PDA

View Full Version : The Pokémon Company's Twitter account revealed to be fake

Jeff
9th December 2009, 03:27 PM
Not long after reports that The Pokemon Company opened an official Twitter account (http://twitter.com/PokemonCompany) earlier this month, the account was revealed to be a fake.

Among the updates that were posted there was this one, which brought widespread attention to the account:

Arceus is powerful, but it isn't the last Pokémon. Many new lands with new Pokémon have yet to be explored!

An obvious reference to Generation 5, which fans have been hoping for for quite some time.

Minutes ago, the following was posted revealing the account to be a fake:

you're all the bunch of f***ing idiots, lol.

and

this account didnt get hacked. I faked it from the begining! LOL! c***suckers

UPDATE:
The Twitter account has been found to belong to Youtube user Giancarloparimango11, however links to that Youtube account have since been removed from the Twitter page.

mr_pikachu
9th December 2009, 03:29 PM
I, for one, am surprised that Pokemon doesn't yet have an official Twitter account. Something tells me that's going to be the logical next step.

Houndoom_Lover
9th December 2009, 03:33 PM
This-a breaks my-a heart! :0 <-Mario

I wasn't aware they had a fake-Twitter, much less a real one.

mr_pikachu
9th December 2009, 03:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, how did they confirm that it was a fake? Did the Pokemon Company deliver a press release? Otherwise, it seems reasonable that a hacker might try to say he or she was controlling it from the start.

Jeff
9th December 2009, 03:40 PM
Lol, yeah, same here.

I just found out about it today, apparently it was reported on yesterday and the owner of it revealed it as a fake after realizing he fooled Bulbagarden and Pokebeach, you know, for the lulz.

I figured I should post this anyway, since it goes to show how easily Twitter accounts can be faked and shouldn't be trusted.

Edit: according to our old friend WPM, The Pokemon Company is trying to have it removed.

Lady Vulpix
9th December 2009, 08:23 PM
Why would they make a Twitter account when they already have a website where they can put everything they want?

mr_pikachu
9th December 2009, 08:39 PM
Well, some people prefer Twitter to web browsing nowadays. I recently talked with a few small business owners, and they basically said it was worthwhile to try to hit their target audience on all fronts. That means a website, E-mails, Twittering, Facebooking, MySpacing, going to conventions, mailing information, distributing fliers, and so forth. Going after every halfway-legitimate communication channel is all part of the game.

Besides, much of Pokemon's target audience falls into that "I'd rather Twitter than go a website" group. Texting is taking over the world.

Telume
9th December 2009, 09:37 PM
Wow, to fool Bulbagarden and Pokebeach.... just WOW.

Exactly why I don't like nor trust twitter or any social sites to that extent.

Master Rudy
10th December 2009, 03:26 AM
Guess this makes TPC the latest victim in the matter. At this point I've lost track of how many companies and celebs have been faked on Twitter, My Space, ect. It's kinda sad really because then when the actual person or company really does want to go the route of doing their own account it leaves people questionable.