PDA

View Full Version : Near Year's Resolutions

shazza
27th November 2009, 12:20 AM
Another year is almost over, and indeed a whole decade, and as such it is a perfect time to start making some resolutions. Statistics show that the majority of those that make New Years Resolutions are destined to failure, however that just makes me more determined to succeed and go against the trend; knowing that I'm in the minority that I've succeeded is just that little bit nicer.

I didn't really buy into New Years Resolutions until the end of 2007: my resolution for 2008 was to lose weight. I did that through exercise and diet and ended up losing 28kg - I was very proud of myself. My resolution for 2008 was to build muscle and tone up, however this did not occur, but I feel I accomplished something more achievable, and it was probably needed before I do shit like that: I rediscovered myself.

To keep a long story short, 2009 for me has been an experience of enlightenment, frightening, epiphany after epiphany about myself and I've discovered once again who I am and what I am capable of, as opposed to what I'm not capable of. I once again see the glass as half full, rather than half empty. I don't think I've had this feeling since the death of my mother in 2001/when I started becoming a teenager.

So what's in store for 2010? I plan to actually build muscle now, which I'm in the process of doing. And I plan to use what I've learnt in 2009 about myself and make it applicable in 2010 where I become confident in whatever I path I pursue. The future is extremely scary for me sometimes, but with the right mindset, I know I can do something good for this world.

What are your New Years Resolutions in the past? Have you succeeded? And what do you have in store for 2010?

Telume
27th November 2009, 01:30 AM
Actually, you're half-right. Yes people who make resolutions are destined to failure but that's because most people do it wrong. IF you do on the day on or before new year's eve it's going to fail because you're not going to get around it, but. If you start on it early, the resolution may just be successful.

Another thing you may want to avoid is actively making it. You can't just say you will, that makes it less likely you will. You have to DO it, in other words don't think about it, just do it. And the earlier you start, the better things may be :P.

Magmar
27th November 2009, 10:15 AM
Telume, that was some kickass advice there.

I resolved every year to lose weight and to one day weigh less than 150 lbs because seriously I haven't weighed that little in over 12 years. It was a really tough goal because I already have some muscle mass especially in my legs since I run. So time after time I failed. Well leave it to catching strep throat and then swine flu back to back to finally help me lose the extra weight.

That's right, after 12 years of killing myself over it, I weighed myself in at 148.6, and that was a month ago. I'm at 149 right now (and honestly when I weigh less than this my face looks thin) which means that this is a good weight to maintain myself at :) and I'm keeping on it, too. Thanksgiving I'm sure fucked it up a little but I'll make up for it by going running the next time it's not raining. (Really wanted to run this morning, but alas, monsoon.) I've weighed as much as 192 so this is a big deal for me. 148 for me is a 29" waist size, so yes, this is skinny.

Twelve fucking years man... that's a lot of crunches (and Crunch bars) I also came from a family where both of my parents, my sister and my brother were all very skinny, and even talked of sending me to fat camp and had me watch videos about it :(

Telume
27th November 2009, 02:52 PM
Your mind is a powerful thing, it can make you a lazy fuck and the next Usain Bolt.

Drusilla
27th November 2009, 03:15 PM
Hmmm... I never do New Years Resolutions, mostly because I'm undisciplined and lazy. This year, though, I'm going to aim to put some money into savings every paycheck. I was supposed to have done this already, but I went to a concert in Minneapolis instead. Oops.

Hopefully, I'll be working closer to full time next semester, so I'll have a little more money coming in. Couple that with an imminent raise or promotion, and I should be good. I don't really spend all that much money, I just splurge in great abundance every once in a while.

I also want to stay ahead of my classes next semester. I was doing really well, then lost it about halfway through.

