PDA

View Full Version : Wait, you're a dude?

VirtualPlay
10th November 2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, yes I am. Apparently, a lot of people here didn't realize this until I started posting pictures of myself in the appropriate topic (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19340&page=5) in Misc. So in response to Zak's comment of the lack of polls combined with my curiosity on the subject, I present my poll:

• Which of you thought I was female until you saw my posted pictures (or had me say so within the past few days)?
• If you thought I was female, what made you think so?
• If you still think I'm female…what is wrong with you?

Houndoom_Lover
10th November 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure why I thought you were a girl. X3 I was like, "Oh fu- you're not" 0_o

Either way, meh bad X3

mr_pikachu
10th November 2009, 08:44 PM
1. Which of you thought I was female until you saw my posted pictures (or had me say so within the past few days)?
Me and apparently others.

2. If you thought I was female, what made you think so?
I saw red text and no gender explicitly stated. The internet minimizes social cues, so we are forced to fill in the gaps with assumptions, some of which may be incorrect (Walther & Park, 2002).

3. If you still think I'm female…what is wrong with you?
It's impossible to say your gender for certain. For now, my best guess is leaning toward male. In time, I will undoubtedly forget my reasons for this assertion and return to the stereotype of red text.

Walther, J. B. & Park, M. R. (2002). Cues filtered out, cues filtered in: Computer mediated communication and relationships. In M. L. Knapp, J. A. Daly & G. R. Miller (Eds.), The Handbook of Interpersonal Communication (3rd edition) (pp. 529-563). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.

Telume
10th November 2009, 08:54 PM
VirtualPlay DOES NOT sound like the name a girl would use.

Then again I did see a guy named Martha_Stewart on an IRC network once, but, I think that was more of a joke name than it was a real one.

I've seen guys use red text, if he was using pink THEN I'd say I'd have to agree on the whole "I thought you were a girl." But for the most part I thought you were a guy since I usually assume most people on the internet are guys. Unless they use the tilde (~) at the end of their sentences (I.E: Hello~) I also tend to then they're girls if they go nuts with the faces like ^_^ or :3.

VirtualPlay
10th November 2009, 09:34 PM
So one person says red = female, another says red can = male. Interesting…

Oh and I do occasionally do the ~ at the end of sentences/words, but only in MSN chat when I'm being silly with people there. It's not a common thing, and I don't do it on the forum.

Kurosakura
10th November 2009, 09:53 PM
1. I've always thought you were a guy, but then again, we first met on AIM. XD

2 & 3. Don't apply to meh! ;D

PancaKe
10th November 2009, 10:28 PM
Your font is pretty girly. I dunno. I just thought you was one.

abunaidesu
10th November 2009, 10:36 PM
• Which of you thought I was female until you saw my posted pictures (or had me say so within the past few days)?
• If you still think I'm female…what is wrong with you?

1. I never thought you were a female.
2. n/a
3. n/a

Master Rudy
11th November 2009, 12:52 AM
Your font is pretty girly. I dunno. I just thought you was one.

How's VP's font girly? Damn I hopw people don't think that with me in the rare cases I actually remember to use my font tags. Then again with a name like Rudy I hope people wouldn't even remotely consider that about me..... >_<

In any case in regards to the poll I never thought VP was a girl. I'll be honest with you however.....tending to play female characters in RPG's doesn't always help :-/

PancaKe
11th November 2009, 06:39 AM
I like your font rudy! I WANT A FONT NOW

Telume
12th November 2009, 01:34 AM
I've seen people use Red comic-sans MS fonts then again matter of fact I know someone who uses it. Hell I've even used it at some point (just no on forums). Red really isn't that girly of a color IMO.

I stick to what I said, and I will reiterate with a programming code:

if ($font = pink) || ($textend .= ~) {
$girl = TRUE;
}
else {
$girl = FALSE;
}

Yes I know, bit of a stereo type since PancaKe uses orange then again she didn't hide her gender now did she? >_>

classy_cat18
12th November 2009, 02:10 AM
One of the advantages of being active in RPG is that I found this out at least a year ago. You did state that you were a guy in that sig you used to have. ^^;

You play female characters all the time in RPG. And you seem to be pretty comfortable with them. Of course, you've already told me why that was, so there's no need to slap some sense into me.

Master Rudy
12th November 2009, 04:10 AM
I like your font rudy! I WANT A FONT NOW

I use Segoe UI. The font that Mircosoft introduced and used as the default in Vista. The difference compared to the older font used up until XP is subtle. However I think it helps set me apart.

Oh and Tel she uses GOLD! I'm the one who use to use ORANGE!

ORANGE!
GOLD!

See the difference?

Telume
12th November 2009, 08:26 AM
Barely but, I do now XD. It's really hard to tell when you don't look carefully. And I don't when I'm reading the posts a lot of the time. 'course I wouldn't be stupid enough to call green black, but you get the idea.

Crystal Mew
12th November 2009, 07:19 PM
I never thought you were a guy, plus we e-dated. lolz