PDA

View Full Version : What does your name mean?

PancaKe
7th December 2009, 08:30 AM
Your name on TPM. We don't just choose these names by opening a dictionary and combining words together.

What names have you had since you registered? Why did you choose those names for yourself?

So when I first registered in 2001, I registered under the name Lavern. At the time it was because Lavern sounded like Lava and I liked fire pokemon.

Then I changed it to MistyDeeDee. My friend at school used that as her email address, but I liked it because Misty was my favourite character on pokemon, and thus stole it.

This got shortened to Mist, or MDD. I preferred Mist, so I just changed my name to Mist.

Then, about 2004, I went on camp and ended up sculling a litre of those shake-n-make pancake mix things. So I drank a litre of pancake mix. My other friend sculled a litre of Orange Juice and was called OJ, so I thought I'd call myself Pancake. Who knows why i wanted to capitalise the K. I think it was just for fun.

What about you guys?

Drusilla
7th December 2009, 09:28 AM
Oh, geez...

I believe I registered under the name Fire Trainer Bella. I was obsessed with the Redwall books at the time, and there was a badger named Bella in one of them.

I went through a number of name changes (how in the hell did we keep people straight back then?), most of which are long forgotten. Drusilla came along because someone in the TPM chat room thought I looked a little like Juliet Landau, who played Drusilla on the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Any resemblance is long gone, I think, but the name stuck.

Kurosakura
7th December 2009, 09:35 AM
Hm... I thought of this name back when I was still a closet "emo". Most people I knew thought of me as sweet, innocent, and incapable of suicide, and they had no idea what kind of hell I'd been through while growing up. Of course, I'm sure many others have gone through similar, if not, worse things than I have, but I'll spare everyone the gory details.

Kuro, in itself, means black, and Sakura means cherry blossom. Cherry blossoms are one of my favorite flowers, and I've always thought that they were pure and untainted; a symbol of what everyone thought of me, if you will. However, black is usually associated with negativity, decay, and death, something I wished upon myself on more than one occasion. And so, black cherry blossom/Kurosakura, a name made from two of the most widely known Japanese words around.

Telume
7th December 2009, 10:17 AM
I named myself after an Original Character. I wasn't too keen on the Gen IV pokemon, 'cept Gallade. As it so happens the character's half-Gallade half-Human. I had planned on putting up the pic I made of him on Facemaker as my avatar but, since I lost it I ditched the idea.

I've been using the name in a lot of online places since. As such my AIM name is pretty much his full name.

DarkestLight
7th December 2009, 10:18 AM
o.o My name is meant to be a condensing of a line from an old poem from YST-translated to Ronin Warriors. My fav warrior on that show was Date Seiji-and his armor was the Hailo Armor. The line that pertained to him was...

"The darkest prison sheds the light"

Hence, I just grabbed darkest and light and was like "O yay oxymoronical power....ACTIVATE" :D

DivineAll
7th December 2009, 10:31 AM
In real life, I'm not entirely sure whether or not there's a higher power out there since I seem to suffer a lot of misfortune and pain; physical, mental, and emotional, so I kinda want to prove that there is a higher power looking out for me, in a good way, hence the "Divine" part.

The "All" part comes from the fact that I want to do anything and everything that I can to others to make them happy, but in reality it doesn't seem to be the greatest case in the world, especially to my dad, so maybe in the Internet world, that might be the case.

Zak
7th December 2009, 12:54 PM
I think I originally registered under the name SCIZOR ROX THE HOUSE

If you translate that to make sense, it means that Scyther's evolution (which had just recently been given a name at the time) is so awesome that it makes the house shake. :)

Then SpinaZak238 after that got deleted, was just trying to combine a random Pokemon with my first name, and 238 to match my aim screenname which didn't mean anything. It was almost "Zakdos".

And now I jumped on the bandwagon with the trend of using your first name as your username, which over a dozen people on here did, and no one else had mine...

Jeff
7th December 2009, 01:10 PM
Jeff is obviously my real name. I registered as Jeff 02, the 02 being a reference to 2002, the year I graduated high school. When I was in high school, alot of people I knew used to put their graduation year in their AIM screennames, which I still do to this day.

Speaking of which, my AIM screenname, IslanderJeff02, refers to Kent Island, Maryland, which is where I live.

classy_cat18
7th December 2009, 01:36 PM
I had a bit of a phase that I thought Persian was cool, so that's where Classy Cat came from. Plus Mom says that I remind her of a cat sometimes. Then I was eighteen when I came to TPM so that took care of the rest.