Asilynne
27th November 2009, 03:27 PM
Last year my new years resolution was to pay off my debt, get a car, and get a better job. Ive managed to make all of them happen (although by better job I was hoping something besides having two jobs but the result is the same, Im just more tired XD)

This year my resolution is to a certified as a Vet Tech, get a job in that field and start going to college again part time while Im working. Also get my own apt (NOT in this shitty city Im in now XD) start taking violin lessons, and while it isnt exactly a resolution Im also going to go on a nice vacation :D

DivineAll
27th November 2009, 04:56 PM
I've only had one New Year's Resolution so far that I've actually accomplished and am still doing to this day. Said Resolution is not to eat any chocolate for an entire month. Now this seems easy to any other person, but not me since I kinda consider myself a choco-holic. However, I managed to pull this Resolution off for two years through sheer resistance, constant reminders, and the motivation that I'll have an entire bar of my favorite dark chocolate to myself once the month is over. As you can guess, I'm sticking to that Resolution and the Resolution to write more in the FanFiction archive. Should be kinda easy since I need Ace Attorney Investigations to help me kinda continue Salem Judgment, but I digress.

Crystal Mew
27th November 2009, 08:14 PM
well according to lj, my resolutions for this year were:
read my Bible​ all the way throu​gh,​ get in shape​,​ read more books​,​ and to stop being​ such a jerk.

lol. lets see, I didn't read my Bible all the way through, didnt get in shape, I did read more books..and I dont know if I'm more of a jerk or not..

But 2009 has been a good year for me. Like you Shazza, its been very eye-opening to me, and I've had many epiphany's over the year its unreal. I think this is mostly due to my philosophy class, man that class changed my life. I'm so glad I took it, and I look at the world in a whole new way, its great :)

for next year, I want to pay off my debts, get into the university, get a better job...and try to keep my sanity, as I dont foresee next year being the greatest year ever

Katie
27th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Last year was to get back down to the weight I was at high school graduation. I've never been outside the 'normal' weight range but hey, teenage girls and their "omg I have to lose 5 lbs for prom even though 5 makes no visible difference" I'm now 3lbs under that, and I did it only after some shit went down midway through the year where someone basically made me feel completely worthless. Half for proof to them, half for myself, I lost weight and focused on my grades. I got straight As in summer school and set the goal of straight As for the fall semester, which is going according to plan wonderfully. I started a research project under a prof who is a huge expert in the field I want to go into, and I went back to work to make a lil money.

So, I basically made a summer resolution: Better myself. Started work during the school year, researched, lost weight (+new hairdo +started wearing makeup again, basically lookin hot), and my grades have shot up too? They always say "College: grades, social life, sleep: choose 2" and I've managed to nab them all with only a few compromises on social life and sleep. Successful resolution, I'd say. :)

This year I've already made my resolution. Another 2 semesters of straight As before I graduate next December. Due to retarded scheduling errors I'm splitting up my last semester of college into two part-timers, so I should be able to focus on each without too much overlap of study-days. If I'm successful I will graduate with a 3.5 GPA which is my ultimate resolution, hopefully good enough to get into a kickass grad program. :)

Good luck everyone!

Jeff
27th November 2009, 09:51 PM
My younger sister got engaged last year, so my mom started pressuring me to get a girlfriend, and she made that my new year's resolution.

Well, there's always next year.

Fett One
28th November 2009, 12:43 AM
I'm too lazy to follow through with a new year resolution, so I just don't bother making them.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
28th November 2009, 05:01 AM
I think I'll try and stop smoking.

Not.

DarkestLight
28th November 2009, 07:51 AM
Mine was to stay black and keep it real.

Did it.

Don't set goals you know you can't achieve. Not saying to not strive for more form yourself, but don't be like "I'm gonna win a 26.2 marathon" if you never even ran more than a mile before.

Resolutions to me are a way to build up to greatness. Yer supposed to only keep a resolution for a month before you make a new one to keep continually reminding you and pushing yourself.

Houndoom_Lover
28th November 2009, 01:06 PM
I can't seem to remember what my resolution was this year- there's a good chance I didn't make one :3

But this year, I shall-Hmmrhm.

Telume
28th November 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm already achieving what I set out to do, so why make something I know I probably will forget in 2 months time a goal?