PDA

View Full Version : silly things to be scared of :)

PancaKe
22nd November 2009, 05:23 AM
It's so hot. I should sleep with the fan on.

However I don't. And you know why?

Lol. I've convinced myself that if I fall asleep with the fan on, it'll catch on fire and I'll die.

What things are you scared of for no reason? :D

Kyuuketsuki
22nd November 2009, 05:37 AM
I'm always scared of handeling knives, I tend to swing my arms arouond a lot and I think I might kill people.

Telume
22nd November 2009, 05:39 AM
Jumps of any kind, big or small. I hate doing the because I think I'll screw up and hurt myself.

shazza
22nd November 2009, 06:05 AM
I'm scared of mice, although I don't think that as weird as your fan fear.

I guess most of my fears go back to social anxiety; like, I have fears of doing practical tasks which I don't have much practice at and childhood memories of fucking it up. Such as using nails or constructing shit like beds and desks; or even climbing fences or trying to open a fence that is complicated, then I fear I'll fail, so I panic, and I hence fail - it's a vicious cycle.

I think I'm delving too much into my subconscious here.

PancaKe
22nd November 2009, 06:09 AM
Yep too much :D just kidding!

I used to be scared to post in misc. I was 12 at the time and just didn't know what to say.

I used to be scared to talk to people here as well because they were always so much "bigger" (in terms of status, personality etc) but ah. that was a while ago now

Heald
22nd November 2009, 06:36 AM
I'm scared of my friends' parents. Seriously. Mainly because the first time they meet me, I'm usually very drunk, and when I'm very drunk I can be very offensive. So next time when I meet them sober, I'm usually like 'Uh, did I do anything dumb when I was drunk?'.

PancaKe
22nd November 2009, 06:41 AM
How come you meet them when your drunk?

Heald
22nd November 2009, 06:45 AM
Because I'm, like, always drunk.

Hello? Alcoholic here?

PancaKe
22nd November 2009, 06:47 AM
Oh okay. :) I just had images of them opening their door at midnight and finding you on the front steps, or stumbling over the gate :)

ah i miss england

Master Rudy
22nd November 2009, 07:36 AM
Because I'm, like, always drunk.

Hello? Alcoholic here?

Heh.....Heald should change his user title to either "Alcoholic God" or "The Drunken One" :lol:

For me it's bats. I know the fuckers won't hurt me if I don't bother them but still......bat in my house is reason to panic for me :-/

Bear
22nd November 2009, 07:41 AM
I'm afraid to attempt a flip off the diving board lol.

I'm also afraid of large, uncovered spaces (fields, etc) at night time. I think the latter comes from my reading of the Hound of the Baskervilles when I was young, and the expansive moor that the Hound would run across on his way to the manor. I dunno, something about being in the middle of an open area with no cover or protection at night scares the shit out of me. Most people are scared of the forest at night, but I'd rather be there than an open field.

Heald
22nd November 2009, 07:41 AM
Oh okay. :) I just had images of them opening their door at midnight and finding you on the front steps, or stumbling over the gate :)
Those images are not...entirely incorrect.

shazza
22nd November 2009, 07:42 AM
Fuck that, Master Rudy! If I had a bat in my house, I would freak the fuck out. They're like mice with wings.

[Kimmi]™
22nd November 2009, 08:09 AM
Escalators. I got my pant leg caught in one when I was younger (it was the 90s, bellbottoms were in style, etc.) and now I freak out at even the thought of having to take one.

Telume
22nd November 2009, 01:23 PM
I'm afraid to attempt a flip off the diving board lol.

I'm also afraid of large, uncovered spaces (fields, etc) at night time. I think the latter comes from my reading of the Hound of the Baskervilles when I was young, and the expansive moor that the Hound would run across on his way to the manor. I dunno, something about being in the middle of an open area with no cover or protection at night scares the shit out of me. Most people are scared of the forest at night, but I'd rather be there than an open field.

I'm deathly afraid of Deep water too, I can never go past the 5 foot marker in a pool D:

Blademaster
22nd November 2009, 01:45 PM
Looking at maps of big, empty places. The Pacific Ocean, the Australian desert, ANYTHING in Antarctica, outer space... They remind me of how small and insignificant I am. And since humans are innately inclined to think they're on top and in charge of everything, that terrifies me.

Heald
22nd November 2009, 01:58 PM
I was thinking of something similar last night Blade, albeit on a far greater scale.

