PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

PancaKe
7th December 2009, 06:16 AM
Lol. It makes sense considering that there is one for music and one for TV.

Right now, well I was reading a story written by my best friend for National Novel Writing Month. However, he was short by 47000 words, thus I am now finished reading it. It was good while it lasted though.

In terms of books, I'm up to the fourth book of the Tomorrow series. EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ IT. Best read ever.

shazza
7th December 2009, 06:20 AM
I'm rading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, however I'm a very slow reader. I want to read so many books; I just wish I didn't have ADHD (self-diagnosis). :(

PancaKe
7th December 2009, 06:29 AM
Hitchhikers guide is awesome. But I kind of lost momentum wit the following books. Nothing really grabbed me and made me keep reading

shazza
7th December 2009, 06:40 AM
I got the book that has all the books, but I think I'm just going to stop with the first. I have the feeling that you're definitely right.

DivineAll
7th December 2009, 12:51 PM
I'm somewhat of a manga reader at the moment. I'd like to get back on track with reading actual factual books, novels, and whatnot, but not that much really interests me or catches my eye at the moment, that isn't school-related. I'm considering reading the Percy Jackson series of books because, from the movie trailer I saw, it could be interesting and it would be a somewhat of a nice break and change of pace from the Harry Potter series. The only book that I've read thoroughly from beginning to end somwehat recently was Too Loud A Solitude. Good novella, I recommend it to any lover of literature.

Zak
7th December 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm currently reading the new Dan Brown book, The Lost Symbol. I'm almost finished with it but probably won't be in a while due to having been busy with school. I got it back in September when it came out and it's been taking me this long... not because I'm a slow reader, just because school has been taking over my life.

Houndoom_Lover
7th December 2009, 01:04 PM
Nothing ._. What's wrong with me!! I need to go read something!

abunaidesu
7th December 2009, 03:37 PM
http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2009/12/14/091214fi_fiction_wallace

also reading about surrealism art for my art history class and pride and prejudice and zombies.

Houndoom_Lover
7th December 2009, 03:53 PM
Whoa, are we the same person? :L I'm reading about Francis Bacon, who could fall under Surrealism. He's tec. New Expressionism, but ya knows- That's a good book! I wanna read the new one. Aargh, what it is? With the Sea Monster?

Jeff
7th December 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm reading the forums right now.

Other than that, I don't really read that much.

The_Missing_Link
7th December 2009, 03:59 PM
Just finished "Summer Knight" by Jim Butcher (Dresden Files series) and I'll probably get the next one soon but I should really start on "Furies of Calderon". Boyfriend says it's good so I'll give it a try

Drusilla
7th December 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm reading book three (Grave Peril) of the Dresden Files! Pretty awesome that we're reading the same book series. =o

MToolen
7th December 2009, 05:36 PM
I just finished Donald Miller's new book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. Like most of his books, it's real life from a slightly spiritual perspective. He talks about story and the way it influences our lives; whether we're living a happy or sad story and what we can do about it (and what the Author, in turn, can do). One of the most surprising parts was his manner-of-fact autopsy of many medicine/cleaning product commercials:

1. Protagonist (probably female) is feeling miserable. Kids, if present, are causing mischief somehow.

2. PRODUCT is introduced. It's better than the leading brand, every time.

3. Protagonist, having used PRODUCT, is now contented and has a spouse. Kids, if present, are little angels, probably doing homework.

This presenting how society might twist our perception of story for its own means. But Donald Miller is a great author who writes about characters people care about--and it's because they really are people.

Telume
7th December 2009, 06:07 PM
My Dreamweaver CS4 book, AP Div Tags are my baaaaaane.

PNT510
7th December 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm currently reading Eldest the second book in the inheritance series. I'm really liking it. The problem is I don't have much time to read anymore with school. I read like 20 books this year but only 3 in the last 3 months.

Houndoom_Lover
7th December 2009, 08:55 PM
I have to read the third book of the Inheritance series....

Damn it! I need to find something to read. I'll prolly read me some Shaman King until break, buy the newest ones. And then read Muhyo & Roji and then buy the new ones.

Buy the Eoin's ending version of Hitchhiker's guide to see how I feel about it....

Maybe I'll read the Bible this winter's break? I have to finish it still...

Master Rudy
8th December 2009, 01:33 AM
I'm reading the forums right now.

Dammit.....Jeff beat me to it :-/

Haven't done overly heavy reading in quite some time. And by heavy reading I mean either a long ass series or one very long book. At various points in my spare time I've read a few smaller books. Earlier this year I finished the Legacy of the Force series and attempted to start the next nine book series (Fate of the Jedi). However due to working like a dog I barely got halfway done with FotJ: Outcast. In free moments I did read a few random Star Trek: TNG books here and there before starting Shatner's sequel series to Generations that has Kirk still alive following the events of that film. Right now I'm in the middle of the third book in the first trilogy but once again I haven't had time to keep up with it.

As of late I've been bigger on the spy genre. If anything at this point I may simply go back and re-read the first two books in the 24: Declassified prequel series since they tend to be fairly light reading. If I'm looking for something a little heavier then maybe I might try the Jason Bourne series since I've heard the novels are extremely different than the films.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
8th December 2009, 03:41 AM
I'm not reading that much, I have pretty much all works by Tolkien which I fancy a lot. Beside that I'm only reading novels based on the German pen and paper RPG The Dark Eye. And I have the Harry Potter books too. The last book I've read was Roverandom by Tolkien a few months ago. Didn't have the time to read much since then.