Knight of Time
7th December 2009, 01:53 PM
I'm just going to explain my current username, I have been a serious fan of the Legend of Zelda games for years (the only ones I don't have are Four Swords Adventures, the CD-I games, and Spirit Tracks, but the lattermost one is out now so I might have it someday), in OoT, when Link becomes an adult, he comes to be known as the Hero of Time, so I took that, and changed it from "Hero of Time" to "Knight of Time". Heck, if I was feeling more creative, I could have been known as Knight of Winds (based on the hero title Link gets near the end of Wind Waker) or Knight of Twilight (that is, based on the unofficial nickname Link gets in Twilight Princess), lol.

Houndoom_Lover
7th December 2009, 03:36 PM
:0 I like houndooms.

Babamn

MToolen
7th December 2009, 05:31 PM
That's my last name and the first letter of my first name in front of it. There aren't many Toolens but there are enough that I can still be somewhat anonymous, so there.

Bear
7th December 2009, 07:04 PM
I registered under this name.

It means squirrel

Unbraced
7th December 2009, 07:17 PM
I'm one of the few people who never has to wear braces.

Ayeun
7th December 2009, 07:33 PM
Ayeun was my first long term Roleplaying character... Made sence to me...

Crazy Elf Boy
7th December 2009, 07:38 PM
My name pretty much came from days at school playing Counterstrike, were all my other friends had permanent names like Chunky or Capn' Booze. One of my nicknames at school was Elf Child, since I am not very tall and have a known affinity for the Zelda games, also I was known to be quite crazy playing games as well as playing sports. So it went from Crazy Elf Child to Crazy Elf Boy.

PNT510
7th December 2009, 08:25 PM
My older brother came up for it when I was young and he was making me an AOL account. PNT stands for Peter Nicholas Thompson which is my name and 510 stands for May 10th my birthday. I've used it at most places after that because I am too lazy to come up with a new one.

Drago
7th December 2009, 10:20 PM
I originally registered an account under the name 'Antman', a rarely-used nickname I had when I was a kid. I made three posts and, a day later, decided I really didn't like it. So I attempted to register under the name Draco, the name of my first Dragonite. That name was taken, so I decided to just look at the Dragonite part, and fiddle with that one. Hence, DragoKnight. Not really creative, and I don't really even think of the name anymore. It's just become really familiar and unnoticeable to me these days.

Katie
7th December 2009, 10:48 PM
My older brother came up for it when I was young and he was making me an AOL account. PNT stands for Peter Nicholas Thompson which is my name and 510 stands for May 10th my birthday. I've used it at most places after that because I am too lazy to come up with a new one.
You know those moments when you finally realize something so obvious that you sit there mentally berating yourself for being so oblivious? ME.

My first name was DarkMisty. Misty was cool, but fire was cooler than water. Fire is kinda evil. Evil/Darkness is cool to 13 year olds. DarkMisty happened. I changed my name to a lot of other stupid things, but I can't remember many of them.

Then I changed my name to Katie, because my name is Jessica.

PNT510
7th December 2009, 11:43 PM
We can also go with Onix11's version that it stands for Pants10

PancaKe
7th December 2009, 11:46 PM
I've always thought of you as Pants

Clark
8th December 2009, 12:35 AM
i'm superman.

shazza
8th December 2009, 02:16 AM
In middle of 2000, a friends mother of mine started calling me "shaz" or "shazza" and I enjoyed it (unaware that it's a nickname for Sharon). I joined here in November 2000, added the pokemaster prefix so I'm in tune with a Pokemon theme. As for 2000, well, it was the year 2000 and '2000' sounded awesome.

I changed it to shazza by 2002, and shazza has primarily been my online pseudonym (I've also had Geovicsha and jeeves), and sometimes shazza4life and shazzatpm. During like 2004-2006, many of my friends started calling me shazza or shaz, but this has generally stopped now.

...Riveting tale.

Mr. Brightside
8th December 2009, 05:55 AM
Well, Mr.Brightside obviously refers to the song by The Killers. There is more though to it than this. My internet/forum life begun in khvids.net where i'm not known as Aeon Sora. After i left this place (well at least for a few months) i felt like changing my name in other forums.

Now The killers got me into rock music, "Somebody told me" actually was the first rock song i liked and made me search the rock genre. Some time later i listened to "Mr. Brightside" and i loved that song. The title seemed attractive and it still seems to me for some weird reason. I can get teary listening to it because whenever i am down this song pop out of nowhere on the radio and cheers me up. It is weird but i feel somehow connected to that song. Plus i had a very difficult teen years and at my middle teens i was very depressed and suicidal. Go figure. I had to struggle a lot to get "out of the darkness" as i say, and especially since i had and kinda still have issues with my self respect and confidence . So a few years ago i decided to keep a more positive attitude and look at the bright side of the things.

