PDA

View Full Version : News forum (ATTN admins)

Jeff
11th November 2009, 01:21 PM
So, I've been thinking about how we should handle posting the news, and remember back when we were talking about integrating it into the forums? Well, I've written a script that's able to take threads from the forums and display their first post on the site. What this means is that we can have Gabi or Suzie create a forum that only certain people have permission to post new threads in, but anyone can post replies, and that will serve as the news forum. Any thread that gets posted there will be displayed, along with its original post, on the main site. The main advantage of this is that the news will be more visible, since people will be able to see it in both the forums and the site.

So, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

mr_pikachu
11th November 2009, 02:10 PM
Good idea overall, I think. The one possible drawback is that it might take away viewership of the main site, since all our information could just as easily be viewed within the forums. On the other hand, it would make contributing easier... half the reason I haven't yet posted anything is because I've forgotten how to log into that system, and I haven't had the time to search back through everything for the answer.

Regarding the drawback mentioned above, one way to alleviate it would be to hide the "News Posting" forum (not just lock posting) from non-contributors. That way, the casual reader won't simply be able to pop into the forums for all the same information. Just a thought. I don't want to inhibit the forums either, of course.... *shrugs*

Jeff
11th November 2009, 02:35 PM
Well, the way I see it is that the news forum will make it more convenient for forum members to post news, and with more news posts showing up on the site, that'll draw more people in. I wouldn't want to hide the forum since replying to threads in that forum would be the only way to comment.

I did consider the fact that it would make it unnecessary for people to go to the site, but hopefully as we get more content, that won't matter since the site will be able to stand on its own anyway.

mr_pikachu
11th November 2009, 02:46 PM
Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realize that the forums would be the only way to comment, as well. So the website will attract people to the forums (a big reason we started the project in the first place), yet with its own unique content (Pokedex, guides, etc.) will serve its own purpose. I like it!

firepokemon
11th November 2009, 04:16 PM
I like it. Too bad I';ve been so lazy lately.

PancaKe
11th November 2009, 05:23 PM
Would forum news also be relevant to the website? Like if things change on the forum and stuff?

mr_pikachu
11th November 2009, 05:28 PM
I think so... we've been planning on including elements like the Fanfic Hall of Fame there, after all. Granted, forum news might (or might not) go in a different section, but certain things are definitely website-worthy.

Jeff
11th November 2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I've already been posting forum-related stuff. Like when Gabi got admined, when people get modded, and I also made a post about the Unown Awards.

Lady Vulpix
11th November 2009, 06:11 PM
I think it could work. I've seen similar things done on other sites, mainly webcomics.

I can make the forum once an agreement has been reached about where it should go, what it should be called and who should be allowed to post threads in it.

kainashi
11th November 2009, 06:37 PM
under binary district would be fine. i guess it having its own forum could work too.

Houndoom_Lover
11th November 2009, 06:47 PM
I support this ^_^ Whatever we do with it

mr_pikachu
11th November 2009, 06:50 PM
PROPOSAL

Name: TPM News Posts
Placement: Subforum of Website Revival Project
Access Privileges: All staff and those who have posted news stories thus far -- anyone else wanting to post a story can request approval, much like the Mt. Moon system.

Comments/criticisms/objections/cake?

kainashi
11th November 2009, 06:53 PM
wouldn't it be easier just to have it as a subforum of binary district? easier to find at least. :P just "tpm news" is fine, in my opinion.

Jeff
11th November 2009, 06:53 PM
Another possibility I was thinking about would be to make the Website Revival Project forum into its own forum, and renaming it The PokéMasters. Then we could put the news forum there. As for the name, I say call it TPM News.

Now for members. Here's the list of current members with news posting privileges on the site:
Jeff
Telume
firepokemon
Rossymore
Houndoom_Lover
Charles Legend
mikachu (but hasn't been around, so I don't know about giving him access right away)
CrazyElfBoy
Roy Karrade
Redfire313

We could also follow the precedent with the contributors' forum and Mt. Moon, and just give access to all staff members as well.

Lady Vulpix
11th November 2009, 06:54 PM
*Gives Brian some cake.*

Thanks for the list, Jeff.

Jeff
12th November 2009, 02:20 PM
OK, so we're kind of in agreement on the name. We just need to figure out where to put the thing.

I'll reiterate my earlier proposal and say we should split this forum off of TBD, because it would make it easier to access the contributors' subforum, and then we could make the news forum a subforum of this one, which makes more sense than making it a subforum of TBD. (for those who don't know what the contributors' forum is, just smile and nod)

Also, either way, this forum should probably be renamed "The Pokémasters" and the description updated to something like "Comments and suggestions for TPM go here".

Lady Vulpix
16th November 2009, 06:24 PM
The forum is up and running. Please test it and let me know if anything needs fixing.

Jeff
16th November 2009, 06:46 PM
It's up and running now, but nothing's showing up at the moment.

I've noticed that the "From The Forums" box doesn't update right away when a new thread is posted, so I'm guessing that it takes time before the server updates the feed. So if I'm right, it should show up soon.

Edit: Now I see why it isn't working. It isn't visible when I'm not logged in, which explains why I can't pull the feed from it.

Houndoom_Lover
16th November 2009, 07:38 PM
This is so cool!

pokemasterfrank
11th January 2010, 02:40 PM
Not sure where to post this or who to ask... But anyway, this seemed like a good place...

http://www.pokemon.com/us/news/vg_hgss_news_walker-2010-01-06/

I believe this is the first official announcement that the North American release will include the Pokewalker accessory? I did a search of the news forums, and it seems this was missed. Can someone make a post? I think this is front page worthy...

Jeff
11th January 2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up!