahah) I just don't know what to do!! Maybe if I have an actual income at some point by the time it comes out? Either way, it all sounds very exciting XD Although I think I'd rather have a game based on TOS than TNG, lol. If only for the lulz. And the shirt-tearing.

I heard that it was going back to the TNG roots of things, and been set during that series? Might be bollocks, but I'm SURE I read somewhere that it was gonna be TNG rather than too much in the future/AU-ey.

And saying that I hate MMOs, well, if it comes with a chance to be a grumpy Starfleet CMO, well... I might make an exception. ¬_¬

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
10th November 2009, 11:23 AM
I love MMORPGs, at least the ones that don't attract too many casual players and kiddies. I'll give STO a good look for sure, I just love the Star Trek universe.

Roy Karrde
10th November 2009, 11:26 AM
Weasel its set a few years after the destruction of Romulus, so I guess technically that would be considered the TNG era? I guess its a bit more closer to the Voyager era. It has new uniforms, upgraded ships, etc etc.

And I completely understand the hate for MMOs, I just could not get into FF11 out of some fear of fucking up totally while in a group raid. So I figured maybe starting out with some TPMers would ease that fear a bit.

RedStarWarrior
10th November 2009, 12:38 PM
I love Star Trek, but I never really got into any of the games. I doubt that it will change for this one.