PDA

View Full Version : The Bashoto League

Shade the Light Gym Leader
13th April 2003, 06:55 AM
Shade Not my first fic, but my first attempt at a good one. :) Whaddaya think?

The Bashoto League

Chapter One – Just Starting Out

I woke up at 6:02 A.M. exactly.
I was breathing in short spurts, extremely excited. I had been dreaming about what today would bring.
Today was an extremely important day in my life. Not only was today my birthday, but it was also the day that I was to travel to Dewleaf City.
You see, I had been a long time since I had actually become a Pokémon trainer, starting out with a Cyndaquil, Cinder. Cinder was my male Cyndaquil that I had adopted out of the wild. He was unique in that he had a bright purple flame, and his skin and flame sparkled brighter than a normal Cyndaquil’s.
I left Cinder at the Pokémon lab south of my house, with Professor Todd, the local Pokémon expert. He took care of him for me, and I routinely went out with him to train in the wild grass about a ten-minute walk from our house.
Before, I had been afraid to leave home. I felt too young to compete in the Bashoto League. But, turning twelve, I figured I was older than a lot of the ten-year-old trainers who were already totally fine, taking care of themselves. Besides, Andy and Michael, my best friends, were also starting their journeys to the League tomorrow. They both already had their starters, but kept them as pets, more than battlers. So my Cyndaquil had much more experience than them.
Andy slowly stirred. “What is it?” he grumbled.
Michael awoke too. “We need rest, guys, or we’ll never be able to get going when we leave home today…”
Andy and Michael had spent the night, as a party for my birthday. We had eaten pizza and cake and played Super Smash Bros. Melee all night.
Andy’s Pokéball rolled off his belt and out of his sleeping bag. He watched it as it popped open.
“Tree…” said Kavu, wiping his eyes. He was still groggy, as we had woken him up too. Kavu picked up his red cap with the bunny ears on it and put it on. He also slipped on his blue jacket (that looked identical to mine).
Now, Michael’s Pokéball fell out of his backpack and also opened.
“Toto,” said Michael’s Totodile, Judo. It wiped its brow, still tired. Its loose karate outfit was held up by a black belt. Its bright yellow eyes were looking none too bright right now.
“Great,” I said. “You woke the Pokémon.”
As soon as I had said that, both Kavu and Judo both fell over and went back to sleep.
I had a sweatdrop.
The three of us changed into our trainer clothes. Going out in our pajamas wasn’t something that was generally done around the town of Oviroot.
Michael slipped on his leisurely T-Shirt and greenish-brown shorts. He swung his backpack over his shoulder, and attached Judo’s Pokéball to his belt.
He went downstairs to eat breakfast.
Andy put on one of his red Hawaiian shirts with palm tree silhouettes along the bottom and his white vest. He wore blue jeans.
I put on a white T-Shirt like Michael’s and blue jeans like Andy’s. I then put on my blue jacket that looked just like Kavu’s. (Everybody copied my clothes.)
Andy and I went downstairs to see Michael gulping down a huge heap of eggs. He was extremely hungry today, unlike usual.
Andy and I chuckled. “A little hungry there, huh, Michael?” said Andy.
Michael smiled sheepishly. “Your mom’s eggs are pretty good,” he said.
My ten-year-old sister, Sara, was sitting across the table from Michael, eating a bowl of Cheerios. She was already dressed in a white shirt, long, khaki pants, and her black bandana. She had her brown, curly hair done up in a ponytail.
“Is Cinder at the lab?” asked Sara.
“I dropped him off last night, Sara…”
Andy and I sat down to eat, too. Mom and Dad were excited.
“It’ll be nice without all the bickering that you two do,” said Mom jokingly.
“Yes,” my dad said, pulling his fist down in victory.
“What?” I asked. “You’ll still have Sara here…”
“Er…” said Dad. Mom and Dad looked at each other.
“I’m coming too!” said Sara.
I sighed. “Oh well,” I said. “The more the merrier.”
Inside, I was kind of happy, but kind of annoyed. I loved my sister, and she was a fun person to play video games, but I didn’t know how good of a traveling partner she’d be.
After breakfast, Sara and I had to pack our bags. Andy and Michael waited for us at the door.
I put my Game Boy Advance SP, my Pokémon Sapphire version, my GBA Link Cable, and my battery adapter in the left side pocket. In the right side pocket went my water bottle. In the large pocket, I put a sleeping bag and changes of clothes. In the next-largest pocket, I put books, a bag of food, and my unused Pokédex. In the smallest pocket, I put nothing.
My sister packed the same as I had, except that she put her collapsible scooter and helmet in her second-largest pocket. She also had a Ruby version of Pokémon, rather than Sapphire. We planned to battle virtually for fun during to trip.
We didn’t share a long goodbye with my parents, since we knew there would be video phones at every Pokémon Center ahead.