Our universe began with the Big Bang, right? Well, who says ours is the only universe out there? I'm not talking about parallel universes or whatever, but imagine if literally trillions and trillions of light years away, in fact, trillions doesn't even do it justice. You can't even comprehend the magnitude of the number I am talking about, no living thing can, but what if there another universe that began in a similar way (i.e. from a Big Bang or whatever) but it is so far away that we will never, ever know about it. Imagine if you got a piece of string the length of our Solar System and at one end you put a pea at one end and another pea at the other end, each pea representing a scale model of each universe, the string would still be nowhere long enough to accurately represent the sheer distance between the two universes.

And there's probably not just two. There's probably thousands more.

I know this isn't groundbreaking or new or whatever, but just something I spent a while thinking about last night.

Houndoom_Lover
22nd November 2009, 02:22 PM
Escalators- I had no reason. Fucking moving stairs. Damn them.

Redfire313
22nd November 2009, 03:08 PM

ah i miss england

I'm living in England right now!!!!!!

Lets see...scared. Well, I hate horror movies, but I don't think that counts...AH HA!!!

Needles. Not the sewing kind. The stabbing kind. I freak out just thinking about them. -shutter-

Telume
22nd November 2009, 03:57 PM
I was thinking of something similar last night Blade, albeit on a far greater scale.

Our universe began with the Big Bang, right? Well, who says ours is the only universe out there? I'm not talking about parallel universes or whatever, but imagine if literally trillions and trillions of light years away, in fact, trillions doesn't even do it justice. You can't even comprehend the magnitude of the number I am talking about, no living thing can, but what if there another universe that began in a similar way (i.e. from a Big Bang or whatever) but it is so far away that we will never, ever know about it. Imagine if you got a piece of string the length of our Solar System and at one end you put a pea at one end and another pea at the other end, each pea representing a scale model of each universe, the string would still be nowhere long enough to accurately represent the sheer distance between the two universes.

And there's probably not just two. There's probably thousands more.

I know this isn't groundbreaking or new or whatever, but just something I spent a while thinking about last night.

Scary thing is that could actually be a bona fide scientific theory, if it hasn't been thought up yet then the science has failed us!

I'm living in England right now!!!!!!

Lets see...scared. Well, I hate horror movies, but I don't think that counts...AH HA!!!

Needles. Not the sewing kind. The stabbing kind. I freak out just thinking about them. -shutter-

None of the scary movies coming out now are really scary. But they do make good entertainment when you and some friends are bored!

Heald
22nd November 2009, 04:07 PM
Scary thing is that could actually be a bona fide scientific theory, if it hasn't been thought up yet then the science has failed us!
I looked it up. Multiverses are an old theory and I didn't really delve into it too much, but most of the theories agreed that it would be virtually impossible to detect any universes outside our own.

PancaKe
22nd November 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm terrified to play shoulder-wars in the pool, because I'm convinced that i'll fall off someone's shoulders, fall back and smash my head open on the edge of the pool.

Kurosakura
22nd November 2009, 05:19 PM
The dark and being alone. Especially it's dark AND I'm alone. I get so jumpy in the middle of the night when I go downstairs to get a bottle of water, and whenever I make the way back up the stairs, I always see the dark void that is my living room and make a mad dash up the stairs.

Telume
22nd November 2009, 05:20 PM
The dark and being alone. Especially it's dark AND I'm alone. I get so jumpy in the middle of the night when I go downstairs to get a bottle of water, and whenever I make the way back up the stairs, I always see the dark void that is my living room and make a mad dash up the stairs.

That's actually not very silly, especially when you've gone through such an event such as your parents splitting up.

Kurosakura
22nd November 2009, 05:23 PM
Well, my parents haven't split up (yet), and they don't fight as much anymore, so I find this fear of mine baseless and annoying.

Telume
22nd November 2009, 05:28 PM
Well, my parents haven't split up (yet), and they don't fight as much anymore, so I find this fear of mine baseless and annoying.

Ever since my parents split up I always have a panic attack (or something in places when I'm alone.) Thankfully I went to the doctor and they've lowered in intensity from when I started having them.

Hopefully when I go to him again I can completely get rid of them.

EDIT: The split up is fairly recent too. They only just split up about 2 months ago.

MToolen
23rd November 2009, 07:51 AM
Let's see...

Watching someone take intravenous drugs, live or on TV. I have somewhat of an overactive imagination that invites me to feel what that would be like. My fiancée is sweet enough to watch for me and tell me when it's done.

Standing on railings next to big expanses or drops. I know I won't, but there's always that chance that I'll get the stupid idea to jump.

Anything touching my wrists. I don't care how dull it is, I don't want to be cut there.

