PDA

View Full Version : Poll: The kids table

Jeff
26th November 2009, 09:11 PM
This one was inspired by a recent IRC conversation.

This is the time of the year when a lot of family gatherings are held, and usually there isn't enough room at one table, so everyone gets split between the "adults table" and the "kids table".

-So, at family gatherings, do you end up sitting at the kids table?
-What's the cutoff in your family for sitting at the adults table?
-Any crazy things happen at the kids table at your family gatherings?

In my dad's family, I don't ever remember sitting at the adults table. The cutoff there was by generation. My grandparents and the generation below them had the adults table, the rest of us had the kids table, which led to the oddity of my cousin sitting at the kids table... along with her husband and kids.

At my mom's family, I have occasionally sat at the adults table. The cutoff there is the oldest people who are all able to fit at the adults table sit there, and the rest get split between the "young adults table" and the kids table. So it depends on how many people come.

Now, the most infamous incident I can remember happening at the kids table happened at Thanksgiving at my mom's side of the family several years ago. This was before we had the young adults table, and my brother, who was pretty immature back then, decided it would be funny to put corn into everyone's drinks. Then he started holding butter in his hand and throwing it, and it only got worse from there. We still make references to that incident to this day.

Kurosakura
27th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Seeing as I'm one of TPM's younger members, I still sit at the "kids" table with my younger brother and plethora of cousins of varying ages. My oldest cousin is 31, and he's the only one who sits at the "adults" table.

Master of Paradox
28th November 2009, 08:49 PM
I believe I was about thirteen to fifteen (my memory is terrible) when they upgraded me from the kid's table to the adult table.

These days, they don't use a kid's table on my dad's side of the family, since the youngest is in the "teenage" range. On my mother's side, they never used a kid's table.

Lady Vulpix
28th November 2009, 09:03 PM
I sit at the 'kids' table when we all gather at my grandparents' house. The youngest on that table is 19 years old. Both tables are pushed together, though, so it's as if it were just one long table.

abunaidesu
30th November 2009, 06:55 PM
1. No.
2. Depends on that persons maturity.
3. No. My family are a bunch of pretentious, rich retards.