Now, the Pokémon Lab was a cool place. It was a circular building with a glass dome roof, like a greenhouse. There was machinery working all the time, whether one was analyzing a hair from a Piloswine, one was listing all of the attacks that a Nidoking could successfully do, or one was downloading information from the MBL Trainer Profile base, there was always the familiar hum of machinery working. A hall right down the middle of the wide, open room from the door led to the desk of Prof. Todd.
Sara, Andy, Michael and I dodged hurrying Aides, trying not to run into those who were carrying stacks of papers especially. When we reached Prof. Todd’s desk, he greeted us warmly.
“Hello!” he said.
“What’s all of the rush in here?” said Sara.
“With four new certified MBL trainers on the loose, there is a lot of information we have to process, like your Pokémon roster, your I.D. number, your certificates that certify you as trainers… It’s a mess, quite frankly.”
“Sorry,” Andy said sheepishly.
“No problem,” Prof. Todd said with a smile.
He led us to the back room, which led to the huge pen where the Pokémon were. The place was teeming with Pokémon that Prof. Todd had to take care of while trainers transferred their Pokémon to him.
Cinder and Marsh, a Mudkip at the place, were playing with a ball, throwing, rolling, and bouncing it to each other in weird ways to see if they could catch it.
Cinder then rolled up into a ball and bounced, right into the rubber ball. They bounced off each other, and Cinder flew backwards and fell into a small pond containing some Water-types. Cinder uncurled and started happily splashing around. Marsh ran to the pond and jumped in too, and the two started seeing who could make a bigger splash.
I interrupted quickly, knowing how Cinder could hurt himself if he got splashed too hard, and picked up my Cyndaquil. He was dripping wet, and I wiped off his head with the towel in my backpack.
“It looks like you were enjoying yourself,” I said.
“Cynda, cyndaquiiil!” Cinder chirped. His purple flame started up on his back again, and he was no longer dripping.
Marsh swam to the edge of the pool, jumped out, and ran into Sara’s arms.
“What’s up, Marsh?”
“Mudkip!” said Marsh.
“It’s really too bad we couldn’t give you Marsh,” said Todd. “She is obviously the only Pokémon here to take to you so kindly.”
Sara sighed, and put Marsh back onto the ground. Marsh looked a bit sad, too.
“So, I guess what we need to do is find Sara a Pokémon, huh?”
“Yep,” said Sara.
Prof. Todd motioned for Sara to follow him, and they left in search of a Pokémon for Sara.
Andy and Michael released their Pokémon.
Kavu stretched and yawned, but Judo immediately starting running around in pure bliss. Michael started to chase after his partner, and they made a fun game out of it.
“Well, there’s a Pokémon who perfectly suits its trainer,” said Andy.
“Dang right,” I replied.
I sat down, leaning against a huge tree on which many Bug and Flying Pokémon had their nests. Cinder, being such a sleepy Pokémon, immediately curled up in my lap and began to nap.
I wondered what the journey around the continent would be like. I had always dreamed of becoming a Pokémon trainer. I had seen on television how happy people had been, winning huge Pokémon tournaments and sharing the awards with their best friends, their Pokémon companions. I wanted to share that feeling, and just like I loved having friends, I would love having Pokémon.
I began to dream about what my first battle in the Bashino League would be like, if I could make it there…
“Welcome, one and all, to the Bashino League tournament! This, as you all know, is the biggest Pokémon-related event this side of Bashoto!
Today, we begin the first match of the 23rd annual Bashoto League Tournament! In this first match, a new trainer to the world of Pokémon will compete, although he is already known worldwide as…”
Andy shoved me awake.
“Oh,” I said. “Sorry…”
“Dreaming again?”
“Sure am.”
I saw Sara and Prof. Todd coming up the side of a hill and got up. Cinder fell of my lap, waking up, and for a second he looked like he was about to Tackle me. Instead, he jumped up onto my shoulder. I walked over to them. Sara had a Pokéball in her hand.
“Oooh,” I said, “Lemme see what Pokémon you got!”
Sara smiled proudly and threw her Pokéball into the air. In an explosion of white light, a small silhouette appeared and landed on Sara’s head lightly.
“Treecko!” said the Pokémon.
“A Treecko?” I asked as Sara caught the ball. “Why a Treecko?”
I was all up for originality, and since Andy already had a Treecko, I didn’t think it was very cool to pick the same Pokémon as him. Just another flaw of my personality, back then.
Sara looked at me as if I was totally stupid. “Because I like it, and it likes me.”
Treecko glared at me.
“And you can call him Venom, thank you,” added Sara.
Venom nodded.
“Well, I’ve got to get back to the lab,” said Prof. Todd. “You kids have fun!”
He left hurriedly.
Sara and I, without a word, began walking toward the lab again. We figured Andy and Michael were waiting for us somewhere near the door.
And sure enough, they were.
That’s when I had an idea.
“Hey,” I said, “why don’t we test out our Pokémon in battle?”
“You mean, right now?” asked Andy. He looked a little nervous.
“Yep,” I said. “We can do a Multi Battle.”
“I pick Pablo’s team!” cried Michael.
Andy walked over to Sara. “Okay,” he said, “It’s you and me.”
Sara blushed very, very, very slightly.

