PDA

View Full Version : Concerts/Festivals

Andrew
24th November 2009, 06:39 AM
I'm a bit of a concert/festival fiend. I have a corkboard with a variety of different stubs I've kept from various things I've gone to over the years.

I'll start with a couple ones I enjoyed -

1) Daft Punk. Held at the Riverstage, hearing Daft Punk live was an experience I shall savour for a long time. If you ever get the chance, see them. Fantastic music, great crowd and an awesome Pyramid and light up jackets.

2) Scissor Sisters. Again at the Riverstage. I was absolutely drunk, made a ton of new random friends, had a fantastic time and heard some great music.

3) Splendour in the Grass. This two-day festival was greatly helped by me trying some "recreational activities". Had a great time with MSTRKRFT, New Young Pony Club but most of all The Presets.

And ones I didn't like so much

4) Gwen Stefani - Rod Lavier Arena in Melbourne. I was drunk, but being confined to a seat and surrounded by 12 year old girls made me feel awkward. Those girls were also total bitches.

5) Splendour in the Grass. The crowds made this at times unbareable. Pushing shoving, bogans, angry security. I had a yell at this bitch who kept shoving into me before harrassing me, hitting me and blaming me for the entire crowd. Oh, and DEVO was terrible. It's like your dad trying to be cool.

PancaKe
24th November 2009, 06:48 AM
The worst ones are always local emo bands who think they are really great because they have only ever listened to Parkway Drive but yet want to be the next big thing. Blah.

Best concerts ever?

1 ~ Opeth last night. Probably best because even though I was in 2nd standing section, they sounded fantastic and I got to hold Soongs hand for most of it :D

2 ~ Iron Maiden 2008 - They put on a good show

3 ~ Funeral for a Friend 2005 - first time I saw them ever. I almost fell over I was so excited. THEN I GOT TO MEET THEM <3

And Ive got Soundwave to look forward to. Yay in the next four months Ill have seen three of my favourite bands. Faith no more <3

shazza
24th November 2009, 08:12 AM
I've been to a fair few now, which is hard to believe because only a couple years ago I was a concert virgin.

1) Soundwave 2008: I really enjoyed this one, and I think it was my first one -- although for some reason, my memory escapes me to be certain. Killswitch Engage were absolutely amazing; I also went into my first mosh pit with Still Remains, and I lost a shoe. I had to walk around the rest of the day/night with just one shoe, but I ended up just putting the other shoe in my friends bag.

2) Bullet for my Valentine concert in May 2008: It was pretty good. Just a little extra information: I was meant to go to Bullet in September 2007. however I drank a bottle of 700ml Jack Daniels in an hour. I think if I hadn't vomited, I would have probably had to have my stomach pumped. Needless to say, I never made it to the concert and passed out on the couch.

The other two bands were Atreyu and Avenged Sevenfold: Atreyu were alright, and Avenged Sevenfold I'm not really a fan. The best part about them was they started playing an ACDC song; the crowd went nuts, but A7X were like "nah sorry fuckin cunts we only play our own songs lolol :P"

3) Pyramid Rock 2008/2009: Magical, simply magical. It ignited my appreciation for Aussie hip-hop, for starters: Drapht, The Herd, Funkoars, Pez. The Scientists of Modern Music were amazing, as I lit up a few joints in a tent with my friend as they played until 3am. The next night (New Years Eve) I had my first ever ecstasy pill and it started to kick in Birds of Tokyo; followed by Midnight Juggernauts, The Black Keys (as it struck midnight), Cut Copy and Lady Hawke. Insane night was insane. One of my best memories of my life, I feel.

4) Soundwave 2009: I didn't like it as much as 2008, but still had a blast. In Flames were by far the best. Soundwave 2010 looks pretty good, with HIM, Placebo, Trivium, Faith No More etc.

5) Groovin the Moo 2009: It was held in Bendigo. Had some cool bands like Art vs Science, Hilltop Hoods, Miami Horror, Muscles.

6) Hilltop Hoods 2009: I went to this last week. Saw them in Groovin the Moo in May, but it was alright. I prefer The Herd or Drapht when it comes to Australian hip hop, though.

I can't help but feeling I've forgotten something. Weird.

Gavin Luper
24th November 2009, 09:35 AM
I had a long post typed out for this. I even Ctrl + V'd it in case the forum logged me out. It did. I logged back in. And then I fucking Ctrl + V'd a segment of the LTL chapter I'm working on to show Cadmus, and WIPED THE POST OUT FOREVER. FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Summary: Guns 'n' Roses, Sebastian Bach, Def Leppard, Cheap Trick, Bon Jovi and The Verses are among the best concerts I've been to.

*mourns the post he has lost forever*

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
24th November 2009, 12:31 PM
I was only to a single concert in my life, Bryan Adams sometime in the mid 90s. It was okay but way too loud. I won't go to any concerts in the future either, all the groups and singers I like have already quit or aren't doing concerts anymore.

Drusilla
24th November 2009, 05:25 PM
One of the best shows I've ever been to was KMFDM with Angelspit last month. My ears rang for two days afterwards, and I had to work the next day after driving back from Minneapolis by myself... but it was totally worth it. I even got to meet Angelspit after their set. They're from Sydney, so they don't tour the US very often.

Other than that, there was Wednesday 13 with Creature Feature and AntiProduct back in '07 (W13 always puts on a good show, but this one was one of his best), Ozzfest 2004, Steve Miller Band in 2005, and Buzzfest 11 in 2003 with headliner Godsmack (not too into them anymore, but they're awesome live). Those are probably the best shows I've been to that I can recall right now. I'm sure I'll think of something later...

MToolen
24th November 2009, 06:02 PM
I've gone to concerts for Blue Man Group and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I can't say I regretted either one. I wish I had time to go see a professional orchestra or symphony. I hear stories all the time about how wonderful the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is but oh well.

PancaKe
24th November 2009, 10:00 PM
Ahhh Tran-Siberian Orchestra, if they're who I think they are then they're aWESOMEE

Telume
24th November 2009, 10:19 PM
Ahhh Tran-Siberian Orchestra, if they're who I think they are then they're aWESOMEE

They have a concert regularly here in Florida at the BankAtlantic Center up in Ft. Lauderdale, I'm going to the show this year. I hope.

Number1ChanseyFan
25th November 2009, 10:08 AM
My dad is a pretty big fan of TransSiberian Orchestra, he usually goes to see it every year. Personally my favorite concert was last year when Reba McEntire and Kelly Clarkson got together. It was pretty awesome, plus they even had Melissa Peterman with them, and she did several stand up comedy routines throughout the concert.

MToolen
25th November 2009, 02:17 PM
Yeah, my in-laws-to-be got tickets for them and us for my birthday; it's the same day as Tuba Christmas (http://www.tubachristmas.com), which is going to be fun if I'm in the Christmas mood by then.

Andrew
25th November 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm going to buy tickets to Lady GaGa today :o