Zombies. I had nightmares after Dawn of the Dead. Heck, I had nightmares after Shawn of the Dead.

Stinging insects. To a point where I'll stop a conversation mid-sentence, lock eyes with the bee/wasp/what have you and slowly walk away.

Jeff
23rd November 2009, 08:02 AM
Stinging insects. To a point where I'll stop a conversation mid-sentence, lock eyes with the bee/wasp/what have you and slowly walk away.

Same here!

If I'm ever eating outside and there are yellow jackets around, I have to keep constantly checking my drink to make sure one didn't crawl in. Even if I'm drinking out of a clear bottle, I always look at the mouth of it just before drinking, just in case.

Bear
23rd November 2009, 08:14 AM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that one too. Stinging insects scare the shit out of me too, but it's their buzzing sound that makes me panic. Actually being stung isn't that terrible, but if I hear one around my head and I can't see it I tuck and roll like a private in Nam

Number1ChanseyFan
23rd November 2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, you 3 that posted right before sound like a combination of how I am around bees/hornets/wasps. They are definitely my worst phobia. You are right Bear, the sting doesn't really hurt all that badly, but still I just hate pretty much everything about them, the buzzing sound, and just how ugly they are. I don't even like picking up dead ones to throw them out. I hate how they bring out the worst in me, because most people can just ignore. It was especially embarrassing when I went to a minor league baseball game on a September afternoon this year. Most people just didn't care and I am kinda acting like an idiot lol

Telume
23rd November 2009, 03:11 PM
Let's see...

Zombies. I had nightmares after Dawn of the Dead. Heck, I had nightmares after Shawn of the Dead.

I had nightmares after Alien Ressurection, but this was back when I was still a little kid.

Blademaster
23rd November 2009, 03:22 PM
Oh, who DIDN'T have nightmares about that movie when they were younger? The humanoid Xenomorph is nightmare-fueling enough, but then to see AND hear it get killed by being sucked out a hole the size of a golf ball from the inside out? Nobody who saw that got any sleep that night.

Telume
23rd November 2009, 03:24 PM
Oh, who DIDN'T have nightmares about that movie when they were younger? The humanoid Xenomorph is nightmare-fueling enough, but then to see AND hear it get killed by being sucked out a hole the size of a golf ball from the inside out? Nobody who saw that got any sleep that night.

I can't even imagine seeing it uncut, seeing all those guys inside the escape pod slaughtered.

I think the most nightmare inducing scene was when the guy's head got popped. My mom almost barfed at that.

DarkestLight
23rd November 2009, 05:07 PM
Fuck that, Master Rudy! If I had a bat in my house, I would freak the fuck out. They're like mice with wings.

I'm not scared of bats at all, but I'd be having to take a 2x4 to a bats face if one flew in my place. That's not cool. They can be all sorts of sneaky and shit.

Naa, I'm...

well no... hating something is not being scared of it. so that example does not work. I guess the last time I was scared of something was when I used to have to go down to a boiler room for supplies. I was kinda freaked out I'd see some hobo ass half burned dude who'd throw me in said furnace and shit. The job was really bizarre.

PancaKe
23rd November 2009, 06:14 PM
I had nightmares after Alien Ressurection, but this was back when I was still a little kid.

I was so terrified of the Ring I had to sleep with the light on for a week

Weasel Overlord
23rd November 2009, 07:36 PM
Haha I've got a random one. I'm afraid of walking next to lorries, cos I have an irrational fear that they'll fall over onto me. D:

Also: bees and wasps and the like. My pain threshold is VERY LOW (I almost fainted when I had my ears pierced, lol, how lame am I?) and since I've never been stung, it's a fear of the unknown I guess.

I get panic attacks around needles - the last time being a month ago, when I had an implant in my arm, and I hyperventilated so much and then proceeded to projectile vom all over the nurse's office. >< And on some children's drawings. Oh dear.

Horror films I cannot watch (I'm shocked I can even play Resident Evil, actually), cos of the nightmares, and just those horrible thoughts you get when you're lying in bed at night, in the dark. I mean, I had a total freak-out after watching the Doctor Who episode Blink, and those freaking horrible stone angels. Brr.

Bear
23rd November 2009, 08:59 PM
The only horror movies that ever scared me were Candyman (when I was real little) and the Halloween movies. Once I got older though I realized all horror movies follow the same formula and they aren't scary if you plug your ears XD.

Know what movie freaked me out though? The Birds. I was afraid to even go outside after that...

Kurosakura
23rd November 2009, 09:19 PM
I saw The Birds in 7th grade as part of the school curriculum. It was freaky, but not plausible. But if I saw it when I was really young... well, I'd lock myself up and stay away from all windows.