EDIT Stuff...

Mr Mayor
13th April 2003, 07:11 AM
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. This fic, is very, very. VERY well done. I can't find a single flaw, other then everyone has a starter from the games, but that doesn't matter. The main character in my fic does as well. Great first chapter, and you can expect me to continue reading!

13th April 2003, 01:41 PM
Shade Oh my gosh! You really think so? ^_^;; Thanks.

I'll try and post a new chapter every Sunday at the latest.

Tainted
13th April 2003, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I'd also have to say that this fic is flawless so far... I didn't notice one spelling or grammatical mistake... great...
Its a tad bit cliche and a tad bit original, but almost all trainer fics are cliche so don't worry...

Overall, its a great fic!

If you wouldn't mind, my fic isn't doing too well in the replies market... lol... the links in my sig...

2ra
20th April 2003, 11:38 AM
Lol I havn't seen a fic with Cyndaquil in a while, keep up the good work ^_^

21st April 2003, 06:24 PM
Shade Sorry for being late. *coughlikeanyonecarescough* ;)

Chapter Two – The Rhythm of Battle

The four of us walked back into the field, looking for a wide, open space not already occupied by Pokémon. After only a few minutes of searching, we found a large, grassy hill with nothing on it.
Andy and Sara walked over to the west side of the hill, while Michael and I took the east. We turned to face each other.
“Are you ready?” I shouted.
“Ready when you are!” Andy replied.
Michael turned to me and nodded. “I’m ready to start, too.”
“Okay,” I said. “Go, Cinder!”
Cinder, who had still been on my shoulder, jumped off and landed a few yards in front of me. He let out a cry, and his purple flame sprung up.
Michael followed my lead, and tossed a Lure Ball onto the field. A flash of white light appeared, and when it dimmed, Judo stood in its place. Judo jumped up happily, his legs flailing about, displaying his excitement very effectively.
“Go, Kavu!” shouted Andy.
“Go, Venom!” Sara cried.
Andy tossed his Luxury Ball as Venom bounded off of Sara’s shoulder and landed on the field.
Kavu limbered up and stretched as Venom brushed dirt off of her tail. She then adjusted the black bandana Sara had given her.
Kavu turned to see who his partner was.
She was beautiful. The bright, yellow eyes… the perfect Treecko shape… the clean tail… Kavu was instantly infatuated.
He turned away with a heavy blush that quickly faded when he remembered that he was in battle. Then, Venom turned to see her partner.
He was so handsome. The burly, strapping physique… the weird (in a cute way) outfit… the strong-looking eyes… Venom was instantly infatuated.
Venom then heard the cry of Cinder across the field, and remembered that she was in battle.
“Cinder,” I cried, “start off with your Rollout. Aim for speed, but don’t try to tackle either of them yet. Use our training patterns!”
“Judo,” followed Michael, “Start off by trying to lock one of them into your jaws!”
“Kavu,” commanded Andy, “Use a Bullet Seed to try and slow down Cinder!”
“Venom,” shouted Sara, “when Judo gets close to one of you, Absorb his health and try to sap his energy!”
Cinder jumped up into the air, and rolled up into a ball. He landed on the side of the hill, and rolled down it. He then used the momentum to direct himself back up the hill. He was building up his attack in a way that made him nearly impossible to slow down. However, Kavu did see the pattern in Cinder’s movement very quickly, but waited silently for Cinder to be within range. And sure enough, Cinder came. Kavu inhaled, and formed the juices within his stomach into solid, seed-like structures. He then puckered his lips, and started to rapid-fire spit them at Cinder.
“Cinder, turn the spin sideways!”
Cinder was still in a ball, so he could shift his weight slightly to the side. He rotated 90 degrees.
“Now, quick, let your flame up!”
Cinder, who was already at a high temperature from rotating so fast, easily ignited his flame. The purple fire surrounded his body as he whirled so quickly. The seeds Kavu fired hit the flame and burned into ashes.
“Back upright!”
Cinder rotated back upwards, and his flame went back down as he started to roll again.