Something that actually worked in many ways. So i combined my love to that song with my positive attitude in life and now i'm Mr. Brightside in most of the places i am a member.

Blademaster
8th December 2009, 10:27 AM
In middle of 2000, a friends mother of mine started calling me "shaz" or "shazza" and I enjoyed it (unaware that it's a nickname for Sharon). I joined here in November 2000, added the pokemaster prefix so I'm in tune with a Pokemon theme. As for 2000, well, it was the year 2000 and '2000' sounded awesome.

I changed it to shazza by 2002, and shazza has primarily been my online pseudonym (I've also had Geovicsha and jeeves), and sometimes shazza4life and shazzatpm. During like 2004-2006, many of my friends started calling me shazza or shaz, but this has generally stopped now.

...Riveting tale.

What does Vejodi mean?

Also, I named myself after a Yu-Gi-Oh! card called the Buster Blader. My favorite card when I was going through the whole YGO phase. Bladermaster looked stupid, Bladebuster was tempting, Blademaster was close to that so I grabbed it and ran with it. Also, swords rock. Not Japanese swords like every other Internet dork likes, either. I'm talking about those 400-pound European swords that can smash through plate armor like it was tissue paper.

Mew Master
8th December 2009, 10:33 AM
When I was first exposed to the massive world that was THE INTERNET, it was a few years after starting my interest in Pokemon. Of course I saw Mew as one of the cutest/most versatile PKMN out there during the RBY Gen, and managed to Shark-Hack one for myself (Curse you Nintendo).

As I spent time in the MSN Chats (back when they were still around) I was looking for a screen name for myself mostly, and settled on 'mewmaster.' However that was taken, so I went with 'mewmaster0' which is still my Yahoo IM/E-Mail name. I joined TPM in 01 with this name because Mew Master was taken.

Some time later, TPM allowed for a name switch and thus I became 'Super Mew Master' as per my ezBoard login. So I had this name for a while as well.

Later, they still allowed for name switching and I found that 'Mew Master' was available, and thus we have my current name. Although everyone else knows me by my real name by now. Or if they don't they can sure as hell guess....

Weasel Overlord
8th December 2009, 11:51 AM
Well, Weasel comes from my rl nickname, which I got because I'm uncommonly good at weaselling my way through busy crowds of people. Also, I have orange hair like a weasel, heh. The Overlord part is cos I have delusions of grandeur. And it amuses me when people think I'm a dude, lol. No idea why. I've been toying with the idea of changing my name, actually. Anyone who talks to me on msn will know my other online alias, Salamander, which is what I'd change to, should I actually... change. Yeah.

Telume
8th December 2009, 01:16 PM
Well, Weasel comes from my rl nickname, which I got because I'm uncommonly good at weaselling my way through busy crowds of people. Also, I have orange hair like a weasel, heh. The Overlord part is cos I have delusions of grandeur. And it amuses me when people think I'm a dude, lol. No idea why. I've been toying with the idea of changing my name, actually. Anyone who talks to me on msn will know my other online alias, Salamander, which is what I'd change to, should I actually... change. Yeah.

Maybe it's because not too many people think of an Overlord as a girl? Society's stereo-types ftl.

Mew Master
8th December 2009, 01:29 PM
I think it's more of the "Lord" title is exclusive to men, while "Lady" is to females of the ruling class.

Lady Vulpix
8th December 2009, 02:20 PM
Lady Vulpix: Vulpix because it's one of my favorite pokemon and I felt it was fitting for a Pokemon forum. Lady because I wanted to make sure everyone got my gender right.

During the first hack when my account got deleted I registered L. Vulpix until I got my old account back. That was just an abbreviation. And I used Lady_Vulpix and LadyVulpix when we moved to boards where spaces in usernames weren't supported.

...And that would be it for my TPM names, except for that time when I registered Lilirins Blankc for an experiment, which turned out to be quite successful. That's a childhood name of mine, which literally means "pretty butterfly star" in a language I created when I was 7.

shazza
8th December 2009, 09:59 PM
What does Vejodi mean?

It, along with some random numbers, was the default password my then ISP gave. I was like "Hey that's cool! I'll remember that one!". Fin.