Kyuuketsuki
23rd November 2009, 09:24 PM
Never saw the Birds or heard of it... I never got scared by any horror movie.

Houndoom_Lover
23rd November 2009, 09:31 PM
Independence Day gave me nightmares for years. :0

Unbraced
23rd November 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm always scared the zombie apocalypse we come

totally serious

I blame zombieland

Drago
23rd November 2009, 11:18 PM
Heights. Really hate them. Though I guess that's not really silly, all things considered. Silly things... hmm... I really hate people swinging things around. I'm always worried they're going to hit me in the eye or knock my teeth out.

abunaidesu
23rd November 2009, 11:55 PM
Public speaking is my worst fear.

And I've seen much worse in my life.

Telume
24th November 2009, 12:25 AM
Anyone freaked out by spiders?

PancaKe
24th November 2009, 05:37 AM
Yes but that's not a silly thing to be scared of!

Pichu Luver
24th November 2009, 12:35 PM
Earwigs. GAH! Hate those things.Tiny creepy-crawly with pincers. *shudder* And continuing the deep water theme, I rather dislike the idea of swimming in the open ocean. Thousand plus feet below you and you have no idea whats down there. ¬¬''' Finishing with a very irrational one, dentists. I'm not kidding and it's absolutely stupid, but I stress about it and hope it's over asap when I'm there. --'''

Telume
24th November 2009, 01:40 PM
The Sewers of the Imperial City level in the N64 Shadows of the Empire game. God damn those Diagonas sent chills down my spine (especially when they cried). And when I saw the boss was a big Diagona I almost shit my pants.

RedStarWarrior
24th November 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm scared that they'll find the body.

MToolen
24th November 2009, 04:21 PM
The Sewers of the Imperial City level in the N64 Shadows of the Empire game. God damn those Diagonas sent chills down my spine (especially when they cried). And when I saw the boss was a big Diagona I almost shit my pants.

Yes. Diagnoas were in a level in the early PC shooter Star Wars: Dark Forces as well, and they freaked me out then, too. I basically cheat coded past that level. Like every time.

Telume
24th November 2009, 05:42 PM
Yes. Diagnoas were in a level in the early PC shooter Star Wars: Dark Forces as well, and they freaked me out then, too. I basically cheat coded past that level. Like every time.

I'm so damn freaked out by Diagonas that by the time I finish the level (EVEN NOW) I'm trembling because I'm so damn scared. I don't know why, Diagonas freak me out.

Drago
24th November 2009, 07:04 PM
Haa, that reminds me of some of my really lame video game fears. Namely, Unagi the eel in Mario 64 and the shark in Banjo-Kazooie. I just really hated underwater bad guys... Just like how I hated having to run past the t-rex in the Sega Genesis Jurassic Park game.
Those are a little bit more silly. :P

ChobiChibi
24th November 2009, 07:31 PM
Jellyfish. Just because. They're all wriggly and stingy. I won't even walk near dead ones on a beach D:

Needles. I faint at the sight of them. I've thrown up too ^^;

Balloons. I hate the explosions. When I was a kid, I couldn't even be near one, but now I'm better. If I see a kid hugging a balloon, I still flinch...

Fireworks. Again, boom. Not as bad anymore, but get really jumpy if they've overhead.

Going too fast on a bike down a hill...

Rollercoasters...

DarkestLight
24th November 2009, 08:26 PM
Just like how I hated having to run past the t-rex in the Sega Genesis Jurassic Park game.

THERE WAS NOTHING SILLY ABOUT THAT! I HATE that part. I hate having to turn on the switches, I hate having to outsail him out the waterfall and I DEFINITLY HATE HAVING TO OUTSAIL HIM AT THE END OF JP2 Rampage Edition.

The Raptor game was never as hard.

Hell, even Lost World, that horrible Horrible HORRIBLE Game for Sega Saturn, still scared the bejeezus out of me when I knew a T-rex was on my azz. Completely terrifying.

Lost World for Saturn=Horrible, btw.

PancaKe
24th November 2009, 09:53 PM
Crash Bandicoot gave my little brother nightmares :D

Telume
24th November 2009, 10:16 PM
Haa, that reminds me of some of my really lame video game fears. Namely, Unagi the eel in Mario 64 and the shark in Banjo-Kazooie. I just really hated underwater bad guys... Just like how I hated having to run past the t-rex in the Sega Genesis Jurassic Park game.

Lol, the eel, I wasn't scared of it I just hated having to get the Star off the end of its tail, one touch and hit hit you for like 3 bars of life.