“Latch onto it, and quickly!” shouted Michael.
Judo appeared out of nowhere, right next to Kavu. Judo locked his jaws tightly onto Kavu’s tail before he could react. In pain, Kavu could not concentrate, so he wasn’t able to pull off an Absorb attack. Venom had not caught Judo quickly enough.
“Venom, it’s okay!” Sara shouted. “Pound on that crocodile until he lets go!”
Venom regained confidence, as was easily shown in her eyes. She ran towards Judo, who paid no attention. Judo had his eyes closed in delight, as if he was enjoying the taste of Kavu’s tail. Kavu was writhing in pain on the ground. Judo allowed himself to be lifted off his feet when Kavu got in a weird position as he kept his grip strong.
Venom jumped onto Judo and held on tight. Judo still took no notice. Venom mustered all of her strength into a very strong pound, making Judo abruptly wake up. It cried, letting go of Kavu in the process. Kavu sighed in relief for one split second.
“Cinder, run it over!”
Cinder came at an extremely high speed up the hill, rolling right toward the exhausted Kavu. Kavu only noticed just in time and jumped to dodge him. Cinder rolled straight around, turning back toward Kavu. He was so fast that he collided with Kavu just as he was landing. Kavu was brutally battered and breathing heavily. Cinder continued is roll, turning back around for the finishing blow. Kavu desperately tried to pull himself up, but to no avail. He collapsed and waited to be flattened.
But then, out of nowhere, Judo ran in between Cinder and Kavu. Kavu was excited because he was sure that the blow would in effect hit Judo, causing him to faint instead. But then Judo was thrown out of the way by Venom, who pounded him again to make him afraid. And then the Rollout hit Venom.
Kavu gave up. He then fainted.
“Kavu, return!” said Andy in defeat. He held up the Luxury Ball, and a beam of red light shot out, hitting Kavu. Kavu turned into a bright red, and was sucked into the beam, which pulled him into the Pokéball.
Venom flew through the air, and then landed with a thud. She was outnumbered and sure that she would lose. And sure enough, Cinder came back for more as Judo ran up for a Bite. Cinder came first, though, and knocked Venom into the air. As she flew, Judo gave a major leap up to her and locked his jaws onto her tail as she flew.
“That’s enough…” said Sara as she returned Venom to her Pokéball.
Judo was left with nothing to grab, so he started happily yelling in excitement. As soon as he touched ground, he dashed over to Michael and started dancing.
“Judo!” said Michael in delight. “We did it!”
Michael started to do a funny dance himself in celebration. Like trainer, like Pokémon.
Cinder ran up to me and jumped into my arms, squealing in delight. We had won our first battle!
“You did a great job, Cinder. Our training paid off.”
I turned to Michael, who was just as happy as me. We did our secret handshake, and then shared a high-five.
Andy and Sara walked over to me and Michael.
“Nice match,” I said while shaking Andy’s hand.
Andy glared slightly, envious that he had lost. “How could you have won?”
I smiled and replied, “You just gotta get into the rhythm of battle.”
Michael nodded. “Judo, being so energetic, is great in battle. He has the energy to keep his rhythm going.”
“If you paid attention,” I continued, “Cinder’s Rollout was almost choreographically moving up and down the sides of the hill, in a pattern that allowed him to take advantage of his opportunities.”
Sara nodded. “I saw that.”
Andy just sighed.
“Umm, guys,” said Sara, “I think it’d be a good time to heal our Pokémon.” She smiled slightly. Sara never took losing seriously.
Andy knelt down and opened his backpack.
“I got some revive spray,” he said, while handing one to Sara. He took one himself, and handed me a Super Potion.
“Thanks,” said Sara when she sprayed the bottle on her limp Pokémon and it revitalized.
Andy did the same, but Kavu was pretty down about losing and just stood up and walked to Andy’s side without a word.
I put the Super Potion into my backpack. Cinder had winced at the sight of it, as if he didn’t need it.
“Ok, buddy.” I said with a chuckle, “but if you are in pain later on, don’t blame me.”
Cinder nodded with a squeal.