Weasel Overlord
8th December 2009, 11:42 AM
At the moment, I'm reading cookery books. And attempting to learn to cook, obviously. But for fun, I'm reading a terrible crack yaoi manga called Man's Best Friend, and Geisha in Rivalry, by Kafu Nagai. I finished Unseen Academicals by Pratchett the other day (it was great apart from the football, yuck), and I'm planning to start Two Towers (Tolkien) for about the fifth time when I get home, as well as getting around to finishing all my library books (mostly Lucifer graphic novels, with some Hellblazer and Fables dotted in and around).

Kyuuketsuki
8th December 2009, 12:03 PM
last thing i read, (Not on Internet), was The Hobbit.

Mr. Brightside
8th December 2009, 03:14 PM
I'm rading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, however I'm a very slow reader. I want to read so many books; I just wish I didn't have ADHD (self-diagnosis). :(

I really want to read this book. The movie was soo freaking weird, i totally love it. I never finished the game though. The old "writing stuff" game. Maybe some time in the future.

Hitchhikers guide is awesome. But I kind of lost momentum wit the following books. Nothing really grabbed me and made me keep reading

Wait there are other books as well?

Currently i am reading "The Peony Pavilion" a Chinese theatrical play/piece of literature which drives me nuts because i have to translate 50 pages from English to Greek and it is harder than it seemed to be. I am also reading the Pokemon manga and Tegami Bachi/Letter Bee.

I wish i had more time and money to get and read more books XD

Crystal Mew
8th December 2009, 04:59 PM
I just started reading Pride and Prejudice :)

Ayeun
8th December 2009, 05:19 PM
I just finished the Twilight saga for the 3rd time... Must be time to break out the Harry Potter books for their bajillionth read through.

DivineAll
8th December 2009, 05:40 PM
I just took a brief glimpse at the first book of the Percy Jackson series... The first chapter is almost hauntingly similar to the second chapter in the first Harry Potter book, except told in first-person and a whole bunch of other obvious stuff that separates it from Harry Potter itself. I'm definitely considering reading through it now.

Master Rudy
8th December 2009, 07:27 PM
I just finished the Twilight saga for the 3rd time... Must be time to break out the Harry Potter books for their bajillionth read through.

It's tradition for me to post this whenever Twilight comes up......

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/picture.php?groupid=20&pictureid=399

As always the question isn't "Is Blade going to win?" The question is "How is Blade going to fuck him up?" :lol:
ENJOY!!!!

Crystalmaster Mike
13th December 2009, 10:58 AM
I've got a little pile of libary books piled up on the closet at the moment. They are:
- Dinosaurus Canyon (picture the Da Vinci code with fossils, and fanservice - I know, weird for a book) (done)
- Pyramids, a Discword novel. Or how faraos deal with the string theory (done)
- Dexter in the dark, the only Dexter book available in the province. Food for the Dark Passenger we all carry in our convertible (done)
- Great Sky River, part 1 in the Mech wars series, so it appears. Somewhat written in the style of David Brin's books, it's post-apocalyptic scifi with a speck of horror mixed in (currently in progress)
- C.S. Lewis' Malacandra. After finishing the Narnia series, I thought I might try the 'In Space' variant the author wrote.
- Romanitas. The book promises the Roman Empire, 200X A.D., so I'm booked.

Books I wouldn't mind reading next include: Dune or Star Trek Wars pre/se/midquels, or the sequel to David Brin's Star reef (I think).
BTW, aside from Dexter and Malacandra, I'm reading Dutch translations. Not terribly authentic, but the entertainment factor prevails.

Fett One
13th December 2009, 12:53 PM
Currently, I'm reading Batman: Fear Itself. Once I finish reading that I have Star Wars: Death Star to read.

Clark
13th December 2009, 02:24 PM
Just picked up Letters on England by Voltaire yesterday while I was at the mall and dove into that while waiting to be seated.

PancaKe
14th December 2009, 05:49 PM
I am about to get the fourth book of the Tomorrow series. Oh sigh, I 'm so excited I can't wait. The thought of it makes me cry a little with happiness.

I also received so many books for my 21st and early Christmas presents. So I got Redeeming Love, which I plan to break open after Christmas, and a few books on studying the bible which should be helpful! :D

kazr
26th December 2009, 06:36 PM
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut and Feminism Is For Everybody by Bell Hooks. books books books books

abunaidesu
26th December 2009, 07:41 PM
The Economist (magazine) - Special Holiday Double Issue ^^

ryandude713
6th January 2010, 01:38 AM
I just finished reading a novel called Ten Storey Love Song, by Richard Milward. The book is written entirely as one paragraph, ad it focuses on a couple of people who live in the same apartment complex, and their interactions with each other.

Additionally, I'm reading Funny Misshapen Body, by Jeffrey Brown. It's a memoir done in comic-form.

Lastly, I'm reading How the Homosexuals Saved Civilization, by Cathy Crimmins. It's a sociological outlook on how gay men have shaped modern culture, and how many things that are associated with straight people were designed and pioneered by the homosexual culture.

Weasel Overlord
7th January 2010, 03:46 PM
I'm about halfway through A Study in Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes novel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, as well as The Two Towers, by Tolkien, obviously. ^_^

I've also got a new book coming in the post from amazon's amazing 1p selection. XD Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See, which looks extremely promising. I'm really looking forward to reading it, anyway.

And I've got a few others from the library to read; Talyn, by Holly Lisle, who I've adored since her Secret Texts series; and a collection of short stories by some guy I've never heard of before, and I can't see the title cos it's on my shelf far away.

Houndoom_Lover
8th January 2010, 10:24 PM
I just finished up reading Evermore :P A friend gifted it to me because of it's awful awfulness. It was all she said it would be.

GreenShirT
16th January 2010, 05:13 PM
With the film out I am back to reading The Picture of Dorian Gray. Its in my top 5 books :)
Need to get myself a Kindle though...