DivineAll
24th November 2009, 11:07 PM
Eating too fast that I'll choke... ridiculuous yet the reasoning is somewhat plausible.

Falling... I had a bad experience in my childhood involving a carnival ride that went really high up off the ground and I've been afraid that I'll fall and really hurt myself ever since.

Various nightmares... I've had some nightmares from when I was younger that I still remember to this day. However, I don't dream I much I used to and when I do so, the dreams are really crazy and ludicrous, even by standard dream standards...

That a girl wouldn't like me back... *sigh* I remember back in middle school I had a crush on a girl who attended some of my classes but I never told her how I felt about her because I was afraid she wouldn't like me back the same way. To this day, I regret never having told her how I felt about her... :(

MToolen
24th November 2009, 11:59 PM
xkcd just reminded me of another video game phobia: the freaking snowman monster from SkiFree, back on Windows 3.1. Gosh, that thing made me jump.

mr_pikachu
25th November 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm scared of heights -- if I'm on the third story of a building or higher, my stomach turns from just looking out the window. Sometimes I envision myself somehow slipping and staggering through a window and over the edge. When I'm descending the stairs in the parking garages on campus, I'll occasionally ponder whether I would die from falling headfirst or feetfirst from various heights.

Bugs also completely freak me, although I'm not sure that's a "fear" so much as I don't like the tactile or auditory sensation of them flitting around me. As such, I hate small bugs much more than large ones. Large bugs are easy to kill. Gnats are the devil's minions.

I'm scared of my teeth randomly falling out. Oh, and of being slowly lowered into a wood chipper feetfirst so that I feel as much pain as possible as I'm being shredded to death. (When I think about that scenario, sometimes I wonder if it would be worse to be briefly pulled away, given that momentary "reprieve" as the bottom half of my body oozes blood, then lowered back into the death machine.) Actually, any form of death that would be really slow scares me. Drowning, falling from an obscene height, burning, starving, and so forth. On the other hand, a "surprise" death (e.g. gunshot to the back of the head) would suck just as much in the long run.

Telume
25th November 2009, 01:22 AM
I'm scared of my teeth randomly falling out. Oh, and of being slowly lowered into a wood chipper feetfirst so that I feel as much pain as possible as I'm being shredded to death. (When I think about that scenario, sometimes I wonder if it would be worse to be briefly pulled away, given that momentary "reprieve" as the bottom half of my body oozes blood, then lowered back into the death machine.) Actually, any form of death that would be really slow scares me. Drowning, falling from an obscene height, burning, starving, and so forth. On the other hand, a "surprise" death (e.g. gunshot to the back of the head) would suck just as much in the long run.

You'd be surprised how many people are actually afraid of death but the fact of the matter is, it's a part of our lives. No matter how much we try to avoid it, it's always there. I personally wouldn't like to be immortal, it would actually be rather boring. Just like being super rich wouldn't satisfy someone completely, it would be a case of "okay I have this but since I've already seen so much/have so much, now what do I do?"

And fearing death IMO is something that's not so silly.

Greyfox
25th November 2009, 01:32 AM
Crowds. Large groups of people make me very uncomfortable. I never go out because of it, and I can rarely go to concerts anymore because the fear of being engulfed in a large mass. I have bad anxiety too.

It's a shame. The only bands I can ever see are ones that are not very popular (like Anathallo in Jacksonville). I missed Elton John coming to Tally for this reason. But I find that if I really, really must see a band, I hafta remain fixated on them and I hafta be in the front row... 'else I just get terrified.

mr_pikachu
25th November 2009, 01:33 AM
And fearing death IMO is something that's not so silly.

Yes, you're right. The point was more that I specifically fear death by wood chipper (and, on a side note, frequently wish it upon others). What are the odds that I'll die via wood chipper? Considering that I've never even seen one in person, probably slim to none.

Venuskazam714
1st December 2009, 01:54 PM
spiders.. wow i miss this forum.. the good ol days. havent been here in a while

toucheiruka
3rd December 2009, 06:29 PM
I have a few....

Heights and falling of places go hand in hand to me, how about you go out to the middle of the damn ocean and you are on the flight deck of my ship, and there is no barriers at the end of the flight deck, so if you get blown off by a jet, you are on your own, which is why I never go up there......it's a damn good think I'm a cook.

and another fear I have is ironically, the ocean, if my ship goes down, or I get blown off, I have thousands of feet of ocean that only god knows what is down there, and I don't want to find out.

shazza
4th December 2009, 08:29 AM
I fear rejection. :cry: