PDA

View Full Version : Water on the Moon :0

Houndoom_Lover
14th November 2009, 02:57 PM
I thought they knew that there was water on the moon, in the frozen polar caps, but I guess now it's offical!

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20091115-236337/Thrilling-discovery-Lots-of-water-on-moon

Read more and make nerdy squeak sounds with me

Squeee!

Kurosakura
14th November 2009, 04:17 PM
*squees*

Buzz Aldrin is right though, Mars > Moon. D:

toucheiruka
14th November 2009, 07:33 PM
in a few decades we'll be singing "I'm on the moon"

fuck earth, I've gone lunar motherfucker!

Telume
14th November 2009, 08:53 PM
Hells yeah, now we can actually DO a moonwalk! ;)

Houndoom_Lover
15th November 2009, 02:14 PM
XD I demand that someone writes "I'm on the moon"

AAwrw, but the moon is closer :0 If we could drive straight up, it would only take a month or a week or a day or something. I don't remember the ending of that quote- AT ALL.

If we lived on the moon, we'd hafta put moon in front of everything and ship it back to earth.

"Moon-crunchies anyone?"

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
15th November 2009, 02:35 PM
I wonder if any of us will actually live to see the day that man dwells on the moon. Honestly with problems like overpopulation and decreasing fossil energy resources close at hand in the near future I think they will put any ambitious space projects like living on the moon on hold. When speaking of the near future I mean within the next 50 or so years by the way.

Houndoom_Lover
15th November 2009, 02:38 PM
NASA has been seriously downplayed for the last several decades. Many people don't think it's important anymore because its been in the background while the media and many of the people in charge forcus on, like you said, overpopulation and decreasing resources.

I hope something comes out of it...NASA is working on some energy project that was meritty, but I can't seem to remember what.

Telume
15th November 2009, 02:52 PM
I don't think the idea of living anywhere else other than earth is too farfetched really.

The problem is we are holding ourselves back, we have the intelligence to make our cars run 80 miles per gallon, but, we don't do it.

Houndoom_Lover
15th November 2009, 02:54 PM
:0 If we can get to the moon WAY back then, I'm suprised we havn't done more. I really think we're focusing on the wrong things. We should be progressing in bounds by now. It feels like we've slown down for some reason.

I guess it just feels to be more about the money and less about a shining goal.

Telume
15th November 2009, 02:57 PM
By now we have the technology to do so much and yeah it does feel like we've kinda slowed down in the technological breakthroughs department.

I think part of that though is that the people who make the stuff don't really announce it to the world like they used to. Back in the day, they made a big discovery all the countries in the world made some noise, but now it's like, they discover something maybe some nations make some noise and the others are all "Yeah sure, whatev you keep workin' on that."

Houndoom_Lover
15th November 2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, everyone is really hushed hushed. I've noticed that.

Is it so their ideas arn't stolen? Is it really that easy to take someone elses blueprints?

I wish they would, though. Get all big and huffy and fight over who will have what, think of all the things we can do with a little motivation. We'd have the Moon colonized much sooner, if we are to colonize the moon.

Telume
15th November 2009, 03:02 PM
I think that was part of the motivation back in the day, I mean that motivation got us to the moon. Our beef with the Soviets that is. Now there's no incentive because we're not really competing with anyone.

Houndoom_Lover
15th November 2009, 03:06 PM
:0 Someone better get on kicking up some dust. Like, China...China better start doing shit that'll make us go "We can do that!"

Or Russia...even Cuba, heck! Someone, anyone e have bad blood with. Even freakin' Canada...:0 CANADA!

Mr. Brightside
16th November 2009, 04:31 AM
Very interesting and exciting indeed. Now, i wonder where are the aliens...

Andrew
16th November 2009, 05:06 AM
There's water on Mars too. It was fucking freaky.