Pichu Luver
10th December 2009, 04:42 PM
I originally joined under this name in 2001 because I liked Pichu and I wanted to be 'creative' so chose Luver instead of Lover as I thought it looked better. I dropped off the boards for a while in 2005 and re-joined at Twilight Lune. I think it was because I forgot my password and couldn't get the email to work. I chose that name as I thought the half-light between day and night was cool; and I have always liked stargazing.

I dropped off again and wanted to change my name, so I re-joined as Asayake, before switching it to River. Asayake was chosen as it means 'morning glow' and I am an early bird so I prefer it to twilight, lol. River as it's a play on my r/l name and I thought I should have a user-name in a language I actually speak. Finally I got back into this one, which I'd wanted to do since Twilight Lune, but didn't realize I could as I'm an idiot like that.

mr_pikachu
10th December 2009, 05:29 PM
Brian (http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Brian.html)
Origin: Gaelic
Meaning: noble, strong, virtuous; hill
Used in: English and Gaelic speaking countries
Additional info: The name Brian has historically enjoyed popularity in Ireland, no doubt influenced by Brian Boru, a great High King of Ireland. The name is shared by Queen guitarist Brian May, 'The Beach Boys' songwriter Brian Wilson, former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and cricketer Brian Lara. 'Monty Python's The Life of Brian' is a comedy film about a man mistaken for the Messiah.

mr_pikachu (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=1188)
Origin: Pokémon
Meaning: Pikachu Sensei
Used in: The PokéMasters Forums
Additional info: mr_pikachu is a moderator of Fanfiction, Advanced Generation, and their subforums. The name is revered, despised, and ignored in turns. Over half of the world's population shares the moniker "Mr."

PancaKe
10th December 2009, 10:02 PM
It, along with some random numbers, was the default password my then ISP gave. I was like "Hey that's cool! I'll remember that one!". Fin.

I thought Vejodi was like... Dragon Ball Z character or something. It sounds like Vegita. :D

Telume
10th December 2009, 10:04 PM
I thought Vejodi was like... Dragon Ball Z character or something. It sounds like Vegita. :D

He'd have to have been something like SSJ or something, like EVERY OTHER DBZ fanboy back in that era. D:

Blademaster
11th December 2009, 05:55 AM
Vegita

I want to hurt you now.

Rossymore
13th December 2009, 10:36 AM
My Username is the fact I have no real imagination! >_>

It's just my first name with 'ymore' on the end of it.

Whooo...

Crystalmaster Mike
13th December 2009, 10:41 AM
I came here from the 'sketch board' on the main TPM site. You know, where there was an mspaint etch-a-sketch pane at the top, and a chat box below? Over there, I developed the username cool cat 13. After all this time, I'm not even sure whether it was capitalized, spaceless or underscored anywhere there in.
Cool was what I wanted to be, and 13 I was, I suppose, when I first started using the name. I know I'm apparently registered here since April 2001, so that would have made me... hey, 13 by then. Go figure

Anyway, my earliest posts all were under that username. After sometime, though, I got tired of it, perhaps because I kept being reminded of the n00b I was in the pre-beginning.
So for some time, I changed it to Machampharos. I like Machamp, and perhaps I stuck the ampharos in it to recreate the feeling of a book I read when I was young. It contained all sorts of made-up names for animals, like Grandpa Rrot, which combine two names to make a new one. Plus, that's the basis of a lot of Pokémon names, too.

But, it didn't last. By then, I had a semi-thought-out idea of a fanfic I wanted to write, starring me as the Marty Stu. Alas, nothing ever came of 'cept a word document collecting dust in a virtual drawer. The important part was, Mike Vihte, the protagonist, would come up into the possession of a certain item after becoming the Pokémon Champion. Inspired by recent (?) events in the animé, this was the mysterious crystal PokéBall engraved with a C, the C-Ball. And so that's why I started calling myself... Crystalmaster Mike. And really, after all this time, I'm hard against changing it, though I'd wish I could reinvent myself sometimes. I use cMike a lot to register in scoreboards of online games and such. CMasterMike is my abandoned AOL account.
You know, I've got plenty of potential candidates for another username. Only one thing: it'd be really strange to change it to something like Crystal Master Mike. Just doesn't feel right anymore...

MeLoVeGhOsTs
13th December 2009, 03:24 PM
Cuz I'm a nub.

Crystal Mew
13th December 2009, 06:03 PM
When I first registered I was Clefairy Girl (how lame was that) and decided to choose Crystal Mew...and honestly I dont know how or why I picked this, but I thought it sounded cool togther. and there you have it