My favourite part was the suicide

MeLoVeGhOsTs
16th November 2009, 05:36 AM
Then we'll have a real Mt.Moon!

shazza
16th November 2009, 05:49 AM
Finding water on the moon is a remarkable step towards colonization, regardless of the extent of media coverage. Whether or not it will be in our life times, time will only tell. We once thought, from what evidence we had, that water was only exclusive to earth: now we see not only water on our very own moon, but water on Titan (Saturn's largest moon), Europa (Jupiter's sixth moon) and possibly many others. Not only can this aid in future terraforming, but simply raises the question of the extent of life in the universe -- although, I sincerely doubt in our solar system.

We've found like 350 exoplanets since 1993, and finding exoplanets which are very similar to Earth -- e.g. Gilese 581 e -- and soon enough we're going to end up finding a planet which is made up of water to the extent Earth is. Astronomy and space is such an exciting venture, and it is definitely a shame that so few people realise the excitement of it due to being absorbed in their own world, believing them to be the centre of the universe. We are just a tiny spec in the grand scale of the cosmos, and I can't put it anymore better then this quote:

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe:, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
-Carl Sagan (1934-1996)

http://elfwax.com/wp-content/uploads/carl-sagan-smoke-weed-everyday.jpg

Magmar
16th November 2009, 07:39 AM
Shazza: True dat, yo, true dat.

Jeff
16th November 2009, 07:49 AM
Great, just what we need. Another place to get overpriced bottled water from.

But seriously, this is great news for the moon base plans. Being able to mine ice for water beats recycled urine any day.

Indecent Exposure
16th November 2009, 05:10 PM
Yay water!

PancaKe
16th November 2009, 05:18 PM
Makes me wonder... Would people actually move to the moon to live there? LIke in a hundred years....

Asilynne
16th November 2009, 10:36 PM
To be honest I think society would end up falling before we colonise to the moon, as much as Id like to see otherwise. Also lets not forget Ganymede and Callisto (2 more of Jupiters moons) also have water on them. Ganymede even may have a liquid sea under the ice, because theres been evidence of cracks in the ice that have refrozen in a way that suggests liquid water flowed out of them and froze. Its exciting stuff and Id really like to see some more progress made, but its like Houndy said, it seems to be about the money. Our technology could probably be far more advanced than it is (ie: Cars using something better, cheaper and more efficient than gas) but such an invention would cause the oil companies to go out of business, so I dont see them "allowing" such an invention to be created. Kinda pisses me off but what can you do.

Houndoom_Lover
16th November 2009, 11:20 PM
Only solution...? We pull a Fight Club. That's the fastest way we'll get to the moon and harvest that tasty moon water!

I wonder what moon water tastes like?

Master Rudy
17th November 2009, 12:36 AM
Instead of a moon colony we need to do what they did in Futurama and put a theme park on the moon. One small step for man and one giant line for admission :lol:

Houndoom_Lover
17th November 2009, 01:44 PM
Oh gosh, yesh! And then we can turn Mars into Parking lots!

Crystalmaster Mike
17th November 2009, 02:55 PM
Oh gosh, yesh! And then we can turn Mars into Parking lots!

Lol, reminds me of a saying the people of Antwerp have, in which I'll substitute "city" for "world":

There's only 1 planet, that's Earth. The rest is parking space.

You know, there are probably a dozen reasons research into anything (and the resulting breakthroughs) are being kept more quiet these days. The main ones, I think, are to keep 2 kind of people of their back: opponents, and the competition.
Now, if Russia would do something bold like planting a flag next to the Apollo's, you can bet the race would be on again. Remember the stir that flag on the Artic Sea bodem created?

Houndoom_Lover
17th November 2009, 02:59 PM
If Russia blew up the Moon, I'd bet that would make us get off our butts too!

There's actually a quotes that says that *mind=blown* :0 That's rocking awesome. No, that's rock lobster!

We just need something to stilumate the world- an alien attack would do it too ^w^